Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Rubbish tyres on the majority of cars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,179 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Really? I was getting a new tyre once and the fella told me it has to be the same brand as the other tyre on the axle or else it was a fail?

Also what's the benefit of having the same brand? Is it so they both have the same stopping power? Would it be best to replace both on the axle at the same time?

I ask as I'm due to replace one soon, and this thread has made me decide to not go the cheap route.

Definitely not a fail at the moment.

The idea is to have identical tyres on the same axel rather than just the same brand. The reasoning behind this is because different tyres have different thread patterns and characteristics, mixing different tyres on the same axel can potentially cause unpredictable handling, performance and grip from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

I was asked if I sell second hand tyres by a guy in an M3, when I told him I didn't he asked for whatever the cheapest was. We put Landsail tyres on an M3. There's just no explaining to some people.

I ended up parking near enough to an R8 in ballina a while back. Being a rare enough sight, I went over - had a look. Discovered it had nankangs on the rears. Of an Audi R8

Irish mindset in a nutshell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

I ended up parking near enough to an R8 in ballina a while back. Being a rare enough sight, I went over - had a look. Discovered it had nankangs on the rears. Of an Audi R8

Next upgrades include a tow bar, rotten seat covers and a holy water figurine.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Bit of a random question, are the tyres on brand new cars coming out of the factory always of a high standard? Obviously the more expensive the car, the likelihood is that the tyres are better. But what I mean is would something like a Dacia have budget tyres, or cheap-ish mid-range/premium tyres?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,820 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Bit of a random question, are the tyres on brand new cars coming out of the factory always of a high standard? Obviously the more expensive the car, the likelihood is that the tyres are better. But what I mean is would something like a Dacia have budget tyres, or cheap-ish mid-range/premium tyres?

Yes normally the manufacturer will do a tyre deal with a major tyre brand for a model using the same tyre for the full lifecycle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

Yes, even the cheaper cars will have quality tyres from the factory. That in itself is enough for me to believe that cheap tyres are a false economy. The auto manufacturers have the best bean counters and risk assessors and they still don't skimp.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Saw a relatively new nissan pixo the other day. Looked to the tyres out of curiosity on they were continentals.

Cheap tyres give garages their best mark up so they push them.

The difference between Chinese rubbish and even real mid range tyres is night and day even if you are a 'slow, careful driver'.

For the sake of €10 or €15 a tyre I know what I'd be getting

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Put two new uniroyal rainsport 3 on the wifes car yesterday. I wouldnt have it any other way. Most tyres will be ok in the dry but in the wet is poles apart. The last uniroyals saved our skins once or twice. Met a car voing the wrong way on a roundabout in the wet and dark! Had a lad pull out from a gate on us in the wet and mud, no less. Both close calls would have ended in contact if we had ditchfinders fitted.

Well worth the extra €50 over nearly two years!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

Also what's the benefit of having the same brand? Is it so they both have the same stopping power? Would it be best to replace both on the axle at the same time?

Two identical tyres are likely to behave the same, wear the same etc and so not introduce another variable into the handing of the car in dodgy conditions.

I'd always change 2 tyres as a rule, even if one side had a few mm to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭brennarr

Seem a 141 Dacia today with Continentals on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

to be fair for normal driving in the dry there isnt a massive diffeence bar the cheap ones tend to be a tad louder . but this being ireland and all its the wet performance that really seperates cheap tyres from more expensive ones

BUT having said that in the wet there is no comparrison , when i bought my current car there was triangles on it , pretty much new , fine in the dry but sweet jesus in the wet it was frightening car was all over the road , granted i drive on twisty dark roads in the country but they are still main roads and i was literally terrified to drive in the wet , swapped them out for a set of Dunlops and the car is transformed , now i feel confident and safe driving in the wettest roads .

on my old car there were Accelera tyres on it and these are literally the worst tyre i have ever come across . same as the triangles they were fine in the dry , but i literally understeered going 10mph in a housing estate in the wet , i thought there was something wrong with the car until i swapped them out with Goodyears , i couldnt believe much tyres impact how cars drive .Ya cant put a price on your safety . and i never skimp on tyres since , you dont need to spend mega bucks though there are plenty of excellent mid range tyres out there such as Hankook / Uniroyal etc

this is the reason a lot of people buy rear wheel drive cars and say they are death traps . because they put the cheapest of tyres on them .

but the typical irish mentality is just get the cheapest shur they are all made out of rubber anyway :rolleyes: . peoples main priority for a tyre should be grip and safety not how long will they last and how cheap they are .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ferris

Just bought a car off a dealer with two autogrips on the front. Actually it was his own family car. It's a heavy car with a bit of power and the blasted thing is an understeering, abs'ing nightmare. I cannot understand how a motor industry professional put his family in a car with those tyres on. It's a menace and ruins the driving experience also.

Soon as I can the fronts are getting changed to a decent mid range tyre, nokians, federals and hankooks are getting good reviews at the mo. I know they're not premium tyres but they'll be a million times better than what's on it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭newtoboards

Right have continental tyres on my car but got two bad punctures so a tyre had to be replaced. The tyre wasn't in stock anywhere locally and I was not going too far without a spare. One tyre place said that I could use any tyre and were willing to sell me anything at all but I said I would ring somewhere else. He said that he could sell me a Dunlop but I would need to keep my spare (continental same as other tyres) on and use the dublop as a spare because the two brands would brake and wear differently and cause problems with alignment. Which tyre place was right?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

ianobrien wrote: »
    Mine are not too bad. I've 13k on them and they appear to have plenty left. That being said, I'll have to measure them tomorrow as It'll be too late when I get home from work.
    You'll be getting them soon too for the FR - they wear veeeeery fast! My last two are going off mine tomorrow! A guy in work got 16k from them on his new vrs:eek:

I've got around to checking them today. I've got about 5mm left on the front so I must be driving the car too slowly:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Right have continental tyres on my car but got two bad punctures so a tyre had to be replaced. The tyre wasn't in stock anywhere locally and I was not going too far without a spare. One tyre place said that I could use any tyre and were willing to sell me anything at all but I said I would ring somewhere else. He said that he could sell me a Dunlop but I would need to keep my spare (continental same as other tyres) on and use the dublop as a spare because the two brands would brake and wear differently and cause problems with alignment. Which tyre place was right?

Imo you'd be mad not to have the fronts matching and the rears matching

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

Reading this thread with great interest. Might I suggest a web site www.oponeo.ie for great value even on the top brands. I got 4 Michelin Primacy 3 225 55 R 17 97Y at €143 each. Totally agree never skimp on tyres.

This seems like a great site. But my problem with this is that there is so much choice.
    I can't tell the point where you go from bad to good tyres because I am not familiar with all of the brands.
    I know the whole thread has been about not looking to save money, but I can't tell where you are starting to pay over the odds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Scottie99

BraveDonut wrote: »
    This seems like a great site. But my problem with this is that there is so much choice.
    I can't tell the point where you go from bad to good tyres because I am not familiar with all of the brands.
    I know the whole thread has been about not looking to save money, but I can't tell where you are starting to pay over the odds.

I'm no expert on tyres but decided by using the ratings for fuel economy and water dispersion. I saw which tyre I wanted then checked all the sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭hairybelly

Opinions on:

Evergreen
    Hifly
    Federal
    and Minerva.

Shíte?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

if you've not heard of the brand.
    More than likely it's sh!te

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

hairybelly wrote: »
    Opinions on:

Evergreen
    Hifly
    Federal
    and Minerva.

Shíte?

the 1st and 4th are good names for a girl, the 2nd and 3rd are more suited if it's a boy. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭aristotle25

Even if I didn't have two baby seats in the back of my car I would still buy very good tyres.
    I did a lot of reading on the web about the tyres with the best grip in the dry and wet rolling resistance, wear and road feedback.

As a result I have been buying Michelin Pilot Super sports for the last 3 years. Fairly expensive but the grip is really excellent so I know my car is that bit safer than driving on average tyres.

Also, brake pads are another thing I would not let go too long without checking\replacing.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭JBokeh

If they're the nankangs that would fit on an R8 wheel chances are they're the good Nankangs. If she had the 16" steelies off a passat on it then chances are it is a middle of the road one. They actually do make good tyres,everyone thinks just because they have a funny name they are Chinese and useless. Wouldn't put them up with the best,but I wouldn't discount them either,i'd put them somewhere around Falken and Cooper.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Gazzmonkey

I found these to be a lot better than expected...

http://www.eiretyres.com/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?details=Ordern&cart_id=65455693.124.31426&kplz=&Cookie=&ABT=&typ=R-236614&dsco=124

and I got them for €60 each !!

I must have been sold replicas :pac:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I have a full set of Matador MP46 tyres on my yoke, and find them great. Wet performance is perfect so far, and dry too. No complaints whatsoever. Very cheap tyre for what you get. I did do a lot of research before buying however, and it has worked out well thus far. But only time will tell how well they'll wear. Apparently they're a pretty soft compound, which means they wont last as long, but have better grip as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

my wifes hyundai coupe had wanli on them when she got it. If there was so much as a cloud in the sky the car would wheelspin, loose grip etc was a nightmare to drive in the rain. Replaced them with falkens and it was like a new car.

I only use uniroyal rainsport on the A6 (245-40-18) and love them. Find the Rainsport 3 better than the rainsport2. During all the rain last week driving on M50 and back roads around Wicklow car was solid as a rock. Discount tyres in Ballycoolin matched the online price when I got them replaced in September.

After the experience with the Wanlis in the hyundai I will never put cheap tyres on any car again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

I have a full set of Matador MP46 tyres on my yoke, and find them great. Wet performance is perfect so far, and dry too. No complaints whatsoever. Very cheap tyre for what you get. I did do a lot of research before buying however, and it has worked out well thus far. But only time will tell how well they'll wear. Apparently they're a pretty soft compound, which means they wont last as long, but have better grip as a result.

Matador is an European producer, based in Slovakia and fully owned by none other than Continental...not surprising they're pretty decent :)

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭NobodyImportant

It was bad enough when people replaced OEM tyres with cheap crap, but now when the cheap crap is threadbare a few years later is when it gets really scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Pappacharlie

BraveDonut wrote: »

There is a new labelling rating system out now which rates the tyres under three headings, fuel efficiency, performance in wet, and noise. By far the most important of these is performance in the wet in my opinion. I'd be looking for an "A" rating on that. I suppose this rating system was introduced to give people an easy way of choosing the correct tyre for them. If you click on the tyre link you will be directed to the label rating and customer reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

There is a new labelling rating system out now which rates the tyres under three headings, fuel efficiency, performance in wet, and noise. By far the most important of these is performance in the wet in my opinion. I'd be looking for an "A" rating on that. I suppose this rating system was introduced to give people an easy way of choosing the correct tyre for them. If you click on the tyre link you will be directed to the label rating and customer reviews.
    This new labelling system is adequate but not comprehensive its also self certified.
    I would use it as a guide but not the ultimate arbiter, it doesn't take into account winter tyres either just summer tyres.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

My dad recently went to an Indy tyre place who referred him to Advance for Contis.

He didn't bargain for run flats when he moved from the Yaris to a C-Class. I think he's still recovering from the shock

Advertisement