Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

9 years and not engaged

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭skallywag

lillylouxx wrote: »
    I guess what I'm asking is where do I go from here?

Just be open with him and tell him the comments that you were getting got to you a bit, and take the chat from there. I know you may feel apprehensive now about it all, but from what you have described things can be put back on track quite easily I think, and you will be looking back on all this over Christmas and feeling a bit silly maybe about it all ;)

Good Luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 lillylouxx

Maybe i'm giving the wrong impression I never told him that this was making me want to leave I told him that I needed to think. I never said that to him. We didn't argue and I would never say that to him. Ill try to talk to him (hes definitely not very vocal about his feelings ever) Thank you all for the advice and I shall let ye know what happens x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Maybe i'm giving the wrong impression I never told him that this was making me want to leave I told him that I needed to think. I never said that to him. We didn't argue and I would never say that to him. Ill try to talk to him (hes definitely not very vocal about his feelings ever) Thank you all for the advice and I shall let ye know what happens x

Oh sorry, that was just the impression I picked up from the OP.

Best of luck anyway. I'm sure things'll be fine once you talk things through properly with both of you having had a chance to think about things. Like you said, you've been through a lot together. I'm sure you'll be able to work through this too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

Actually OP I'll defend you on the 'wanting to do it because of other people' thing. It's most likely that people put the idea in your head and that made you realise that it's what you want. Otherwise people's comments wouldn't really bother you. Or not so much anyway. If people commented to me "Why don't you go backpacking in Thailand for a year" it wouldn't make me think "Yeah actually, why don't I?" because that's not something I'm interested in. But you are interested in getting married which is why the comments are annoying you so much.

As for what you should do now. Talk to your partner. Tell him "Okay, saying I wanted a ring for Christmas probably made you feel a bit pressured. I don't want to pressure you. But I do want to talk about us getting married someday. Why don't we put a pin in it for now and agree to discuss it next March/April?" That gives him time to think about what he wants and also you know you two are going to talk about what you both want, it's not going to drag on and on and on. Btw, I deliberately picked a date that would be after Valentine's Day, don't be upset if he doesn't propose on Valentine's Day. Give him a bit longer than 6 weeks.

There is a wedding website that has a section called "waiting" for women who are not yet engaged but are hoping to be. Maybe you could check that out as you could talk to like-minded women.

• Administrators Posts: 13,769 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

If I really think about it there will always be little things that make me feel that way but overall no.

No relationship is romance and flowers all the time. Every relationship goes through patches. If overall you know you want to be with him, then don't throw it away over a misunderstanding.

And regardless of what you say, 3 days of not talking is not normal ;) I guess when things are good between you you'd at least send a text?! Someone needs to swallow their pride and be the first to make contact.

Good luck, you sound like you have a lovely family.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

It seems to me that you want to get engaged because you think you should be engaged and like the idea of being engaged and telling your friends and family and posting it on Facebook and whatever else. Yeah you've been together a long time but you essentially got together as children and have known nothing else. Engagement rings cost money as do weddings, can ye afford that? You were wrong to demand a ring and selfish then to ignore him and wrong to feel betrayed just because you didn't get what you want. I met my wife at 30 - we didn't get married for 6 years after that. You guys are still young. Plenty of time for all that when you are older so get over it and give him space and time because if I was in his shoes and read this, I'd seriously consider whether or not to walk away.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

OP, I get where you are coming from. I understand the pressure from friends and family and plastering on the stupid fake grin when someone on a night out starts at you about engagement and weddings and you hear it so often that you wonder if maybe all of them are right, and you are the one that's wrong.

Some people might tell you that if he hasn't proposed by now, he never will. I disagree, because I have personal experience of the opposite.

When I was at the same crossroads I asked myself a question that clarified it for me: If I had to choose between being with him forever, never marrying him, or breaking up to find a relationship where I was Mrs. X, but with someone else, what would I choose? It helped me decide.

For me, I decided that I wanted to spend my life with him, even if that meant we would never get married. I realised how happy the relationship makes me. I looked around at some bickering married couples and knew our relationship was nicer, more respectful and happier than theirs. I didn't want marriage if it wasn't going to be with him as my husband. And that the answer for me.

Ironically, a few years on from that, we are engaged now. And now I'm the one that is in no hurry to marry. :)

Neyite wrote: »
    OP, I get where you are coming from. I understand the pressure from friends and family and plastering on the stupid fake grin when someone on a night out starts at you about engagement and weddings and you hear it so often that you wonder if maybe all of them are right, and you are the one that's wrong.

Some people might tell you that if he hasn't proposed by now, he never will. I disagree, because I have personal experience of the opposite.

When I was at the same crossroads I asked myself a question that clarified it for me: If I had to choose between being with him forever, never marrying him, or breaking up to find a relationship where I was Mrs. X, but with someone else, what would I choose? It helped me decide.

For me, I decided that I wanted to spend my life with him, even if that meant we would never get married. I realised how happy the relationship makes me. I looked around at some bickering married couples and knew our relationship was nicer, more respectful and happier than theirs. I didn't want marriage if it wasn't going to be with him as my husband. And that the answer for me.

Ironically, a few years on from that, we are engaged now. And now I'm the one that is in no hurry to marry. :)
    thank you very much for your very helpful advice and to all those who gave helpful advice. This was my first and last time on an internet forum. I came here to ask for constructive advice and obviously didn't realise i was putting my whole life out there to be judged. I am not a bad person and I love my family very much. I was questioning his love for me given his response. I sincerely hope that the people who are judging me do not receive the same response when faced with an issue in their life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭Stavro Mueller

That's the internet for you I'm afraid. People can only go by the limited information they see on the screen and fill in the blanks. The written word isn't the greatest for expressing nuances etc.

Anyway I hope things work out for you and that this is nothing more than a misunderstanding.

thank you very much for your very helpful advice and to all those who gave helpful advice. This was my first and last time on an internet forum. I came here to ask for constructive advice and obviously didn't realise i was putting my whole life out there to be judged. I am not a bad person and I love my family very much. I was questioning his love for me given his response. I sincerely hope that the people who are judging me do not receive the same response when faced with an issue in their life

Sorry about that. I'm sure the things most people say are mostly meant with the best intentions. Print on screen can just be cold by it's nature. I don't think anyone thinks you're a bad person or anything like that. You're obviously not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

I think you're overreacting again. You asked a question and you didn't like some answers.

Your whole life was not put out to be judged. Your life was not judged, nor were you judged. Your behaviour was judged because that's what you asked for. There is a difference between you, your life and your behaviour.

Your gave your facts and got asked for advice. Nobody here is claiming to be a relationship expert, just people like you who give an invited response when they feel they have something to contribute.

Now you're obviously feeling sensitive right now and that's understandable.

It can be hard trying to reconnect after an uncomfortable situation.

Some things you could do to reconnect
    * ask for a hug
    * offer him a hug
    * tell him you love him
    * tell him you're sorry for bringing it up if he did not like it
    * be kind to each other

And later you could
    * tell him you would like to marry him
    * ask him would he like to marry you (I do not mean propose!)
    * say that you'ld like to put a pin in it for now but you would like to talk about your future around March
    * if he does not want to get married, you will want (in a few months) to discuss the other arrangements you need to put in place to take practical care of the family, such as Wills, Enduring Power of Attorney, guardianship of your children, banking, life assurance etc.

But the reconnecting starts with kindness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 wonderfulalice

Hi OP,

I thought I would answer your question about someone saying no to a proposal but the relationship continuing.

I am one of those people. I was and still am in a great relationship with my OH but about four years in to our relationship he blindsided me with an unexpected proposal. It had this beautiful ring, perfect setting and of course the huge surprise and for many women it would have been their dream. Not so for me.

Marriage was not, is not and never will be any form of commitment in my mind (others will disagree). For instance my OH sees it very differently. He likes the security it gives kids& a family, the legal rights of next of kin and the very idea of making a public commitment that this is your life partner.

No matter how hurt my OH was at the time of the proposal it killed me more to hurt him in the way I did. It was a very tough few weeks in my life as I struggled to figure out what I wanted and if I could or should throw out my very beliefs or stand by them. But through it all my OH was beside me with ready hugs, understanding, talking me through my feelings, reasoning with me and giving unwavering support. He told me that he loved me more than anything and that if it was marriage or me that he would take me every single time. He proved in those very emotional weeks how great a partner he is.

We worked through it and I realised that someone who puts you first, even in that situation, is someone very special. As strange as it may be I think his belief in me and us at that time made us a stronger unit in the end. It was never that I didn't love him, see him as my life long partner or not feel committed to him. I simply wasn't ready or able at that point of my life to marry him.

It may be many years later and I do still struggle with the concept but we are about to be married. I still don't believe in it and I really hope it won't change our relationship but I am happy to put my reservations aside to make my OH happy. He and us is what counts and it is a compromise I am now willing and ready to make- all the more ready as I was given the time to make that decision for myself.

A husband or wife has to deal with your flaws, your beliefs and perspectives even if they are not their own. It takes a lot of respect and compromise to make a successful relationship...marriage or no marriage. Before you decide to walk away I really hope you sit down and ask him and yourself the very tough questions- it may be the start of a life long conversation because if you are in it for the long haul there will be many more such tough questions ahead.

