Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your most embarrassing moment......

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I'd a terrible habit of asking the blokes in work if I could grab them later if they/I were busy at something and I needed to talk to them.

I also regularly fall over my own feet, just last week I managed to fall up some steps in work, land on my knees at the door to reception and spill and entire cup of coffee all over the steps :)

The entire afternoon everyone coming in was giving out about the state of the steps, after I'd spent twenty minutes mopping up :(

Also have a regular habit of doing the chair balancing act and leaning back as far as possible whilst not losing balance, am not very good at it and have landed on my arse in said chair on several occasions

• Registered Users Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭pretty-in-pink

Slipped on some wet stairs in a pub, went down them on my bum. Was the only sober person there. Not fun. Oh no.

Sending a text for my fella to my brother by mistake, and his friends reading it before him cause it was only from me, and they thought it would be nothing much, just "where are you" (the joys of getting lost at ******), instead they got a big string of filth. That was *very* embarassing

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Meeting group of the girlfriends friends for the first time. Went to charlies after a few beers, stood up to go to the bathroom, twisted slightly too fast, chair and me both go back. Lay on the floor for a minute just going "ffs" to myself.

on top of this, I haven't been to the gym since an "incident" last year.

Imagine the scenario, I feel like going for a bit of a jog after some other cardio exercises. Right says me, time to hop onto the ole running machine. Dum dee dum, jogging for about 5 minutes, thinking about all the stuff I have to get done, when I lapse just a tiny bit too much and my left toe catches my right heel.

I stumble, end up right at the end of the running strip, desperately trying to run faster, needing to hit the button, and failing simultaneously to do both. My feet shoot out from under me, my body follows, and I hit the ground behind, where once again I lie there going "....ffs". Cute woman nearby asks if i'm ok, I claim i'm grand. I stand up, glad that the place is half empty. and I look up.

And realise the only security camera in the entire place is pointed directly at that single treadmill. and I hear the laughs from the desk upstairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Smart Bug

Great thread so I gotta share:

Meeting an ex-es folks for the first time, along with my ex-es (much) younger sister in their gaff. Anywho, we were chatting away when the subject of snoring came up. Little sis says:

"Mary* snores all the time. I bet Smart Bug knows that."

Deathly silence ensues and Mary flees from the room, leaving me glowing red under the (in fairness, quite amused) gazes of her folks.

And being caught by another ex-es oul fella when I was catching a nice grope of her boobies in their living room.

*name changed

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

This thread is full of win and awesome! What could be my most embarassing moment is actually one I'm very proud of (the context makes the difference).

So, I was about 12 months old (there's the context). Old enough that my father was happy to be throwing me up and down without fear of me breaking. But, as he found out to his detriment, young enough to vomit without hint or warning :D

On one occasion he was lifting me up and juat having a general laugh. I was apparently delighted. So he lifts me up above his head and does that kinda smiley type thing you do when you lift a baby above your head. Big mistake. Bang! Vomit. Straight. Into. His. Mouth.

Nice!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Walking home down my road I saw a car pulled up outside my driveway and someone getting in. From afar it looked like my brother getting in and the car was similar to his mates. Car pulled away and was driving by me, I was standing on the kerb ready to cross the road so I was literally right beside the car and gave them the biggest wave ever. Turned out the car was just full of random blokes who happened to spot their mate walking up my road and picked him up :o:o:o morto!

Oh and I called my boss dad one day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭JaneyMc

nkay1985 wrote: »
    This thread is full of win and awesome! What could be my most embarassing moment is actually one I'm very proud of (the context makes the difference).

So, I was about 12 months old (there's the context). Old enough that my father was happy to be throwing me up and down without fear of me breaking. But, as he found out to his detriment, young enough to vomit without hint or warning :D

On one occasion he was lifting me up and juat having a general laugh. I was apparently delighted. So he lifts me up above his head and does that kinda smiley type thing you do when you lift a baby above your head. Big mistake. Bang! Vomit. Straight. Into. His. Mouth.

Nice!!!!

Oh God, I saw my cousin do this to his sister a few years ago. Yuck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

not morto for me more so for my parents....
    Anyway ya know when you start school(back in the non pc days) and they tell you in about africa and how the blacks were dirt poor living in poverty and what not???
    So we were out shopping one day and lil 5 or 6 year old me see's a black couple and announces to my mother " look mammy look at the poor people" while standing there pointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭TheBrig

Cycling past two arch-enemies I was in school with on our way back to school from lunch...I whizzed past them going "don't be late for school girls ha ha ha" - crashed into railings and they both climbed over me tangled up in my bike going "don't be late for school now...."

Wearing a wonderbra in work under a tshirt - boss runs up behind me to say "I think you've dropped your shoulderpad" - yes, pad from my bra, he was just far too polite.

Turned up at identical twins birthday party with a present for just one of them. My face when the penny dropped...ugh and the pathetic attempts at trying to "explain"....

Falling down the stairs from the top deck of a double decker to land on my face.

Sitting in Connolly waiting for a train, a drunk came up singing at the top of his voice, whole station looking, he sat down beside me, started singing to me much to the amusement of everyone, then stopped suddenly, leaned over and puked all over my legs and shoes.

Stayed over with my new boyfriend on our first date (yeah I know but hey its still going strong!) - walking around his house just wearing knickers and his t-shirt, doorbell rings, he goes out and I hear mumbling...he comes in and says "go up and put more clothes on, its my mam" - she was told to stand outside while HEATHEN SLUT here runs up to clothe myself, sweating, then had to sit and have polite conversation for the next half hour -the top I had been wearing the night before was not the type you could wear a bra with, so I was Radio Moscow while trying to discuss the weather with her. (she loves me now though :D )

There's more but I just can't think of anymore at the moment...:o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

An early one but I still cringe.

Aged 11. Summer camp, art lesson. I get up to get more paint, sit back in my seat, SQUELCH! Some effer had left the brown poster paint on my chair. Big dirty brown mark on the back of my white shorts. Had to spend the rest of the day looking like I couldn't use the bathroom properly. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

another one:

that my previous post was thanked FOUR times :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

not morto for me more so for my parents....
    Anyway ya know when you start school(back in the non pc days) and they tell you in about africa and how the blacks were dirt poor living in poverty and what not???
    So we were out shopping one day and lil 5 or 6 year old me see's a black couple and announces to my mother " look mammy look at the poor people" while standing there pointing.

LOL!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

God.. There's too many to remember I think but I'll try.. The most recent one would be walking up the steps of the Curragh at the Dubai Derby trying to look all cool and sophistacated in my glad rags and sunglasses and missing the step and going on my face infront of my OH and an entire stand full of people :(

When I was a kid and had just gotten my Communion School photo taken, you know when everyone gets to wear their dress to school about a week after the event.. Anyway.. Everyone else got to keep there's on for the day, but my mother insisted on coming up to my school and plucking me from my class to change my clothes so the dress wouldn't get dirty... I was so mortified.. She actually came into the room and asked could she take me to the loo to "change me".. Needless to say I never lived it down.. :o

Lets see, what else.. Oh yeah I was walking down the quays one day with an ex of mine and we were crossing the road and the drawstring from my jeacket got caught onto the back of a truck and I was pulled a few feet, was heavy traffic thank God and he managed to untangle me but there was a group of lads standing watching the whole thing and laughing their asses off :o

There's loads more.. I'll come back when I've thought of them..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

Cremo wrote: »
    another one:

that my previous post was thanked FOUR times :o

Stop bragging!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Fauldy Banny

When I was in second year I used to meet a big group of friends every morning and walk to school, one Monday morning we were walking through the field we normally walked through and I felt something down the leg of my trousers. I proceeded to put my hand down the leg of my trousers to retrieve what ever it was to the amusement of all the lads.
    When I pulled it out I nearly died, its was a pair of my Mothers knickers!
    Obviously got in there in the wash, I got slaughtered in school for ages and even now when I met them 15 years later they still bring it up. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

