Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin marathon elite Field

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

menoscemo wrote: »
    Maria is definitely a clear favourite for the women's national title.

I believe she's not just after the national title. Wouldn't bet against her either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

tunguska wrote: »
    I believe she's not just after the national title. Wouldn't bet against her either.

Overall race win? Suppose it depends on who they have coming in from abroad.

pconn062 wrote: »
    Overall race win? Suppose it depends on who they have coming in from abroad.

Yeah definitely depends on who'll be drafted in on the day, but from what I understand anyway, she's going for the outright win.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Lindie Naughton had a piece in the Herald last night on the marathon

Sokolov is back who won 2007
    Peter Brandon of Athenry AC And Kenya

Copied in below cant post link

Another change to the race sees overseas elite runners making a return after an absence of a year.

Among those running are Aleksey Sokolov, from Russia, winner in 2006 and 2007, when he set the course record of 2:09.07.

Among the African entries are Peter Brandon Somba, winner of the Connemara Half Marathon earlier this year, and Raheny's Freddy Keron Sittuk.

Leading the women's entry are Russian Marina Kovaleva, Kenyan Esther Wanjiru Macharia, and 19-year-old Ethiopian Meseret Agama Godana.

0Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Netwerk Errer

youngrun wrote: »
    Lindie Naughton had a piece in the Herald last night on the marathon

Sokolov is back who won 2007
    Peter Brandon of Athenry AC And Kenya

Copied in below cant post link

Another change to the race sees overseas elite runners making a return after an absence of a year.

Among those running are Aleksey Sokolov, from Russia, winner in 2006 and 2007, when he set the course record of 2:09.07.

Among the African entries are Peter Brandon Somba, winner of the Connemara Half Marathon earlier this year, and Raheny's Freddy Keron Sittuk.

Leading the women's entry are Russian Marina Kovaleva, Kenyan Esther Wanjiru Macharia, and 19-year-old Ethiopian Meseret Agama Godana.

0Comments

Sokolov will have no competition so. I'm not going to lie, I'm pretty dissapointed with the field. Peter Brandon will most likely be running with the National championship runners. Sokolov will probably win by 5+ minutes.

• Advertisement

He may not be in 2007 nick - if you look up IAAF stats he has a 2.17 this year in Zurich and 212 in 2012, still probably a bit ahead of the Irish lads . May be one or two more overseas runners one would expect?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Sokolov will have no competition so. I'm not going to lie, I'm pretty dissapointed with the field. Peter Brandon will most likely be running with the National championship runners. Sokolov will probably win by 5+ minutes.

Sokolov ran his most recent Marathon in April in Zurich in a time of 2:17:10. Before that his last Marathon was in 2012 where he ran 2:13:01

His best times have all come in Dublin but he is unlikely to be in the shape he was when he set those times?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

If they get some half-decent elites then people complain about the money spent on some unknown African runners that nobody cares about.

If they don't then they get complaints about the elite field being disappointing.

Either way, they can't win.

If they get some half-decent elites then people complain about the money spent on some unknown African runners that nobody cares about.

If they don't then they get complaints about the elite field being disappointing.

Either way, they can't win.

True. A bit harsh on the African nobody cares about though.

I just always like to see some of the best in the world in action. I really don't think that much money is given to those elites in appearance fees and travel in the grand scheme of things.

Hammid el mouaziz ran the Great Limerick run last year and his asking price was €1000, he ran 28:xx. Look at the great Ireland run. They brought in Bekele and Japhet Korir over the last few years. Imagine the cost of them.

It's probably only a drop in the ocean to bring in a few 2.10 guys for the DCM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

The Great Run series is non comparable to the Dublin Marathon, its a series of races run all over the world and obviously would have alot more funds available to it to pay elites like Bekele etc to run. The Dublin marathon nearly has to beg for funds to stage the race let alone pay top dollar to elite runners to come race it. Unless a big multi-national backs DCM you'll never see likes of the Mutais, Kipsang or Bekele come race Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

True. A bit harsh on the African nobody cares about though.

I was merely paraphrasing the numerous comments I've seen on that subject every single time until last year. It's not my own view.
    I just always like to see some of the best in the world in action. I really don't think that much money is given to those elites in appearance fees and travel in the grand scheme of things.

As far as I know DCM doesn't pay any appearance fees. Instead they try and identify upcoming young runners and bring them over. Mind, travel costs and other related expenses for a dozen athletes will still add up.

Getting Feyisa Lelisa over in 2009 was a real coup. He subsequently placed second in Chicago, has a bronze medal from the World championships and a PB of 2:04:xx. :eek: Still, at the time he won DCM he got a quick mention in the news and that was it.