I wish you all the best, only you can make the decision about what's right for you and only he can make that decision for himself. I also hope there is a compromise in there that works for both of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭ILikeBananas

I think it's been said above but it should be reiterated. OP, your boyfriend saying that he isn't ready to marry you at the moment does not mean that he doesn't see a future with you.

When you do talk to him again about this you should probably ask him if he does see a future with you. Based on what you've said about your relationship in this thread I'm 99% sure he'll say he does.

As an aside: would he be the first of his group of friends to get married? From my own experience I think that has a huge bearing on guys' thinking when it comes to marriage. Once a few lads from a group who grew up together start getting married you'll often see a deluge of weddings as guys suddenly become "ready". I was at a wedding last year of a couple who has been going out 15 years. The youngest guy in my group of friends to get married was 28. Most were over 30.

Hi all
    I thought I would update you on how things turned out. I think if I gave advice I'd like to know how everything went.
    I went to work last night and received a text from my partner. He said he hated seeing me unhappy and that he loved me.
    He said that he wanted to get married but not until our house was built ( currently in planning stages) and he did not want to get engaged until we are actually going to get married. I probably should have mentioned that before, the reason that I was so eager
    was that I wanted some sort of commitment before signing into a life long loan with him for legal reasons in additional others . I accept his response because I now feel he has thought about marriage and knows what I want. It was never so I could tell my friends "I'm engaged or update a facebook status. I now understand why he wants to wait. I am glad that I waited to speak to him about it because I needed to get my head together and so did he. Thank you all very much for your advice and I apologise to anyone that I may have offended, I felt attacked at times and that my intentions were being questioned but I can see now that my initial post probably gave the wrong impression

<Mod Snip: There's no need to unnecessarily quote an entire post, it clogs up the thread with duplicate text.>

it appears that ye haven't actually spoken at all!
    He sent you a text msg.
    If ye are happy with this level of communication between ye, then all the best for your future.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

bubblypop wrote: »
    <Mod Snip: There's no need to quote the entire post before you. It just clogs up the thread with duplicate text.>

Exactly .... Op the two of ye really need to improve your face to face communication skills to make a marriage work. It all sounds very immature tbh so maybe it's best to wait a few years to get married. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

I agree with the face to face being best.

BUT
    sometimes texting is appropriate because it gives the texter the opportunity to think about exactly what they want to say and to say it without interruption.

It gives the receiver time to consider the text without reacting emotionally or thoughtlessly.

It might not work for every couple - but it seemed to work for this couple this time.

I presume, OP, that you have physically spoken about this since to him?

I don't agree. They are talking about getting married here, not what to have for dinner... They need to learn the skill of face to face problem resolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

But also they're not getting married just yet. So they have time to learn before tying the knot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭Stavro Mueller

Glad to read this OP. I hope everything goes well for you :)

• Advertisement

Delighted to hear it Lily. Hope the three of you have a nice Christmas together. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Im in a slightly similar situation. Im with my partner 14 years and no engagement. To be fair, we met when we were young, i had no interest in marriage until the past year or so. We get on well, living together in his house for the past 8 years, go on big holidays every year, good social lives etc. We went away for a year travelling around the world recently, and he wasnt too keen on this, but did it for me as he knew i wanted to do it or would always regret it. and only recently i have been bringing up the topic of marriage and he did say he was reading about it online a year ago before we went travelling. But he does admit he has no interest in marriage and it doesnt change anything, and hates the thought of a big wedding, and the only reason he would want to do it would be for me, he would be happy not to get married. He does want kids though. But whenever i bring it up, we end up having huge arguments about it, as im getting very impatient now and kinda want to know when its going to happen, but as we are just back and are both broke at the moment he says he cant afford a ring now, but hes just not pushed about the whole thing anyway and would only do it to keep me happy. Is it right to marry someone who is only doing it to keep you happy? And wait for god knows how long until he can afford a ring? I envy people who are just surprised by when it happens them, i feel like i almost have to ask for it, is that right? And now every time i bring it up we end up having a fight.
    Thanks for any insight or anyone who has been in similar situations.

sorry im not very good at explaining things. the text was what started the conversation but we spoke when i finished work and im very happy with the outcome.
    I thank you all for your help and i hope you all have a fantastic Christmas
    xxx

sorry im not very good at explaining things. the text was what started the conversation but we spoke when i finished work and im very happy with the outcome.
    I thank you all for your help and i hope you all have a fantastic Christmas
    xxx

Great. Best of luck to all of you and hope you have a very happy future.

Advertisement