Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BESS Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Thanks for everyone's help! I've decided to do the 5 subjects I'd need for single hons business, single hons economics or joint honour bus + economics.

Wise choice. Even if you end up hating one of the subjects(as I did with business) you still wont regret it. Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Black_Couch

Yeah I'm doing the same myself. Thanks again. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭Ideo

Right_Side wrote:
    Whats the book review and group report like?

I'm going to do Accounting. Whats that like?

Is there not two other finance courses on top of Applied Finance on offer in 4th year?

If I could, I would do AF in 4th year after your advice but I don't want to do Marketing, OB&C or HR so if I want to do joint honours I have to do it next year.

the book review consists of a 3000 word review on two books from a selected reading list. there all finance based novels, see when genuis failed: the rise and fall of long term capital management; american sucker; the pied pipers of wall street. there all available in the library so should be accesible enough. its not that bad at all, the avg was 69.9 so im not complaining!

the company report is a 3 person group project. its not that bad either, well i didnt find that so. its based on the financial position of a company, so its just ratios and a bit of analysis. we were given a good sample report sp its was a good guideline. both assignments were due on the same day this year which was a bit of a bitch, the company report was like 32 pages long but thats because there are lots of tables and stuff! think next year he will give on each term, so it should be more manageable.

patsy mccabes accounts is a bit hit and miss. if u like accounting you shouldnt have too many problems. i like, sitting close to a 2.1 avg so thats not too bad! his final exam should be nice enough, check the past papers to see what i mean. similar questions from year to year

in 4th year theres 3 financy courses: AP(the 3rd year one), financial markets and the corporate sector(business) and economics of securities markets(econ). dont know much about them other than the financial markets course doesn't exactly follow on from the applied finance course, or so i hear!

jesus, this post is going on too long!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Bartronilic

Any more exam help? Did 6 topics in Pol Sci and made notes out of them. In Te second part of sociology was EASY but ethel's part is quite hard. Gonna do 6 topics from hers and use gddens/tovey and share.

Economics gonna read the book, see how many exam qs i can answer then do the Course Compass Online Tests for hours straight.

Maths/Stats is piss.

Business is piss.

Note: i think they're piss but others migtn't so if people want advice on them i will gladly give it!

how are u studying the maths/stats?

The course compass is a bit of a waste of time I think. They take so long and some of the questions are irrelevant. Also when asked to draw a graph, you can draw it correct and still get it wrong. I think economics will be fine with some study.

I've heard to focus on organisations in sociology. Have to resubmit this essay for a massive maximum of 3% fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

Any more exam help? Did 6 topics in Pol Sci and made notes out of them. In Te second part of sociology was EASY but ethel's part is quite hard. Gonna do 6 topics from hers and use gddens/tovey and share.

Economics gonna read the book, see how many exam qs i can answer then do the Course Compass Online Tests for hours straight.

Maths/Stats is piss.

Business is piss.

Note: i think they're piss but others migtn't so if people want advice on them i will gladly give it!

shush you're starting to scare me.

and maths and stats do the ch. summarys for stats and just do the extra questions from his website for maths

Do you still use begg for macroeconomics? Im racking my brain trying to think of advice to give for jf bess but I really cant remember a bloody thing. I remeber the maths was harder then I expected(given the easiness of the christmas test) and everything else was easier then expected(bus was about as expected. Its pretty predictable, know the readings you cant go wrong). I really think my excessive consumption alchohol on the day/night/following day/following night I finished the exams has wiped all recollection of the previous week from my mind.

Anyone any info on monetary and welfare economics in js. Id appreciate it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

Babybing wrote:
    Do you still use begg for macroeconomics?
    I think they use the same text for Micro and Macro now: Parkin and Powell or something like that...?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 595 ✭✭✭gilroyb

I really liked Mankiw, excellently structured I thought. Never used Begg, it was on the reading list, but I never used it.

As has been mentioned on the ARAM thread, Ruane will be leaving Trinity, so don't choose subjects based on her being the lecturer. This year that advice applies more than usual. There are a good deal of changes in staff on the way, and almost all economics courses are liable to be shaken up somewhat. Make sure to select the course that seems most interesting to you, not the one that has the most appealing lecurer/assignment structure, because these things a liable to change.

gilroyb wrote:
    I really liked Mankiw, excellently structured I thought. Never used Begg, it was on the reading list, but I never used it.

Sorry to hear Ruane is going, thought she was a great lecturer. Very engaging and kept you on your toes. I thought Mankiw was great, Id never done economics before and it gives a great and very interesting introduction. Begg was a horrible book though, nearly destroyed any interst I had in the subject of economics. First years are lucky they got rid of it. Has everybody got there course choices in?

PS I see "Operations Star" Certificates are being handed out tommorow for management 1. That brings me back to primary school:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 pollytcd

I know you can like meet with the lecturers and stuff... but might not be able to make an exam next week and wondering where i stand on this.

