Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland vs. Argentina

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭acri

dublindude wrote:
    you are responsible for your own success and happiness.
    If that were the case, we wouldn't need coaches. They should be there to devise tactics and to ensure we have our best players for the job on the team.

I'm not saying that it's entirally Eddie's fault, but he can't side-step his responsibilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭mikeruurds

BOD should stop the damage control. The Argies played to a plan and found the Irish out.

If they weren't playing then what were BOD and the boys doing. He should rather shut up and take his beating like a man.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,687 ✭✭✭✭walshb

acri wrote:
    What O'Driscoll said was bull****. Every team plays to win. It's no excuse for bad play. Besides, we used to have a fantastic defence, capable of stopping the most powerful of teams. New management is in order. Last October, I thought we were ready to conquer the world. Oh, how wrong I was.
    You hit the nail on the head. Last October we were at our peak. It's hard to maintain that level of success, especially when no new fresh blood is coming thru the system. We have been slipping, and fast, since last October......

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

very direct question there from the tv3 reporter, brave girl, well done

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

irish-stew wrote:
    what she ask, i don't watch tv3 as i despise matt cooper.

• Advertisement

Cremo wrote:

Would EOS reconsider his contract extension?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭lukin

irish-stew wrote:

Very insulting remarks by Glennon after, laughing at her saying "she doesn't have career in sports reporting". Cooper stuck up for her thankfully.

Poor Hickey. Absolute legend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭TheDeficit

We're just not strong enough. The argies pushed us around effortlessly, this side seriously needs to beef up. Scotland are absolute ****e but are huge, they won't be blown away and could well beat the argies.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

lukin wrote:
    Very insulting remarks by Glennon after, laughing at her saying "she doesn't have career in sports reporting". Cooper stuck up for her thankfully.

he didn't say that, he said 'she musn't want a career in sports reporting'. As in if she did whe wouldn't be pissing people off so early in her career. He is likely right as without the co-operation of the management and palyers there is no future as a sports reporter. Hence why we normally only see them given easy questions..

• Advertisement

Cremo wrote:

sorry, asked him about his contract,
    lukin wrote:

was a little taken aback by his comment as well

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

The Argies will account for Scotland with the same game plan that saw to France and Ireland. The Scots back three won't terrify anyone. That said, it won't surprise me if it's closer than today.

By the way, BOD really oes himself no favours when he opens his gob. Ignoble and spoilt.

TheDeficit wrote:
    We're just not strong enough. The argies pushed us around effortlessly, this side seriously needs to beef up. Scotland are absolute ****e but are huge, they won't be blown away and could well beat the argies.
    There's more to the sport than brute strength. Anyways, we are a weighty team most of the time. As has been said, the problem lies in stupid mistakes, bad management decisions, and a decided lack of spirit.

*EDIT*
    Also, it looks like the players have a problem with Eddie's coaching. When Hickey was asked whether or not the players stand by his decisions, he gave a very vague answer.

acri wrote:

Also, it looks like the players have a problem with Eddie's coaching. When Hickey was asked whether or not the players stand by his decisions, he gave a very vague answer.

like him and the panel said, he's not really the person to ask, they just got knocked out of the awc, and he has just retired

wouldn't look good if he made a misquoted comment that early

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

mbonsoir wrote:
    And now O'Driscoll on the BBC blaming the Pumas for not wanting to play...

Give me a break.
    To be fair, he was bound to be frustrated speaking immediately after the game.

Jim Glennon on TV3 was spot on when he called it absolute BS and pointed out, rightly, that Irish rugby has been based traditionally on not letting the other team play the way they wanted to.

It highlights what I suspected above: our team did not expect the Argentinians to refuse to kick the ball to touch and had no idea how to return the deep punt. We should have anticipated this: Georgia did it to us, and as Matt Williams pointed out at the time it's what Munster have been doing to everybody else for years.

We should have had a system in place to support a runner taking the ball from deep. We didn't. The coach's fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭Shan75

This interviewing of players straight after games is crap.Players like o'Driscoll need to be doing their talking on the pitch and leave the nonsense talk to EOS because he really enjoys seeing how much rubbish he can speak and how many ridiculous cliches and redundant terms he can get into one interview.To be fair to O'Driscoll he was the only Irish player who looked like he was capable of causing any damage to the Argies although there were a few others who played well but do not have his class so are limited in what they can do at this level.O'Gara certainly is a limited player but he was our worst player in the tournament.He knows he is guaranteed his place provided he can walk and the same is true of others in the team and that is a shocking way for Irish rugby to be run.Because of this until Eddie is removed our national team will get worse.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Good to see Contepomi getting his own back on O'Gara. O'Gara thought he was pure mad when Munster beat Leinster in the Heineken Cup 2006.
    You could see Contepomi was in O'Gara's ear in the whole match.
    too right too.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Setanta doing a WC recap using The Man in Black singing Hurt :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Perfect song for the moment.
    The only thing I've enjoyed listening to today

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭yogidc26

EOS HAS TO GO .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭giddyup

irish-stew wrote:

I was watching this on Setanta - must have been the same girl. She sounds very like one of the girls from the Moncrieff show. Sporting knowledge or journalistic ambitions aside I was delighted she asked that question. Exactly the right time to put him on the spot. He had to ask her to repeat the question - then the look he gave her at the end of the interview was golden. Setanta then cut back to studio where Fitzy and Franno were both laughing. Matt Williams not surprisingly was disgusted by the question. I like the guy but I can see how a question like that would be a bit raw for him.

I'm not one for Ireland/EOS bashing but he does need to be asked hard questions. That was the best bit of TV I've seen since the start of this sorry tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

copacetic wrote:
    he didn't say that, he said 'she musn't want a career in sports reporting'. As in if she did whe wouldn't be pissing people off so early in her career. He is likely right as without the co-operation of the management and palyers there is no future as a sports reporter. Hence why we normally only see them given easy questions..

Possibly George Hamilton does not want a career either, the amount of errors he made, worse than Leinster or Ireland ;) Vs Toulose.

He even referred to Dempsey today !!

Its just easier to talk about this than the match it self :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

Reddan made a case for at least being the number two 9 for Ireland, BOD was good in patches as was Murphy.

The rest should be shot with balls of their own $#!t€.

End of story, I'm too browned off to comment further and given the fact that EOS shows no signs of leaving I don't expect anything to change so that's the last I'll say on Ireland WC shenanigans.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,656 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

walshb wrote:
    You hit the nail on the head. Last October we were at our peak. It's hard to maintain that level of success, especially when no new fresh blood is coming thru the system. We have been slipping, and fast, since last October......

those games you refer to were experimental games for the opposition with a view to the world cup. it wasn't a question of us peaking we were never as good as some people suggested we were after those autumnal matches.
    a telling indictment of this manager's ineptitude is all the teams in the knock out stages have used a rotational system...

Also, it's time to adopt the French atttude to the Six Nations.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Possibly George Hamilton does not want a career either, the amount of errors he made, worse than Leinster or Ireland ;) Vs Toulose.

He even referred to Dempsey today !!

Its just easier to talk about this than the match it self :(

Eh, Conor McNamara. :D

He said Dempsey instead of Murphy on at least three ocassions when Murphy had the ball.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I bet against Ireland with my overly patriotic flatmate. They have been absolutely awful to date and it would have been a crime for the Argies not to go through given the massive, almost diametrically opposed way they have approached this WC. Fair play to them, I hope they win it.

Irish play lacks any of the wide running, ball handling flair that the All Blacks and others have to fall back on. If we cant ruck forwards (and we cant against the modern packs) then we kick.

Those are 5-minutes-before-the-game school-boy b-side tactics drawn up on the way to the match.

I'm only sorry they didnt lose worse because then we'd have a revolution and something would change. Of all the possible outcomes, this is the worst.

DeV.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 883 ✭✭✭moe_sizlak

what did o drischoll say after scorring the try , something like thats for the falklands or something you spic pigs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

A sad day with another bad perfromance, best of luck to the Argies though, hope they do well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭NotWormBoy

mbonsoir wrote:
    And now O'Driscoll on the BBC blaming the Pumas for not wanting to play...

Give me a break.

For as long we keep blaming someone else for poor performances, we'll continue to perform badly.

Time for a new coach, a new captain, and a new era

Are you referring to his comment about the Argentines not wanting to play in their own half? Because if you are, I took that as him actually complimenting Argentina by saying that they had Ireland pinned in our own half for most of it.

BOD's been ok as captain. He was trying all the time to show the rest of the team how to do it - and he was one of our best players this tournament. Not saying much mind you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Press conference on Setanta now.

Advertisement