Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

The pattern is starting to become a bit more clear with Rory. He seems to want to keep the core of the team pretty settled and is prepared to give a couple of lads (McElhinney, McGinley, Doherty, O'Reilly, McFadden) every chance of forcing their way into the summer reckoning during the league campaign but he's not prepared to shake things up too much. In fairness I think it's the smart move as the bulk of the squad from last year is still very young so there was no need to make drastic changes. Hopefully one of the new lads can make a bit more of an impression this weekend as apart from McElhinney, the others haven't really made much of an impression so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,258 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Hmm

Neil McGee has been injured (replaced by E Doherty)
    Anthony Thompson has been unavailable (replaced by C McGinley for half of one game)
    Leo is unavailable (O'Reilly seems to have taken his place)
    Colm McFadden has been injured (McFadden has taken his place I guess)

Under McGuinness, if we were down two defenders, Declan Walsh and Luke Keaney probably would have been next up. Keaney is unavailable (travelling?), I dunno what the story with Declan Walsh is - if he's not injured it's odd.

I would be surprised if we don't see Neil McGee starting on Sunday, unless he's had a setback or something.

If Thompson comes back, I wouldn't be surprised to see Mark McHugh take O'Reilly's place at half forward. The wild card is the 15 jersey, I have no real sense of who will end up there or even if it will the same guy all the time.

McElhinney played in every championship game under McGuinness as far as I know.

So I guess what I am saying is that Rory is playing new faces out of necessity more so than anything else?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    I would be surprised if we don't see Neil McGee starting on Sunday, unless he's had a setback or something.
    Good call RSF. Good to see him back.
    So I guess what I am saying is that Rory is playing new faces out of necessity more so than anything else?
    I wouldn't fully agree there. I do think he is being cautious in not disrupting the team (which as I said is the smart move) but I do think he is giving a few lads a chance to prove themselves as he wants a good look at them. Even if we had everyone available I think he would still mix one or two of the new lads in each starting 15 (he left Doherty in yesterday and it was Eamon McGee who made way for Neil).
    Good to see O'Reilly have such a big game yesterday. Unfortunately McFadden (Hugh, not Colm!) doesn't seem to be ready just yet. I would have to agree with Tomas O'Se on the programme last night - Murphy will need to watch his closed fist tackling this year as it's something I think referees are watching more closely now.
    One thing I've noticed so far in the league campaign this year is the intensity levels, in terms of tackling and defending, seems to be higher than usual for the league. Maybe it's just until teams feel they are safe from relegation and we might see those teams switch focus to the championship once they are safe but it certainly seems to be taken more seriously than usual. The games between Kerry/Dublin and Mayo/Monaghan yesterday especially seemed to have a bit more of an edge to them than normal for this time of year. One more win for us and we can then concentrate on Tyrone.

A good win in a cold and windy Ballyshannon yesterday.

Cork played with a strong wind in the first half but were very conservative/defensive (before anyone has a go at me, I am not criticising them, just letting people know how they set up). Maybe they were trying to put in place a system for later in the year, maybe they know well that such a set up would yield dividends against Donegal, it's hard to know. Cuthbert himself admitted that Colm O'Neill only touched the ball once (aside from frees) in the first half - shocking that such a dangerous forward was not used more often, although I guess he was being marked by Neil McGee. They were happy to sit back and hit us on the break. We showed good enough patience in the first half, but we were still wasteful and I don't think that the conditions or the opposition can take all the credit for that.

Second half we were much more aggressive and were well on top when Michael picked up his second yellow. I have no real issue with it but it was no worse than the Donaghy tackle they showed on League Sunday where he escaped a second yellow. Consistency etc. He should have known to watch himself given he was already on a yellow. Even after the sending off we should have been out of sight. Colm McFadden was wasteful with two chances of his own and then Ryan McHugh set him up when he really should have shot himself.

I was disappointed with our defence in the second half - Cork were allowed too many second chances from poorly hit shots. But, we also showed good intensity when they tried running at us. With five minutes to go, I would have settled for a point as I was worried we were going to throw it away. Very happy to get the win in the circumstances.

Marty O'Reilly did very well and should really have had 1-3 rather than 0-4, but four points from play for the wee man is very impressive. I thought he was a bit lost in Croke Park the last night, so happy to see him have an impact yesterday.

