Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ticket Checker Bullying a Minor

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

dvpower wrote: »
    When I was a kid (a bit younger than 17) I went into
    Easons
    and bought a pack of markers. The shop assistant gave me a receipt but didn't give me a bag. Stupidly I dropped the receipt and continued to browse around the shop. When I went to go, I was stopped by a store detective and brought into a room where I was accused of stealing. I was completely in shock. They wanted me to confess to a theft; I tried to explain what happened, I could tell then how much money my mother gave me that morning, how much I spent on bus fare, and on the markers, and I could show them how much I had left in my pocket.

Eventually they let me go, but I learned a valuable lesson (on reflection).
    I think that this kind of thing can only happen a couple of times before you learn to kick back at it, so I think the OPs kid can put this in his back pocket as a bit of life experience.

I'll teach you another valuable lesson now: you could have sued them very easily for several thousand euro. And you should have. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Furet wrote: »
    I'll teach you another valuable lesson now: you could have sued them very easily for several thousand euro. And you should have. ;)

I dont think you can sue them for making an honest mistake.

Many burglaries happen from someone grabbing something discreetly and then wandering around the store as normal so as not to arouse suspicion. Maybe the security guard had seen similar before. The fact that you had no receipt was another unusual coincidence.

If they did try to make you confess then yes you would have a case, but for several thousand? Im not legal genius, but i doubt it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

I dont think you can sue them for making an honest mistake.

Many burglaries happen from someone grabbing something discreetly and then wandering around the store as normal so as not to arouse suspicion. Maybe the security guard had seen similar before. The fact that you had no receipt was another unusual coincidence.

If they did try to make you confess then yes you would have a case, but for several thousand? Im not legal genius, but i doubt it.

For my sins I had to work with a security company for several years to put myself through college. Believe me, if you make a citizen's arrest in the wrong, you have a) committed false imprisonment and b) slandered the accused. You can be sure the store detectives were counting their lucky stars when they realised he wasn't going to sue them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

but i doubt it.

You doubt wrong. False imprisonment is a very serious matter and civil cases have known to be settled for five-figure sums.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

penexpers wrote: »
    You doubt wrong. False imprisonment is a very serious matter and civil cases have known to be settled for five-figure sums.
    Only this week this case paid out and it wasn't even false imprisonment.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

What are you looking for?

(1) Info on how to complain or (2) sympathy for your son?

(1) Complain to Iarnrod Eirean via:
    Customer Relation Department
    Southern and Western
    Iarnród Éireann
    Heuston Station
    Dublin 8

(2) Your "child" is 17. Soon he will be 18 and will be an adult. Probably time to start preparing for that. (You and him)

Oh btw, as an aside, I read your original post and took it that you were a father talking about your son. So when that poster said that your child "needs a strong male influence" I thought they were talking about you. Maybe that is the way that poster interpreted your post as well???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

May I just say to the OP that you have perhaps come to the worst place on the planet for advice on this as the imbecile internet warriors that live here will leave a bitter after taste which will overcome any good advice you receive from the decent majority.

Judgement Days advice about writing to the CEO is worth a shot.

Railusers Ireland may also be worth a try for advice but beware that some over there will also have a tendency to see your concern as something that doesn't "fit" with their love affair of railway bye laws. But there's a few really decent people who may guide you.

Alternatively, if you want to PM me I'll happily give you an Irish Rail email address that will get you on the road to a quick resolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Perhaps notsosure`s Son encountered the Ticket Checker involved with this fine fellow.....
    Originally Posted by netwhizkid View Post
    Similar thing happened to me when I was 16 at Heuston,I told the controller I presume you will be taking full responsibility of except I had no student card and was chancing my luck. me as a minor in your care now for the night if I can't travel. I was left on

Another time there was a crush in Killarney when they refused to open gates, I told the conductor if you don't open these gates I will go in there and you won't know what hit you. He called the guards over and I told them we were being crushed, the guards made them open the gates and I told yer man to go F his mother royally!!! People have no spine when challenged and people need to stand up for themselves.

Quite obviously there goes a lad "Well able to stand up for hisself"...but at what cost to those less robust who trail along in his wake ?

As goingnowhere also points out the two other elements do not lend much support to the OP`s points,
    The card doesn't have a date of birth or address on it

CIE didn't issue the card

Also there now appears to be an element of garnish being applied as we now have an allegation of alcohol consumption whilst on-duty....
    The school system in this country teaches against standing up for yourself, my chap is 17 and did his Leaving Cert. last June (if he had stood up for himself he would have been expelled), he's from a very rural area. So give him a break as he had a bad 20 minutes from a semi drunk ticket fella on his way home (seemingly ticket guy reeked of drink) & he was taken by fright. Again I'll say, he's only 17.

Now this complaint is moving in a somewhat different direction,one which would merit summary dismissal and criminal charges.

I can guarantee the OP that Irish Rail,and the CIE Group overall will have No Problem whatsoever in dismissing an employee PROVEN to have consumed alcohol whilst on-duty.

However I am somewhat uneasy with such revelations coming along after-the-fact,almost as an aside ?

I`m also not quite sure why the OP would need to qualify the young gentlemans allegations by describing his "Very Rural" background.....the Ticket Checker could also be from such a background a fact which surely would be irrelevant in 21st C Ireland...or is it ?

I rather agree with the suggestions of other "Non Imbicilic"posters here regarding a written complaint and perhaps retuen to the thread AFTER I.E.have repiled to that.

I should imagine that in cases of confiscation a Ticket Checker will need to write up a report and submit that along with the ticket/card to his/her superior for processing.

Thus far we have heard the case for the prosecution,perhaps now it`s the turn of the defence to rebut...???

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Nottoosure wrote: »
    So give him a break as he had a bad 20 minutes from a semi drunk ticket fella on his way home (seemingly ticket guy reeked of drink)
    So now the ticket checker was drunk too.

This story just gets better and better.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Bluetonic wrote: »
    So now the ticket checker was drunk too.

No. Apparently just "semi drunk" :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,710 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I do hope that the 17-yo young adult in questions has done his own investigations about how to proceed with getting the card back, and written his own letter of complaint.

Love to hear back, ideally from him rather than mammy/daddy, about what happens.

I do hope that the 17-yo young adult in questions has done his own investigations about how to proceed with getting the card back, and written his own letter of complaint.

This,perhaps IS the nub of the issue.

JustMary may well have spotted that little grey area between a parents perception of their "Child" and that childs perception of themselves ?

Sometimes the two are at variance...?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Harpie

If your son is in college, then he should have one of these

cardbig.png

They do not have any address or date of birth details, as you mentioned in relation to your son's ID, and certainly will not pose any issue when produced for inspection. This afaik is the ONLY valid student ID for use on the train. It cannot be tampered with and supplies only photo identification and proof that the customer is a college student. It sounds like your son had the wrong kind of ID, which may be why the inspector took issue with it.

I think if you were looking for serious responses your posts could do with a LOT less melodrama and speculation (Drunk inspector, FFS).

AlekSmart wrote: »
    JustMary may well have spotted that little grey area between a parents perception of their "Child" and that childs perception of themselves ?

Absolutely. I think this is the crux of it all. While I acknowledge that what happened to the young adult was not very nice, that the mother of 17.5year feels to neccessity to come on to an internet forum going on as if he is an eight year old is a bit strange :confused:

TBH the OP sounds like the type of mother who was always up and down to school complaing about teachers and other pupils etc and is missing that now that he is in college.

I think you need to encourage your son to deal with upsetting experiences himself. Good luck.

Nottoosure wrote: »
    We just want to get the student card back, really, to make sure nothing sinister is going on, as the whole episode screams sinister to me.

What are you on about here????

Seriously. Read over what you wrote and ask yourself what you think you sound like going on like this.

Like basically the gist of your post is: "We are worried about the drunk ticket checker sinisterly taking our son's (17.5!!) student card"

I think at this stage "we" (you and your husband?) need to step back and let your son stand on his own two feet. At this stage of his life he should be ready to move on from mammy dealing with customer service in IE and be able to deal with himself.

I wonder if the OP is referring to THIS type of ID card.

http://www.irishrail.ie/images/pdfs/RAILCARD_APP_Form.pdf

I`m not au-fait with this particular card but it DOES seem to be issue by Iarnrod Eireann rather than the third-party Student Travelcard. (Although it does remain the property of the issuer and is liable to confiscation also)

Perhaps somebody has a copy of THIS card which could be posted to show ahat info is contained on it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

OK so the point of the matter is that the OP has concerns that her son's ID card was confiscated by a Railway station official because they thought it was tampered with.

I don't see what the issue is here.

It was either tampered with and therefore the railway official was right to confiscate the card.

Or on the other hand the card was not tampered with and the official was in the wrong when they took the card.

IMO there is nothing sinister going on - unless the OP is implying that it was a bogus official demanding to see young men's IDs and then taking the ID's from them.

IT is hard out to make out what exactly the situation is given the hysterical ranting of the OP in relation to her 17.5 yr old son (or "child" as she refers to him!!!!).

The 17 (point five) year old young man should ring on Monday morning and investigate why his card was confiscated. Mammy, meanwhile, should probably sit on her hands and try not to interfere in his business while he does this.

I'm still perturbed about this thread. I am re-reading it to see if I am missing something or misintrepreting something....

I don't think I am!

Hey, isn't the thread title a bit misleading? Like by saying bullying it is implying that this is an ongoing situation. Whereas it was only one event so should it not say "Ticket Checker Bullied a Minor???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

I don't think so tbh. I interpret it as, "What to do in the event of a ticket-checker bullying a minor".

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fries-With-That

Quote:
    "The school system in this country teaches against standing up for yourself, my chap is 17 and did his Leaving Cert. last June (if he had stood up for himself he would have been expelled), he's from a very rural area. So give him a break as he had a bad 20 minutes from a semi drunk ticket fella on his way home (seemingly ticket guy reeked of drink) & he was taken by fright. Again I'll say, he's only 17."

I lifted the above from a post that is using the above as a quote from the OP, but I can't find the OPs post that contained this quote ?

Has the OP deleted some posts or is my eyesight getting really bad after all ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

One of the OP's posts has been deleted - your eyes are OK!

So was the ticket checker "semi drunk" or not I wonder?

The (soap opera) plot thickens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

Obviously the OP littered her rant with sensationalised untrue claims of semi-drunkeness and is now having second thoughts.

Wonder what the railway official's side of the story would be in comparison to the 17.5 yrs old young mans side which was then recanted to us secondhand by Mammy in a hysterical manner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Furet wrote: »

It happenned back in the days before people sued other people for stuff like that. If I went home to my folks and demanded they sue the shop they'd have given me a good clip around the ear for being cheeky.;)

dvpower wrote: »
    It happenned back in the days before people sued other people for stuff like that. If I went home to my folks and demanded they sue the shop they'd have given me a good clip around the ear for being cheeky.;)

Completely agree with you.

What is the world coming to with crazy mammies fighting battles for their 17 (point five) year old young adult children and then posters pouring fuel on the fire telling her to sue.

:eek: :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I think this "trainwreck" has gone far enough.

OP, write a letter.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement