Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SACK eddie ; sign this

Options
  • 01-10-2007 12:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

Please everyone email this and ask for EOS head and changes info@IrishRugby.ie. Anyone who doesn't and still complains please shut up. As Edmund Burke once said : " all that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing". I dont care if you don't like this but I cant do nothing.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

oh lord..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 13,587 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

oh lord..

Chucky you visionary , i won't doubt you again ;)

thebaz wrote:
    Chucky you visionary , i won't doubt you again ;)

You know it makes sense Baz. Just a pity it's taken you this long too figure it out!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

Bit overkill IMO

love the way in ireland when something doesn't go our way in a world cup of any sport, some poor coach gets sacked. Sometimes unnecessarily!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Bit overkill IMO

love the way in ireland when something doesn't go our way in a world cup of any sport, some poor coach gets sacked. Sometimes unnecessarily!

That's sporting nations around the world - remember it is already rumoured that NZ will have a new coach next year unless they win the World Cup...Also, Ireland are more forgiving - the fans may call for blood but contracts are handed out without clauses and managers are kept...

- Staunton still in charge, Eddie still in charge (Jenkins was sacked from Wales after a matter of hours...Were they wrong to do this?! - No, they want to get back to winning Grand Slams)

🤪

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 mike dee

Bit overkill IMO

How is it overkill? I I know it probably wont work He needs to go - he has failed in his objectives. In Ireland we have accepted mediocrity for long enough, thats all eddie as provided. Triple crowns are useless, crowns for losers. We can go on being a nation of losers or we can change. Its not enouh to say '' we did or best'' or my other favourite pearl of wisdom ''give it a lash'' - we were crap and EOS needs to pay for that.

In all fairness, staunton should never have been put there in the first place.

But at the same time there's only so much coaching a coach can do. he can do all the work possible to try and prevent the ball dropping, but at the end of the day he wasn't the one on the pitch making stupid schoolboy mistakes was he?

Granted, the high ball game he aimed for yesterday was a serioudly bad call, but one that the players sould have spotted the second time hernandez got the ball and kicked it back to us. It was the players fault yesterday that we were running backwards and forwards yesterday chasing a ball above them!

There was no we did our best or we gave it a lash. The players weren't in a good mental frame of mind. and obviously something bad has happened in the camp. Wether the rumours turn out to be true or not will determine what happened. ROG looks like he's put on 10 years over the last 4 weeks and the team itself seem incredably unsettled. Its unfair to pin everything on a coach that brought us to the level we saw against england and france last year in crokers. People seems to be too quick to forget these things when something doesn't work out, the call for blood is way too hasty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 mike dee

In all fairness, staunton should never have been put there in the first place.

But at the same time there's only so much coaching a coach can do. he can do all the work possible to try and prevent the ball dropping, but at the end of the day he wasn't the one on the pitch making stupid schoolboy mistakes was he?

Granted, the high ball game he aimed for yesterday was a serioudly bad call, but one that the players sould have spotted the second time hernandez got the ball and kicked it back to us. It was the players fault yesterday that we were running backwards and forwards yesterday chasing a ball above them!

There was no we did our best or we gave it a lash. The players weren't in a good mental frame of mind. and obviously something bad has happened in the camp. Wether the rumours turn out to be true or not will determine what happened. ROG looks like he's put on 10 years over the last 4 weeks and the team itself seem incredably unsettled. Its unfair to pin everything on a coach that brought us to the level we saw against england and france last year in crokers. People seems to be too quick to forget these things when something doesn't work out, the call for blood is way too hasty

It was eddie that was managing them not steve staunton, get your sport right. That coach never developed a squad merely 15 players. The manager chosses tactics, squad preparation all of which were clearly wrong. Got to go.

people have very short memories:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Is there a "Do not sack Eddie" petition.

Seriously, who would you prefer to lead us into battle in the future:

1. A new guy with little experience with team.
    2. Someone who hopefully can learn from their experience and their mistakes.

I would be happy to see Eddie stay put for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Yes, sack Eddie and then put <insert name> in charge of the team. He/she will definitely do a better job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I've a much better idea...which is also constructive.

