Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Must Have Android Apps and Games?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Fluffy88 wrote: »
    I'd like to disclose I'm the other developer and as robtec said we would love any feedback on the App. It's our first Android App so I'm sure there is lots of room for improvement.

There will hopefully be plenty of new features rolling out as we get around to completing them :-)

I hope ye find it useful.

Does your app talk directly to the network website or do you have your own back end server?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

jgbyr wrote: »
    Just tried it there with vodafone account & it worked fine. Personally I found it difficult to see the number of texts left in the top corner.
    Do you plan on providing an inbox, sent folder & message threads or is the plan just to send the message.
    Thanks

I get you on the remaining SMS count, I'll look into making it easier on the eyes. Thanks for the feedback :-)

We don't plan to provide full Inbox and message threads currently. If your running an Android version prior to KitKat the App will insert your sent messages into your sent box so your messages will show up in your other SMS Apps.

The problem with KitKat is if we intended to provide full Inbox and messaging support is we would have to turn SwiftSMS into a full blown SMS App as it would need to handle all SMS functionality since you can have only 1 'default' SMS App in KitKat and later.
    RangeR wrote: »
    Does your app talk directly to the network website or do you have your own back end server?

Currently it all happens right from your phone, we have no back end.

I get you on the remaining SMS count, I'll look into making it easier on the eyes. Thanks for the feedback :-)

We don't plan to provide full Inbox and message threads currently. If your running an Android version prior to KitKat the App will insert your sent messages into your sent box so your messages will show up in your other SMS Apps.

The problem with KitKat is if we intended to provide full Inbox and messaging support is we would have to turn SwiftSMS into a full blown SMS App as it would need to handle all SMS functionality since you can have only 1 'default' SMS App in KitKat and later.

Currently it all happens right from your phone, we have no back end.

Cheers. Personally, I don't need Inbox / full SMS capabilities. I want to install this on my tablet / TV STB to send the odd text when my phone isn't to hand. Currently use Cabbage Ultimate [not many people mention the Ultimate keyword - TL;DR I paid for it :)]

Winner features
    • Easy to use
    • Tablet designed
    • Nice clean interface [Halo?]
    • Integrate with Google Contacts
    • Backup Sent SMS's to GMail, tagged with a user specified label [allow sent messages to be recorded on all devices]

This looks like a good app. Stop adding too many features to the current version. Start adding premium features and maybe earn a few bob. People will pay, maybe not everyone but some.

Thanks for the feedback Ranger :-)

I'm a little confused by your list, are they features that Cabbage Ultimate has and they are the things that will keep you using it?
    I'm guessing you saying they are the good features of SwiftSMS and the last one you mention is a feature request?

Thanks for the support!
    We might consider going Premium if we can deliver some good features that are worth paying for.

Thanks for the feedback Ranger :-)

I'm a little confused by your list, are they features that Cabbage Ultimate has and they are the things that will keep you using it?
    I'm guessing you saying they are the good features of SwiftSMS and the last one you mention is a feature request?

Thanks for the support!
    We might consider going Premium if we can deliver some good features that are worth paying for.

Nah, I only mentioned Cabbage Ultimate as it's the current app I use and suggest to friends and family. However, it's a bit klunky. It doesn't have the features that I mentioned. If I have a new contact, I have to manually add it to CU. While it is relatively easy to use, it can do with a UI brush up. It also doesn't keep sent texts sync'd.

These are options I'm willing to part with cash for.

However, a winner feature is a desktop companion. Cabbage has a desktop client. Can you offer same? And have texts synced between Android and desktop? Now, that WOULD be a killer feature.

I can see these threads split out to a new thread. Sorry for the noise.

Yeah I think I'll have to make a new thread if we are going to continue discussing SwiftSMS.

Glad to see we made 4/5 winning features.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Yeah I think I'll have to make a new thread if we are going to continue discussing SwiftSMS.
    No. To begin with this thread title is not 'Must Advertise Android Apps and Games' - indeed, advertising is forbidden here; full stop. Links to said app snipped.

Also not disclosing a conflict of interests is a big no-no. Don't care if you did it in another thread, you have to do it every time. Which is moot, of course, as you should not be posting in a capacity whereby there would be a conflict of interests in the first place. As such robtec is accordingly infracted.

I've not take out the banning stick this time, but any further promotion of commercial apps, will result in permabans. There's a thread on Mobile Application for Boards members who've written apps, if you want to post there, but here it is not permitted.

Sorry for bringing the thread off-topic.
    I'll create a discussion thread for the App in the Mobile Application forum at some point, thanks The Corinthian!

I'll give robtec a slap on the wrist for you ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Alright lads, is there a good app to merge two videos that you have filmed on your phone together?

niallo24 wrote: »
    Alright lads, is there a good app to merge two videos that you have filmed on your phone together?

I never used anything like that on Android before but a quick search bring up a good few.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

YouTube video editor will do this, if you want to put them online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Check out Magisto which is pretty decent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

For anyone that has bought a tablet for the kids, or lets them use your own, this app locks it down to specific times and apps etc. Just requires a PIN to access settings or the full tablet again. Very handy.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.xooloo.kids

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭madmoe

robtec wrote: »
    Hey :)

For sending web texts I'd use SwiftSMS by DuneDeveloping

It's intuitively android so fits right in :)

Never mind.....
    Cheers,
    Mark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Anyone else having bother with Showbox tonight?