If you don't pay appearance fees, getting runners of that quality won't happen very often, and it does mean that the elites on the start line will generally be unknown to almost everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

tang1 wrote: »
    The Great Run series is non comparable to the Dublin Marathon, its a series of races run all over the world and obviously would have alot more funds available to it to pay elites like Bekele etc to run. The Dublin marathon nearly has to beg for funds to stage the race let alone pay top dollar to elite runners to come race it. Unless a big multi-national backs DCM you'll never see likes of the Mutais, Kipsang or Bekele come race Dublin.

That's a fair point. No reason why DCM cannot work towards bringing in some big elites over the next few years though. To improve the races international recognition it really must bring in the best runners it can. That's my view.

Any reason why we don't see more British runners come over?

That's a fair point. No reason why DCM cannot work towards bringing in some big elites over the next few years though. To improve the races international recognition it really must bring in the best runners it can. That's my view.

Any reason why we don't see more British runners come over?

The likes of Andy Lemencello(2.13PB), Scott Overall and Steve Way coming over certainly would make the race more competitive. But maybe it doesn't appeal to them.

The likes of Andy Lemencello(2.13PB), Scott Overall and Steve Way coming over certainly would make the race more competitive. But maybe it doesn't appeal to them.

Yeah it'd be great to see those guys come over, especially Steve way.
    I think though the fact that the course is pretty undulating has a lot to do with it. I mean Frankfurt is the day before so why waste good training on a slow course?

tunguska wrote: »
    I think though the fact that the course is pretty undulating has a lot to do with it. I mean Frankfurt is the day before so why waste good training on a slow course?

There is the issue with no real depth in the elite field. You have a marathon on the day before that offers a faster time, why would you run Dublin. But very little can be done to flatten the DCM course out though can there?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

I think that Steve would be open to the idea but it might be difficult to fit in with his aims for ultras as well as doing London which would be his first choice of marathon. I'm sure that he would do it as a training run but how interesting would that be to the organisers/public?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Ghost in Cratloe

Quick Update on the Elite Field for the fall bank holiday showpiece.

Freddy Keron Sittuk: 2:12
    Lezan Kimutai: 2:13
    Peter Somba: debut as far as I am aware although he has ran sub 30 for 10km.
    Paul Koech Kimutai: 62 /2:15 at Eldoret Marathon

plus the token Russian

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

There is the issue with no real depth in the elite field. You have a marathon on the day before that offers a faster time, why would you run Dublin. But very little can be done to flatten the DCM course out though can there?

There is alternatives to make it a flat course, but then wouldn't take much of the city in.
    Dublin just isnt that attractive kind of place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

There is alternatives to make it a flat course, but then wouldn't take much of the city in.
    Dublin just isnt that attractive kind of place.

I dont think the course profile is a major issue. The issue is money, if the price is right the best runners would run on the moon. NY is a tough course but attracts a top field because of its elite budget. The Dublin Marathon must budget their limited funds in a way that they believe is best for the race. A high quality field only attracts the attention of a limited number of people, mostly athletics/running fans like those of us who frequent forums like this, it wouldnt move the general public very much or indeed most of the field of runners in Dublin. I dont believe the race as an event suffered last year because of the absence of overseas runners and indeed support on the course was probably at an all time high. The organisers must get the balance right between promoting a quality event and promoting a quality race, if they concentrate too much on one the other suffers. I think they do a good job, Dublin as an event is at least a match for overseas marathons I have ran. As a race of course it cant compete with the big ones but I believe it strikes a good balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

From the point of view of the best Irish runners, internationals who are more than 10 minutes faster might as well not be in the same race, but people who are 5 minutes faster might drag them along?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

ultrapercy wrote: »
    I dont think the course profile is a major issue. The issue is money, if the price is right the best runners would run on the moon. NY is a tough course but attracts a top field because of its elite budget. The Dublin Marathon must budget their limited funds in a way that they believe is best for the race. A high quality field only attracts the attention of a limited number of people, mostly athletics/running fans like those of us who frequent forums like this, it wouldnt move the general public very much or indeed most of the field of runners in Dublin. I dont believe the race as an event suffered last year because of the absence of overseas runners and indeed support on the course was probably at an all time high. The organisers must get the balance right between promoting a quality event and promoting a quality race, if they concentrate too much on one the other suffers. I think they do a good job, Dublin as an event is at least a match for overseas marathons I have ran. As a race of course it cant compete with the big ones but I believe it strikes a good balance.

Was going to mention the money but last time i did that, there was war here!!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭GoTheDistance

RayCun wrote: »
    From the point of view of the best Irish runners, internationals who are more than 10 minutes faster might as well not be in the same race, but people who are 5 minutes faster might drag them along?

