Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Rubbish tyres on the majority of cars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

CJhaughey wrote: »
    This new labelling system is adequate but not comprehensive its also self certified.
    I would use it as a guide but not the ultimate arbiter, it doesn't take into account winter tyres either just summer tyres.

The rating system is nothing short of a joke. The recognised tyre manufacturers seem to stick to realistic ratings but when you see some clearly inferior tyres with equal or better ratings to something made by Bridgestone you know something is amiss.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

The rating system is nothing short of a joke. The recognised tyre manufacturers seem to stick to realistic ratings but when you see some clearly inferior tyres with equal or better ratings to something made by Bridgestone you know something is amiss.
    I was trying to be diplomatic, I know its a joke, you know its a joke but Joe soap thinks its great.
    Brought to you by the same people that want to limit the power of domestic vacuum cleaners to save energy....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,445 ✭✭✭Heroditas

ninty9er wrote: »
    My dad recently went to an Indy tyre place who referred him to Advance for Contis.

He didn't bargain for run flats when he moved from the Yaris to a C-Class. I think he's still recovering from the shock

There's plenty of run flats out there that will perform just as well as Contis and at a lesser cost too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Oh dear, Counterfeit tyres are also floating around, see video

In heavy rain, floating around is what they do, I imagine.

also from the same site http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2014/09/chinese-truck-tires-are-no-bargain/index.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭fitzgese

Coming across the same issue here:

went to a few random tyre places I spotted on the way home out of convenience. First one said it was to late to take on a new job (It was about 4 pm in fairness and the place closed at 6). In the second one, guy did a bit of a double take when I said I was looking for premium tyres and asked what he had in stock, spent about 10 mins tapping away at the computer, and then mentioned the name of a tyre brand that's so obscure I can't remember.

Said to him no, I'm looking for something along the lines of Goodyear Eagle F1s or similar, got the reply that "Brand X will work best, i think you should go with them". Left in the end without so much as getting a quote for the tyres I wanted, and will be heading to my old place on Monday, even though it's nowhere near where I live know, at least they will actually sell me the tyres I want. Don't get this attitude at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭enricoh

Goodyear f1 's are pricey to keep in stock, multiply that by 50 different tyre sizes between r14 -r19 n would cost a fortune. N the majority want cheapest option going.
    Used to work in a tyre place n lads would come in looking for 17s or 18s michelin etc to be ordered in, told them the price- yeh no bother order me in 4.
    When we mentioned e100 deposit the majority disappeared

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ferris

Found this article on tyrereview

www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/Autocar-Tyre-Test-Budget-Tyre-Performance.htm

Specifically this bit:
    The results are shocking. To get the full test results you'll need to buy autocar this month, but the results from the wet braking speak for themselves:

Continental: 31.7 metres
    Nankang: 33.8 metres
    GT Radial: 35.8 metres
    Wanli, Triangle and Linglongs: 40.2 metres

The Linglong equipped VW Golf Autocar used for its tests was still doing 27.8mph at the point where it had stopped on the Continentals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Ling long, dy yung.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭FrontDoor

fitzgese wrote: »
    Coming across the same issue here:

went to a few random tyre places I spotted on the way home out of convenience. First one said it was to late to take on a new job (It was about 4 pm in fairness and the place closed at 6). In the second one, guy did a bit of a double take when I said I was looking for premium tyres and asked what he had in stock, spent about 10 mins tapping away at the computer, and then mentioned the name of a tyre brand that's so obscure I can't remember.

Said to him no, I'm looking for something along the lines of Goodyear Eagle F1s or similar, got the reply that "Brand X will work best, i think you should go with them". Left in the end without so much as getting a quote for the tyres I wanted, and will be heading to my old place on Monday, even though it's nowhere near where I live know, at least they will actually sell me the tyres I want. Don't get this attitude at all.
    My experience completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭fitzgese

enricoh wrote: »
    Goodyear f1 's are pricey to keep in stock, multiply that by 50 different tyre sizes between r14 -r19 n would cost a fortune. N the majority want cheapest option going.
    Used to work in a tyre place n lads would come in looking for 17s or 18s michelin etc to be ordered in, told them the price- yeh no bother order me in 4.
    When we mentioned e100 deposit the majority disappeared

That's a fair point, and I can see the logic in asking for a deposit, but this place was completely unwilling to order in the tyres at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

I had a near-accident coming out of Castlebar heading for Achill one day a few years back, even though I was well within the posted speed limit. The road was damp and the car just slowly rotated around me and I slid into the ditch after doing 270 degrees. Luckily for me the ditch had been taken away in preparation for building the block wall that was there the next week. I'd always have considered that I was a careful driver not overstepping my own or my machine's boundaries, but that event was an eye opener for sure. For the rest of that weekend away the car was nervous on bends at slow speeds and very very understeery on roundabouts.

Once I got home, I changed the really crappy ditchfinders on my Passat estate for Conti Premium Contacts the same day and I've never looked back. Emergency braking went from just slowing down, to having items on the rear seat hitting the windscreen. I was stopping a good 40 feet sooner from 60mph. In the 200,000 miles driven since, I've had other people be idiots on the road around me and only for the fact that I had available grip to create space for myself I would have been on the receiving end of being driven into, through no fault of my own.

To those that think that they are careful drivers and can afford to have the low level of emergency grip that ditchfinders have, think this way: If that kid runs out between those parked cars, will that €20 per tyre that you saved be enough to salve your conscience about the damage that you've just done, and would it be worth the mandatory court visit that this situation would entail? How would you feel knowing that for that little bit extra in cost and effort, you could have had the grip there to dig into the ABS and be able to avoid injuring or killing that kid.

No matter *how* careful you are as a driver you will eventually have someone be stupid around you and that is what you need to take account of.

Get the tyres that have the better grip. It's really worth it longterm.

(For reference, I now drive with16" Goodyear Vector 4-Seasons on the A4 estate, and I do not want for grip, wet or dry, warm or cold. Plus they are lasting for a long time as well..)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

I have a full set of Matador MP46 tyres on my yoke, and find them great. Wet performance is perfect so far, and dry too. No complaints whatsoever. Very cheap tyre for what you get. I did do a lot of research before buying however, and it has worked out well thus far. But only time will tell how well they'll wear. Apparently they're a pretty soft compound, which means they wont last as long, but have better grip as a result.

Goodyear efficientgrips are actually cheaper in my size so don't see how it's a budget tyre?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

commited wrote: »
    Goodyear efficientgrips are actually cheaper in my size so don't see how it's a budget tyre?

It was in my size....85 or so for 18/40/225 is cheap!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

It was in my size....85 or so for 18/40/225 is cheap!

Cheapest place I got the same size Efficient Grips last week was €145 a corner meaning a €60 saving.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

What's peoples opinions on Vredestein Sportrac 5?

I had Continental Sport Contact 2 and they cabin noise was crazy, switched to these and the car handles well, good grip in the wet and the cabin noise is much lower.

Paid about €90 a corner

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭v240gltse

Hi all,

got a set of Bridgestone A001 for my E200 Merc ( 150e a tyre ) and WHAT a huge difference in wet/dry grip as well as soooo much quieter than the nankangs that were on it.

just my tuppence worth

v240gltse wrote: »
    got a set of Bridgestone A001 for my E200 Merc ( 150e a tyre ) and WHAT a huge difference in wet/dry grip as well as soooo much quieter than the nankangs that were on it.

They'll definitely be an improvement over the Nankangs but I feel you would have been better with a quality summer tyre imho. They're on the back of a car I use and much noisier than the summer bridgestone tyres on the front.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Daaryl

Yokohama Parade Spec 2's are a savage tire, Made my bmw grip so much better! Would recommend them to anybody, They're a great tire!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭RED PASSION

I agree that good tyres on a car are very important, I drive an Astra OPC.

I bought Continental tyres a good few years back for €180 a tyre, I found this price to be ridiculous, so next time I needed a set I went online looking for cheaper alternatives, I came across Falken tyres and bought them after a good bit of research. I found them to be as good as the Continentals, I could not tell the difference from the drivers seat, never had a dodgy moment from either set of tyres in any weather condition, braking, handling, aquaplaning etc etc. I got the same mileage out of the Falken tyres too.

I now need another set in a few months time, I am stuck in a dilemma whether to buy Falken FK453 for €114 or Continental ContiSportContact 5 for €127.

The reviews for both seem great,
    Falken http://falken-europe.com/node/735
    Continental http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/66048/continental-contisportcontact-5

Is it worth forking out an extra few quid for the Continentals ( a premium brand ) or get the cheaper Falken ones ( mid-range brand) and save €50 on a set.

For such a small price difference the Continentals are a no brainer, far superior tyre!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Just off the phone to my local tyre center. Wanted a price on a full set and the guy recommended Kormoran for €65 a corner(1.2 Clio)

Anybody have any experience with them or recommendations?

What's your tyre profile?

175/65/14.

If it were me:
    4 of these: http://www.oponeo.ie/details-tyre/goodyear-efficientgrip-compact-175-65-r14-82-t#75473688
    That's €200, and pay a tyre shop between €40-50 to fit the lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

Not a problem with Kormorans
    Have them on my Carina.

Middle of the range tyre, probably the best mix of economy and performance imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Just off the phone to my local tyre center. Wanted a price on a full set and the guy recommended Kormoran for €65 a corner(1.2 Clio)

Anybody have any experience with them or recommendations?

I had a set of them and I can best sum them up that once there was a bit of wear on them, they were skittish enough in the wet. Could easily spin the wheels and they needed watching on corners! Funny thing was, they were actually quite good in the snow of 2010!

commited wrote: »
    If it were me:
    4 of these: http://www.oponeo.ie/details-tyre/goodyear-efficientgrip-compact-175-65-r14-82-t#75473688
    That's €200, and pay a tyre shop between €40-50 to fit the lot.

€4 a tyre cheaper than Eiretyres as well.

• Advertisement

Rang another place a bit further away and they were pushing the Kormorans at €55. When i asked had they anything a bit more up market he offered BF's at €65 with free alignment.

Advertisement