Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Airport - Terminal 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 674 ✭✭✭etchyed

athtrasna wrote: »
    One of the things that struck me about T2 is all the newsagents are WH Smiths? Some other English concessions too...are Irish shops not good enough for DAA??
    I'd imagine what's best for DAA is whoever's willing to pay the highest rent.

And anyway, give me WHSmith and Boots's meal deals over Irish Spar, Centra and Londis ripoffs any day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dacian

One of the things that struck me about T2 is all the newsagents are WH Smiths? Some other English concessions too...are Irish shops not good enough for DAA??
    Hughes&Hughes who used to be in the airport have gone bust. WH Smith took over their franchise in T1 and have agreed to go into T2. They are using the airport as they first foray into the Irish market.
    Having been in the WH Smith in T1 recently, it is well laid out, well lit with a great range of books/magazines.

Am sure if Eason wanted to they could have tendered for the T2 franchise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Off-topic posts removed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,536 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Dacian wrote: »
    Hughes&Hughes who used to be in the airport have gone bust. WH Smith took over their franchise in T1 and have agreed to go into T2. They are using the airport as they first foray into the Irish market.
    Having been in the WH Smith in T1 recently, it is well laid out, well lit with a great range of books/magazines.

Am sure if Eason wanted to they could have tendered for the T2 franchise.

Where is the WHS in Terminal 1? Eason's bought the H&H franchises there; I use the airport a lot and have cleared missed the WHS.

I suspect Eason's DID tender, and didn't get it.

WHS are already in Shannon as it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 tobias12

Folks,

Is there any official date in November for the opening of T2?? I am flying to the states in december and was wondering if it was open that I could fly from T2? I am going with Continental (not even sure if they are moving to T2). any ideas anyone???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,964 ✭✭✭trellheim

Where is the WHS in Terminal 1? Eason's bought the H&H franchises there; I use the airport a lot and have cleared missed the WHS.

I suspect Eason's DID tender, and didn't get it.

WHS are already in Shannon as it happens.

agree - it's easons opposite where H&H used to be to the left of security in T1. down towards the old C gates.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Jayuu

tobias12 wrote: »
    Folks,

Is there any official date in November for the opening of T2?? I am flying to the states in december and was wondering if it was open that I could fly from T2? I am going with Continental (not even sure if they are moving to T2). any ideas anyone???

Have you tried asking sombody in Continental as to their plans?

With regard to the opening date I am signed up for the last of the four trials on October 9th. Assuming that these trials have gone well one would assume that the terminal would open sometime in the following month. But officially there's no opening date at the moment. I'm sure once we have one somebody will be on here fairly quickly to post it.

As to whether Continental will have moved to the terminal that's a matter for them although it would seem to make sense given that there will be a full customs and immigration area for the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 tobias12

Jayuu wrote: »
    Have you tried asking sombody in Continental as to their plans?

With regard to the opening date I am signed up for the last of the four trials on October 9th. Assuming that these trials have gone well one would assume that the terminal would open sometime in the following month. But officially there's no opening date at the moment. I'm sure once we have one somebody will be on here fairly quickly to post it.

As to whether Continental will have moved to the terminal that's a matter for them although it would seem to make sense given that there will be a full customs and immigration area for the US.

Thanks for the heads up and hope the trial goes well. I did ring Continental and the girl knew about T2 opening but could not confirm if Continental were moving in or not. I will keep an eye on here for the latest developments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

trellheim wrote: »
    agree - it's easons opposite where H&H used to be to the left of security in T1. down towards the old C gates.

It's also Easons in piers A and D, and in the arrivals area - there's no WH Smith in Terminal 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭runway16

tobias12 wrote: »
    Thanks for the heads up and hope the trial goes well. I did ring Continental and the girl knew about T2 opening but could not confirm if Continental were moving in or not. I will keep an eye on here for the latest developments.

Continental will be moving to T2 - the full list of airlines is Aer Lingus, Delta, Continental / United Airlines, US Airways, American Airlines and Etihad Airways.

Everyone else, including Air Canada and Air Transat will stay at T1.

There is no official word on when all the moves will take place - it is likely to be a phased opening to avoid a Heathrow T5 style fiasco.

