Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was your "OMFG!" shocking moment? (Potential Spoilers)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

This probably doesn't follow the exact story driven theme of the thread but a memorable OMG moment was while playing multiplayer on one of the Smackdown! games on the PS2.

It was a triple threat cage match however it was really just myself and my mate doing a number on the poor AI guy. He placed the guy on the announcer's table and me, playing as Jeff Hardy climbed the cage and swanton bombed the guy through the table.

I was a big wrestling fan as a kid through the Attitude era so finally being able to recreate what you've just witnessed on the Saturday morning was fantastic.

16708144665_8373f53ff6.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

When you find out
    master is actually liquid :eek: :eek:
    I wish I could forget it and re live the somersaults my stomach did when I found out, I was so shocked lol :D

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Logic

Playing some Commodore 64 games and after 15 mins of loading the fecking game actually ran or else having to switch the tape over. Kids these days will never realise how lucky they are

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Seeing Ridge Racer running on a Playstation for the first time and it being totally identical (to my eyes) to the arcade version.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

TWD1
    When lee gets bitten outside the house........I was looking around my room...even though there was noone else there.....asking "what ? ...this is lee....I am the hero...I survive.......surely ...what ?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭5star02707

Final Fantasy VIII - Achieving Lionheart in Disc 1 :D

Actually the biggest wtf moment for me in FF7 was early on when one of the plates is brought down on the slums. I was racing up that tower to stop them. I couldn't believe how almost everyone you had interacted with up to then was dead.

A friend had spoiled the Aeris bit for me so it was just a bit weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Actually the biggest wtf moment for me in FF7 was early on when one of the plates is brought down on the slums. I was racing up that tower to stop them. I couldn't believe how almost everyone you had interacted with up to then was dead.

A friend had spoiled the Aeris bit for me so it was just a bit weird.

FFV7 was a big surprise to me in terms of scale. i thought the game was probably nearly over, but in reality I was only just after opening up the world map :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,389 ✭✭✭cml387

Bioshock Infinite...when Elizabeth changed her dress half way through. mmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

cml387 wrote: »
    Bioshock Infinite...when Elizabeth changed her dress half way through Spending 2 hours googling that rubbish ending to figure what the hell was going on as it was like 3 endings stitched together. mmmm

FYP :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Pizzle

Like a what a few others have said, finding out Miller
    was Liquid
    in MGS. Really came from no where!

The truth about Revan in KOTOR was a huge surprise too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

I genuinely believed the team that I picked to send to the Galbadian missile base to stop
    the retaliation for the attempted Edea assassination had died in FFVIII as they only turn up hours later, I played VIII before VII and that was my Aeris moment x 3 party members, so I couldn't understand the fuss, I still think Red XIII moment of realisation about his dad was more bitter to swallow and heartwarming
    There was a great feeling of separation. Just failing the assassination attempt was a shock too when the bullet just bounced away

And this moment. Christ I love this game and all its moments.

Here's the moment from VII I was talking about, believing Holy was
    going to fail at the end was something else I remember distinctly as shocking, (it sort of did at least for the humans, it can certainly be interpreted that way, if you want, ignoring the spin off/compilation material. That 500 years later reveal..... There are also significant clues in the games dialogue as just what the planet views as the enemy and it doesn't differntiate between the normal civilian and Shinra and co, your teammates
    Its pretty dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Adamantium wrote: »
    I genuinely believed the team that I picked to send to the Galbadian missile base to stop
    the retaliation for the attempted Edea assassination had died in FFVIII as they only turn up hours later, I played VIII and that was my Aeries moment x 3 party members.
    There was a great feeling of separation. Just failing the assassination attempt was a shock too when the bullet just bounced away

And this moment. Christ I love this game and all its moments.

I mentioned Bioshock Infinite and FF7 earlier on but ya know what, watching that intro made me realise that FF8 had the most 'OMG moments' for me. From the very beginning (that intro is a thing of beauty) to fighting the XATMO92, Edea's assassination attempt, the garden taking off, the 'orphanage' revelation, going to space, meeting Laguna in the flesh rather than in dreams, the time travelling, the ragnarok. Jesus all that came flooding back just from watching the intro. Looks like I'll be dusting off the old ps1 tonight...

Edit: even after you edited your OP I still fully agree with you. Red XIII finding out the truth about his father was a heartbreaking scene. And those tears... Right now my toughest decision is, FF7 or FF8??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,543 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The first time I played Wipeout on the PS and Mario 64 on an imported N64, two serious WTF moments right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Getting the bunny in Super Bomberman on the PS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

GerB40 wrote: »
    I mentioned Bioshock Infinite and FF7 earlier on but ya know what, watching that intro made me realise that FF8 had the most 'OMG moments' for me. From the very beginning (that intro is a thing of beauty) to fighting the XATMO92, Edea's assassination attempt, the garden taking off, the 'orphanage' revelation, going to space, meeting Laguna in the flesh rather than in dreams, the time travelling, the ragnarok. Jesus all that came flooding back just from watching the intro. Looks like I'll be dusting off the old ps1 tonight...

Edit: even after you edited your OP I still fully agree with you. Red XIII finding out the truth about his father was a heartbreaking scene. And those tears... Right now my toughest decision is, FF7 or FF8??

FFVIII I'd say. VIII can be played so many different ways, most replayable of all FF's imo, probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,303 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I don't think I ever looked forward to a game more than FF8 but twas a letdown.

Poor characters, incoherent plot from disc three onwards, tedious draw system etc.

The orphanage twist was really dreadful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Heavy Rain's reveal of the killer.

The actual thing was ****, but was legit shocked anybody would recommend that game to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

When I got the first piece of the scion in Tomb Raider and then realised there was MORE GAME! Compared to the mega drive games I'd been playing before, that game felt massive.

Also, I think I've mentioned it before but the part of Final Fantasy VII where
    you climb Shinra Tower following a trail of blood and bodies left in Sephiroth's wake
    was a watershed moment. The sense of atmosphere and dread, combined with the subject matter, was a revelation.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Sephiroth is still one of the most awesome characters ever. What a champ!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Accidentally doing Zangief's spinning piledriver in Street Fighter after so many unsuccessful attempts and then trying to figure out how the **** I did it.

Eternal Darkness. The whole game. A shame there hasn't really been a game like it since.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭gazzamc

Dark souls

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Corholio wrote: »
    Accidentally doing Zangief's spinning piledriver in Street Fighter after so many unsuccessful attempts and then trying to figure out how the **** I did it.

Eternal Darkness. The whole game. A shame there hasn't really been a game like it since.

Pulling off Fatalitys in MK !
    Or Fifa 94...when the referee chased you ! brilliant

Then there was Guitar Hero 3...you think you're great...reach the end...and then some ridiculous song called "Through the fire and flames" comes on and your fingers start to bleed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Football Friend

Not sure if it's been mentioned but metal gear solid 1. Hiding in a cardboard box! And then getting into the back of a truck and hiding in different boxes means the truck delivered you to different places.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

First time playing old school Counter Strike.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

+1 about FF8 having the most omg moments. Totally overshadowed by FF7, really underrated game.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

FF8 suffered at the time for being on the heels of FF7, but I really enjoyed it and retrospectively it gets the praise it deserved. I wish I could find the time to play through both again, it's been too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,303 ✭✭✭✭noodler

FF8 suffered at the time for being on the heels of FF7, but I really enjoyed it and retrospectively it gets the praise it deserved. I wish I could find the time to play through both again, it's been too long.

I've always thought the opposite.

I remember nothing but rave reviews for FF8 when it came out - as time goes on people notice its huge gameplay and story flaws more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

At the time I remember a lot of complaints about the junction system of FFVIII being too complicated but it clicked with me a lot quicker than materia, I found it really intuitive. HOWEVER, I went back to FFVIII a few months ago and was like "WTF is with all these stats? What do you mean I have to select a spell for each stat? What do you mean that if I use my magic my stats will go down? Huh?" I've clearly gotten stupider with time :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I loved the GF summons in it. Really epic. Or the fact you could name your characters and GFs... My bro played the intro when we bought it without my knowledge, when I loaded the game the next day I noticed my characters all had names like '****HEAD' or 'DUMB ****' etc, usually spelled incorrectly and in caps with random spaces. A brilliant bit of sibling trench warfare.

Speaking of GFs, I loved the whole Odin/Gilgamesh thing.

Advertisement