Start an 'Eddie must go if we don't get the grand slam in two years petition'!!

Eddie (live on TV) is forced to promise that he'll stand down in two years if he doesn't deliver a grand slam.

We can start a thorough search for a new coach and not have to pick the first decent guy that comes along.

If Eddie wins the grand slam then he doesn't go, if he doesn't then we give the new guy 2 years to prepare for the next WC.

Edited to include: if a fans petition is enough to make an international coach stand down, do you really think that good coaches with career options will be stepping up to replace him?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

I was at the Argentina game last night and typing this from Paris. Last night´s game was an embarrassment with O´Gara putting in the worst performance I have ever seen from an Irish player. A sad sad day and I feel sorry for all the fans like me who went to great expense to watch that muck. The players, management and IRFU should be ashamed of themselves. I was embarrassed leaving the stadium and if I had another top to put on me, my jersey would have gone in the bin. In the 20 years I´ve been going to games that was the worst ever. Absolute muck!!!

mike dee wrote:
    It was eddie that was managing them not steve staunton, get your sport right. That coach never developed a squad merely 15 players. The manager chosses tactics, squad preparation all of which were clearly wrong. Got to go.
    i was saying staunton shouldn't have gotten his job...
    read more carefully, and the post before mine.

and then i was saying EOS shouldn't get sacked ffs!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Punchbowl

Here, do we reckon EOS told ROG to kick badly? Most of the blame for this failure rests on the players, it would not of mattered what tactics we went out with, we would of lost. Now, you may say there's trouble behind the scenes, but if you really believe that then shouldn't you wait to hear the facts before calling for EOS' head?

The players did not perfom, thus rendering the tactics null and void.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭siochain

Punchbowl wrote:

The players did not perfom, thus rendering the tactics null and void.

And who's job is it to prepare the players?

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Poco Loco

mike dee wrote:
    we were crap and EOS needs to pay for that.

I agree that it is overkill. Why is it Eddie alone you are picking on? As someone else said, did he make ROG play a terrible game? Or Hickie earlier in the tournament? Or Stringer? O Callaghan and O Connell barely got a look in. All that is not his fault. One or two bad decisions, yes - but you cannot please all of the people all of the time.

What the Welsh did was, IMO, callous and unprofessional. Did they even give him a chance to get home? Did they even meet him in person to deliver the news? I really doubt it. Amazing how quickly you've forgotten results like the one against England in Croke Park...

Did it ever occur to anyone that maybe Ireland are not good enough? Maybe they've been hyped up too much? Wanting to get EOS sacked is a complete emotional knee-jerk reaction. And it won't happen. I hope.

There's only so much coaching a coach can do. the players need to be in the right frame of mind, have the ability to take on what they are being coached.

never before has an irish rubgy player been harrassed by the media as much as o gara during this world cup campaign, and abviously it was taking its tole on him as we could see by his mannor and confidence on the pitch. This would also affect the rest of the team, considering the majority of them train with him alot on the munster squad, they would feel bad for him , completly brigning down team morale.

Its completly unjustified to fire EOS based on the overall performance of the team, it wasn't just his mistakes that cost us the qualification, it was the team as a unit not any individual. And we have to remember that EOS is the man who brought ireland to where we were at the start of this year, but we also have to remember that he didn't do it on his own he did it with the rest of the team, with everyone being on peak, whereas now we're not as a team.

Nothing is gelling. They need to build up mentally before starting the six nations campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭siochain

Its completly unjustified to fire EOS based on the overall performance of the team, it wasn't just his mistakes that cost us the qualification, it was the team as a unit not any individual. And we have to remember that EOS is the man who brought ireland to where we were at the start of this year, but we also have to remember that he didn't do it on his own he did it with the rest of the team, with everyone being on peak, whereas now we're not as a team.

Nothing is gelling. They need to build up mentally before starting the six nations campaign.

I would agree if one or two players were off form but when it’s the whole team you have to look at the coach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Eddie failed to prepare suitable replacements and failed to use the replacements that he did have when the team obviously wasn't performing.

People say we have short memories, I disagree, I think people give Eddie too much credit for the good performances over the last few years.

