Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Evolution - Is it down to Us?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

ScumLord wrote: »
    I've heard of this before and I thought it was fairly well established, that throughout the living world that reproduces sexually it's the females that decide what male to reproduce with,

Hehe, I was only boring my OH about this over the weekend. Throughout the living world at large it is indeed true - females are the limiting factor for reproduction and are therefore the 'choosers' where sex is concerned.

In humans that choosing role is a bit muddled though, because (sweeping statement alert) while men will want to have sex at virtually every opportunity, they are looking for sex for pleasure - monkeys, dolphins, humans and a few choice other spp. aside, animals are doing it to produce offspring.

The introduction of the idea of self-gratification during sex makes the factors behind the decision basis that bit more convoluted and evens out the playing field somewhat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

One thing stuck out when I read that wiki, brian
    Eugenics has, from the very beginning, meant many different things to many different people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

No survival of the fittest is not natural selection.

Again an argument for ignorance is not an argument-eugenics doesn't necessarily involve forcing women to mate with someone. You haven't read any of the links I posted.

Its one way in which Eugenics can occur. Obviously its not the only way and certainly isn't the most practical.

Eugenics definition:

The study of hereditary improvement of the human race by controlled selective breeding.

Controlled is the key word.

To be honest, I really don't understand the debate your having here. The original point of the thread was to discuss the impact of female choice of sexual partners on the future course of human evolution. What would happen, say, if women were attracted solely to nonviolent men? Would it make humans less violent? Nobody is advocating the rights and wrongs of it and indeed, WindSock even suggested there may be advantages to females being attracted to violent males when it comes to chimpanzees.

I'll say it again, nobody is advocating anything, eugenics or anything else - its a discussion of the mates women choose and why they do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

Its not a cheap shot, its a word that describes what the op was about. If you can't deal with that...
    I'm not being disingenuous in any way and think its a bit much for you to say that, its a pretty inflammatory issue, with a very inflammatory op (about criminals and violence) and you think that I'm trying to raise ****-well I'm not.
    Further, why should it be my fault if people don't understand these terms? I'm sick of people throwing survival of the fittest out as some sort of argument, without knowing its origins, applications, and history.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survival_of_the_fittest

Well the op said that breeding was up to "us Women" which suggests very strongly to me a gender wide argument.

It's your interpretation of what the OP was on about, as for people not understanding the terms you are using, it may not be your fault but however maybe you should explain them more clearly rather than throwing links at people. Argue for yourself, you seem perfectly capable of doing it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Spyral

I don't mean that we don't mate at all. But perhaps we should not approach the violent criminal types and others with less desirable qualities to be that Fathers of our chidren.

it's commonly held that ciminals and the promiscous tend to have more children due to healthier seed leading to an increase in criminals.

eugenics is bad but it happens anyway in the uk just not ireland !

Spyral wrote: »
    it's commonly held that ciminals and the promiscous tend to have more children due to healthier seed leading to an increase in criminals.
    Held by whom exactly?

And surely by the very nature of his behaviour a promiscuous man will have more children than a man who has limited sex with fewer partners? One man = lots of sperm. Lots of sperm + lots of women + lots of sex = lots of children, non?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

WindSock wrote: »
    One thing stuck out when I read that wiki, brian
    Sure. But did it say it was a good thing? What meaning do you take from eugenics then?
    It's your interpretation of what the OP was on about, as for people not understanding the terms you are using, it may not be your fault but however maybe you should explain them more clearly rather than throwing links at people. Argue for yourself, you seem perfectly capable of doing it!

I think its been pretty clear so far. Do I need to dumb things down? The information is there and easily read in the links provided, I don't see the point in compressing it because it would only lead to more confusion. Can you tell me what you would call it when a person suggests it is down to Women to decide what genetic traits exist in society? (a crisis in terminology imo, but anyways)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

Personally I find the notion of Evolution being the responsibility of Women to be laughable. Certain events that occur in a persons life may change their personality and character and there is little that can be done to prevent that.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

I don't think womens' choice of partners will have that much of an impact on future evolution for a few reasons:
    1) With more equality, it will be the decision of two people to have children together, not just one partner choosing another (eg, in recent centuries, the man often chose the woman)
    2) Most of the problems that exist in today's world have very little to do with genetics. Poverty, fear, nationalism, greed, etc - these all play a much bigger role. IMO

Interesting topic, Windsock. Now you have me thinking!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Bob1970

if you want to introduce this you have to take away choices.your back to people being given partners as very few can choose an all rounded partner.as another poster said earlier i dot think being a scumbag is to do with genetics so you wont block out anything by selective breeding unless its pure vanity/looks your discussing?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Interesting thread. Women are for the most part the selectors. It's a largely sellers market, but it depends on the particular market. This varies across ages and cultures and socio economic groups. It also depends on the level of the social attractiveness of the woman too. While analogising this too closely with market forces etc there is something to it.

I read an interesting article recently where the researcher noted trends in african american men and women and other groups like hispanic americans and european americans. Simply put african american women had much poorer choices of males than hispanics or whites in the female selection market. Hispanics had the highest choice interestingly because hispanic men were more socially/economically hungry than the other groups. There were far fewer single parent hispanic families than the other groups. I sadly couldn't find it online. New scientist anyway.

All things being equal young women are more likely to go for "bad boys" as they trigger an appeal for many traits desirable to younger women, mostly as a holdover from the past. The typical "bad boy" is likely to be more physically attractive(and knows it) has higher testosterone, is more socially powerful and has a greater pool of women to choose from(even if this is not the case, if he fakes it she may believe it).

Young women who are at their most fertile are looking for these type of males to mate and have children with. They may not want to stay with these males as the same traits do not mark them out as good long term providers when compared to lower testosterone males.

As Thaed wrote women find different things attractive at different times in their menstrual cycle. At their most fertile they respond much more to high testosterone male faces, at their lowest fertility they go for lower test male faces. When they are pregnant they go for the lower test male face even more. This suggests that they want to mate and have children with high test males, but trust low test males more with those same children.

Interestingly women on the pill(essentially hormonally pregnant) skew that. Studies have shown that women are statistically more likely to dump/divorce a guy they met while on the pill when they come off it. They're also more likely as couples to have fertility problems outside of coming off the pill. They are more likely to have more similar immune systems(normally people are more attracted to those with different immune systems).

As women get older and less fertile they will tend to change tack and be more attracted to low test males. Basically better long term partners.

So women biologically appear to be both hedging their bets and trying to do a balancing act with the guys they want to reproduce with. Genetic studies that have thrown up a surprisingly high number of men raising kids that they think are theirs but aren't. Apparently the first child is nearly always the partners, it's the second or third that's the cuckoo in the nest. This is clearly advantageous to the woman biologically as this gives her the best chance of a spread of genes for her offspring. A man has more options theoretically as he can simply have more children. A man also has more options because he is fertile for longer.

Men know this and could explain why highly patriarchal societies tend to heavily restrict womens sexuality and place a very high value on virginity. That way the man increases his chances of being the father of his children and not "waste" resources on kids that aren't his. When we went from hunter gatherer societies to settled this became even more important to males because of resources going to the next generation.

IMHO and one thing I wouldn't agree with is that nowadays men have less choice. I would contend they have more. Way more than in the past. Ironically the more "feminist" a society becomes the man's choices go up though they men may not see that. In an old fashioned highly patriarchal society, the restriction on female sexuality limits the options for men too, or limits them to sexually available women normally beyond the pale.

Nowadays the average male of 25 would have far far more sexual partners than his grandfather. Now the women of 25 do too, but, if a man chooses to never settle down and milk this freedom, he can do so very easily. He can essentially string along one woman after the other for decades. A rolling harem so to speak. Even if he gets one pregnant, he can walk away from that much more easily than in the past when shotgun weddings were popular. I know of a guy who has slept with literally hundreds of women and left 3 kids behind and in his mid 30's is still in the market. Indeed shows no sign of slowing, if anything he has more women interested. Men also have the advantage that they can settle and have a family with one woman, leave her at say 45 50 and go out and start up aother family with a new woman. Economics being the only real restriction.

In the end I reckon women in general are the ones who drive the choice, but a small group of men can and do use this to their advantage and have more choice for longer because of it.

Now there's a loooong post.:D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

WindSock wrote: »
    I'm just going to put this up here for a discussion. Is it ultimately up to us Women to choose what sort of people the future should have? If all men are bastards* is it not our fault for having children with the bastard ones, ensuring their genetic material gets passed on?

Should we not be a bit more picky with whom we choose to mate with?

*Not my general view, just using a well used line...
    Or maybe, since the general world stance appears to be that mothers have more input into raising their kids and are more important to the proper rearing of young, women should stop raising men to be bastards.:p

Seriously though, thought we discussed this, here on TLL, before and the gist of it was that women are attracted to alpha males, bastards are a close approximation of alpha males and so women get attracted to them due to mistaking them for the ever desireable alpha males.:confused:

Thaedydal wrote: »
    I would love to think that the Mammy's boy who can't use a washing machine is on the way out, it does the boy growing up a diservice as everyone should be able to do for themsleves.
    :eek:
    There are actually lads who are that bad?!?!:eek:
    FFS guys, read the manual and the label on the clothes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

I have to disagree that women being attracted to bad boys is evolutionary. My own opinion of this is that they can remain more in control because you are less likely to become attached to a jerk.

Also, you can feel less guilty about abusing or deceiving them.

Yes,,,, women can be commitment phobes too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

Hmmm, how do I go about being a bastard? All this talk of being one seems like an easy way of picking up women.....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I have to disagree that women being attracted to bad boys is evolutionary. My own opinion of this is that they can remain more in control because you are less likely to become attached to a jerk.
    Oh I agree. It can be mutually beneficial to both. It only goes beyond that when they end up with one. Though I do think those evolutionary triggers are there.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Poor Sylar's no longer the ladies' choice now that he's gone good.:rolleyes:

Wibbs wrote: »
    Oh I agree. It can be mutually beneficial to both. It only goes beyond that when they end up with one. Though I do think those evolutionary triggers are there.

How so?

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Nuravictus

There is less men in the world then woman. If anything Men select who there partner will be. The Man normally starts the chat that leads to sex & a relationship. Then marrage & kids at one point. So all the woman in this thread are really talking out of your ass. You get to chose the men who approached you whom were probally pissed & didnt care. Unless you approached the man you wanted you didnt select your partner :P.

Eugenics is a very dangerous thing, recently it was discovered by the Human DNA Project that Blacks are more prone to be aggressive & volient. Therefore should we erase all blacks ?. Jews are found to be very greedy so therefore should we ban all jews from breading ?. The issue is that this happened in America in the 1920's & was later adopted by Hitler which killed gays, jews, sterlized blacks in the Rhineland in Germany, Murdered Roma People, Killed Slav because they were not pure blood.

Also woman here seem to think that a woman cant be defective. A woman can carry ****ty dna as much as a man can. Also can any woman honestly say you would let your new born baby die because it was born with a slight defect because with eugenics that baby HAS to die to preserve the purely of the human race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

We get to choose who to have sex with and who to get pregant with and in some cases which pregnancy we want to continue and what child to rear.

We get to choose who to have sex with and who to get pregant with and in some cases which pregnancy we want to continue and what child to rear.

You get to pick one of the men who came up to you in a nightclub. You didnt pick him he picked you. You wouldnt of had sex if he hadnt talked to you. Therefore womans mating options are limited to the people who try chat you up. That person might not be the best male.

Also Woman been equal is a every Western Culture thing. In most of the world woman are something to be traded. In India you would be given with some land to get you out of the house. You wouldnt have equal rights. In China female babies are often left to die in streets because no one wants a female baby. Im not even going to get into Islam. So year in the bigger picture woman dont choice. You only really affect the white race which is dying out because of lower birth races.

• Advertisement

How do the men not have those choices?

Nuravictus wrote: »
    There is less men in the world then woman. If anything Men select who there partner will be.
    It doesn't work like that. Even if women outweighed men 10 to one women are still teh limiting factor. A man can produce billions of sperm every day of his life, therefore he supplies a (relatively) unlimited resource. Women however are born with all the eggs they will ever produce, thereby making them the limiting factor. The limiting factor holds the power to say yay or nay. Again, we're talking about reproduction, not having casual sex.
    Nuravictus wrote:
    So all the woman in this thread are really talking out of your ass. You get to chose the men who approached you whom were probally pissed & didnt care. Unless you approached the man you wanted you didnt select your partner :P.
    What a trollish unique way of looking at it. I think you're a little confused as to who is talking out of who's ass though.

Blacks = violent, jews = greedy? Hmm...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

There is less men in the world then woman. If anything Men select who there partner will be. The Man normally starts the chat that leads to sex & a relationship. Then marrage & kids at one point. So all the woman in this thread are really talking out of your ass. You get to chose the men who approached you whom were probally pissed & didnt care. Unless you approached the man you wanted you didnt select your partner :P.
    So you think that all relationships are instigated by men in nightclubs? Very narrow view-point there. And actually I met my boyfriend in a nightclub but it was a female friend of mine that introduced us - how does that fit into your narrow theory? And the people who meet in work? And through mutual friends?
    You get to pick one of the men who came up to you in a nightclub. You didnt pick him he picked you. You wouldnt of had sex if he hadnt talked to you. Therefore womans mating options are limited to the people who try chat you up. That person might not be the best male.
    Admittedly a lot of women do leave it to the man to make the first move, but there are many women who don't. More fool the women who sit on the sidelines and wait for a man to ask them out.
    Also Woman been equal is a every Western Culture thing. In most of the world woman are something to be traded. In India you would be given with some land to get you out of the house. You wouldnt have equal rights. In China female babies are often left to die in streets because no one wants a female baby. Im not even going to get into Islam. So year in the bigger picture woman dont choice. You only really affect the white race which is dying out because of lower birth races.
    Er...white race is dying out? wtf?? And all Western cultures are "white"?

I agree with what you say about the position of women in other societies and how they are bartered and traded.

How so?
    For the reasons you give. Decent gene swap without the commitment. OK the woman may be left holding the baby, but in early societies and today, they would get quite a bit of familial and societal support. Then another more long term stable guy comes along down the line and she has a second or third child with him. Result all around. The father of her first child likely does the same.
    Nuravictus wrote:
    There is less men in the world then woman.
    True there are and in the pats when there were even less men in comparison, they had more say in mate selection. Most early societies were in favour of mulitiple wives for socially powerful men.
    If anything Men select who there partner will be. The Man normally starts the chat that leads to sex & a relationship.
    In our society, yes he may make the first obvious step, but even there I have seen a large proportion of pickups happening and it's the woman that angles it in her favour from the get go. It's just not that obvious to many if not most men.
    Then marrage & kids at one point.
    Again I would say at least half the time the woman angles it in her favour. Even the idea that a woman gets purposely pregnant to "snare" a man reflects that.
    So all the woman in this thread are really talking out of your ass.
    Hardly worth that remark. I sense hostility.
    You get to chose the men who approached you whom were probally pissed & didnt care.
    Eh we do sober up. I mean I've been monged more than once and maybe got jiggy, but the morning comes soon enough.
    Unless you approached the man you wanted you didnt select your partner .
    It's way more subtle than that. Seriously.
    Eugenics is a very dangerous thing,
    Agreed.
    recently it was discovered by the Human DNA Project that Blacks are more prone to be aggressive & volient. Therefore should we erase all blacks ?.
    In what comic did you read that? I would love to see that evidence. In any case, which "blacks" do you refer to. American, Kenyan, Ugandan, Somalian? All of the above are more different to each other, as they are to a Spaniard.
    Jews are found to be very greedy so therefore should we ban all jews from breading ?.
    Tell me you're kidding right? The only thing that the jews as a population flag up is IQ and certain genetic diseases and conditions due to pressure to marry within the faith. That's it. Again I'd like to see links.
    The issue is that this happened in America in the 1920's & was later adopted by Hitler which killed gays, jews, sterlized blacks in the Rhineland in Germany, Murdered Roma People, Killed Slav because they were not pure blood.
    True enough, all bad shít and no mistake.
    Also woman here seem to think that a woman cant be defective. A woman can carry ****ty dna as much as a man can.
    DNA as such isn't shítty or not. It either helps the organism or doesn't simple as that. A gene that protects northern europeans from HIV, also makes them more susceptible to malaria and nile fever. Same gene different outcome depending.
    Also can any woman honestly say you would let your new born baby die because it was born with a slight defect because with eugenics that baby HAS to die to preserve the purely of the human race.
    TBH I don't think anyone is suggesting that.
    Also Woman been equal is a every Western Culture thing.
    Kinda true. It depends on the definition of equality. Long debate that one. In many cultures women and men have defined roles but are equal in general society. In many cultures the feminine is considered higher at leats intelectually. Its more complex, but yea I'll give you that.
    In most of the world woman are something to be traded. In India you would be given with some land to get you out of the house. You wouldnt have equal rights. In China female babies are often left to die in streets because no one wants a female baby. Im not even going to get into Islam.
    OK
    So year in the bigger picture woman dont choice.
    OK lets take one example. Islam. In many islamic cultures, while the men are listened to, it's often the older women that make the choice of marriage partner.
    You only really affect the white race which is dying out because of lower birth races.
    It's so much more complex than that. Yes women working, having more options does reduce population growth. There are other factors too. I would say men not committing early could be another factor. Plus which "white race" are you talking about? Greece has quite a high birthrate/population growth. As does Ireland. We've gone up the guts of a million people in the last 20 years alone.

