Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hashtag supporting Palestinian knife attacker trending on twitter

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Zippie84

Opened this thread expecting it to be related to the other thread with a housemates boyfriend threatening to stab him.

why?

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

I get what you're saying in one way, yes people sometimes just on board the twitter bandwagon when it comes to certain trends. But in this case it's a pretty distinct phrase and the intention of the hashtag was quite clear I think.

You're using a lot of qualifiers like "I think"

Are you muckraking here? Shitstirring?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Boring username

Egginacup wrote: »
    You're using a lot of qualifiers like "I think"

Are you muckraking here? Shitstirring?

How could I possibly be **** stirring here? I have clearly condemned violence on both sides.

"I think" = personal opinion/from my point of view. Anything useful to contribute to the discussion?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,004 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I suppose some people conflate support for Palestinian/Israeli 2 state solution, with opposition to Israel. After all, isreal is the one who has most power to bring peace.

I used to be a bit like that. I delighted in bad stories for Israel, even if it did nothing for peace or made peace more difficult. I look at the situation now and can't think why I thought like that.

In reality I wouldn't want either of them as a neighbour and as soon as there is peace, people like me will start looking at peacetime problems in Palestine. I wonder how they will treat women and gays and civil liberties once they have a state.

I have just come to see that part of the world as going through a pretty violent phase right now. In reality I don't like any of them and I don't understand the situation enough so I just want peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

I just think it's a pretty repugnant thing to do in light of events in Paris recently, and it's an utter public relations disaster for the Palestinian cause.

Using satire to ridicule the death of others. Wasn't that exactly what Charlie Hedbo did on many occasions?

I personally find the hashtag distasteful, and condemn bothattacks, but I don't think anybody can criticse a satirisation of the "Je suisCharlie" slogan or anything associated with or celebrating Charlie Hedbo, no matter how perverse, given what C.H. stood for.

• Advertisement
Advertisement