Rumour suggests Nov 29th will be the first day of Operations with Aer Lingus services to London Heathrow and Gatwick being the first to move, followed quickly by their other European Services. It wont take months to move everything in, but it will be phased.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

In other news T2 multistory is taking shape fairly quickly now, lot of precast concrete being fitted at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

Dublin Airport's Terminal 2 is due to open in the third week of November after a successful 'live' trial today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭irishguy

Bluetonic wrote: »
    In other news T2 multistory is taking shape fairly quickly now, lot of precast concrete being fitted at the moment.

Are they still building the hotel on top of it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

irishguy wrote: »
    Are they still building the hotel on top of it?

Been put on hold afaik due to the recession.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭n.catenthusiast

lord lucan wrote: »
    Been put on hold afaik due to the recession.

Regulator didn't allow funding for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭Conway635

I too took part in the T2 trials yesterday.

I can confirm the W H Smith in in the area after security (i.e. departures shopping).

I've put a walk-through of the terminal for departing and arriving here.

Regards
    C635

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Alpha Papa

I enjoyed reading your review stephen. Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

Conway635 wrote: »
    I too took part in the T2 trials yesterday.

I can confirm the W H Smith in in the area after security (i.e. departures shopping).

I've put a walk-through of the terminal for departing and arriving here.

Regards
    C635

Thanks Steve, that was a great read. :)

DAA is set to announce the opening date for T2 tomorrow at a press conference. So should be on the evening news i reckon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,234 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Trial was a good experience I must say - I'd elaborate but Mr Conway there has done a very thorough job already! Was interesting to me even though I was there, cheers for taking the time to share the thoughts.

Have to say the DAA were very professional, and the airline staff (Etihad for me) were very nice also. As ex-daa staff it was interesting for me to see the new place and also I noted, after asking the ASU lady, that the entire building remains landside, not airside, therefore the security search was for show only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

sdonn wrote: »
    also I noted, after asking the ASU lady, that the entire building remains landside, not airside, therefore the security search was for show only.

Eh?? Are you saying the whole of Terminal 2 is landside?? That doesn't make sense to me. You hardly check in one terminal and then proceed to another terminal to go through security/duty free and flight gates! :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,486 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Maybe he meant that it remains landside for the meantime until it actually opens?

ongarboy wrote: »
    Eh?? Are you saying the whole of Terminal 2 is landside?? That doesn't make sense to me. You hardly check in one terminal and then proceed to another terminal to go through security/duty free and flight gates! :confused:
    Alun wrote: »
    Maybe he meant that it remains landside for the meantime until it actually opens?

Yeah the Airside/Landside boundary will (obviously) be moved in line with the new terminal after opening.

Means all the contractors, etc don't have to keep going through staff screening which is annoying, I know. Although while on the trial one was directed to go through search anyway, no idea when it was not a sterile area.

Alpha Papa wrote: »
    DAA is set to announce the opening date for T2 tomorrow at a press conference. So should be on the evening news i reckon.

Looks like didnt happen.. Sorry information wasnt correct it turns out. Sorry for getting peoples hopes up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

there was an article on the RTE news on the 9th about the trial run.

Heres a writeup from the journalist and a link to the TV piece.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/1010/terminal2.html

They also have a nice gallery of images from inside and outside the terminal
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/1010/t2images_gallery.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

They also have a nice gallery of images from inside and outside the terminal
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/1010/t2images_gallery.html

Picture 16 "The site was transformed after three years" is the Multi Story site still under construction, a bit misleading.

Alpha Papa wrote: »
    Looks like didnt happen.. Sorry information wasnt correct it turns out. Sorry for getting peoples hopes up.

I mean no offence here, but are you not afraid the DAA will find out who their leak is and sack you? :P

sdonn wrote: »
    I mean no offence here, but are you not afraid the DAA will find out who their leak is and sack you? tongue.gif

haha I hope not mate, Im not leaking any sensitive info, just that i heard that an announcement was due yesterday but didnt happen! Its not negative info against the DAA anyways :D

T2 will officially open on November 19th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭irishdub14

Thanks Alpha Papa

This is from [url]www.dublinairport.com:[/url]
    Phased Opening for Dublin Airport's Terminal 2

Dublin Airport's new passenger terminal Terminal 2 (T2) will open on a phased basis during
    November, the Dublin Airport Authority (DAA) has confirmed.