We lived in Latin America for a couple of years. One year we went to a parent teacher meeting which lasted a couple of hours, half way through the meeting they paused for coffee and snacks. We got talking to a couple who told us they owned a large coffee plantation and grew organic coffee, I looked down at the coffee I was drinking and told them to bring some of their coffee for the next meeting as this coffee tasted like sh!te, I didn't know where to turn when he told me "That is my coffee".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

I've had more than a few embarrassing moments, including falling flat on my face while trying to run to catch the T in a very crowded Harvard Station in Cambridge a few years ago, and having to recite the Preamble to the Constitution for my entire primary school and completely blanking on the words.
    But one of the most was on senior prom night. The prom dress is probably the biggest part of prom, and I spent months finding mine. It's was a really nice white gown - vintage, Audrey Hepburnesque. So the big day rolls around, and I get my hair and make up done. My boyfriend had made dinner arrangements beforehand for us and another couple, so we went to dinner, and when the waiter brought out the food, he slipped and it ended up all over me and my white prom dress. So I had the choice of showing up to my senior prom wearing my formerly white dress and that evening's dinner or going home and wearing my mother's old wedding dress - which was a 1970's disco gown with giant red polka dots. :o Giant red polka dots prevailed, and I went to senior prom looking like a groovy extra from the movie Carrie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

DonJose wrote: »
    We lived in Latin America for a couple of years. One year we went to a parent teacher meeting which lasted a couple of hours, half way through the meeting they paused for coffee and snacks. We got talking to a couple who told us they owned a large coffee plantation and grew organic coffee, I looked down at the coffee I was drinking and told them to bring some of their coffee for the next meeting as this coffee tasted like sh!te, I didn't know where to turn when he told me "That is my coffee".

You didn't expect that at all??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

You didn't expect that at all??

There are dozens if not hundreds of coffee plantations in this area, the chances were slim.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

That makes it all the better for everyone listening in :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bnagrrl

On tea break in work once, one of my male colleagues takes out this box of chocolate finger biscuits and offers them around and I say "Ooh I never say no to a finger."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

DonJose wrote: »
    There are dozens if not hundreds of coffee plantations in this area, the chances were slim.

Not if they own one of the plantations!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I went to a work do a few years ago - free drink and meal in a fancy new hotel, complete with awards and boring speeches. I just started working in a new department so got chatting to one of the women I didn't know too well. Mid conversation the main HR women who I had seen hobbling around work heavily pregnant for god knows how long saunters up and butts in to chat to this woman.
    Now this HR person would be a major bitch in the workplace, the other girl was a saint and lovely to deal with. PRegnant HR woman was the type who would hire through nepotism regardless of her friend's experience. She was someone you didn't want to cross or get on the bad side of or you would soon find yourself with a fresh P45.
    So she has interrupted and I'm standing there like a tool for a few minutes thinking "what will I say or who will I go talk to now?". The idiot that I am decides to add to the conversation and ask her how long until she was due to give birth.
    "2 weeks ago"

I nearly choked on my drink and spluttered a congratulations and turned on my heels and hastily made for the smoking area. For the rest of the night what I said spread like wildfire and everyone patted me on the back saying "nice knowing ya".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,040 ✭✭✭BKtje

magine the scenario, ...snip...security camera in the entire place is pointed directly at that single treadmill. and I hear the laughs from the desk upstairs.
    I'm sorry but that had me in stitches for about 10 minutes! Made my night, really did.

About 6 months ago i got chatting to this woman in a pub in town (Dublin), many drinks later we heading back to hers in a taxi when we stop at a garage so i can get some coke. Anyway i wander back out coke in hand and get back into the taxi to find it empty. I figured she and the taxi man musta gone into the garage for something. So i sit there for about 5 minutes before the taxi man gets back into the taxi except it was a different taxi man. I look to my left and there she is glaring at me from the other taxi! She musta thought i was a whack job.

Back when i was still going to "cub scouts" there was a big meeting of all the south dublin groups at night in Blackrock park. I get lost from my group and wander around for ages trying to find them (dark and all got those navy jumpers on). I eventually see a mate of mine so i sprint over and jump on his back. Only it wasn't my mate and it wasn't a he. She falls and i end up sprawled on top of her infront of everyone. Just lucky i didn't hurt her but never lived that down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

my cousin got married in London a couple of years ago,she married a lovely guy,who's family have a history of blindness.
    his mother can't see at all,his sister's eyesight is so bad she's legally blind,his brother wears huge glasses but can see a little bit you get the idea...

so it's after the ceremony and we're outside on the steps getting the group shot done,with his mother standing at my left shoulder and his sister infront of his mother one step below,so close they could hear me breathe

anyway it takes the photographer ages to set up the shot,he's telling us to look straight ahead,don't move and unfortunately the steps are facing south,on a scorcher of a summers day,not a cloud in the sky,it's absolutely torture standing there
    when after a few minutes discomfort I proclaim

"Jaysus this Sun is Bloody Blinding!"
    ,que giggles and gasps all round :o and because the photo still isn't ready i have to spend about another fives minutes standing there,during which i massively overcompensate by rambling about god only knows to his poor mother

it was never spoke of again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Nocturnal forum reminded me of this one so I thought I'd share. :D
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055313718&page=3814

< Oh God! Bruce Springsteen concert this year. I went to the loo, ran back to the OH, snuggled back in beside him, 'Well, didya miss me?' Looked up into the face of a complete stranger. Whose p****d off GF was glaring at me from his other side. Dropped yer mans arm and turned round to see my OH creasing himself laughing. Still haven't lived it down. >

:eek::o:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Weidii

I tend to comment on people without noticing they're there/realising what I'm saying.

I was looking at a display in the young scientist that involved a TV and a webcam (some sort of face recognition thing), anyway the lad who made the thing was explaining it to us for a good while, and I kinda got lost looking at myself and my friend on the screen. Long story short, this fella walks onto the screen and I point at it exclaiming "ha, that guy has boobs!" (he was skinny with big moobs...) not thinking that because he was beside me on the screen he was beside me in real life too... d'oh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 integragal

I guess this is not so much an embarassing moment for ME but was still funny (bear with me, my slang is not European):

My boyfriend and I are on our way out of the apartment and off to lunch, so I volunteer to take out the trash and meet him downstairs in the parking garage by his car. Just as I'm throwing the garbage out, I hear him starting up the engine so I figure I'll just run to his car & hop in. But before I can get there this other blonde girl kind of similar to me walks by and he's like, "Hey baby! Hop on in!" He freaked the bajeezus out of her & she literally runs away as fast as she can from the creepy stranger. Oops, guess that wasn't me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭MJOR

Three weeks ago I was in mahon point retail park with the OH and fell and rolled TJ hooker style on top of his foot! That is one in a long list of them lol:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

When I was about 15, I was getting my eyes tested by a very young optometrist in vision express and being 15, decided to "flirt" (mortified if I think of what I considered flirting then) with him if the opportunity arose. So yer man asks me to place my chin on the doo da and look into these two plastic tubes that were leading into a machine so I did, thinking "OMG morto, I look ridiculous, he'll never ask for my number this way"... Yer man sat down at the other end and started looking into the machine. So Im looking into the tubes when I spot another pair of eyes at the other side. Seizing the moment, I quipped "Oh, you've lovely eyes..."... SILENCE

turns out they were MY eyes and I was looking at some reflective magnifying glass. Yer man just goes "Thanks, but those are actually your eyes"... and the rest of the consultation continued in clinical silence.

One of many embarrassing things but thats one that always stays with me...

Advertisement