Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Language and Discrimination in the Workplace

Options
  • 14-01-2013 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭

I work for a large firm in Ireland.

I am one of around 30 people , 5 of which are Irish. The other 25 are Polish.

We work closely together ..Sometime to close.

Myself and the other Irish workers are becoming more and more uncomfortable in our work place due to the the Polish workers constant talking in their native language . There could be five of them around one Irish person speaking brashly and loudly in Polish. Its coming to a boiling point as it is making the Irish workers feel more and more uncomfortable and even paranoid . As well as being down right rude.

What steps can be taken to enforce the foreign workers to have a little more respect to their fellow workers.
    I am also good friends with them but this has become unbearable at times and drawing a noticeable divide between our 2 cultures.

Is there any laws protecting the Irish worker in these situations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

Is there any employment laws protecting them from being asked to speak only in English?

Theres no legal basis to ask them that.

Imagine you went abroad for work and were told you couldnt speak english to an Irish co-worker.

Are you actually listening to what you are asking here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Just start speaking Irish to each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Or learn some polish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

As far as I know, you have an absolute legal right to understand co-workers' private conversations.

Can't remember the specific legislation, so might be mistaken.

Separately, in the interim, you might be able to bring an injunction against them for speaking foreign.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

Sacksian wrote: »
    As far as I know, you have an absolute legal right to understand co-workers' private conversations.

Separately, in the interim, you might be able to bring an injunction against them for speaking foreign.

Be sure to come back with precise detail for the above post.

Tom Young wrote: »

I'd love to see that myself!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

http://www.lceb.ie/equalatwork/best_practice.html

Q: Can I make English (Irish) the official language of the workplace or employ only those people who speak English (or Irish) above a certain standard?
    A: Employers can require levels of competency or fluency in any language as long as there is a genuine business need for the requirement. These requirements may include providing for efficient operations and ensuring the health, safety and welfare at work for all employees. A good general rule here is that if the candidate for a position has sufficient command of English (or Irish) to complete the job application and successfully pass the interview stage for that position then they should be accommodated in the workplace. Accommodation may include providing certain documents in the workers language and incorporating signage workers can clearly understand.
    Q: Can I have an 'English Only' policy?
    A: 'English Only' policies are patently discriminatory and would be very difficult to justify as a genuine business requirement. 'English Only' is not the same a requiring employees to have a specific level of Competency in speaking, reading or writing English in order to perform certain roles or to work in certain areas of a business.

This is the best I could find in layman's terms as to what the Equality act says.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭CommanderC

brokenarms wrote: »
    I work for a large firm in Ireland.

I am one of around 30 people , 5 of which are Irish. The other 25 are Polish.

We work closely together ..Sometime to close.

Myself and the other Irish workers are becoming more and more uncomfortable in our work place due to the the Polish workers constant talking in their native language . There could be five of them around one Irish person speaking brashly and loudly in Polish. Its coming to a boiling point as it is making the Irish workers feel more and more uncomfortable and even paranoid . As well as being down right rude.

What steps can be taken to enforce the foreign workers to have a little more respect to their fellow workers.
    I am also good friends with them but this has become unbearable at times and drawing a noticeable divide between our 2 cultures.

Is there any laws protecting the Irish worker in these situations?

Protecting Irish workers from what ? Your own paranoia ?

If you don't like it, then you should quit, as you are the one with the problem here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭telecaster

I worked for an English company based offshore, and the local employees were not allowed to speak their local language within the office - English only.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

It's very rude and I hate it with passion.

OP, try to learn a little bit of Polish and take them by surprise - I might help you with that if you want.

telecaster wrote: »
    I worked for an English company based offshore, and the local employees were not allowed to speak their local language within the office - English only.

Glad to see jingoism amongst my countrymen is alive and well.

I have spoken to our personnel manager and they have had a word in a few ears.

Apparently it is company policy that English is the language that all communications should be made within the working environment and is in every workers terms of employment.

But by simply asking the foreign workers to kindly have a little more respect for their colleges and being aware of who is around them , the problem seems to be fixed. For now. No one has any wish to stop them altogether but a happy medium needs to be reached.

By the way. I am learning Polish and have been for the last month. It has been very enlightening with the word Kurwa popping up in every sentence these guy use. Nasty stuff indeed.

I wonder if the Polish lads will start a new thread or use this one for advice on their discrimination claims probably no legs there but I would wonder if a freedom of expression breach might have more luck.

Ah sorry I forgot - they'll just get on with the job.

Tom Young wrote: »
    NoQuarter wrote: »
    I'd love to see that myself!! :D

I can't work out if some of you need to learn to speak sarcasm or not. :pac:

I could have swore that was a serious post when I read it first, I didnt read the injuction part at that time though, I think I was still in half a rage at the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

My son worked in a place like that and there where accidents because no one would speck English.
    I think just asking people to try and talk to each other in English should be enough. Hope it gets sorted OP.Cathy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akwU-ddEloI

Were you in college with this guy?

• Advertisement

cathy01 wrote: »
    My son worked in a place like that and there where accidents because no one would speck English.
    I think just asking people to try and talk to each other in English should be enough. Hope it gets sorted OP.Cathy

OK, you first. :pac:

My whole thoughts on this has changed. Im so used to it now it does not really bother me at all now. In fact I have learned so much .
    I can count up to 100 and exchange a little conversation. Fairly basic stuff.
    Attitude changed now the whole culture shock was absorbed with time.

I admit at the start I could have been a bit intorrarent .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

A few years back there was a large group of Polish, Slovak etc workers in my workplace. I moved into a house share with some of them for a few years. Any conversations not directed at me tended to be in Polish. Didnt bother me in the slightest. Im not so self centered that I imagined all their conversations revolved around me and I couldnt give a fiddlers to be perfectly honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Oakboy

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    A few years back there was a large group of Polish, Slovak etc workers in my workplace. I moved into a house share with some of them for a few years. Any conversations not directed at me tended to be in Polish. Didnt bother me in the slightest. Im not so self centered that I imagined all their conversations revolved around me and I couldnt give a fiddlers to be perfectly honest.

I wonder would you have been as tolerant had it been Irish they were speaking....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

I wonder if he'd have been so tolerant if it was Klingon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

They are probably more comfortable speaking Polish to be honest. Can you ask them to make an effort to speak English? Otherwise try to learn Polish- they'd probably love that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Oakboy wrote: »
    I wonder would you have been as tolerant had it been Irish they were speaking....

Thread is about foreign nationals speaking their Native languages not Irish/UK Nationals speaking hobby languages.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

Its pretty standard in international Scandinavian companies that the language for business is English. Of course they are a more advanced race than us here in the British Isles and in Eastern Europe!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

What's the translation for Kurwa?.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

aujopimur wrote: »
    What's the translation for Kurwa?.
    Something not very nice apparently - http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=kurwa

Advertisement