The formal opening ceremony for Terminal 2 will take place on Friday, November 19 and
    the first official flight will arrive that day. Airlines that are using the new terminal will begin
    transferring their services to T2 from Tuesday, November 23.

The phased ramp up to full operations will continue during late November and into early
    December as Aer Lingus, Etihad Airways and the various American carriers transfer their
    entire Dublin operations into Terminal 2. During this ramp up period, Aer Lingus will operate
    from both terminals, and will communicate directly with passengers regarding which
    terminal to use.

"After all the planning and hard work of the past four years, the DAA is delighted that we
    are now so close to the commencement of operations at Terminal 2 and we looking forward
    to welcoming the travelling public to their new terminal," said DAA Chief Executive Declan
    Collier. "The opening of Terminal 2 will transform the travel experience throughout Dublin
    Airport and will offer passengers the type of facilities, comfort and space they have been
    seeking for many years," Mr Collier added.

"It has always been our intention to open Terminal 2 on a phased basis and we have been
    working closely with our airline customers, ground handlers and the various State agencies
    in recent months to ensure a smooth transition," Mr Collier said.

Aer Lingus intends to commence its London services from Terminal 2 on November 23 and
    plans to operate all its other short haul services from T2 from November 30.

Etihad Airways plans to begin operating its service to Abu Dhabi from Terminal 2 on
    November 23, while transatlantic services operated by Aer Lingus, Delta, Continental
    Airlines and US Airways are planned to commence operations from T2 on December 7.

Initially, US flights will operate with the existing immigration pre-inspection regime. The new
    full US Customs and Border Protection (CBP) system will commence operations at Dublin
    Airport early in the New Year. The timing of the commencement of US-bound services from
    Terminal 2 remains subject to final agreement with the US state agencies.

Dublin Airport's other US carrier, American Airlines, will begin operating from T2 when it
    resumes its Irish services next spring.

The commissioning, testing and trialling of the various systems in Terminal 2 has been
    underway for 18 months and will continue until November 19, when the new terminal
    will be officially opened by An Taoiseach, Brian Cowen T.D. As part of this testing phase, a
    number of live test flights will operate through the new terminal from early November.

"During the past four months, more than three thousand volunteers have participated
    in several public trials of the new terminal," Mr Collier said. "These public trials were an
    essential part of the programme to prepare Terminal 2 for full operations and the DAA

would like to again thank the thousands of members of the general public who gave up
    their time to help us put the new terminal through its paces in advance of its opening next
    month."

Aside from the public trials, the DAA has also completed about 20 other large passenger
    trials using its staff, as well as those from the airlines and ground handlers who will be
    operating from Terminal 2. "All the various systems in the new terminal including the
    baggage system, safety, security, and building management have also been meticulously
    tested and those tests are continuing," according to Mr Collier.

From November, the DAA and its airline partners will be communicating in more detail with
    passengers to inform them about which airlines will operate from T2, the planned transfer
    of services and how best to use the new facility.

Ends

http://www.dublinairport.com/at-airport/latest-news/211010.html

• Advertisement

I'll be using this on 7 December - can't wait!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

DAA Update On Airline Transition To Terminal 2

17 November 2010

The Dublin Airport Authority (DAA) welcomes Aer Lingus' confirmation that it will begin flights from Terminal 2 at Dublin Airport later this week.

Aer Lingus has indicated that from this week, it expects to operate a range of proving flights into and out of T2, as it prepares for a full transfer of its scheduled operations into the new terminal from January. During this period, all Aer Lingus departing passengers should present at Terminal 1 as normal, unless advised otherwise by the airline.

The United States Customs and Border Protection (CBP) authorities have indicated they will transfer operations into Terminal 2 in the New Year. Aer Lingus has informed the DAA that it has realigned its transition plans to reflect this.

Terminal 2, which is officially opening later this week, will welcome its first scheduled airline services from next Tuesday, November 23, as Etihad Airways will begin operating from T2 on that date.

The DAA continues to work with its airline customers, ground handlers and Irish and US state agencies to ensure a smooth ramp up of services from T2.

Terminal 2 will be home to Aer Lingus' entire operation at Dublin Airport, and will also handle flights operated by Etihad Airways and US carriers.

