Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yet another line rental increase imminent

Options
  • 13-01-2004 8:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭

Listening to Morning Ireland at the moment, Eircom have announced another increase in line rental. Interview with somone from eircom about it at ~7:45. More to come.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Increase of 7.5% to €24.18. Application for increase sent to regulartor today. David McRedmond on rte1 now.

McRedmond was nattering on about low population densitys being the cause for ireland having the highest line rental in europe. Attempted to claim that its below average but the presenter cut him off.

He was brought up on the announcement of the reduction in dsl charges yesterday, with the presenter asking was it not just giving with one hand and taking with the other. McRedmond responded by saying that they couldnt have made the announcement yesterday because comreg hadnt acknowledged reciept of their application in time. Heh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Dangger

So from February 2003 we will have seen our line rental increase from €19.60 by close to €5 to €24.18 per month. I guess they have to get the other €500 milion of their investment out somehow! :rolleyes:

Sometime during the day this link will go live with the program. It was the top story of the business section, so itll most likely be under the main business news section with Doug Keatinge. Afaik theres a story in the IT about this aswell.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

If Comreg says yes this time I'll go up there myself and kick their asses.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by dahamsta
    If Comreg says yes this time I'll go up there myself and kick their asses.
    If ComReg don't say yes someone will have to kick me in the ass to wake me up when I faint away in surprise!

ComRegs position on this is that Eircom can set any prices they want. Increases do not have to be "cost justified".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

Unbelieveable :mad:

Puts their broadband "price cut" in perspective.
    I hate this f**kin' country :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭viking

Does this only apply to standard analogue telephone lines? Are ISDN lines included in this increase?

I know they weren't affected by the last increase but can someone confirm?

viking

I'm not kidding, I'll go up to their offices and cause an unmerciful stink altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭vinnyfitz

In this morning's interview I think McRedmond mentioned their "low use" package which made line rental costs very low for minimal users. This stumped Doug Keating - the journo. Stumped me too. What is this low use charge? Can we all have it if we are not using Eircom for calls or for internet?

• Advertisement

Mr Mc redmond in slimey fashion on morning Ireland mentioned all their proposed investment in broadband infrastructure as an excuse for this.

Why cant they go to the markets for the money?
    rather than rip off their captive customer.

Irish Times Article...
    Eircom to hike rental charges 8%
    Jamie Smyth, Technology Reporter

Consumers face a third successive increase in telephone line rental in a year, following a new application by Eircom to increase its fee.

The company has told the Commission for Communications Regulation (ComReg) that it plans to increase line rental charges by up to 8 per cent. It will also amend some call management services, although details of the changes are not yet available.

Full details of the list of proposed new telecommunications prices should be made available on Eircom's website later today.

The proposed new hike in line rental charges will enrage many residential consumers who have already seen line rental increase by €2.99 since February 2003.

Eircom's line rental charges for residential consumers are currently the highest in the European Union at €22.50. The proposed increase in line rental would push the monthly fee to €24.30, almost €10 higher than the EU average for line rental during 2003 of about €14.

A recent EU report published on the telecommunications market highlighted that Eircom's 2003 monthly line rental was about €9 more than Britain's fee and €9.50 more than France's fee.

Eircom would not comment on the price increase when contacted last night.

A ComReg spokesman confirmed it had received an application for an increase in line rental charges. He said the Commission would consider the application over the next few weeks.

But under the terms of the Telecommunications Scheme it is unlikely that ComReg can prevent Eircom from increasing line rental charges. Eircom is currently governed by a price cap that enables it to increase the cost of a basket of services by the rate of the consumer price index.

In recent years, Eircom has increased its line rental charges steeply while reducing call costs to comply with the price cap. This enables the company to compete strongly against other telecoms operators which cannot yet offer a valid line rental product.

A plan to enable other telecoms firms to offer line rental to consumers is currently almost a year behind schedule. Competing operators blame Eircom for the long delays. Eircom says it has already provided a viable wholesale service to its rivals.

© The Irish Times

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

This is a joke right? Can someone move it the Humour board please then :dunno:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭shinzon

STARES IN DISBELIEF

true what they say, they give it with one hand and take away with the other, well done for having comreg in your pocket Eircom, i expect this to pushed through with all available haste and expect nothing at all to be done with the infrastructure where this supposedly is going

EIRCON gotta love em, they really know how to screw wih people

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Shin

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

****en scum that are bloody eircom!
    This type of ****e pisses me off, they might as well not bother cutting the DSL price once they do this.

Hmm might phone Eircom and ask for a solid reason why there doing this, I know its a waste of time but atleast for today it'll make me feel better after the cust service person gives up and I end up talking to a super :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

I'm fcuking absolutely disgusted at this company.
    The best way to lodge your objections is to ring them up and tell them you're moving to another telco.
    Any one but Eircom.
    Obviously you still have to pay the greedy baxterds the line rental but they're probably increasing the charges because they're losing market share anyway.
    So make them lose more.

Originally posted by vinnyfitz
    In this morning's interview I think McRedmond mentioned their "low use" package which made line rental costs very low for minimal users. This stumped Doug Keating - the journo. Stumped me too. What is this low use charge? Can we all have it if we are not using Eircom for calls or for internet?
    Apparently not - it's not listed anywhere on the eircom website, and from the vague references to it that I have read, it's meant for those on "limited means", not for those who don't use the phone much.

Originally posted by shinzon
    [the infrastructure where this supposedly is going
    Who told you that? This is going to fund another €500 million "dividend" to the owners of Valentia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭vinnyfitz

Yeah I scoured the website too and could not find any reference.

I think IOFFL should formally object to this Comreg about this price increase or argue that users not buying voice or data services from the company should be allowed benefit from the discounted fee whatever it is.
    After all Eircom are exercising what is a classic monopoly power here.

Consumers buying voice, data, burglar alarm monitoring or Sky TV services have no option but to pay fees to Eircom even if they buy no eircom services at all. Of course monopolistic operators fees in such circumstances must be controlled by the State.

Edit
    OK the interview is up now access from the bottom of this page page

What Mc Redmond calls the low user scheme is actually a "Vulnerable User Scheme" announced by ComReg last year here

Strangely enough this scheme was proposed by Eircom to Comreg and just means you get a few cheap Eircom calls if you are "vulnerable" This is what it means ffective from 2nd June 2003. The scheme will have an initial subscription fee of €22.50 (incl. VAT) per month which
    will include line rental and local, national, fixed to mobile and international calls up
    to a value of €5.00 (incl. VAT). Once a customer exceeds the €5.00 worth of calls
    they will pay double the standard rate for calls up to €11 (incl. VAT) after which
    they will revert to standard call rates.

So if you don't buy any calls from Eircom at all are you eligible? Me thinks further about the value of new ESAT bundled scheme......

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Another line rental increase you say? Why oh why does that not surprise me?

I'll go to ComReg and cause an unmerciful stink of my own.. except mine will be founded in a can of curried beans and few jars of prunes.

• Advertisement

So if you don't buy any calls from Eircom at all are you eligible? Me thinks further about the value of new ESAT bundled scheme......

It doesn't apply if you have CPS on the phone line...

viking

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Eircom lost around €80.00 per month of my money a while ago when my company threw in Esat BT Anytime (business) for me at home as part of my renumeration package.
    I had been with Eircom.net (subscription).

Now they are going to lose my calls business too. I had been toying with of moving my business a while ago, but this line rental increase has made me determined to ensure that Eircom get as little of my money as possible.

Any recommendations?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

For the love of god! Right lads, get your torches and pitch forks. We're going up to the dail and demand they take back control of those lines. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Genghis

here

The scheme will have an initial subscription fee of €22.50 (incl. VAT) per month which
    will include line rental and local, national, fixed to mobile and international calls up
    to a value of €5.00 (incl. VAT). Once a customer exceeds the €5.00 worth of calls
    they will pay double the standard rate for calls up to €11 (incl. VAT) after which
    they will revert to standard call rates.

Doesn't specifically mention internet calls. I wonder?

I use the landline almost exclusively for the internet, secondly to receive calls, and perhaps once a week to make a voice call / once in ablue monn to call abroad. Consequently my bills tend to be 60-70% 'rental and charges', 30% Internet calls, and 5-10% voice calls.

I would be interested in this scheme if the internet calls did not eat in to the €5 credit, as the €5 would easily cover my phone calls per month.

Originally posted by vinnyfitz
    So if you don't buy any calls from Eircom at all are you eligible?
    Sure you're eligible - you're eligible for a "bundle" costing €22.50, which is actually more than you'd pay for just the line rental on its own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭MDR

Our response.

*** START ***

PRESS RELEASE : IRELAND OFFLINE 12/12/03

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

*** Ireland Offline condemns line rental price hike ***

Dublin, Tuesday, January 13: Ireland Offline refutes Eircom's assertion that
    line rental increases are being driven by population density.

Commenting on the announcement, Ireland Offline's chairman, Christian Cooke, said, "This is a cynical gesture from the incumbent, announcing a drop in broadband prices on one day and an increase in line rental charges the next. It is blatantly apparent to the Irish consumer that Eircom is not serious about offering value for money. Line rental is being increased in the face of Eircom paying its shareholders a EUR 472 million dividend, the third line rental increase in under a year making it by
    far the most expensive line rental in the EU."

"Eircom are being disingenuous in claiming lower population density as a reason for the high price for line rental in Ireland," said Mr. Cooke. Scandinavian countries have a fraction of the population density of Ireland and charge up to 8 euros less. References to the Vulnerable User Scheme, a service Eircom have to offer as part of their Universal Service Obligation, are also dubious as this was used to justify the last increase in line rental in 2003.

The majority of consumers will not have a choice in paying this increase due to the monopoly position held by the incumbent - yet another clear indication of the urgent necessity of promoting platform competition. Given affordable, open-access backhaul wireless operators would be in the position to provide an alternative to using the phone line for communication.

Ireland Offline believes that it is now important that the Managed Services Entity, the body responsible for the running of the MANs, should be nominated as soon as possible. "Only with affordable backhaul will it be possible for the community networks to be set up," said Mr. Cooke. The MSE should also, once established, look to acquiring unused fibre, such as the Western Digital Corridor, and make this available to community and commercial networks.

*** END ***

ABOUT IRELAND OFFLINE

The Ireland Offline Internet users group, formed in May 2001 in response to EsatBT's (then Esat Fusion's) decision to cut off 2,000 subscribers of its "SurfNoLimits" program, has campaigned for affordable flat rate and high-speed Internet access services for all of Ireland.
    For more information, please visit the IrelandOffline website at
    http://www.irelandoffline.org

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

first thing i heard today on the radio when i woke up was another increase on the line rental, now they will surely give me a clean line and remove the bastard splitters

oh wait, i woke up. ****ing Eircom :mad: :mad: :mad:

Good press release MDR.

Excellent MDR, I hope this gets some coverage.

adam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭MDR

I did all the cynical stuff,
    Chris sold all the cross-platform stuff ....

Advertisement