Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hashtag supporting Palestinian knife attacker trending on twitter

Options
  • 25-01-2015 1:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭

Four days ago, a Palestinian man boarded a bus in Tel Aviv and proceeded to slash and mutilate 11 commuters on their way to work. The man was subsequently wounded in a shooting and is currently being held in custody.

What followed, however, is a pretty disgusting insight into the warped mindset of those who have been indoctrinated into the cult of hatred. The hashtag #JeSuisCouteau ("I am the knife") began trending on Twitter, as thousands of people clambered to offer their on-line support for this act of barbarity.

I don't have a particular side in the Israel/Palestine conflict, in my opinion the war industry on both sides seems too deeply ingrained for peace to ever take hold.

I just think it's a pretty repugnant thing to do in light of events in Paris recently, and it's an utter public relations disaster for the Palestinian cause. Having said that, no doubt Israel will now retaliate in a disproportionate act of violence, thus continuing the cycle of tit for tat killings that keep the warlords on both sides happy.

Whatever your politics or opinions are, I think most people would agree this is a disgusting thing to do. (And yes, Israel have done it in the past too, and rightfully been called to task on it).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Yes its disgusting, but it's twitter. It isn't representative of anything except people with axes to grind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Some people just love a cause to follow without applying their brains to actually think about what that cause is.
    Dumb people is dumb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Boring username

Some people just love a cause to follow without applying their brains to actually think about what that cause is.
    Dumb people is dumb.

I get what you're saying in one way, yes people sometimes just on board the twitter bandwagon when it comes to certain trends. But in this case it's a pretty distinct phrase and the intention of the hashtag was quite clear I think.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Starting a topic title with "hashtag" is the same as "I dreamed" or "in EastEnders this week" with regards to importance.
    With regards to PR for Palestinians well they've had thousands of their children bombed to death and another tract of their land stolen and nobody gave a ****. I doubt this will make any difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭MichaelR

I looked it up on Twitter and the actual posts praising the knifeman all seem to be in Arabic. Still pretty disgusting, but I suspect some, if not all, are actual Palestinians (as opposed to Western leftists supporting Palestinian causes).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Angsty and radical "towelheads" supporting a fellow Islamic killer, quell surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I get what you're saying in one way, yes people sometimes just on board the twitter bandwagon when it comes to certain trends. But in this case it's a pretty distinct phrase and the intention of the hashtag was quite clear I think.

Twitter being the global phenomenon that it is, you're always going to get some nutbars that will court attention for themselves just for the sake of someone being offended.

They're no different than the people who expect the world to care because some nutbar kills eleven people on a bus or kills twelve people in Paris, when the fact is that such things aren't all that important to most people.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,415 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

No different than Irish people supporting an IRA bomb,had twitter been around.

On another note does anybody take twitter seriously?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Je suis bored with this sh1te..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

It reminds me of the scenes after the 9/11 attack. Palestinians cheering in the streets.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

mad muffin wrote: »
    It reminds me of the scenes after the 9/11 attack. Palestinians cheering in the streets.

What were you doing in Palestine in 2001?

AnonoBoy wrote: »

Hooping and hollering.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Or the triumphalsim in the US after illegally invading and destroying Iraq who they had lied about supporting Al Qaeda.
    Or the Israelis dancing in the streets at babies being crushed under rubble in Gaza.
    More than one side at this tasteless celebration business.

I had an ice cream van ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Like Billy Corgan in that music video for the pop song? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

Reminds me of the scenes of Israelis on a hill side having a bar-b-que, drinking beer and cheering as Israeli war planes and tanks bombed civilian area of Gaza.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Venus In Furs

kneemos wrote: »
    No different than Irish people supporting an IRA bomb,had twitter been around.
    Is there a point in there somewhere?

Like Billy Corgan in that music video for the pop song? :eek:

Exactly like that.
    Reminds me of the scenes of Israelis on a hill side having a bar-b-que, drinking beer and cheering as Israeli war planes and tanks bombed civilian area of Gaza.

Hardcore.

Is there a point in there somewhere?

There is a very obvious point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

ICE CREAM! ICE CREAM!

WE'RE ALL OUT OF ICE CREAM!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,739 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Do people really take stuff that "trends" on Twitter or other social media that seriously? It's 99% nonsense with occasionally useful stuff like traffic updates, news alerts and such.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,739 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

keith16 wrote: »
    ICE CREAM! ICE CREAM!

Damnit... I'd love a Feast right now.

keith16 wrote: »
    ICE CREAM! ICE CREAM!

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Damnit... I'd love a Feast right now.

Fear not! I have more.

As a matter of fact I have a tub of chocolate and a tub of mint chocolate chip in the freezer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Venus In Furs

kneemos wrote: »
    There is a very obvious point.
    There reeeeeally isn't.

It's analogous to someone saying "I got food poisoning in x restaurant" and the response being "No different to when I got food poisoning in y restaurant". Meaningless in other words.

For a split second, I thought maybe you meant "We" Irish are in no position to criticise hardliners because some Irish people supported the IRA's campaign... but then I thought, nobody could ACTUALLY think something as vacuous as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,541 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Ah well if it's in a hashtag it's bound to make a difference

There reeeeeally isn't.

It's analogous to someone saying "I got food poisoning in x restaurant" and the response being "No different to when I got food poisoning in y restaurant". Meaningless in other words.

For a split second, I thought maybe you meant "We" Irish are in no position to criticise hardliners because some Irish people supported the IRA's campaign... but then I thought, nobody could ACTUALLY think something as vacuous as that.

The point being people are the same the world over.

Hmm Ben and Jerrys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

And what about the Choc-Isis?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

The IRA analogy isn't a bad one really. It just means that there are many atrocities with political or religious motives that disgust the majority of people but that are at worst supported or at best rationalized by people with a vested interest or sympathy to the cause.

No wish to have a bashing session about it, just making an observation.

In light of that, I despair of Twitter posts like that but it's hardly new or sadly, even shocking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Zippie84

One hilariously stupid thing about twitter hashtags - is that often there are stupid / offensive hashtags that are started... and you will then have people tweeting about the stupidity / offensiveness of the hashtag... including the hashtag in their tweet, essentially keeping it going, and often getting it trending...

And then you'll have people tweeting appalled at what is trending... including the hashtag in their tweet, and essentially keeping it trending...

And so on and so forth....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Notorious97

Opened this thread expecting it to be related to the other thread with a housemates boyfriend threatening to stab him.

Advertisement