It would now appear Aer Lingus will not commence operations fully until January.

Lufthansa will be using it from early December.

Furet wrote: »
    Lufthansa will be using it from early December.

Since when were Lufthansa using T2?

Stevek101 wrote: »
    Since when were Lufthansa using T2?

I don't know but when I rang them today to ask about my flight from Dublin to Frankfurt I asked which terminal I'd be departing from, and the rep said "two".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

Plowman wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

I specifically asked about Dublin. I'm inclined now to think that the rep got it wrong.

The only airlines moving to T2 are Aer Lingus, Etihad and the carriers going to the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 sonofabeach

Stevek101 wrote: »
    It would now appear Aer Lingus will not commence operations fully until January.

This is no big suprise as a lot of work still has to be done in T2. It all looked shiny & bright for the cameras on the 19th but behind the scenes is chaos. rubbish is piled up in lots of differant places and there are wheelie bins everywhere because the retail units have nowhere to put them.
    As for the retailers, does anyone know what's happening to the staff with the delayed opening.

This is no big suprise as a lot of work still has to be done in T2. It all looked shiny & bright for the cameras on the 19th but behind the scenes is chaos. rubbish is piled up in lots of differant places and there are wheelie bins everywhere because the retail units have nowhere to put them.
    As for the retailers, does anyone know what's happening to the staff with the delayed opening.

An EI flight to Munich went out this afternoon with passengers coming from T1. I had some spare time so I went into T2. The boarding gate area looked fully finished as did the retail outlets as well what I seen of the search unit.

Most of the retail outlets were fully stocked and open for business. The food court still had a few bits of work to be done but I didn't get to venture up to it.

Etihad will be moving in tomorrow and as far as I am aware passengers will be using T2 tomorrow to check in, while Aer Lingus will still be using T1 for check in of the proving flights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I read on the Irish Times ( I think) that as long as Aer Lingus will have flight departures and arrivals from both terminals, they will be advising all passengers to check in at T1 for the foreseable future even if your flight is departing from T2. Passengers will be escorted by ground staff from T1 to T2 for applicable flights. Likewise, arriving passengers from Aer Lingus will be escorted from T2 to T1 where meet and greet will still take place. The purpose of this was to avoid confusion from intending AL passengers going to the wrong terminal for their flight. Once all AL flights have moved over to T2 in January (when the full immigration/customs clearance for the US flights is ready), only then will passengers be advised to check in at T2.

The Immigration/customs clearance facility delay til New Year has thrown a spanner in the works for a quicker transition for both AL and the US airlines but maybe this is a blessing in disguise as teething problems can be sorted quickly with fewer and gradual airline transitions rather than a big bang (a la Heathrow's T5 opening fiasco)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,887 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I was under the impression that the Aer Lingus Dublin to London flights would be the first to use T2? Apparently I was wrong. The flights are transferring over to T2 at a frustratingly glacial pace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 796 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

ongarboy wrote: »
    I read on the Irish Times ( I think) that as long as Aer Lingus will have flight departures and arrivals from both terminals, they will be advising all passengers to check in at T1 for the foreseable future even if your flight is departing from T2. Passengers will be escorted by ground staff from T1 to T2 for applicable flights. Likewise, arriving passengers from Aer Lingus will be escorted from T2 to T1 where meet and greet will still take place. The purpose of this was to avoid confusion from intending AL passengers going to the wrong terminal for their flight. Once all AL flights have moved over to T2 in January (when the full immigration/customs clearance for the US flights is ready), only then will passengers be advised to check in at T2.

The Immigration/customs clearance facility delay til New Year has thrown a spanner in the works for a quicker transition for both AL and the US airlines but maybe this is a blessing in disguise as teething problems can be sorted quickly with fewer and gradual airline transitions rather than a big bang (a la Heathrow's T5 opening fiasco)

But at that stage they will not have tested the check in for T2 or the baggage delivery to the T2 carousels. At some stage they need to do full departing and arriving testing and that will need to be done piecemeal so the current piecemeal does not seem to serve any purpose.

Personally I think the right approach is being taken with Terminal 2 in a phased move of flights. At least this way the operators get to see where the pressure points are in a real world environment. No matter how much pre-testing you do there are always problems encountered when you go into a live situation. By doing a scale up approach they can hopefully can work out any problems as numbers increase. Remember the chaos in Heathrow when Terminal 5 opened up. Thousands of lost bags, hundreds of delayed flights, check-in nightmares. Nobody wants a repeat of that here with the probable exception of Michael O'Leary.

Obviously the delay in the US Immigration move is also disappointing as a huge amount of the relocated flights are US bound but that will be done in the next few months and from there on the new terminal should be up to full capacity quite quickly thereafter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

MICKEYG wrote: »
    But at that stage they will not have tested the check in for T2 or the baggage delivery to the T2 carousels. At some stage they need to do full departing and arriving testing and that will need to be done piecemeal so the current piecemeal does not seem to serve any purpose.

When I did the trial, we had to check in four times. Thousands of bags were being checked in and we also did arrival scenarios and collected bags at the belts. There were delays at the belts and these were being addressed.

When I did the trial, we had to check in four times. Thousands of bags were being checked in and we also did arrival scenarios and collected bags at the belts. There were delays at the belts and these were being addressed.

So what was the point of the trials then if they are not going to start using the terminal from check-in to back collection? At some point they need to make a leap.

So what was the point of the trials then if they are not going to start using the terminal from check-in to back collection? At some point they need to make a leap.

I was suggest the point of the trials were probably to make sure that there weren't any major flaws in the operational plan, to check different configurations for things like queuing systems, to see where potential bottlenecks might arise with passenger flows and to give staff a level of familiarity with working in the building.

It then makes sense to open the terminal on a gradual basis increasing numbers and refining the operating plan as they go and resolving any potential issues that may arise. Sometimes even the best testing in the world doesn't reveal all the potential problems associated with large numbers of people moving around a building.

As I said above nobody wants a repeat of the Heathrow Terminal 5 chaos.

Jayuu wrote: »
    I was suggest the point of the trials were probably to make sure that there weren't any major flaws in the operational plan, to check different configurations for things like queuing systems, to see where potential bottlenecks might arise with passenger flows and to give staff a level of familiarity with working in the building.

It then makes sense to open the terminal on a gradual basis increasing numbers and refining the operating plan as they go and resolving any potential issues that may arise. Sometimes even the best testing in the world doesn't reveal all the potential problems associated with large numbers of people moving around a building.

As I said above nobody wants a repeat of the Heathrow Terminal 5 chaos.

I agree so why are they not doing it. All they are doing is testing that the planes can dock at the new pier, the air bridges work and that people can walk along the pier. Other than that they are using the T1 facilities (am assuming baggage is taken off the plane and put into the T1 system directly). They have yet to use check in, baggage movement from check in to plane and from plane to carousel in T2. At some stage they need to do this. I would have thought it would have been done by now witha few flighst and then ramp it up if thinsg go well.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭n.catenthusiast

I agree so why are they not doing it. All they are doing is testing that the planes can dock at the new pier, the air bridges work and that people can walk along the pier. Other than that they are using the T1 facilities (am assuming baggage is taken off the plane and put into the T1 system directly). They have yet to use check in, baggage movement from check in to plane and from plane to carousel in T2. At some stage they need to do this. I would have thought it would have been done by now witha few flighst and then ramp it up if thinsg go well.

Other thing to factor in is that Aer Lingus will effectively be running a two-terminal operation for this transition period (in the build up to the busy Christmas period). They'l be equally concerned with not disrupting existing T1 services as much as trying out new T2 infastructure.

To the best of my knowledge slow ramp up period was at the behest of Aer Lingus. Terminal itself must be operational if Etihad can operate full live services out of there.

Given the capacity Dublin Airport now has there is absolutely no reason to rush the transition other than impatience. Last thing the country needs now is the international media zoning in on a failed opening á la Heathrow. Headlines would write themselves...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

The Loop Market was meant to open next week, but an email was sent out yesterday to the retailers pushing the date back to February.

AFAIK there's problems with carriers moving over and everything is going slower than planned. Most of the Duty Free shops are opened and have no business besides other employees of DAA.

Id say many people are pissed off at this stage as either they cant sell the stock they have or cant even move into T2 until all the delayed work is finished.

A staged opening is good for passengers but murder on retailers.

Advertisement