He should resign, but he won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭WobyTide

This performance by Ireland has been a national disgrace, Eddie O'Sullivan should be sacked and so should his successor !!!!

There's no way Eddies getting sacked because a few journalists are calling for his head.I'm glad that the contract was made before the world cup,just in case the IRFU caved in to the demand.Eddies served us well before the World Cup and I'm sure he'll do the same after.This is just a small blip in his career.As someone said he'll learn from his mistakes.After the journalists find something else to write about we can get back to our aim of winning the grandslam.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,587 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

There's no way Eddies getting sacked because a few journalists are calling for his head.I'm glad that the contract was made before the world cup,just in case the IRFU caved in to the demand.Eddies served us well before the World Cup and I'm sure he'll do the same after.This is just a small blip in his career.As someone said he'll learn from his mistakes.After the journalists find something else to write about we can get back to our aim of winning the grandslam.
    its nothing to do with journalists , the man has let down irish rugby , and a "golden generation" of players , with his crazy selections and ill preparation.
    Not sure if your being serious , regarding "small blip" , but Eddie has failed Irish rugby on the biggest rugby arena, failed Humphrys, Quinlan , Neil Best , etc etc
    On yer bike Eddie , or Greedie .. but surprise surprise he plans to stay

http://www.sportinglife.com/rugbyunion/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=rugby/07/10/01/WORLDCUP_Ireland_Nightlead.html

Has the man no sense of decency , and just do the honourable thing

Wow, i still cant believe people think EOS is a good coach and deserves to stay in the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

While he may be partly to blame, his (and the suits in IRFU) fault is in the failure to select 30 players who are up to the task of competing in the world cup, using that squad effectively to select 22 players to win each game and then emplying the bench when the 15 on the field are in need of change and NOT when there's 3 minutes left and big Mal fancies a run out.

What he is not to blame for is cack-hands O'Connell & Co, failure of "one of the world's best" lineout units to win their own ball, poor positioning due to rushes of blood to the head, poor kicking, poor passing, lack of pace, indecision on the field and a litany of other errors.

The captain and the other so-called leaders need to put their hands up and accept some of the blame for what was happening on the field (or not, as the case may be).

I'm not in favour of knee-jerk reactions, less so when the tabloids who do fcuk all coverage of rugby from one end of the season to the next (unless you count Glenda Gilson) decide to stick the knife in.

Eddie is NOT a bad coach, it's not that long since we had New Zealand on the rack at home, beat Aus and SA in Lansdowne, missed out narrowly on a 6N title (thanks to poor decisions ON the field in Rome). He CAN and will learn from his mistakes. He has acknowledged (in an interview before the Argentina game) that his reluctance to go to the bench is a cause of concern.

What is needed is some fresh thinking, some new coaching staff and some new ideas. We're a little stale and our game is predictable now.

Look what the saffies have done. Rather than sack Jake White, they've brought in Jones from Australia to add something to the mix and it's worked. Maybe we should be looking at something like this.

Axing EO'S now isn't the answer, but I'll qualify that by adding that he shouldn't have been given a new contract before the tournament started.

We'll definitly will be getting new coaching staff, EOS has to deflect the blame on the someone.

I still feel Eddie has made the right decision continuing on.People are forgetting what he has done for Irish rugby and in a moment of fury asking for his resignation.Most of the blame lies with the players.Most of them just couldn't perform at this level.Part of the blame rests with the coach but no number of substitutions or different gameplans could have changed our fate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭highlight100

Sack TV3 and the curse it has on Irish Sport !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭RugBeir

Ok then, dont sack him now.

Wait 6 weeks and then fire our worst world cup coach ever!

He had the best players but managed to get the worst results = FAILURE !

Sadly, he has now lost the goodwill of many supporters. From now on, every match will be about EOS and not the team. After that fiasco of a RWC campaign, he should do the honourable thing and fall on his sword.

After 6 weeks reflection and no resignation, the IRFU must give him his marching orders. They now have a very good reason to get rid of him. Wait any longer and they may end up paying a far higher price, in more ways than one. .:(

Advertisement