Frank McGlynn was probably my man of the match. Big Neil and Christy also put in good shifts. Good to see Tony Thompson back in action.

Hugh McFadden's tackling is crap and he gets booked too often and will continue to do so. People around me seemed to think he lacks puff, maybe the training is affecting him. Hopefully he shows improvement, he's been ok but not good enough for the summer at this stage. Eamon Doherty was just ok, I would need to watch the game again to make up my mind, but I don't think he did enough to keep his place when everyone is available.

Has Paddy McGrath shrunk????

Joe McQ pissed everyone off. Thought Cork were pretty cute with when and where they fouled.

Our accuracy and shot execution continues to worry me. Less than 50% again which is miles away from our usual efficiency when we are going well. People will blame the wind, but I don't think that tells the full story.

Tl;dr; Donegal good enough, Cork very limited.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭wackokid

A good win in a cold and windy Ballyshannon yesterday.

Cork played with a strong wind in the first half but were very conservative/defensive (before anyone has a go at me, I am not criticising them, just letting people know how they set up). Maybe they were trying to put in place a system for later in the year, maybe they know well that such a set up would yield dividends against Donegal, it's hard to know. Cuthbert himself admitted that Colm O'Neill only touched the ball once (aside from frees) in the first half - shocking that such a dangerous forward was not used more often, although I guess he was being marked by Neil McGee. They were happy to sit back and hit us on the break. We showed good enough patience in the first half, but we were still wasteful and I don't think that the conditions or the opposition can take all the credit for that.

Second half we were much more aggressive and were well on top when Michael picked up his second yellow. I have no real issue with it but it was no worse than the Donaghy tackle they showed on League Sunday where he escaped a second yellow. Consistency etc. He should have known to watch himself given he was already on a yellow. Even after the sending off we should have been out of sight. Colm McFadden was wasteful with two chances of his own and then Ryan McHugh set him up when he really should have shot himself.

I was disappointed with our defence in the second half - Cork were allowed too many second chances from poorly hit shots. But, we also showed good intensity when they tried running at us. With five minutes to go, I would have settled for a point as I was worried we were going to throw it away. Very happy to get the win in the circumstances.

Marty O'Reilly did very well and should really have had 1-3 rather than 0-4, but four points from play for the wee man is very impressive. I thought he was a bit lost in Croke Park the last night, so happy to see him have an impact yesterday.

Frank McGlynn was probably my man of the match. Big Neil and Christy also put in good shifts. Good to see Tony Thompson back in action.

Hugh McFadden's tackling is crap and he gets booked too often and will continue to do so. People around me seemed to think he lacks puff, maybe the training is affecting him. Hopefully he shows improvement, he's been ok but not good enough for the summer at this stage. Eamon Doherty was just ok, I would need to watch the game again to make up my mind, but I don't think he did enough to keep his place when everyone is available.

Has Paddy McGrath shrunk????

Joe McQ pissed everyone off. Thought Cork were pretty cute with when and where they fouled.

Our accuracy and shot execution continues to worry me. Less than 50% again which is miles away from our usual efficiency when we are going well. People will blame the wind, but I don't think that tells the full story.

Tl;dr; Donegal good enough, Cork very limited.
    Good enough analysis apart from the ref McQuillan. He gave youz at least three easy frees for unmissable points in the 2nd half. Jamie Sullivans pick up off the ground was a joke. Ref was 40 yards away, no pressure on Sullivan, he's a senior intercounty footballer FFS and at this stage knows how to pick up the frigging ball. Christy Toy got another free a few minutes after when he clearly barged into Tom Clancy with his feet off the ground. Thats only two that come to mind but there was a few more.
    Having said all that, Donegal were the better team and should have won by 6 or 7. O Reilly is a great find but Murphy needs to rein back that power a bit or he will cost ye.
    I'll never forgive ye for losing last year's title. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Decent enough game though last 15 mins of first half were atrocious and I know conditions may have played their part.
    Overall delighted to have 2 more points in the bag. Good performances from Marty Reilly, big Neil, Ryan McHugh. Mc Brearty took the last score well but didn't show enough for the ball for my liking.
    During the first half i counted at least 6 occasions when ball was worked up to up to Cork 45 m line and the man on the ball turned and played it back. No movement from either Murphy or McBrearty. There was clearly 15 m of space between the cork fullback line and their halfback line. The one time that the ball was let in early Murphy won a free. I know kick passing isn't our strong point but I cannot under stand why more more efforts/risks are not been taken.