Is it broke or what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Anyone else having bother with Showbox tonight?

Is it broke or what?

Last couple of days for me it's been goosed.

Last couple of days for me it's been goosed.

Fcuk.

I really, really hope they get it up and running again asap. Watched a few flicks last night on it, and had a few in store for tonight.

Anyone know of any decent alternatives please pm me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Fcuk.

I really, really hope they get it up and running again asap. Watched a few flicks last night on it, and had a few in store for tonight.

Anyone know of any decent alternatives please pm me.

Downloading films is still working for me now as we speak, though steaming isn't.

Edit: Kids watching a turkey based animated film and that's streaming fine. App Hasn't updated titles for 2 days though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,827 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Mine is fine, any of ye with UPC? Possible problems with legality issues? Only a wild guess though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭jgbyr

Not working for me either. No images on screen & the app keeps crashing.. I'm with vodafone.

Downloading films is still working for me now as we speak, though steaming isn't.

Edit: Kids watching a turkey based animated film and that's streaming fine. App Hasn't updated titles for 2 days though.

Mines was working flawlessly this morning and last night. Then I cleared data/wiped cache on the App earlier to see if it would force some updates, then wallop.

App just hangs at 'downloading data please wait for a few seconds'. :mad:

Shouldn't have touched it.

Not working for me either. No images on screen & the app keeps crashing.. I'm with vodafone.

Confirmed by the app developers on Twitter.

Server problem. Should be sorted tomorrow.

Phew.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭jgbyr

Confirmed by the app developers on Twitter.

Server problem. Should be sorted tomorrow.

Phew.

It's back.

It's back.

Yep mine too.

Still no new robocop though. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

Trying to download Showbox but keep getting this is not available in your country. Is there anyway around that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭bren2001

Trying to download Showbox but keep getting this is not available in your country. Is there anyway around that?

It is not available on the Play Store (I am presuming you are trying from there).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Hey lads, is there an app that shows actual radar images of weather over Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,254 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Slattsy wrote: »
    Hey lads, is there an app that shows actual radar images of weather over Ireland?

Met Eireann's own app.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

bren2001 wrote: »
    It is not available on the Play Store (I am presuming you are trying from there). Here is the .apk:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=46902171&postcount=15

Thanks Bren - getting an error now saying that the phone is set to block installation of apps not obtained from Google Play

Thanks Bren - getting an error now saying that the phone is set to block installation of apps not obtained from Google Play

Go settings > security and then tick "allow installations from unknown sources". It will install then.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Whats showbox guys, just downloaded it but im in work so wont use it until I have wifi at home.

Whats showbox guys, just downloaded it but im in work so wont use it until I have wifi at home.

It is an app that allows you to watch TV shows and movies. It is very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Kalyke

bren2001 wrote: »
    It is not available on the Play Store (I am presuming you are trying from there). Here is the .apk:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=46902171&postcount=15
    Downloaded it and get a message" cant open file".... Anyone else?

Just a note, this Showbox isn't legal, it's breaking copyright laws or something like that.
    And boards.ie prohibits the discussion of illegal activity so it might be best to not discuss it here...

Just a note, this Showbox isn't legal, it's breaking copyright laws or something like that.
    And boards.ie prohibits the discussion of illegal activity so it might be best to not discuss it here...

Fair point, I've taken the link out of my post.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭lfc2000

Kalyke wrote: »
    Downloaded it and get a message" cant open file".... Anyone else?

Do u have unknown sources ticked in security options. doin tis allows apps outside the playstore to be installed. It's in settings then security and in there tick unknown sources. It should install then.

lfc2000 wrote: »
    Do u have unknown sources ticked in security options. doin tis allows apps outside the playstore to be installed. It's in settings then security and in there tick unknown sources. It should install then.
    Yes, I have.

Yes, I have.

I don't see why as I have just downloaded tis now and it has just installed and plays grand.

I don't see why as I have just downloaded tis now and it has just installed and plays grand.
    Does it have to be rooted?

Download astro file manager. Go to download and try installing from there.

• Advertisement

Does it have to be rooted?

No it doesn't have to be rooted. Mine isn't rooted. The only thing I needed to do to install these apps it tick unknown sources. Try the file manager.

Gotta say I love it :D Thanks Boards you illegal app pushing scumbags :pac:

Download astro file manager. Go to download and try installing from there.
    Works now!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

I downloaded it yesterday, it installed fine but whenever I clicked on something to watch it just said "server error" every time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

Gotta say I love it :D Thanks Boards you illegal app pushing scumbags :pac:

I am not arguing with you on this but I have downloaded apps from the google store and later they have been removed and now they my be illegal. People would expect that if its on the store in the first place its legal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Wow!

I didn't download that app Showbox, so I can't say that it is absolutely quality. I also wouldn't say thanks to the poster who didn't bring it to my attention.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Is there an app to download apk's, kind of like a play store.

My kid has a nabi 2 but play store can't be installed on it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 440 ✭✭alanc2003

there are plenty of other app stores but the most familar would be amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/mas/get/android

Aptoide is your friend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,827 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Apk installer. That's what mine is called,great little app.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement