Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another CID query

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

pk2014 wrote: »
    I have the cid since 2011 and I have taught 22 every year since.
    They have always been fixed purpose and are my own hours.
    Millem did the teacher request it or was it automatically done?
    Do you think it should be after 3 years or 4? I was hoping that it would be after 3 with hr but the circular doesn't mention reviews only that if a cid is for partial hours a principal should try to allocate extra hours to existing teachers before advertising.

It happens automatically in my school my principal is great like that :) it should be after 3 years now with HR. Just make sure those 11 hours are "yours" as it has happened that people think they are theirs but they are actually a job share from a completely separate dept that has nothing to do with you but principal has shuffled hours. If they are yours and are learning support I don't know if they will go towards CID either :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 pk2014

Cheers. Thanks for the replies

• Registered Users Posts: 9 ohdannyboy

Hi, hope others can help as It's hard to get a straight answer from asti sometimes.
    I'm currently in my 3rd fixed term contract in the one school.
    12/13 was 7 hrs 20 mins.
    13/14 was 7hrs 15 mins.
    14/15 is 12 hrs 10 mins.
    Can anyone outline exactly what happens now in relation to a cid?
    I assumed that one will automatically be offered to me this summer. Union says not necessarily. That I have to be offered a 4th first.
    Should I be talking to my principal on this? My gut says no, as he is "awkward".
    Advice welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

ohdannyboy wrote: »
    Hi, hope others can help as It's hard to get a straight answer from asti sometimes.
    I'm currently in my 3rd fixed term contract in the one school.
    12/13 was 7 hrs 20 mins.
    13/14 was 7hrs 15 mins.
    14/15 is 12 hrs 10 mins.
    Can anyone outline exactly what happens now in relation to a cid?
    I assumed that one will automatically be offered to me this summer. Union says not necessarily. That I have to be offered a 4th first.
    Should I be talking to my principal on this? My gut says no, as he is "awkward".
    Advice welcome!

They are right and wrong. When CIDs were reduced to 3 years you have to be asked back for your fourth year for the CID to kick in. So if you are re-employed in September by your school then your CID should come automatically (sometimes you have to chase it up) and it should be for the hours you had in your third year which would be 12:10.

The expert group that was set up as a result of Haddington Road recommended in Septmber just gone that CIDs be reduced to 2 years. I'm guessing this has not come into effect yet.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/education/parttime-teachers-to-get-job-security-after-two-years-30595566.html

Ignoring that for the moment, if your 12:10 is all your own, i.e. some of those hours aren't covering a maternity etc, then if you are back in September you should get your CID for 12:10. Based on past experience, I'd just keep my head down for the moment, there's nothing you can do about getting a CID until September.

Thanks rainbowtrout.
    In addition to this, I have been given extra maths classes last year and this year. This year, for instance, I have a 40 minute class since Oct and then another 40 min class since Jan 15.
    These were not contracted hours, instead were subbing, paid by the school. Do I wait till Sept and then appeal?

• Advertisement

If they are subbing do they belong to another teacher?

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭theLuggage

Whether or not they belong to another teacher doesn't matter. The Adjudicator (sp?) has ruled a few times that ALL hours in the year prior to being offered a CID should be part of that CID. As long as they were for the entire year.

Whether the union will want to argue that on your behalf for 40 mins is another matter.

Also under the new two year rule you would be getting a 7 hr 15 min CID not the 12 hr 10 min presumably - interesting to see how that plays out!

theLuggage wrote: »
    Whether or not they belong to another teacher doesn't matter. The Adjudicator (sp?) has ruled a few times that ALL hours in the year prior to being offered a CID should be part of that CID. As long as they were for the entire year.

Whether the union will want to argue that on your behalf for 40 mins is another matter.

Also under the new two year rule you would be getting a 7 hr 15 min CID not the 12 hr 10 min presumably - interesting to see how that plays out!

In previous years the temporary hours were not given CID status if they were in the final year. Also is there a circular anywhere to show that the two year ruling has come into effect and how it effects teachers like the OP?

In previous years the temporary hours were not given CID status if they were in the final year. Also is there a circular anywhere to show that the two year ruling has come into effect and how it effects teachers like the OP?

Temporary hours in the final year have been given CID status in the past. It has been done through Adjudicator rulings. I know this as some of my CID hours came from being temporary in the final year. Union supported my case and were fantastic doing it.

No circular about the two year that I'm aware of. That's the cynical part of me assuming the Dept would be happier to give a CID for 7 hrs + than 12 +, but hopefully the union will be all over that if it happens. As I said interesting to see what happens there.

Some links:
    http://www.asti.ie/uploads/media/ASTIR_Journal_SEPTEMBER2011_proof5.pdf See page 35 for short bit about temporary hours and CID
    http://www.asti.ie/uploads/media/ASTIR_NovDec2010_web.pdf See page 31 with "Hours Covered" heading in particular

Well if I'm offered a cid surely it has to be for the hours in my third year. The new recommendations will not come into effect until Sept. If I'm reemployed the cid will surely be processed before this and therefore for 12:10.?
    I'll think about the extra classes issue.

• Advertisement

ohdannyboy wrote: »
    Well if I'm offered a cid surely it has to be for the hours in my third year. The new recommendations will not come into effect until Sept. If I'm reemployed the cid will surely be processed before this and therefore for 12:10.?
    I'll think about the extra classes issue.

It would be of more benefit to you to have a CID for 12:10 that 7 hours no matter how many years you are there. The only reason I would go chasing up the CID after two years in your position is if there was a chance they were going to let you go this summer.

theLuggage wrote: »

Yes agreed entirely rainbotrout. I was responding to the luggages comment above that under new recommendations I could be offered the hours I was contracted for in year 2.

Well hopefully you would be getting your 12+hrs. I can see my comment was a bit strong there - it was meant to be more of a musing than you definitely would get only 7+ hrs - I need to read my stuff more throughly before I post!

Just a note of caution and again I know nothing about the new recommendations, when they come into effect etc, but just ask the union if you are on to them about the hours they would expect you to get. Nothing is ever straightforward with the Dept in my experience!

And as rainbowtrout says if there are no hours for you next year then the 7+ are definitely better than nothing. And again another point to consider - if that happens and the new recommendations don't come in until Sept, would you be entitled to a two yr CID? As you would have done your years before the recommendations came in? Again this may be covered in the recommendations, I don't know.

All these issues will probably be a little bit in flux as it comes in and may depend from case to case etc. So definitely ring the union and get their advice on everything. They will know all the angles and rulings from the Adjudicator that may be relevant to your individual case.

Your comment didn't offend. Ya I've been talking to the union alright. Thanks for the advice. Newish to boards, am finding it very interesting and informative. The "lonely profession" has a voice!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Also is there a circular anywhere to show that the two year ruling has come into effect and how it effects teachers like the OP?

From what I've been told it effects teachers who just started rpts this year i.e. if you began an RPT in September you must reinterview in summer. Principals have been told this. Not sure how it effects those with 2 years completed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 eduser

There has been no circular though?

Not yet but principals have been told officially.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭markjh

Mardy Bum wrote: »

When? It's not long ago since I had a conversation with my principal about this. There was no official word on it at all... And she's very in favour of it

markjh wrote: »
    When? It's not long ago since I had a conversation with my principal about this. There was no official word on it at all... And she's very in favour of it

Last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Hazelnut Button

From what I've been told it effects teachers who just started rpts this year i.e. if you began an RPT in September you must reinterview in summer. Principals have been told this. Not sure how it effects those with 2 years completed.

I began an RPT in September so this would apply to me. Why do you have to reinterview?

• Advertisement

I began an RPT in September so this would apply to me. Why do you have to reinterview?

That was the recommendation that came out of the committee set up coming from the HRA recommendations.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Hazelnut Button

That was the recommendation that came out of the committee set up coming from the HRA recommendations.

Ah ok. I can understand it in one sense (i.e.if person is not performing) but overall seems like a waste of time in that people will be applying for a job that could already be gone (ie when school is happy with person hired originally).

Do you have to reinterview after year 2?

Ah ok. I can understand it in one sense (i.e.if person is not performing) but overall seems like a waste of time in that people will be applying for a job that could already be gone (ie when school is happy with person hired originally).

Do you have to reinterview after year 2?

No. If you are brought back for a third year you will get your CID. I'd agree on the reinterview and jobs being gone already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

Told officially, as in by whom? Has the new 2 year CID including career break/secondment been officially notified to Principals also?

Any idea when we can expect the Circular to be released?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭chases0102

Hopefully that Circular will be released soon - it would be great to get a bit of closure on the whole issue.

Advertisement