Colm McFadden - even tho it was on his left it was a shocking effort and Cork's goal came from it. The move between Colm and Ryan McHugh was a bad miss.

Murphy cannot tackle and his sending off could have cost us the game. Although I can understand his frustration at having to drop back and defend a lot of the the time. His two long distant frees were brilliant.

Hugh McFadden looked lost and was caught rushing out at cork attackers who easily side stepped him. In fact this is one part of the game we must improve on - not rushing out straight at an incoming attacker. We were guilty of this against Dublin and DErry.

Cannot wait for Monaghan game. Is Murphy available?

Cannot wait for Monaghan game. Is Murphy available?

Yes he is.

Another black card or another two yellows in the same match will mean a one game ban.

Monaghan will be without a few players through suspension and Conor McManus missed the game yesterday through injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Cheers for the reports, lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 pardus

Always believed the heartland of Gaa in Donegal to be the south west of the county. Recently a native informed me that some areas in the south west are surprisingly soccer strongholds. Will someone shed some light on this please.

Swings and roundabouts as to where strongholds are.

Plenty of soccer played all over the County. I would say Inishowen is where soccer has more of an impact on GAA than elsewhere at the moment anyway.

• Advertisement

pardus wrote: »
    Always believed the heartland of Gaa in Donegal to be the south west of the county. Recently a native informed me that some areas in the south west are surprisingly soccer strongholds. Will someone shed some light on this please.

There's a big soccer tradition in Donegal. RSF has rightly mentioned inishowen. Gweedore is big at it too, as is the rosses/dungloe.

Going further south, killybegs have st Catherine's who are prominent. And then there is a vibrant soccer scene around Donegal Town down including ballintra/laghey as far as ballyshannon.

The South West is still predominantly GAA for me. The soccer does well and they co exist together but There's more of a pull to the GAA.

The areas not as strong at senior level as it was mind you. That much is obvious. Totally dominated for almost 30 years but the winds of change have shifted to the far side of the gap.

Not to mention Letterkenny, the East of the County and Fanad!

Team named to face Monaghan

1 Durcan
    2 Mc Grath
    3 N McGee
    4 Doherty
    5 McGlynn
    6 Lacey
    7 Ryan McHugh
    8 Gallagher
    9 Toye
    10 O'Reilly
    11 MacNiallais
    12 Mark McHugh
    13 McBrearty
    14 Murphy
    15 Hugh McFadden

It would be a 'while lift' as they say if we could beat these on Sunday.

Make life for much easier for ourselves coming into the arse end of the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

Woeful. Absolutely woeful. The only positive for me was that it didn't rain.

How was the gravel underfoot?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Woeful. Absolutely woeful. The only positive for me was that it didn't rain.

Donegal 1-4 Monaghan 0-9

Understatement. I have never witnessed a more abject game of football with two teams who each at different stages placed 15 men behind the ball. Everything Donegal did was clueless. Albeit they were against a blanket defence. They scored one point between the 12 minute and the end of the first half (0-4 each at half time). One score in the second half, the goal. Everything was one pass forward and then 10 passes back and sideways. The negativity was unbelievable. Christy Toye, who was substituted at half time, didn't give one pass forward in the first half, everything was backwards. Ireland rugby team play more forward passes and kick longer.

Monaghan on the other hand were more clinical in their defensive breaks. They looked physically stronger and didn't dive in at Donegal players. Too many Donegal players dive in and get bypassed. No challenges by Donegal players until close in and then gifting Monaghan scorable frees. They got what they came for and Donegal offered nothing.

