Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BeebRock - The BBC4/BBC3/BBC2/BBC1 Music Programmes thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,582 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I dunno lads. I think the early Beatles stuff is very twee.
    They didn't become remotely interesting until Help/Rubber Soul/ Revolver.

Booo!

I guess part of why it's so great is the fact that they stopped touring in what 66? So live (or close to live, such was the recording tech at the time) Beatles is pretty limited.

The Live at the BBC album is full of this sort of thing. Gonna get the new one this week.

Edit: didn't articulate my point that well...basically all this stuff makes me think of the Hamburg days. If i had one shot in a time machine, that's where I'd go.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Squeeze are a good band, very influenced by the Beatles.

I saw them at Oxegen one year, where I thought I was going to sink into the mud it was so wet. But they still put on a good show.

That's a good Twist and Shout right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

There used to be a nightclub called Jets at the back of the Airport and that was the ad the Pirate Stations used to use to promote it........

Few things put me in a good mood like Pauly singin Jet live.

• Advertisement

The audience remind me of the way the TOTP crowd used to be when the camera zoomed close up to them........all awkward and stiff.........:)

There used to be a nightclub called Jets at the back of the Airport and that was the ad the Pirate Stations used to use to promote it........

I'd go. :-)

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    I'd go. :-)

Long closed Donie!.........More's the pity, they would have played the slow sets unlike the madness of today!.......;)

Macca would have gone down a treat with this song.......

That's a good Twist and Shout right there.

Beverley Knight is a seriously good singer.

No disrespect to the other artists but hers was the only one whose performance you would want to listen to again.

Still hard to believe The Beatles recorded the whole album in one day, and when John wasn't well. It's a million miles from where they were a few years later, but the raw charm they had then is terrific.

They are really incredible songs!.........:)

• Advertisement

I've been to a lot of concerts, but the two times I saw Paul McCartney were the best ever. He plays great songs for nearly three hours, and the quality never lets up.

At the RDS a few years ago, lost of people left after the first encore ... and they missed Hey Jude. You could see some of them trying to get back in, but the stewards didn't let them in.

If you ever see Paul McCartney live, don't leave before it's over.

"Things we said today".........It really can't get much better!

Good setlist here for sure.

Things we said today. Was not expecting to hear that.

Wish he'd come over here again. I went last time, in the O2. Absolutely amazing.

Skid X wrote: »
    I've been to a lot of concerts, but the two times I saw Paul McCartney were the best ever. He plays great songs for nearly three hours, and the quality never lets up.

At the RDS a few years ago, lost of people left after the first encore ... and they missed Hey Jude. You could see some of them trying to get back in, but the stewards didn't let them in.

If you ever see Paul McCartney live, don't leave before it's over.

A big regret of mine was I never saw him Skid........

I did stand in the middle of the "Hollywood Bowl" thought for what's it's worth!....:D

I did stand in the middle of the "Hollywood Bowl" thought for what's it's worth!....:D

That's worth a lot!

Have the record of the lads there. All crackly and beautiful.

Hopefully he will be back soon ... he didn't play here for years, and then he played twice in seven months in 2009/10 (The O2 Dec '09, and the RDS in June '10)

The Hollywood Bowl sounds good, though :)

That's worth a lot!

Have the record of the lads there. All crackly and beautiful.

Donie, it was the first Bootleg tape I ever bought and I got it in the St. John's Precinct in Liverpool years ago!.....I was delighted with myself!!.......:D I'm pretty sure I still have it somewhere, I'm a terrible hoarder!

........"their production will be second to none"............

:):):)

Stop messing Paul.

Where's Dance Tonight!!

There are lots of Beatles Tribute Acts out there ...

I get annoyed when the tribute 'Paul' doesn't play left handed. It's critical to the Beatles 'look' that Paul and George can perform back to back :)

Band on the Run - top tune !

• Advertisement

Ops, impending slow set.........***grabs handbag runs to loo***

Wait, hears rift........

**flicks hair**..........:)

Skid X wrote: »

Band on the Run - top tune !

Dead right Skid. Wings get stick, alright, but they were still miles better than, well, most other bands. When they were good, they were really, really good.

I'm dancing around the room here!!..........:)

I used to work with a guy who got to go on a work junket to Moscow some years ago ...

He got to visit Lenin's tomb and while he was there he also got to see Paul McCartney play in Red Square ...

He never gone tired of telling everyone that he saw Lenin and McCartney in Moscow - I don't blame him, I would have done the same.

Try telling that to young one's today Skid!......

The USSR......"the wha??"

Dead right Skid. Wings get stick, alright, but they were still miles better than, well, most other bands. When they were good, they were really, really good.

+1

Anyone could do worse than listen to Wingspan - some classic tunes there.

And here's Hey Jude - you were right to stay until the end :)

My no.1 favourite song of all time. Beacause of the melody and John & George's harmonies.

Can't imagine anyone who would walk out on a concert let alone Macca??

na, na na, na na na nah !!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

What about the wimmen???

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement