Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was your "OMFG!" shocking moment? (Potential Spoilers)

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,535 ✭✭✭swampgas

The first time I encountered the Flood in the first Halo game scared the life out of me - the way the proximity sensor lit up ...

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭daUbiq

gazzamc wrote: »
    Dark souls

The first time I tried to take on Smough and Ornstein... let's just say it was all over very quickly!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

In more recent games... Alien Isolation did a great job of surprising you, even in a market full of saturated cheap horror jump games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I presume you mean Virmire? If so, I wouldn't consider that early.

I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Playing Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis way back in the early 90s...

Was stuck on some bit in Northern Africa with a knife thrower... absolutely no idea what to do for freaking weeks! [Days before the internet...]. Allowed my Mum to play it and she immediately got past the bit I was stuck in... turned out I had to just push your woman to volunteer for the knife thrower...

Carrying on from there, I was always stuck on those god damn Stone Disc puzzles and I had to go through all possible combinations to get past... :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I was stuck at the skulls piano puzzle in the Last Crusade for weeks too. Those games were so awesome and genuinely funny. The puzzles could be ****ing hard though so you had a really great sense of accomplishment as you progressed! The fighting was class too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

.ak wrote: »
    I loved the GF summons in it. Really epic. Or the fact you could name your characters and GFs... My bro played the intro when we bought it without my knowledge, when I loaded the game the next day I noticed my characters all had names like '****HEAD' or 'DUMB ****' etc, usually spelled incorrectly and in caps with random spaces. A brilliant bit of sibling trench warfare.

Speaking of GFs, I loved the whole Odin/Gilgamesh thing.

I remember walking over to my friends house and he had Worms World Party on the PS1 I had never heard of the games before. I played pass the controller 2 player using his setup:

He had named one team and its worms World police "George Bush, Tony Blair, Colin Powell, George Washington, JFK and Richard Nixon"

The other team was named Axis of Evil and had "Osama Bin Laden, Hitler, Saddam Hussein, Stalin, Mao and Gerry Adams"

I thought it was the most hilarious thing ever, and the best times I had multiplaying were with that game.
    If only world democracy were so easy or maybe it is

Best multiplayer games from my youth:

Wipeout
    Tekken 3
    Micro Machines
    Speed Freaks
    Timesplitters
    WWF Attitude
    Super Bomberman

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Best multiplayer games from my youth:

Wipeout
    Tekken 3
    Micro Machines
    Speed Freaks
    Timesplitters
    WWF Attitude
    Super Bomberman

Oh hell yeah. Many a rainy afternoon was whiled away thusly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Defo micromachines on multiplayer so much fun, so much chaos, so many fights on the couch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,240 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The ending of Assassin's Creed 2. That game was so brilliant, but the ending was just the icing on the cake. Really opened up the whole series, or at least until they started stretching the bollox out of the story and ruining it.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

The ending of Assassin's Creed 2. That game was so brilliant, but the ending was just the icing on the cake. Really opened up the whole series, or at least until they started stretching the bollox out of the story and ruining it.

It's been so long since I played it, but does 2 end
    with the whole Gods using the Italian assassin to speak to Desmond through his memory? Yeah I thought that was really cool. The game was OK, to be honest, just like the rest of the series, but the ending really was a jaw dropping moment. Although they don't explain how they knew humans would invent the animus... I mean, that's a pretty big plot hole imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,240 ✭✭✭✭Penn

.ak wrote: »
    It's been so long since I played it, but does 2 end
    with the whole Gods using the Italian assassin to speak to Desmond through his memory? Yeah I thought that was really cool. The game was OK, to be honest, just like the rest of the series, but the ending really was a jaw dropping moment. Although they don't explain how they knew humans would invent the animus... I mean, that's a pretty big plot hole imo.

Yeah, that's the one.
    The Gods knew more than that humans would invent the Animus, they knew Desmond himself would use it. I just took it that one of their Pieces of Eden (like the staff and the apple) gave them visions of the future. I never found it necessarily to be a plot hole, but agree it could have been better explained.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Yeah, that's the one.
    The Gods knew more than that humans would invent the Animus, they knew Desmond himself would use it. I just took it that one of their Pieces of Eden (like the staff and the apple) gave them visions of the future. I never found it necessarily to be a plot hole, but agree it could have been better explained.

I'm amazed that ye've both overlooked
    fistfighting with the pope!

Ive just realised what was probably one of my biggest OMFG moments.

I got Red Dead Demption and was loving it, what a game. Kind of like GTA in the Wild West, but cooler.

Anyway, I had never really played any games online up to that point but thats when I finally learned about it, set up a network in my house, complete with repeaters and the like and took that brave leap.

Red Dead Multiplayer was amazing. There was a massive learning curve but you could become incredible. The controls were very intuitive.

What was also really cool was using the headset for the first time, also with that game. I ran into some guy in Free Roam in the middle of no where and just palled about for a bit. Just amazing at the basic level to be my character running around with some kid over in Nottingham.

THen, later, had another go and this snot nosed kid suggested I join his 'clan'. I did so for the laugh, having to change outfit to a military peasant outfit, change nickname etc. He then started getting really snotty so I shot him. OH ****, he went mental... twas ****ing hilarious.

I suppose that was my OMFG moment - going online with a headset in RDR.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭dereks

Kotor - Revan
    Mass Effect 2 - The beginning
    Bio Shock 1 - The ending
    Red Dead Redemption - The ending
    LA Noire - The ending

Advertisement