The wind was a factor. But Donegal had the benefit of it in the second half and still insisted on nearly every kick out going short. With one of the best midfielders in Ireland, Neil Gallagher. Unbelievable.
    Last week some people gave McBrearty man of the match. Not today. He only runs when he has the ball. There was no inside line rotation or movement. Its as if the inside men (when they are inside and not in their own defense) never expect a pass. So they stop running into space. One middling hoof into Murphy resulted in a fisted goal. The players looked leggy, scared to make an error ( and boy did they make plenty!) and were not prepared to have a go at home.
    And then the decisive move by management. On comes Colm McFadden. Never a great man to win a 50:50 ball he now loses 70:30 contests and has no conviction in his kicking.
    Ref was brutal and was inconsistent but then again the two teams didn't help with the style of football. There must have been nine or ten thousand at the match. If this kind of anti-football is repeated there won't be many going back.

How was the gravel underfoot?

A pain in the hole to stand on, as usual.

Well that was complete pish.

babybulider's match report is pretty much spot on, the only thing I will disagree with is the attendance, it was a crowd of around 5,000 (my estimate and the meeja reported same). I doubt even 5 people would pay in to see a re run of that ****e.

Ok, so as ever, it's only the league etc. But the warning signs were there against Dublin and Cork. But our football today was even worse than in those two games - a combination of slow and aimless build up play and poor shooting.

What can explain the lethargic display on one of our home pitches? The usual excuses will be trotted out I'm sure. "They are being dogged in training" and "we don't want to be showing our hand at this stage". Neither of those are sufficient to explain one score from play in seventy minutes.

Monaghan were down two suspended players from the word go and lost arguably their best player to a black card. And yet, they were full value for their win, even if we dominated possession and territory in the first half. As the game wore on, the outcome became pretty obvious. We needed Murphy's goal just to keep us in the game.

Not going to bother singling out any players for praise or criticism. It was bad all round and nobody really stood up when the game was in the balance. Our shooting from dead balls was poor.

We're now back in the twilight zone as regards Division One. You'd have to assume Derry are screwed, and Monaghan still have to play them. I don't expect us to win in Tralee or Castlebar (our away record in Division One is awful going back several years now). If we really don't want to 'show our hand', I don't know how we will approach our game with Tyrone in Ballybofey. Both teams will probably need to win it to be sure of staying up. I'd fancy Tyrone to beat Cork next weekend in Omagh.

Tl;dr? Woeful Donegal lose crap game.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭bob skunkhouse

Terrible, terrible game to watch. I read Brolly's article in the Sindo last night and he was writing about teams having 12/13 men behind the ball. Well, yesterday I witnessed the whole 15 of Donegal's team back defending on multiple times. Not even Monaghan resorted to that - and they are noted for the mass defence. If this is what Gallagher is going to bring, I'd sooner have the local U12 manager take over. I'd many an argument the length and breadth of the country down through the years defending the 'blanket defence' but yesterday was indefensible. Not to make light of someone's misfortune, but the spectator who was stretchered out during the second half had a lucky escape in not having to watch the full game of this!

Reading Gallagher's comments in the NP's and him talking about the team been "too lateral and conservative" - well...I'm sorry Rory but is this not the way they're are coached? They persisted with the short passing into the wind in the first half but then continued with it in the second half. Like FFS, how long did it take you to see that that approach wasn't working? The only score from the game came from a direct long ball into the edge of the square. When this reaped a goal, why did they not try it a few more times? Nobody has to be an expert to figure this out. Where the puck was plan B?

Regarding your point about McFadden. While a great servant to the team down through the years, every dog has it's day and his was 2 years ago. His benefit to the team yesterday was zero. If Gallagher continues to show faith in him,then it's to the detriment of the team as a whole. Another thing, giving the ball 3-4 metres in front of Murphy isn't working. While he has the bulk to defend himself and ball when in possession, he doesn't have the pace to reach a ball that's kicked in front of him. Too many times yesterday the defender made it to the ball ahead of him. Another point, Mark McHugh was blown up for over carrying the ball when the nearest Monaghan player was 15 metres away. I mean, like c'on. This is a basic basic error. Maybe the point about the team looking tired and jaded isn't so absurd, but should they be feeling like this in the first week of March? I'm just thinking...I wonder is there a JMG hangover about the team. A new manager is meant to revitalise and invigour a team but I dont see this happening with this team. There were two instances in the game which got to me thinking. The first was Toye's shot from about 40m out that went gloriously wide. The ball went over and back, over and back about 20 times before he took the shot - which in my opinion was born more of frustration than any serious thought of sticking it over the bar. It wasn't even a shot to nothing! The second point, soon after that incident, again after repeated lateral movement, Neil Gallagher gave a pass into Murphy (I think - possibly Paddy Mc), anyway, Monaghan won the ball and started a counter attack. Well...Gallagher went nuts with the inside forwards, arms flailing - the lot - asking where the runners where. He was 100% right, nobody was making any moves at all at all...I'm thinking to myself...is there any disharmony creeping through the team. I'm sure the players themselves don't want to be playing this standard of crap football either.

Last October, with only Kavanagh the serious retiree from the panel, I felt confident of Donegal making another AI semi final at least. After yesterday's game, I'm not so confident now.

One final comment, I went in to the Derry/Kerry a few weeks back and the one noticeable thing I took away from that game was that once he Kerry forwards got to within the score zone, nearly everyone of them managed to stick the ball over the bar, and this was despite them having 3 Derry men hanging off them. The Donegal forwards seem incapable of doing this either through lack of ability,or lack of confidence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Good to get the reports
    Regarding your point about McFadden. While a great servant to the team down through the years, every dog has it's day and his was 2 years ago. His benefit to the team yesterday was zero. If Gallagher continues to show faith in him,then it's to the detriment of the team as a whole.

Of any intercounty player he looks the one who has regressed the most in the last 2 years - doesn't look anything remotely like the same player.The thing is that for an older player once your form drops, it very rarely comes back.
    One final comment, I went in to the Derry/Kerry a few weeks back and the one noticeable thing I took away from that game was that once he Kerry forwards got to within the score zone, nearly everyone of them managed to stick the ball over the bar, and this was despite them having 3 Derry men hanging off them. The Donegal forwards seem incapable of doing this either through lack of ability,or lack of confidence.

If you want a positive Kerry were well capable of hitting a serious number of wides under very little Cork pressure in yesterday's performance and if our defense plays the same way as well your forwards will surely have it a lot easier than they had against Monaghan.

Next weekend's game should be interesting anyway. I'd imagine that the number travelling down is likely to be fairly small given the distance and yesterday's performance.

Boom__Boom wrote: »

Next weekend's game should be interesting anyway. I'd imagine that the number travelling down is likely to be fairly small given the distance and yesterday's performance.

Don't underestimate the importance of distance to get away from herself for a night or two.

I know plenty going for some refuge!

Here, getting away from the football for a moment. There was a fairly serious medical emergency that happened a few rows below me in the stand about 50 mins before throw in. I have it on fairly sound advice that when they brought out the defibrillator to administer cardiac care, the thing had no batteries in it!If this turns out to be true, then puck me that's a fairly serious oversight.

Boom__Boom wrote: »

I wouldn't bet on that. They advertised during the game yesterday that one could get B&B plus travel for 85bucks PPS. I'm not sure what the accommodation is like but I'm sure it's pretty decent. That's a phenomenal price considering I paid 37yoyos to get the bus (CIE) to Galway!

Here, getting away from the football for a moment. There was a fairly serious medical emergency that happened a few rows below me in the stand about 50 mins before throw in. I have it on fairly sound advice that when they brought out the defibrillator to administer cardiac care, the thing had no batteries in it!If this turns out to be true, then puck me that's a fairly serious oversight.

A former Monaghan GAA chairman died or something.

Boom__Boom wrote:

Well I am heading down, I relish the away trips, for the Saturday night at least.

Last away win in Division One was in Mulligar in 2009 as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Well I am heading down, I relish the away trips, for the Saturday night at least.

Last away win in Division One was in Mulligar in 2009 as far as I know.

Well I suppose I should wish you well in enjoying your trip but I'll be hoping you don't enjoy the result and as a Killarney native I can't help think you'll be missing out by having to go to Tralee.

That stat blew my mind - the way I read it first was that it was last away Donegal had in the league was that game.

Obviously the time spent in Division 2 affects things massively.

With both sides having poor performances it will be interesting to see if there is much in the way of a reaction.

Also Kerry's record in the league so far against sides we beat in last year's championship has not been impressive so hopefully that is one trend that comes to an end.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭The Assistinator

Terrible, terrible game to watch. I read Brolly's article in the Sindo last night and he was writing about teams having 12/13 men behind the ball. Well, yesterday I witnessed the whole 15 of Donegal's team back defending on multiple times. Not even Monaghan resorted to that - and they are noted for the mass defence. If this is what Gallagher is going to bring, I'd sooner have the local U12 manager take over. I'd many an argument the length and breadth of the country down through the years defending the 'blanket defence' but yesterday was indefensible. Not to make light of someone's misfortune, but the spectator who was stretchered out during the second half had a lucky escape in not having to watch the full game of this!

Reading Gallagher's comments in the NP's and him talking about the team been "too lateral and conservative" - well...I'm sorry Rory but is this not the way they're are coached? They persisted with the short passing into the wind in the first half but then continued with it in the second half. Like FFS, how long did it take you to see that that approach wasn't working? The only score from the game came from a direct long ball into the edge of the square. When this reaped a goal, why did they not try it a few more times? Nobody has to be an expert to figure this out. Where the puck was plan B?

Regarding your point about McFadden. While a great servant to the team down through the years, every dog has it's day and his was 2 years ago. His benefit to the team yesterday was zero. If Gallagher continues to show faith in him,then it's to the detriment of the team as a whole. Another thing, giving the ball 3-4 metres in front of Murphy isn't working. While he has the bulk to defend himself and ball when in possession, he doesn't have the pace to reach a ball that's kicked in front of him. Too many times yesterday the defender made it to the ball ahead of him. Another point, Mark McHugh was blown up for over carrying the ball when the nearest Monaghan player was 15 metres away. I mean, like c'on. This is a basic basic error. Maybe the point about the team looking tired and jaded isn't so absurd, but should they be feeling like this in the first week of March? I'm just thinking...I wonder is there a JMG hangover about the team. A new manager is meant to revitalise and invigour a team but I dont see this happening with this team. There were two instances in the game which got to me thinking. The first was Toye's shot from about 40m out that went gloriously wide. The ball went over and back, over and back about 20 times before he took the shot - which in my opinion was born more of frustration than any serious thought of sticking it over the bar. It wasn't even a shot to nothing! The second point, soon after that incident, again after repeated lateral movement, Neil Gallagher gave a pass into Murphy (I think - possibly Paddy Mc), anyway, Monaghan won the ball and started a counter attack. Well...Gallagher went nuts with the inside forwards, arms flailing - the lot - asking where the runners where. He was 100% right, nobody was making any moves at all at all...I'm thinking to myself...is there any disharmony creeping through the team. I'm sure the players themselves don't want to be playing this standard of crap football either.

Last October, with only Kavanagh the serious retiree from the panel, I felt confident of Donegal making another AI semi final at least. After yesterday's game, I'm not so confident now.

While i agree with your take one hundred percent its worth noting monaghan conceded all donegal kickouts leaving three or four donegal men to pick the ball of durkan and while doing that for most of the first half having all fifteen men in theyre own half even when they counter attacked they relied on the frees as they were easily dispossed

Boom__Boom wrote:
    Well I suppose I should wish you well in enjoying your trip but I'll be hoping you don't enjoy the result and as a Killarney native I can't help think you'll be missing out by having to go to Tralee.

Aye, I was in Killarney in 2012. Had a great night on the Saturday. Sheahan picked us off easily enough on the Sunday. Would prefer Killarney myself alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭eddie73

Disappointed for sure about the result on sunday. It would be tempting to write off donegal, a la 2013 now, to avoid disappointment later in the year. I think that there are worrying signs and stats from the game on sunday, and even the game v dublin.

The cork game looked fairly ok, we did enough and should have beaten Cork by more, but it seems that most teams are now setting up to have strong home performances and not putting their big performances in for away trips. That is why I am worried about next sunday. Couple this with our last game v mayo in castlebar, and the fact that 2009 away to westmeath was our last win in division 1, I think that staying up will come down to beating tyrone in ballybofey and hoping things work out for us in other games. Not ideal.

The bottom line is that it is very hard to stay in division 1, and it is almost impossible to have a good season if you are relegated. That is why I am worried about 2015.

Advertisement