Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Rubbish tyres on the majority of cars

Options
  • 11-11-2014 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81,545 ✭✭✭✭
    M

Was having a look at car tyre brands recently on both cars I was looking to buy and cars parked up. I would say on cars not on their original factory fitted sets that not even 1 in 3 cars have any decent quality brand on them, just the cheapest rubbish possible to purchase. This is not limited to your average car it's on high end stuff too, some people just don't put a value on their safety.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

It's not that people dont put value on their safety. It's just ignorance pure and simple.

If its being sold in a garage and passes the NCT there cant be much wrong with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

I remember when I started driving (when i was 24), I didn't know a bloody thing about tyres and safety/handling never even crossed my mind. Tyres were a pain in the arse, along with tax and insurance. I'm the polar opposite now and spend far too much on tyres.

So it would be a bit two faced to give out about people who don't think/realise what they're doing, but a Government initiative like the RSA's see and be seen campaign should be setup to inform about tyres. The huge majority of people, even those into their cars, go with the cheapest tyre available.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭Tails142

I was in Atlas tyres in Blanchardstown the other day. Was getting two front tyres fitted, Bridgestones costing €235 a corner. A girl came in with a puncture and wanted a new tyre because it was worn anyway. So the guy gives her a few prices and she decided on a €60 tyre, didnt overhear the brand but it was a Ford Focus she was driving so seems reasonable enough price for an economy brand. I wouldn't think you would be getting anything for less than €50 on a focus, even a ling lang.

Anyway she is on the phone to her dad a few minutes later and he obviously tells her she is being ripped off. So she goes up to the desk demanding they stop work and give her the car back. So the fitter comes out and says he already has the new tyre on the rim. She starts kicking up about it and the guy behind the desk is like ok, I can take the new tyre off the rim again and put the punctured tyre back on but it is going to cost €15 as that is our standard fitting charge and we have used a valve plus wasted our time etc etc. She starts kicking off even worse saying how they are ripping her off etc and eventually they just give her the keys to her car back and she drives off with the spare wheel on and the punctured wheel back on the rim in her boot. All the hassle for what, at most ten euro!! And all the while I'm sitting there like a spa paying for one tyre what she would pay for four. Some people....

^^ Unreal. My sister recently got basic-mid range tyres for her Focus and they were €90 a corner. Was a few months back so can't remember exactly what they were.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

There are two sides to this story.

1. The first thing most people ask when buying tyres is "What's the cheapest tyres you have in xx size?". Recommend a decent brand and same people think they are being fleeced.

2. Cheapest never heard of branded tyres usually give the tyre centre their biggest margin so combined with no 1 above they try and push the sale of these as this is what the average punter wants. There also can be a lot of cobblers being spouted about unknown cheap ditch finders being cheaper tyres made by premium tyre companies for the lower end of the market. You will be buying a good tyre for a fraction of the price of a great tyre.

Generally though on cars for sale by garages if the cars come in with tyres that need replacing then chances are they will replace them at the lowest cost to them as part of the sale. This usually transpires into unknown branded but "new" tyres.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Some people will spend more on their Nike trainers than their tyres. :D

NCT won't tell you that your shiny new Chinese tyres can be lethal in the wet. This is part of the problem IMHO - the aul NCT false sense of security.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

What tyre brands and types would you recommend as acceptable?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    I agree to a certain point, I think spending 250e per corner is far too much to expect the average punter to pay. I got two Kumho's for the TT and I find them an excellent tyre and they were pretty cheap to boot.

I've had Kumhos before and found them OK. There are some decent mid-range tyres. My current Falkens were pretty cheap too, without sacrificing safety.

Kumhos have to be one of the best brands for performance at a decent price.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

When I had to change the 4 tyres on the Mrs's car I went to tyrereviews.co.uk who did a summary of the german Auto Bild all season tests and ended up getting the number 2 in the list, Falken Euroall Season AS200's, 4 of them fitted for 200 stg at mrtyres.

Our local national tyres place was looking for 230 stg for 4 utter ****e chinese tyres.

It pays to do a bit of research.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Was having a look at car tyre brands recently on both cars I was looking to buy and cars parked up. I would say on cars not on their original factory fitted sets that not even 1 in 3 cars have any decent quality brand on them, just the cheapest rubbish possible to purchase. This is not limited to your average car it's on high end stuff too, some people just don't put a value on their safety.

Well surely not too many cars have premium brands like Michelin, Pirelli, Goodyear, etc..

But also not that many cars have the real ditch finders like Triangle, Wanli, Infinity, etc..

I see plenty people put fairly reasonable tyres...

I have Hankook on car my wife drives, and Nankang on my car. I'm happy with both.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

I thought all tyres had to have met a certain safety standard and carry an "E" mark to prove that they had passed this standard. I have four 14 inch tyres of different names on my 206. It's not though I asked for any particular tyre at the tyre centre when I needed one - I just took what I was given. One of the tyres that came with the car is a Pirelli, the other is a Michelen and the other two, I can't remember. There's great thread on all of them. Could the less expensive chinese tyre be every bit as good as the Pirelli? I have a silvercrest Microwave and it's a damn site better than the Samsung it replaced?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

I was asked if I sell second hand tyres by a guy in an M3, when I told him I didn't he asked for whatever the cheapest was. We put Landsail tyres on an M3. There's just no explaining to some people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

I remember being in a tyre place last year getting tyres and I really only buy Goodyear and bridgestones as I prefer them. But a guy came in with an a6 only about a year old s line kit all that so a fairly decent expensive car. Firstly the 4 tyres were well below the 1.6mm and I heard him saying it was his wife's car and they had two young kids yet still worn tyres.

I was paying at the time for mine and a fitter was giving him his options so he started listing the high end stuff 150 euro ish Goodyears michelin then he started dropping down the list got to the lassa, nankangs them kind of brands then he was down to the absolute sh!t unprononcable Chinese crap he lists of one for 70 quid the guy says I'll take that one. What is the point of spending 40k plus euro on a car and then putting your family in it and then turning around and buy the cheapest tyres you can literally get.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

CiniO wrote: »
    Well surely not too many cars have premium brands like Michelin, Pirelli, Goodyear, etc..

But also not that many cars have the real ditch finders like Triangle, Wanli, Infinity, etc..

I see plenty people put fairly reasonable tyres...

I have Hankook on car my wife drives, and Nankang on my car. I'm happy with both.

9/10 cars around the country that roll on 17's 18's & 19's have a cheap chinese tyre on them.

I'd put on money on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Darwin

Just got 2 new Bridgetone's fitted at 200 euro a pop (18's), It wasn't nice handing over that kind of money but I do a fair bit of driving and with winter coming want something decent on the front to replace the Conti's. I got 45K out of the original tyres so not bad going.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

9/10 cars around the country that roll on 17's 18's & 19's have a cheap chinese tyre on them.

I'd put on money on it.

Hands up! I put two of the cheapest tyres money could buy on the front of my 407 SV (17inch tyres standard) before I sold it. I will be selling on my 206 soon so I just spent €45 on a tyre - probably the cheapest tyre I ever bought. I suppose I could have gone for a part worn @€;30!

I have maxxis victra ma-z3 on the front and is Victra Z4s on the back at £65 a corner.

I did have Uniroyal Rainsport 2 on the front, but they were way too soft a sidewall and kept rubbing over bumps.

Shame because they grip was brilliant from them.

The lack of tyre education is unreal. Cheap & Cheerful seems to be the common theme.

I'd put on money on it.

There's plenty of cars with 15's and 16's going around with absolute crap on them. In this case it makes even less as you can get premium tyres for 80 quid in them size yet people still go for the 60 euro crap. Tyres like many things are a case of you get what you pay for. It's actually getting to a stage where it's rare to see Michelins, Goodyears, bridgestones etc on a car.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

some people just don't put a value on their safety.

But aren't all tyres sold required to be of a minimum safety standard? And all tyres are not permitted to wear past a certain level. I'm not sure you can say that people aren't putting a value on their safety.

If somebody has difficulty controlling their car or stopping in time, even on tyres at the lower end of the price range, then I'd be more inclined to think that they're driving too fast or not as good a driver as perhaps they should be. I've driven on all kinds of tyres for years and while yes, some are better than others, I've never skidded or slid dangerously that wasn't my own fault.

The tyres aren't really the issue IMO, unless they're selling stuff that's illegal and hasn't passed the safety tests.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Ah jesus, are ye saying "triangles" are ****e? Got 2 fronts yesterday, 70 quid a pop?

"ditch-finders"? Say it aint so :mad::mad:

catallus wrote: »
    Ah jesus, are ye saying "triangles" are ****e? Got 2 fronts yesterday, 70 quid a pop?

Yep there fairly sh!t you could get worse but not much worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

I was asked if I sell second hand tyres by a guy in an M3, when I told him I didn't he asked for whatever the cheapest was. We put Landsail tyres on an M3. There's just no explaining to some people.
    Did ye at least throw in a fresh pair of jocks for him? Little note on em "you'll be needing these soon"

What size?

Landsail? That a acronym for "aquaplane"

• Registered Users Posts: 81,545 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Jesus. wrote: »
    But aren't all tyres sold required to be of a minimum safety standard? And all tyres are not permitted to wear past a certain level. I'm not sure you can say that people aren't putting a value on their safety..

Here's some tests...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Bpmull wrote: »
    Yep there fairly sh!t you could get worse but not much worse.

Ok, I'm not going to be going to Nurburgring on these yokes but are you saying I should watch out for quick excessive wear in one spot, or is the rubber so crap that it might just go bald after a thousand miles? Should I be looking out for surprises? FML :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

I don't know what's on that video but unless it proves the cheaper tyres have failed to make the minimum grade as set out by the safety bodies, then its not really relevant to what I said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Ok, I'm not going to be going to Nurburgring on these yokes but are you saying I should watch out for quick excessive wear in one spot, or is the rubber so crap that it might just go bald after a thousand miles? Should I be looking out for surprises? FML :(

If you are a sensible steady driver in a low to medium powered vehicle probably be fine until you really need to emergency stop.

• Advertisement

Bpmull wrote: »
    What is the point of spending 40k plus euro on a car and then putting your family in it and then turning around and buy the cheapest tyres you can literally get.

A prime example of owners budgeting for the cost and/or repayments of a car, and f*** the rest.

Advertisement