Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BeebRock - The BBC4/BBC3/BBC2/BBC1 Music Programmes thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

Skid X wrote: »
    How many times do you think BBC Four have shown this programme?
    Jason Sinclair ‏@jlsinc 1m
    This is the SEVENTEENTH time BBC Four has shown this compilation. #bbc4

I wonder if the artists are getting royalties every time it gets shown?

I though everyone knew BBC 4 repeats it's content continuously.
    I though everyone knew BBC 4 repeats it's content continuously.

I can't believe i don't have anything by Kate Bush.
    Any suggestions to get into her stuff.

1. Listen to any Tori Amos album.

2. Just think to yourself 'this could be actually good if it was better is some way I can't think off myself '.

3.Listen to any Kate Bush Album.

BINGO!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

cml387 wrote: »
    I presume you all know of course that Kate's late mother Hannah is from Waterford?

I didn't know that, to be honest. Interesting.

Kate seems to be proud of of her roots, she reveals that information even before Gay Byrne can ask her the standard question about every guest's roots ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Get her live album....oh wait.

I presume you all know of course that Kate's late mother Hannah is from Waterford?

There had to be some Irish connection just never knew what it was. Finally I know, thanks !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 paul mc ardle

WHAT A BREATH OF FRESH AIR TO EXPERIENCE THE TRUE GENIUS AND TALENT OF THIS BEAUTIFUL POET AND MUSICIAN......THANK YOU BBC 3 .
    WHAT I WOULD'NT GIVE FOR A TICKET TO ONE OF HER CONCERTS...........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Get her live album....oh wait.

Hopefully with live concerts happening they're may be a dvd /cd available soon.

I found a 1979 BBC doc about Kate Bush on Youtube, I haven't watched it yet but it might be interesting as a comparison to the show which was broadcast on Friday night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,260 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Great Dusty Springfield documentary - one of the greats.

The Kate Bush documentary is on again at midnight :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,532 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Yes, a Top Of The Pops live version with an indifferent backing track. Best stick with the youtube versions.
    There are two, the Red dress and White dress.
    Personally I prefer the outdoor red dress one. They had a tracking camera(!) and it showed a bit of money was spent.

Finally got around to watching the KB documentary - and very interesting it was too.

Fired up the WH youtube vids on the back of this post - and first thing I see is a bloody GAA ad :eek: So not what I was expecting!

• Advertisement

Great Dusty Springfield documentary - one of the greats.

The Kate Bush documentary is on again at midnight :)

Yeah, I enjoyed both of them. I learnt from the Guth programme on TG4 that Dusty's ashes were scattered at the Cliffs of Moher, at O'Brien's Tower. It was a fitting place for the great Mary Isobel Catherine Bernadette O'Brien to be remembered.

http://www.cpinternet.com/~mbayly/article34.htm

BBC Radio 2 had their big three hour countdown of the greatest guitar riffs of all time today.

You can listen back for the next week

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04f7xn6

And there's the result of the poll ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/chart/guitar-riffs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,674 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Wow, nice one. Obviously I wouldn't agree entirely (as is always the case with these things) but that is a really good list. Would love a tv countdown of it on BBC4!

I would probably agree with number one, which makes me very happy.

Maybe wouldn't agree with number 100, though!

For those interested, The Guardian have a live blog of the Kate Bush gig on their website.

:)

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Wow, nice one. Obviously I wouldn't agree entirely (as is always the case with these things) but that is a really good list. Would love a tv countdown of it on BBC4!

I would probably agree with number one, which makes me very happy.

Maybe wouldn't agree with number 100, though!

The Smiths at number six?!?! :eek: :eek:

And Black Sabbath only make it to 26?!?! What fresh hell is this?! :eek:

Hello! there is a fair bit of musical programming on this weekend including four hours of Electric Picnic action on Saturday on RTE2, the first time it has been show live. It's a shame they don't have the cameras there all weekend but it's better than nothing. Hard to know what they will be showing but it might worth a look. Or a tape.

TG4 Thursday

10.15pm - Guth: Oasis
    The family history of Noel and Liam Gallagher, who were born and raised in Manchester to Irish parents Peggy Sweeney and Tommy Gallagher. Originally from Charlestown in Co Mayo, Peggy left Ireland in the early 1960s and travelled to the north-west of England where she met and married Tommy from Duleek in Co Meath

BBC4 Friday

9pm & 12.15am - Blondie's New York and the Making of Parallel Lines
    The story behind the rock band's third album Parallel Lines - a record that is said to capture the spirit of 1970s New York at a time of poverty, crime and artistic endeavour. The seven individuals who wrote, produced and performed its songs discuss their aim to create a game-changing album full of sure-fire hits. Including commentary from lead singer Debbie Harry who talks about writing music, the media's focus on her appearance and the lyrical content inspired by ex-boyfriends

9.50pm & 1.05am - Blondie @ Glastonbury
    Coverage from the Other Stage of the Debbie Harry-fronted American rock band, who were sure to attract a sizeable crowd with their selection of classics such as Heart of Glass and Atomic, as well as tracks from last year's Ghosts of Download. Introduced by Mark Radcliffe

10.45pm & 2am - Synth Britannia
    An examination of the musical backdrop of the 1980s when synthpop was all the rage, having been popularised by bands including Depeche Mode, Ultravox and Soft Cell. The documentary also studies how this genre influenced the future of electronic music and groups such as Pet Shop Boys and New Order. Featuring interviews with Bernard Sumner, Gary Numan and Neil Tennant

BBC2 Friday

11.05pm - Reading Festival Highlights
    A look back at last weekend's festival held at Little John's Farm on Richfield Avenue, including performances by main stage headliners Queens of the Stone Age, Arctic Monkeys and Blink-182, as well as Royal Blood, Paramore, Bombay Bicycle Club and many more

RTE2 Saturday

8pm - Midnight: Electric Picnic 2014
    Coverage from the Irish music festival held at the Stradbally Estate in Co. Laois. Presented by Eoghan McDermott and RTÉ 2fm's Jenny Greene with performances from the main stage and interviews with artists. Plus, Al Porter and Blathnaid Treacy report from the picnic area on the event's latest news

BBC2 Saturday

11pm - TOTP2
    Mark Radcliffe introduces a selection of archive performances, including Wham!, Supertramp, the Jacksons, ELO, Hot Chocolate, the Lightning Seeds with Baddiel & Skinner and Emeli Sande, as well as a video by Gemma Ray

BBC4 Sunday

9.10pm & 2.45am - Imagine: Tom Jones - What Good Am I?
    Alan Yentob meets the singer and coach on The Voice UK, who has sold more than 100 million albums, hosted a successful TV variety show and headlined at some of the biggest venues in Las Vegas. Includes contributions by fellow musicians Jools Holland, Sandie Shaw, Robbie Williams, Cerys Matthews and Kelly Jones. First shown in 2010

If RTE2 had been in Stradbally on Sunday they might have caught some Simple Minds, but you could watch The Breakfast Club (ITV3 Sunday 11.05pm) instead to hear this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭OldRio

I'm that old I remember when BBC4 on a Friday night was a 'must see'. Now it's just a 'have seen'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

OldRio wrote: »
    I'm that old I remember when BBC4 on a Friday night was a 'must see'. Now it's just a 'have seen'

The Blondie doc is new.

Hello! there is a fair bit of musical programming on this weekend including four hours of Electric Picnic action on Saturday on RTE2, the first time it has been show live. It's a shame they don't have the cameras there all weekend but it's better than nothing. Hard to know what they will be showing but it might worth a look. Or a tape.

Have they not have live coverage in the past or was it always edited? I remember (2006?) Dave Fanning asking a slightly peeved Gary Numan if he was going to give the people "what they wanted or would he be playing new stuff." Cringe.

evilivor wrote: »
    Have they not have live coverage in the past or was it always edited? I remember (2006?) Dave Fanning asking a slightly peeved Gary Numan if he was going to give the people "what they wanted or would he be playing new stuff." Cringe.

Some websites reported that this was the first time there will be live coverage, but maybe there was some live transmissions in the past

http://www.joe.ie/entertainment/music/could-rte-be-showing-electric-picnic-on-tv-for-the-first-time/

There were definitely cameras there in the past, there are a few documentaries like this one on Youtube

I like that Dave Fanning question, it's what people want to know (although he could have worded it a lot better)

• Advertisement

As long as RTE show some Portishead, I'll be a happy (not at Electric Picnic) camper.

I like that Dave Fanning question, it's what people want to know (although he could have worded it a lot better)

It was very funny - Dave realised what he'd said the minute it was out of his mouth - Numan recovered well though and said something like "my fans are always glad to hear my new material".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

BBC4 Friday[/U]

9pm & 12.15am - Blondie's New York and the Making of Parallel Lines
    The story behind the rock band's third album Parallel Lines - a record that is said to capture the spirit of 1970s New York at a time of poverty, crime and artistic endeavour. The seven individuals who wrote, produced and performed its songs discuss their aim to create a game-changing album full of sure-fire hits. Including commentary from lead singer Debbie Harry who talks about writing music, the media's focus on her appearance and the lyrical content inspired by ex-boyfriends

Enjoyable spin through a classic album, but 20m copies sold? No way Jose.

Kommen sie bitte und listen to Kraftwerk

Last night's 'Synth Brittania' documentary is well worth a watch.

*digs out Casio SK-1 sampler keyboard*

:cool:

Last night's 'Synth Brittania' documentary is well worth a watch.

*digs out Casio SK-1 sampler keyboard*

:cool:

I must check that one out ... I see it's on Youtube - someone made a playlist of some of the BBC music documentaries. It's not extensive but it's not bad. And when you are watching one Doc, Youtube often recommends something decent in the sidebar

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCEDB8403F2455789

I must check that one out ... I see it's on Youtube - someone made a playlist of some of the BBC music documentaries. It's not extensive but it's not bad. And when you are watching one Doc, Youtube often recommends something decent in the sidebar

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCEDB8403F2455789

*cough*

And we'll quietly gloss over the brief appearance by Jimmy Savile :O

Excellent Tom Jones documentary just started on BBC Four.

The 'boyo' done good :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

For some strange reason Radio Nova are playing a birthday tribute tonight to this legend but Sept 6th is his birthday!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Waters

Either way, as I just completed moving from West to East......

I was listening to this just now!......

Perfect for this time of night!!.......:):):)xxx Sweet dreams!

Safe home Electric Boardies!! x

• Advertisement

TG4 Thursday

10.15pm - Guth: The Beatles
    A look at how members of the Beatles' awareness of their Irish roots saw them take a keen interest in the land of their ancestors, in a show marking 50 years since the influential group's first performance in Dublin. Last in the series

BBC4 Friday

9.15pm & 1.35am - Fleetwood Mac: Don't Stop
    Documentary looking back over the band's long career, from the early blues outfit led by Peter Green in the late 1960s, to their reincarnation in the 1970s with the line-up that went on to record the 40-million-selling album Rumours. Mick Fleetwood, John McVie, Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks reveal the truth behind the successes, failures and relationships that have characterised their music and made them one of the most enduring acts in popular music

10.15pm - Friday Night at the Proms: Late Night Live with Paloma Faith and Guy Barker
    The Royal Albert Hall plays host to Paloma Faith, who makes her Proms debut joining the conductor and composer Guy Barker, his jazz orchestra and the Urban Voices Collective for a one-off concert. Featuring new arrangements of the pop star's songs, including Picking Up the Pieces, Can't Rely on You, Only Love Can Hurt Like This and Upside Down

11.40pm - Imagine:Tom Jones - What Good Am I?
    Alan Yentob meets the singer and coach on The Voice UK, who has sold more than 100 million albums, hosted a successful TV variety show and headlined at some of the biggest venues in Las Vegas. Includes contributions by fellow musicians Jools Holland, Sandie Shaw, Robbie Williams, Cerys Matthews and Kelly Jones. First shown in 2010

12.40am - Classic Albums: Damn The Torpedoes (Tom Petty and The HeartBreakers)
    The making of Damn the Torpedoes by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, which was released in 1979 and went on to occupy the number two spot in America for seven weeks. The programme examines how Tom Petty, Mike Campbell, Benmont Tench, Ron Blair and Stan Lynch created their third album alongside co-producer Jimmy Iovine and engineer Shelly Yakus in near secrecy while fighting their record company for creative independence

2.35am - Blues at the BBC
    Archive footage of blues performances from the past 50 years. Featuring famous songs by Son House, the Kinks, BB King, John Lee Hooker and Eric Clapton, plus lesser-known tracks by Freddie King, Delaney & Bonnie and Long John Baldry that were originally recorded for shows including The Beat Room, The Old Grey Whistle Test and The Late Show

Saturday BBC2

11.35pm TOTP2
    Mark Radcliffe introduces more clips from the BBC archive, including tracks by Dexys Midnight Runners, the Shamen, Engelbert Humperdinck, Example, Oasis, Evelyn `Champagne' King and bluegrass duo the Civil Wars

Saturday BBC4

10.35pm You've Got a Friend: The Carole King Story
    The award-winning US singer gives an account of her life, looking back on her upbringing in Brooklyn, and the subsequent success she enjoyed as part of husband-and-wife songwriting team Goffin and King in the 1960s, including the creation of global hits Take Good Care of My Baby, The Locomotion and Will You Love Me Tomorrow. By 1970, Carole was divorced and had moved to Los Angeles, where she created her classic solo album Tapestry. Now in her seventies, she reveals herself to be as much an environmental activist as a musician, lobbying Congress in defence of the wildlife and eco-systems in her beloved Idaho

12.30am - The Joy of Easy Listening
    Documentary charting the history of the genre, from its emergence in the 1950s to its heyday in the 60s, through its survival in the subsequent two decades and revival in the 90s. The programme explores the people behind the songs and the mark they have left on modern life. Featuring interviews with Engelbert Humperdinck, Richard Carpenter and Jimmy Webb

Sunday BBC4

1.55am Thin Lizzy - Bad Reputation
    A profile of the Irish rock band, including archive footage, interviews with Eric Bell, Brian Downie and the group's first manager. Formed in Dublin in 1969, the group hit a creative and commercial peak in the late 1970s with a line-up including frontman Phil Lynott and guitarists Brian Robertson and Scott Gorham, but drugs and alcohol took their toll on the band. Narrated by Philip Glenister

Sunday RTE1

9.30pm - The Imelda May Show
    New series. The singer-songwriter celebrates Ireland's love of music with chat and performances by musicians and new acts from Ireland and around the world, filmed in front of a live studio audience

That's about it. The Tom Jones doc getting a repeat a week after it was last repeated, there. Ah well, hopefully they will have some new programmes soon

The Boat that Rocked is on tomorrow (ITV, 11pm) which has a decent soundtrack

While I'm here, Ken Bruce on BBC Radio 2 has been doing his excellent PopMaster quiz for years (weekdays at about 10.30am on the radio). You can play the online game here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/shows/ken-bruce/popmaster/

Larry Gogan should be doing that on RTE Gold or 2 FM, get on it RTE!

Excellent Tom Jones documentary just started on BBC Four.

The 'boyo' done good :cool:

I missed it last week, but I watched it tonight. Thank goodness for repeats :D

Really enjoyed it. Tom seems like a decent skin. If he wasn't making a living from music he would be down his local entertaining anyone lucky enough to hear him.

Better singer than he gets credit for, too.

Hey Skid, how are things?? :)

Hey Skid, how are things?? :)

Ahoy, hoy!

All good a chara. Watching a bit of Tom Petty now. Nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,532 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Crap, I forgot for a second time that the Tom Jones programme was on :mad:

If anyone sees a second repeat will you let me know?

Looked like a good enough schedule this weekend, sadly I can't watch any of it.

(this thread is a godsend btw - usually!)

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Crap, I forgot for a second time that the Tom Jones programme was on :mad:

If anyone sees a second repeat will you let me know?

Ah that's a pity, Heidi. It doesn't seem to on again in the near future. I stuck it in my list of picks on www.locatetv.com so if I see it coming around again I'll drop you a PM.

• Advertisement

I missed it last week, but I watched it tonight. Thank goodness for repeats :D

Really enjoyed it. Tom seems like a decent skin. If he wasn't making a living from music he would be down his local entertaining anyone lucky enough to hear him.

Better singer than he gets credit for, too.

Humble.
    No ego.
    Aware of how blessed he his being given such a voice.

Tom makes yer proud to be Welsh.

Mmf. Something in. my. eye.

Humble.
    No ego.
    Aware of how blessed he his being given such a voice.

Tom makes yer proud to be Welsh.

Mmf. Something in. my. eye.

Ah, sure, that's not unusual is it WM??........:P xxx

Ah, sure, that's not unusual is it WM??........:P xxx

:D On the ball there, gsw!

I wish BBC4 or Sky or someone else would buy the rights to 'This is Tom Jones' from whoever owns ATV's back catologue, and show a few 'Best of' compilations on Friday Nights at 11.30pm.

Or make a new series of it, it looks like it was great fun.

Engelbert

Mmm...nice.

• Advertisement

The Drifters wearing lime green suits and yellow dickie bows.

I'm not sure if there was a bet going on there. The song is decent enough.

This is more like it! :D

One of Bon's last ever performances RIP

TOTP2 is much more fun than Top of The Pops 1979 IMO

BBC4 should give the full TOTPs a rest and get Mark Radcliffe or someone similar to do a new compilation of TOTPs.

That Saturday Night dance move was waaaay too complicated for me, back in the day.

I prefer the traditional 'leaping about, punching the air'style dancing, it works for any song worth dancing for!

That WAS a coy look from Mr. Dwight! :D

Noel's Gretsch guitar!

Want!

They should have shown this one, from the same album

Noel doing his best Liam impression :D

Getting back to Tom Jones for a minute - is this the Welshiest cast of all time?

Under Milk Wood - with Tom Jones, Michael Sheen, Charlotte Church, Gareth Thomas, Rhys Ifans, Neil Kinnock, Matthew Rhys, Ioan Gruffudd, Siân Phillips, Jonathan Pryce, Bryn Terfel, Kathrine Jenkins etc etc!

Getting back to Tom Jones for a minute - is this the Welshiest cast of all time?

Under Milk Wood - with Tom Jones, Michael Sheen, Charlotte Church, Gareth Thomas, Rhys Ifans, Neil Kinnock, Matthew Rhys, Ioan Gruffudd, Siân Phillips, Jonathan Pryce, Bryn Terfel, Kathrine Jenkins etc etc!

None more Welsh!

I was unavailable...I was committed to Coronation Street :D

RTE's website TEN (The Entertainment Network) reckons a paperback release of a book about Pan's People is a newsworthy event.

Who am I to disagree?

http://www.rte.ie/ten/news/2014/0902/640879-book-on-top-of-the-pops-dancers-pans-people-out/

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement