Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your favourite foundation?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,334 ✭✭✭✭starlit

My favourites have been Lancôme, Elizabeth Arden and No7 (match made and stay perfect) all in liquid format. They keep my skin looking natural. I've fairish skin so go for colours that suit. I like no7 as it has a foundation match thing that sees the nearest shade to match your skin. I got two matching ones but I went with one the type of shade I've gone for with most brands.

I go for light shade during the day and a little shade darker for at night. I've tried different brands but some make my skin cakey, not natural looking either shade looks a bit artificial or too light. I use to wear Max Factor but they stopped stocking the foundation I used and they have a new one out but not too keen on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 AJmakeup

I've just repurchased L'Oreal Lumi Magique for daytime wear! I also like Rinmel Lasting Finish 25 Hour foundation & L'Oreal True Match!

For evening and occasion wear I would use MAC Studio Fix, only because I know there will be no doubt photos taken & I want heavy coverage & flawless look! I think it's too heavy for day wear! Or sometimes in the evening I would wear Maybelline Fit Me :)

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I'm using Bobbi Brown Skin Foundation in Warm Ivory at the moment - was using Porcelain before but it was making me look a little too washed out. I don't need very heavy coverage so something relatively light like this suits me, and the colour is a very good match.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭blacklilly

I've been using Dior foundation for number of years now, I started with the nude, then moved onto forever and now I'm using their star version.

I'd love each adn every one of them, the coverage is good, it applies very smoothly and wears very well.

I've also used MAC Studio Sculpt and didn't like the way it sat on my skin, also didn't like the texture of it.

DW is great to have flawless looking skin but I think it does look and feel too heavy on my face (I'm not a huge fan on the heavily made up look).

Also, for me personally the biggest waste of money in terms of foundation has been bobby brown, the shades may be good but the consistency is awful and it looks awaful on my skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭cookiecakes

I like Mac Studio Fix but my fave is probably Dainty Doll. It's specifically for redheads so the shade is bang on for me and it provides the perfect amount of coverage for me. That said, Im getting Nars Sheer Glow for Christmas so that may change!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

For work: Rimmel Lasting Finish 24hr- does the job although if I wanted good wear out of it I'd need to put a powder on.

For days off/going out for dinner etc: MAC Studio Fix. Swear by it. The girl in MAC advised me once to try the Sculpt because my skin is a little bit dry but I didn't find it gave off as much as a "creamy finish" as Studio Fix and definitely didn't stay on my skin as long so started wearing the Sculpt to work sometimes.

For nights out: NARS. Love the coverage it gives and can definitely rely on it all night :)

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

blacklilly wrote: »

Also, for me personally the biggest waste of money in terms of foundation has been bobby brown, the shades may be good but the consistency is awful and it looks awaful on my skin.

Agree! Was in BT once during the summer when they had their "special makeup artists from London" over. I was just browsing the counter when she nabbed me about how nice my skin was and how the foundation would look great on my skin and asked would I like to try it.. With half an hour to spare I thought why not! Anyways, she fussed over me for a good while and the end result was SO disappointing- I literally looked like I had nothing on my face and not in a good, subtle way!! I thought I looked a bit ill to be honest with it on my skin:( Also found the sales assistant a bit rude when I finally said I didn't want to buy anything!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I like Mac Studio Fix but my fave is probably Dainty Doll. It's specifically for redheads so the shade is bang on for me and it provides the perfect amount of coverage for me. That said, Im getting Nars Sheer Glow for Christmas so that may change!!

Where do you get Dainty Doll?

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭cookiecakes

Where do you get Dainty Doll?

It used to be available in Boots in Belfast but it seems to have been discontinued! I bought up a load of bottles on Amazon and there are some still available although they only seem to have dark in stock!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

I found that too, not a mac fan at all.

I love L'Oréal True match. I've tried MANY others but always come back to it.
    I like this too. I'm surprised by the expense people go to on this thread for make up. I'm going to wait until I'm way older to spend that much on my face. Am I wrong? But I do like Clarins primer and 8 hour cream alright. I suppose everyone has their favourites depending on their skin.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

My problem is how pale I am - always found it very difficult to get a good colour match from cheaper brands. I always buy mine in the airport too, so it's not quite as painful.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I have been using Bare minerals for about 2 years now, in the mineral powder and have been happy with it. I got the serum foundation for Christmas and I love it! Its so much easier to put on and goes on so smooth and looks flawless! Really liking it. My only complaint would be that you have to buy a brush with it, its a special flat top one, with a bit cut out of middle where you put a couple of drops of the foundation into and then buff. The brush is pricey at €28! So not too impressed with that!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Revlon colorstay for oily/combination skin in sand beige is the exact match for my skin and it is long lasting, I love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ShazGV

Colorstay in Ivory is pretty much an exact match for my skin tone. I wish it had a bit better coverage but it's one of the only foundations I've ever repurchased when it ran out.

Also a fan of Double Wear but I have to work a bit more with it for it to blend in to my skin, the colour is just slightly too dark. I like the coverage & lasting power of it though, I'll probably buy another one when it's finished. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Daisy78

I switched from Mac to Armani Luminous Silk about a year ago and I love it. It,s like a second skin without being too heavy. I found Mac very thick and difficult to blend which is strange because I used to find it great, maybe they changed the formula.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Maybelline dream satin liquid was the best of all I have tried, and almost pale enough. Really light and good for dry skin.

I don't feel I need and I don't like the feel of full foundation, so I've been using Mac face and body for the last 2 years. It's perfect, really dewy and natural. Beats bb creams for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dark Phoenix

for work I just use Chanel healthy glow with some concealer.

Day wear - Loreal Eau de Teint its really light and I just use some concealer with it. I also like the max factor mousse one.

Night / occasion - EL Double Wear. It doesn't budge. couldnt wear it every day but great for nights out

also loreal infallible is good too its the 16 hour one and it does actually stay on that long (tried and tested on an awful long work trip!)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I'm in the search for a new foundation at the moment. I used to use bare minerals but lately I found it didn't look good on my skin. It highlighted all my pores (no thank you!) and sat in the fine lines.

I used Dior capture totale for a while but it gives light coverage and I need a little more. I bought the bourjois healthy mix serum after reading rave reviews and it's quite alright. It wouldn't be my everyday foundation but it gives good coverage without feeling heavy.

I got a sample of Mac mineralise moisture SPF foundation last week and I really like it. It gives light to medium coverage but I can add more in specific areas. It seems to last 10 hours but feels lovely and light on my skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭whatever76

Have you tried Urban Decay foundation ? Been using that for last year or so and find it great - really light and glides onto skin !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

whatever76 wrote: »
    Have you tried Urban Decay foundation ? Been using that for last year or so and find it great - really light and glides onto skin !
    Thanks, I'll look for it next time I'm out and about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭jadie

I'm loving the new foundation by Elizabeth Arden, Perfectly nude. Good shade range too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

Day wear True Match from L'Oreal is great, really natural and just covers enough to even out skin tone. In fairness I'd also recommend Colour Adapt from Max Factor, both are really good.

Night time it's hard to beat the staying power and overall finish of Double Wear. My only issue with it is that because it contains SPF, it's not good if you're having photos taken with a flash. It's the only thing I'd change about it.

I'm going to invest in one with no SPF soon, so if anyone has any recommendations I'd love to hear them! Colour Adapt mentioned above has none, but it just doesn't last the same as Double Wear.

Actually I find it a bit annoying that so many foundations have SPF, considering we could all apply moisturisers with SPF beforehand if we wanted to. I'd much prefer if they didn't bother!

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaliforniaDream

Meangadh wrote: »
    Night time it's hard to beat the staying power and overall finish of Double Wear. My only issue with it is that because it contains SPF, it's not good if you're having photos taken with a flash. It's the only thing I'd change about it.

I'm going to invest in one with no SPF soon, so if anyone has any recommendations I'd love to hear them! Colour Adapt mentioned above has none, but it just doesn't last the same as Double Wear.

Actually I find it a bit annoying that so many foundations have SPF, considering we could all apply moisturisers with SPF beforehand if we wanted to. I'd much prefer if they didn't bother!

I use Kat Von D's lock-it tattoo foundation. I love it. It's full coverage and long wearing. I don't need full coverage luckily but sometimes I want that kind of foundation.
    A little bit goes a long way but there's no SPF in it so that might work for you.
    I jump between that, Nars Sheer Glow and Chanel Mat Lumiere. I'm thinking of buying Tarte Amazonian Clay and maybe a Lancome one.
    I just like having choices! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

I bought the Laura Mercier Silk Creme foundation recently and I love it. It's full coverage, the palest shade is perfect on me and it doesn't feel super heavy either. It has no SPF so it's great for nights out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I use Kat Von D's lock-it tattoo foundation. I love it. It's full coverage and long wearing. I don't need full coverage luckily but sometimes I want that kind of foundation.
    A little bit goes a long way but there's no SPF in it so that might work for you.
    I jump between that, Nars Sheer Glow and Chanel Mat Lumiere. I'm thinking of buying Tarte Amazonian Clay and maybe a Lancome one.
    I just like having choices! :D

What do you use to apply Kat Von D? I love it but sometimes find it a bit cakey.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaliforniaDream

What do you use to apply Kat Von D? I love it but sometimes find it a bit cakey.

I use the real technique foundation brush or expert face brush. I haven't used it with my beauty blender but I'm sure it would look great.
    I just start with a small bit on one area and work from there. I don't put it all over my face at once cuz it dries quickly.
    Never had issues with cakiness thankfully.

Bourjois Healthy Mix or Rimmel colour match, both are light on the skin and have perfect shades for me. I've an easily matched skintone, so that probably makes a difference and it means I've never had to spend a lot on a base for a color match. I dislike heavy or very long wear ones, I can feel them 'sitting' on my skin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭CarpeDiem85

I love Bobbi Brown foundation. It makes my skin look dewy and healthy. I love that Bobbi Brown promotes looking fresh and healthy with a light coverage rather than try make you look like a completely different person. I like minimal coverage. I got my make up done at lots of different make up counters and sometimes I didn't recognise myself in the mirror! I was caked in the stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Kiwi in IE

Elizabeth Arden Flawless Finish. I have used Elizabeth Arden Skincare and makeup since I was 16 (am slightly more than twice that now). I have deviated on occasion and like Estée Lauder and Christian Dior foundations too, but always go back to Elizabeth Arden. The only problem with Elizabeth Arden is that the colour range is not universal like Clinique, Mac etc, so the foundation shade I used to buy in NZ is not available here and I have to buy it online from home or get family members to send it. I can't find any shade in any brand that matches up. Due to this I tend to only wear blush, lippy and mascara during the day because there is no point wearing foundation at all unless it is perfect.

I really don't get on with Mac or Clinique foundations but love lipsticks, blush, mascara etc in both brands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Tea-a-Maria

Benefit Hello Flawless! Is my favourite. The Ivory shade is a perfect match for my skin. I had Bobbi Brown Moisture Rich foundation, but I found that it was slightly yellow and didn't match my neck. I also found it felt really heavy by around 4pm and I just wanted to wash it off! I don't have that problem with the Benefit foundation. I usually touch it up a little with the matching powder at lunchtime, and it really does make your skin look flawless. :)

Advertisement