Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Diesels...... rip?

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

walus wrote: »
    I agree - if diesel it has to be an automatic. Takes the clutch and dmf problems out of the equation as well.

haven't met the bmw diesel comedy auto gearbox yet no ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

visual wrote: »
    Little turbo petrol burning engine oil because it's maxed out and returns bad mpg in real world isn't the way forward.
    Not sure about your implied "only ickle turbo petrols burn oil" seeing as dervs burn oil all day long but...

If the only major downside is extra CO2 (omg the horror) then petrol may indeed be a better option than noxious diesels in citys.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

Sabre Man wrote: »
    Increasing tax on older and dirtier diesel cars would be a good start.

Well that's just silly.

Well that's just silly.

Polluter pays. If the emphasis is changed to actual harmful pollutants rather than CO2 then the opportunity to increase costs for motorists won't be passed up. Will petrol owners see costs fall? Maybe in the same budget that gets rid of temporary taxes and levies.. I wouldn't hold my CO2 laden breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Well that's just silly.

We also need to increase the price on new cars due to the amount of pollution created during their production!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,598 ✭✭✭creedp

Caliden wrote: »
    We also need to increase the price on new cars due to the amount of pollution created during their production!

We also need to substantially increase tax on air travel .. terribly polluting and wasterful

Polluter pays. If the emphasis is changed to actual harmful pollutants rather than CO2 then the opportunity to increase costs for motorists won't be passed up. Will petrol owners see costs fall? Maybe in the same budget that gets rid of temporary taxes and levies.. I wouldn't hold my CO2 laden breath.

Polluter pays? No they don't! Commercials don't. (lower rate for goods vehicles), Also the biggest polluters like airplanes don't.

You can't just introduce a penalty tax on not being able to afford a new sh!tbox 0.5 DCI.
    Actually this would be the second penalty tax, since the CO2 tax is a penalty on owning anything older than '08

Polluter pays? No they don't! Commercials don't. (lower rate for goods vehicles), Also the biggest polluters like airplanes don't.

You can't just introduce a penalty tax on not being able to afford a new sh!tbox 0.5 DCI.
    Actually this would be the second penalty tax, since the CO2 tax is a penalty on owning anything older than '08
    Ah, I think you think I'm in favour of the skew against petrol and CO2??

"polluter pays" is a concept, although not a new one, rather than a statement of current fact.

If you read the thread and the articles it links to then you may see that the gist of the thread is that the current promotion of the latest sh1tbox dci,tdi,sdi,teediddlydiddlyeye etc as the answer for all cars is misguided.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Polluter pays...
    That is nonsense. Unless you charge for usage rather than increasing the standing charge (i.e. all tax in fuel and no ownership tax). A car that is used very little pollutes less that a car used much more and burning a lot of fuel.
    Taxing the car ownership as it has been is not a reflection of charging for usage.

Seweryn wrote: »
    That is nonsense. Unless you charge for usage rather than increasing the standing charge (i.e. all tax in fuel and no ownership tax). A car that is used very little pollutes less that a car used much more and burning a lot of fuel.
    Taxing the car ownership as it has been is not a reflection of charging for usage.
    If you prefer, I'll put "polluter pays" in quotations, with a little footnote 'caution - concepts involved, may not reflect current reality'?

Currently diesel/petrol price is skewed by tax, because "CO2 is EVIL, less CO2 is better no matter what the tradeoff in particulates and nox".

So yes, correcting that by revising the penalising of petrol would be a step towards a more sensible "polluter pays" (caution, this is a concept) policy.

• Advertisement

Ah, I think you think I'm in favour of the skew against petrol and CO2??

"polluter pays" is a concept, although not a new one, rather than a statement of current fact.

If you read the thread and the articles it links to then you may see that the gist of the thread is that the current promotion of the latest sh1tbox dci,tdi,sdi,teediddlydiddlyeye etc as the answer for all cars is misguided.

Ah - understood, we may be on the same page then, apologies!

The polluter does pay however. The older diesels are not so efficient meaning that they use more fuel and pay more duty that way.

Advertisement