Im not so sure. If you're a 2:20 guy and someone comes over to DCM to run 2:15 (lets say they hit their target) then what knock on effect would it have on you the 2:20 guy. I'm not sure it would change anything.

As other posters have said maybe the time of year doesn't fit with the plans of elite athletes say from Western Europe. Youve just had Berlin, Chicago Amsterdam is this Sunday then you have NYC Marathon after Dublin. Those other four marathons have very deep pockets. DCM does a great job with the budget it has.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

Im not so sure. If you're a 2:20 guy and someone comes over to DCM to run 2:15 (lets say they hit their target) then what knock on effect would it have on you the 2:20 guy. I'm not sure it would change anything.

As other posters have said maybe the time of year doesn't fit with the plans of elite athletes say from Western Europe. Youve just had Berlin, Chicago Amsterdam is this Sunday then you have NYC Marathon after Dublin. Those other four marathons have very deep pockets. DCM does a great job with the budget it has.

Even for mere mortals, 5 mins is a big gap and the nearer the pointy end you get, the bigger a gap it becomes.

I thought last year was a really good event and my impression was that the idea of domestic elites racing each other at the front of it seemed to capture the spectators' imaginations.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Sacksian wrote: »
    Even for mere mortals, 5 mins is a big gap and the nearer the pointy end you get, the bigger a gap it becomes.

Yeah, but their PB might be five minutes faster, maybe they won't be on the day.

I'm just thinking out loud really, but if Dublin marathon is inviting international elites, what would be the benefit of bringing over Endeshaw Negesse?
    Will it increase press coverage or spectator interest in Ireland? Don't think so
    Will more people decide to run, from Ireland or abroad? No
    Will it get more foreign press coverage? Maybe marginally
    Would he cost more to bring over? Hell yes

Its good (I think we all agree) for the best runners in Ireland to be challenged in the race by better runners from abroad. Is there any advantage to those runners being 10 minutes faster than the best in Ireland instead of 5 minutes faster?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

Sacksian wrote: »
    I thought last year was a really good event and my impression was that the idea of domestic elites racing each other at the front of it seemed to capture the spectators' imaginations.

Yes, it was. Great to see the winners photos in most newspapers etc. I think the novelty may wear of though.

Many bemoan the 'demise' of distance running in this county compared to decades ago. By not bringing over top elites is this helping? Is it not a false reality?

Love our hate it, the marathon had changed. Paying elites money to run is now the norm for the vast majority of big city marathons.

Put whatever money used for elites into the Marathon Mission project, give Irelands best better training facilities, gear, training camps etc. Something like that would surely bring on the runners on and lower there times.

Quick Update on the Elite Field for the fall bank holiday showpiece.

Freddy Keron Sittuk: 2:12
    Lezan Kimutai: 2:13
    Peter Somba: debut as far as I am aware although he has ran sub 30 for 10km.
    Paul Koech Kimutai: 62 /2:15 at Eldoret Marathon

plus the token Russian

2014 times:

Freddy Keron: 2.18

Lezan Kimutai: 2.25

Peter Brandon: 1.08 half

Paul Koech: No race history since 2012. A 2.15 in 2011 at high altitude in 2011.

Sergiu Ciobanu: 2.17

Paddy Hamilton: 1.06 half

Gary O hanlon: 2.22

Brian Maher: 1.07 half

Eoin Flynn: 1.10 half

Brian mac mahon: ?

Eddie Mc Ginley: 1.06 half

Barry Minnock: ?

I think that's everyone covered on the men's side.

EDIT: forgot Sokolov: 2.17

Mick Clohissy? Is he running it do we know?

2014 times:

Paul Koech: No race history since 2012. A 2.15 in 2011 at high altitude in 2011.

Sergiu Ciobanu: 2.17

Paddy Hamilton: 1.06 half

Gary O hanlon: 2.22

Brian Maher: 1.07 half

Eoin Flynn: 1.10 half

Brian mac mahon: ?

Eddie Mc Ginley: 1.06 half

Barry Minnock: ?

I think that's everyone covered on the men's side.

Could be fairly close so between a few of the above by the looks of it ? Will the likes of Joe Mac or Christie run it? Sergiu probably in my view favourite -just ,over Freddy, if all goes well on the day for him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 Ghost in Cratloe

2014 times:

Freddy Keron did just enough to win in Belfast, likewise with Kimutai and Brandon in Limerick. For example Brandon outkicked the Claw in the Samsung 10km night run last April in 30 minutes flat. These guys can run faster when required.

Paul Koech Kimutai ran 2.16 last year for the marathon. But more interesting he ran 64 minutes in Brazil last May for the half in extreme humidity. Big Turd would not like the level of your research skills!

Advertisement