taconnol wrote: »
    So you think that all relationships are instigated by men in nightclubs? Very narrow view-point there. And actually I met my boyfriend in a nightclub but it was a female friend of mine that introduced us - how does that fit into your narrow theory? And the people who meet in work? And through mutual friends?
    That’s true & you are correct but you cant deny a lot of relationships come from meeting people in nightclubs. If there was a easy way we wouldn’t go to nightclubs.
    Admittedly a lot of women do leave it to the man to make the first move, but there are many women who don't. More fool the women who sit on the sidelines and wait for a man to ask them out.
    That’s true.
    Er...white race is dying out? wtf?? And all Western cultures are "white"?
    The white race has a negative growth level. More old people less young people would be something you have probably heard of before. Were not going to die out overnight but unless something changes the white race will be gone. We have tons of mixed marrages now a days & as we are more successful we will have less children. The reason is this, we pay money to have a pension. In India a woman has a lot of kids to ensure she has someone to take care of her when shes old. That’s her pension. Remember whites only make up 8% of the human population.
    Demographic trends point to 40 more years for the USA for whites to become a minority where their survival will be at the hands of the non-whites, and 100 years for Europe, with Isolated white populations in Central Asia, South America, and Southern Africa.

America 40 years ago was 90% white, now today we are 65% white.
    Europe much or less 40 years with some exceptions in the Balkans was virtually all white.

Another a example would be Italy where in 60 years the country will have a Muslim Majority because of native birth rates & those of Muslims who come to Italy to live. That Muslim will still have the same ammount of kids she would of had in her home country.

Also woman here seem to think that a woman cant be defective. A woman can carry ****ty dna as much as a man can. Also can any woman honestly say you would let your new born baby die because it was born with a slight defect because with eugenics that baby HAS to die to preserve the purely of the human race.

Well plenty of women kill their babies in utero after getting an amnio and finding they are going to have a downs stndrome or disabled child. What's next, get rid of the daugher who only has one ovary? With more sophisticated advances is pre genetic determination you are going to see more and more of this.

Well plenty of women kill their babies in utero after getting an amnio and finding they are going to have a downs stndrome or disabled child. What's next, get rid of the daugher who only has one ovary? With more sophisticated advances is pre genetic determination you are going to see more and more of this.

Maybe someday we will all be able to have blond hair blue eyed babies :P.

What a crock of ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Out of interest does anybody care to hazard a guess that varying factors like geography, family make up, local and wide scale social and economic factors, religion, regional, nation and worldwide political, musical, literary and educational factors will have on whether you are a good guy or bastard?

Or the other million interactions that could shape a mind.

And we haven't even touched on the complexity of genetics yet.

I personally think the proof of this as a possibility will be coming to light over the next few hundred years. Effectively women can be more "picky" than in the past. And effectively we have a society that more obviously separates the good from the bad ( note here i said obviously, and mean exactly that ) so the likelihood of any such scenario offering a bit of chance to Humanity will be in the coming centuries.

I think.

Dragan wrote: »
    Out of interest does anybody care to hazard a guess that varying factors like geography, family make up, local and wide scale social and economic factors, religion, regional, nation and worldwide political, musical, literary and educational factors will have on whether you are a good guy or bastard?

Or the other million interactions that could shape a mind.

And we haven't even touched on the complexity of genetics yet.

I personally think the proof of this as a possibility will be coming to light over the next few hundred years. Effectively women can be more "picky" than in the past. And effectively we have a society that more obviously separates the good from the bad ( note here i said obviously, and mean exactly that ) so the likelihood of any such scenario offering a bit of chance to Humanity will be in the coming centuries.

I think.

Not really, Majority of the woman on this planet are still miles below men, Western Culture is white Culture so what you are saying will occur with 8% of the Human Population. However with more econmic growth in India & China this could lead to woman been more keen on certain things but we are a long way of that.

That’s true & you are correct but you cant deny a lot of relationships come from meeting people in nightclubs. If there was a easy way we wouldn’t go to nightclubs.

No, see I don't think that. If you even take a look at this rudimentary poll, you'll see that pubs/nightclubs only make up under 18% of places where people meet and then you'd have to make the huge leap of an assumption that in all of these cases, it has been the man who has made the approach:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055207471

Also, people go to nightclubs to socialise and dance. I have friend who sometimes go to nightclubs and they're in relationships.
    The white race has a negative growth level. More old people less young people would be something you have probably heard of before. Were not going to die out overnight but unless something changes the white race will be gone. We have tons of mixed marrages now a days & as we are more successful we will have less children. The reason is this, we pay money to have a pension. In India a woman has a lot of kids to ensure she has someone to take care of her when shes old. That’s her pension. Remember whites only make up 8% of the human population.
    But what are you talking about "white race"?? I think your problem is you're correlating "white" with "western". You'd better tell that to the 10% of people in this country that have been born outside it, or the many hispanic, asians and other immigrants in Canada, Australia, the US, France, etc who consider themselves "Western". I'd better go tell my brown Indian friend who's actually born and raised in London that he's not "Western". You're starting to sound a bit waspy.

Also, can you show some stats for this "white race" negative growth level?
    Another a example would be Italy where in 60 years the country will have a Muslim Majority because of native birth rates & those of Muslims who come to Italy to live. That Muslim will still have the same ammount of kids she would of had in her home country.
    Do you have stats to back this up? And even if this were true, what relevancy does it have to the topic at hand?

• Advertisement

But what are you talking about "white race"?? I think your problem is you're correlating "white" with "western". You'd better tell that to the 10% of people in this country that have been born outside it, or the many hispanic, asians and other immigrants in Canada, Australia, the US, France, etc who consider themselves "Western". I'd better go tell my brown Indian friend who's actually born and raised in London that he's not "Western". You're starting to sound a bit waspy.

Well, tbh if your friend was raised by immigrants chances are he is a little non western. It takes a couple generations to fully assimilate. Being a hyphenated being is a little complex.

Well, tbh if your friend was raised by immigrants chances are he is a little non western. It takes a couple generations to fully assimilate. Being a hyphenated being is a little complex.
    The fact that he cooks a mean curry and knows where the best Indian restaurants are in Dublin are examples of the small things that separate him out from any of my other non-immigrant friends. And in relation to the subject, i.e. the position of women in choosing their mate, he isn't different at all.

I dont want to get into a talk about "Race" because some fool is going to call me a Racist & im not interested in that. Western Culture was created by White People. So its White Culture. Whites came up with it.

I never said a Indians couldnt live in a Western Culture did I ? I said it was made by whites. I am white & I could go live in a country with a Islamic Culture.

The fact that he cooks a mean curry and knows where the best Indian restaurants are in Dublin are examples of the small things that separate him out from any of my other non-immigrant friends. And in relation to the subject, i.e. the position of women in choosing their mate, he isn't different at all.

Do you think his family would mind if he married a white woman?

Do you think his family would mind if he married a white woman?
    lol not at all.

Nuravictus - would you mind actually backing up some of your opinions as requested?

lol not at all.

Nuravictus - would you mind actually backing up some of your opinions as requested?

List everything you want me to prove then & I will get busy getting links & related articles.

No - I've already stated my points and requests above.

No, see I don't think that. If you even take a look at this rudimentary poll, you'll see that pubs/nightclubs only make up under 18% of places where people meet and then you'd have to make the huge leap of an assumption that in all of these cases, it has been the man who has made the approach:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055207471
    Also, people go to nightclubs to socialise and dance. I have friend who sometimes go to nightclubs and they're in relationships.
    Your saying the 3rd highest percentage of that survey is not a lot ?. I agree with on about dancing, that’s why I go to nightclubs.

We are talking about woman’s affect on Evolution. I am stating that only woman who live in Western Cultures get that right. I linked Western with White so its around 8%. The majority of woman in this world are not born equal. The reason I relate the white aspect because a large amount of immigrants don’t integrate in our culture. Just look at the issues we are currently having in Europe with Muslims. In Afghanistan recently a man got 20 years in prison for saying woman should be equals in contradiction to the Qur’an.
    Also, can you show some stats for this "white race" negative growth level?
    Do you have stats to back this up? And even if this were true, what relevancy does it have to the topic at hand?

Smallest Birth Rate, Sorry but you are correct here but we getting older as a race & that’s well stated. The fact relates to the ability of woman to affect evolution. Less western woman means less woman with that right. Less affect on Evolution. I stated the above issue with immigrants.

Thanks for calling me out btw, Love a good debate :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

For the reasons you give. Decent gene swap without the commitment. OK the woman may be left holding the baby, but in early societies and today, they would get quite a bit of familial and societal support. Then another more long term stable guy comes along down the line and she has a second or third child with him. Result all around. The father of her first child likely does the same.

And she was seen as a better catch then a woman with no children as her fertility was proven.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭JDLK

Your saying the 3rd highest percentage of that survey is not a lot ?. I agree with on about dancing, that’s why I go to nightclubs.
    "3rd highest percentage" doesn't mean anything. The mots important stat is the one that I pulled out - less than 18% of cases.
    We are talking about woman’s affect on Evolution. I am stating that only woman who live in Western Cultures get that right. I linked Western with White so its around 8%. The majority of woman in this world are not born equal. The reason I relate the white aspect because a large amount of immigrants don’t integrate in our culture. Just look at the issues we are currently having in Europe with Muslims. In Afghanistan recently a man got 20 years in prison for saying woman should be equals in contradiction to the Qur’an.
    Yes, I see what you mean - although I wouldn't say that it's only women in western cultures but yes, there are very few other places where women have full power over their own reproductive rights and get an equal say in who their partner is. Having said that, often the people who choose instead are her parents...one of which is female. I don't know - maybe the father has more say..
    Smallest Birth Rate, Sorry but you are correct here but we getting older as a race & that’s well stated. The fact relates to the ability of woman to affect evolution. Less western woman means less woman with that right. Less affect on Evolution.

Thanks for calling me out btw, Love a good debate :).
    No worries, me too :) Well, you could argue that it the West has the lowest birth rate at the moment because we are the most economically developed, however other countries are catching up economically and I would argue that their birth rates will slow accordingly. But I take your point.

Edit: also, we may have lower birth rates but with high levels of immigrants increasing our populations in the West, what effect would have? I mean, I know a lot of them keep their own culture and the example of my friend is probably not representative...

"
    Edit: also, we may have lower birth rates but with high levels of immigrants increasing our populations in the West, what effect would have? I mean, I know a lot of them keep their own culture and the example of my friend is probably not representative…
    It puts a massive drain on our Socialist system of Government. When a immigrant is having 8/9 kids while a native person is having 1 or 2. it means taxs are raised or benefits are lowered. There is a well known case of a Muslim man who now has 15 kids & he wont stop because he believes Muhammad controls whether his wife has a child. In large parts of the United Kingdom Sharia law is practiced in secret underground courts by Muslim Communities. Our system is about majority presentation but if you have a Muslim Majority you can have referendums & remove laws that protect minorities & so forth. You could see the raise of Sharia law. 60 years for Italy for Italians to be the minority & 100 years for white people to be the minority in Europe.

The Dutch moviemaker Theo van Gogh made a movie showing Islam & highlighting the issue of woman’s rights. He was shot eight times with a handgun and he died on the spot but then bouyeri (Muslim who killed him) then cut Van Gogh's throat, nearly decapitating him, and stabbed him in the chest. Two knives were left implanted in his torso, one attaching a five-page note to his body. When a shrine was made in tribute to the man who was murdered some placed a sign saying “Thou shall not kill” that sign was latter removed because it caused rage among Muslims. This is all because of the failed policies of Multiculturalism & Political Correctness.
    No worries, me too Well, you could argue that it the West has the lowest birth rate at the moment because we are the most economically developed, however other countries are catching up economically and I would argue that their birth rates will slow accordingly. But I take your point.
    I don’t think so, they are entering the early stages of enocmic development. Look at what life was like for people in the West when we had just entered the system. In India the rich will get richer & the poor will get poorer. In China it will still be the same. Economic success doesn’t mean they will change, just look at the Middle East. Here is a example….
    A Saudi woman who was gang-raped by 14 men has been sentenced to 200 lashes and 6 months in prison, the BBC reports. Her original crime was being in the car with a man unrelated to her, but her punishment was doubled and prison time added when she appealed the original sentence. Judges said she tried to use the media to influence them; her lawyer says the sentence violates both Sharia law and international conventions.
    Seven of the Shia woman’s rapists—all Sunnis—were sentenced to prison time; the judges also doubled their sentences. The woman’s attorney has been suspended from the case and had his license revoked. He says the court let personal views influence it and vowed to file another appeal.
    The most important thing to do is do the research & find out for yourself.

Edit: To answer some of your questions above.

Not really, Majority of the woman on this planet are still miles below men, Western Culture is white Culture so what you are saying will occur with 8% of the Human Population. However with more econmic growth in India & China this could lead to woman been more keen on certain things but we are a long way of that.

So you are basically saying that "White Culture" as you talk about is not a suitable sample group for this exact debate?

It doesn't matter where it occurs, and cultural boundries leading to a semi closed off gene pool would only benefit the argument for selective breeding based on morals, as you are trying to cut out too much gene variance, surely.

The simple fact is though, on a whole, it wouldn't work. You would never catch everything, and the slower you make the process of choosing a mate and having a child then the lower the population.

The genes and the "moral" traits that make someone a wanker will always come through and essentially what you are doing is boiling down to a super bastard. I mean, survival of the fittest works both ways.

As a brief aside, would this idea be so politely dicussed if i had started a thread about a team of male doctors who had developed away to tell you how to choose who should be the father of your baby?

It's just interesting that the talk is removing male traits from society, controlled by women. And no talk off the female traits, or perhaps the traits of the mothers.

It's just interesting that the talk is removing male traits from society, controlled by women. And no talk off the female traits, or perhaps the traits of the mothers.
    True enough. There are traits found more in women than men that humanity could equally do without.

Because in the context of evolution, given that women are the limiting factor, men are the variable. As Wibbs pointed out earlier:
    Wibbs wrote:
    the average male of 25 would have far far more sexual partners than his grandfather... if a man chooses to never settle down and milk this freedom, he can do so very easily. He can essentially string along one woman after the other for decades... I know of a guy who has slept with literally hundreds of women and left 3 kids behind and in his mid 30's is still in the market... Men also have the advantage that they can settle and have a family with one woman, leave her at say 45 50 and go out and start up aother family with a new woman.
    Sure, women have traits that are undesirable to humanity, but the women who display those traits will pass their genes onto a minority. Bastards however, have the potential to pass their traits onto a multitude.

This, of course, is coming from a very biological perspective, which is essentially the angle you need to take if you strictly want to talk in terms of evolution.

Having said that the true meaning/ implications of evolution sort of got lost in the middle of page one of this thread so I'm not sure how pertinent that point is...

• Advertisement

g'em wrote: »
    Sure, women have traits that are undesirable to humanity, but the women who display those traits will pass their genes onto a minority. Bastards however, have the potential to pass their traits onto a multitude.
    Pretty much. I suppose it could be summed up that on average women have more say, but high social value males who avoid commitment have the most say and low social value males have the least say in evolution. Look at an extreme like Genghis Khan. Genetic studies in Asia seem to suggest that he and his very close male line have left their genetic mark throughout the region. No woman in history could say the same. Even mitochondrial eve would be a different case. So if you want to make a difference as a male, be a high value bastard basically. :)

So if you want to make a difference as a male, be a high value bastard basically. :)
    Actually I'd argue against that. Someone mentioned Dawkins earlier and this is where his 'Prisoner's Dilemma' theory comes into its own. Altruism is a fundamental necessity for the progression of our species, an idea which is explained much better than I'm capable of doing in Dawkins' book "The Selfish Gene" and even more laymanly here -
    Society, the collective cooperative efforts of individual human beings, could never have evolved out of a species whose natural instincts are to lie, cheat, and otherwise betray one another for personal gain.

I would agree, but it doesn't need to be either or. I would contend that the majority can be altruistic and move humanity on down that road and act as a brake on more extreme behaviours, but that a minority of individuals can and do impact that on that road, if they so choose and have the talent or resources to do so. Indeed the story of humanity reflects that and not just in reproduction. Consensus is fine and dandy, but many if not 99% of great leaps forward in society, politics, art, technology and simple invention come from a very small pool of people, if not one person. Those people tend not to be altruistic either

I would agree, but it doesn't need to be either or. I would contend that the majority can be altruistic and move humanity on down that road and act as a brake on more extreme behaviours, but that a minority of individuals can and do impact that on that road, if they so choose and have the talent or resources to do so. Indeed the story of humanity reflects that and not just in reproduction. Consensus is fine and dandy, but many if not 99% of great leaps forward in society, politics, art, technology and simple invention come from a very small pool of people, if not one person. Those people tend not to be altruistic either

Bingo, by aiming to cut out one extreme you will also end up cutting out the other.

I'd personally prefer if Humanity did not become one writhing mass of yes men and metro's who are too afraid to even think.

Then again, we appear to be on the way already.

To quote Team America of all thinks. "Sure i'm a Dick, and maybe i **** Pussy's but dammit.....dicks also **** assholes".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Sure. But did it say it was a good thing? What meaning do you take from eugenics then?

Inconclusive, and just like abortion is an emotive topic that will always be argued.
    There are always people who will be irresponsible, but it doesn't mean it shouldn't be discussed because you don't like it.

Can you tell me what you would call it when a person suggests it is down to Women to decide what genetic traits exist in society? (a crisis in terminology imo, but anyways)

So a woman being a bit more thoughtful in whom she chooses to mate and have offspring with is seen as unnatural or immoral? Don't we want whats best for our kids, always?

I didn't mention class, btw.

I don't know if people are genetically predisposed to criminality and violence either. I just thought it would be an interesting topic to discuss.

• Advertisement
Advertisement