Someone said first year bess dont do deferals or repeats... its a myth right>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

to be allowed sit a repeat in most courses you must have at least atteneded your first exam unless youve a med cert or something afaik anyhoo...

pollytcd wrote:
    I know you can like meet with the lecturers and stuff... but might not be able to make an exam next week and wondering where i stand on this.
    The Economics department won't let you defer an exam.
    There are repeats (the Supplementals), but you won't be given a deferral unless you're dying or in hospital or the like.

pollytcd wrote:

There are indeed repeats for JF'ers. As Nietzmeh said, you normally will have to make a serious attempt at the exams. What do you mean by deferrals?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

Yeah, it has to be a very serious reason for missing the exam. Ring/drop in to the BESS office first thing in the morning and talk to them about it

Just wondering if anybody has last year's take home exam questions?
    This was from the take home. Highest in the year might I add, and not mine. 77 i think it got.

nation state redundant.pdf

Doh! was a sample in the lecture slide. Still looking to any of the second year bess heads for last years take home! Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 BessBoy

Help - im confused- and going into senior soph, fingers crosd.
    I now hear that the js course applied finance is available for ss. I didnt take it, but found investment analysis fascinating, despite the best efforts of the lecturer. So, id like to take it. but i have heard that its hard and needs a lot of work.
    has anybody got a basis to comapre it to the course by jim stewart? which is easier/better .

Still looking to any of the second year bess heads for last years take home! Thanks.
    Find it attached.

• Advertisement

europerson wrote:
    Find it attached.

Appreciate it!

One piece of advice for JF sociology students, and to a limited extent politics/economics students. If you happen to be talking for or against the increased nature of interconnectedness among societies, the word is globalisation. If you are trying to argue that it doesn't exist, spelling it with a z kind of ruins your arguement. If you're trying to say it does exist but just adds to cultures, then again spelling it with a z hurts your arguement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,197 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Hahaha thats a fantastic point gilroyb - yeah that sort of mistake would severely damage any argument in relation to globalisation alright :)

That's very clever, all right. Thankfully, I never use American spelling, so I haven't fallen into that trap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭shay_562

If you happen to be talking for or against the increased nature of interconnectedness among societies, the word is globalisation. If you are trying to argue that it doesn't exist, spelling it with a z kind of ruins your arguement. If you're trying to say it does exist but just adds to cultures, then again spelling it with a z hurts your arguement.

I understand the first half (and hee! That's among the funnier mistakes you could make. Or else I just have an intensely sad sense of humour), but the latter makes no sense to me. If you're arguing that globalization has destroyed the nation state (which seems to be the type of question we're getting this year) and completely subsumed our culture, then surely using the Americanized spelling only helps to prove your argument? (hell, you could even call attention to it in the essay to show you know what you're doing when you spell it that way). Especially when all of our Political Science notes are spelled with a 'z'. (I'd check sociology, but that would require hunting through my e-mail and I don't have the energy right now)

only if you were to clearly state and argue that the Americanised spelling was a good thing - as generally on a whole if it weren't backed up, most lecturers would look at it as a bad thing(tm)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

282837691a371075231b319515071l.jpg

Blasted google!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭shay_562

only if you were to clearly state and argue that the Americanised spelling was a good thing

Ah, but that would be a value judgement, and our essays are supposed to be factual and not influenced by our own values. It's a real science, don't ya know. :rolleyes:

Point is, you can call attention to the fact that traditional English spellings are becoming Americanized without saying it's a good or bad thing - it just is.

I'm a purist anyhow - never shall i smell Sulfur! :P anyone who can't understand the idea of a "ph" sounds doesnt deserve my time :D

&#231 wrote: »
    I'm a purist anyhow - never shall i smell Sulfur! :P anyone who can't understand the idea of a "ph" sounds doesnt deserve my time :D
    I used to have big rows with my LC Chemistry teacher over that: apparently, sulfur is the "internationally-recognised spelling among the chemical community". I don't care. It's sulphur whence I come.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

You mean sulphur is spelt with an f in America? That's just wrong! :eek: American spelling is just silly, why the hell would you spell pyjamas with an a and not a y? It's not that hard to understand. :rolleyes:

In actual fact, he contradicted himself, because he used to (rightly) give out to people who said aluminum instead of aluminium.

Sulfur is NOT internationally recognised. I think the British school system may have possibly "standardised", as they put it when the issue came up, by now, but it is most definitely not internationally recognised.

also aluminum drives me spare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

europerson wrote:
    I used to have big rows with my LC Chemistry teacher over that: apparently, sulfur is the "internationally-recognised spelling among the chemical community". I don't care. It's sulphur whence I come.

Hmm, in my physics class, it was sulphur. But then my teacher was a past pupil of the school, so obviously she's had a good enough education to avoid such foolishness ;). 'Sulfur' looks stupid ... if I saw that in a book, I'd never think of sulphur. :rolleyes:

Edited to add the smiley that europerson's quote reminded me I'd intended to put in and forgotten about. Thanks europerson!

That teacher used to say to me that, if I were working in a large international chemical company or the like, people wouldn't know what I was talking about, if I used the word sulphur. I say that stinks like hydrogen sulphide.
    Hermione* wrote:
    Hmm, in my physics class, it was sulphur. But then my teacher was a past pupil of the school, so obviously she's had a good enough education to avoid such foolishness.
    Well, my teacher was a clever man, but he had what one might term eccentricities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

europerson wrote:
    That's very clever, all right. Thankfully, I never use American spelling, so I haven't fallen into that trap!
    Europerson is the annoying person who actually changes the language in MyMail from English (US) to English (UK) upon signing in. It makes no difference, as far as I know, but the man does it anyway.

Actually that really annoys me. cant believe ISS didn't think to set it properly.

I do that as a protest.

shay_562 wrote:
    I understand the first half (and hee! That's among the funnier mistakes you could make. Or else I just have an intensely sad sense of humour), but the latter makes no sense to me. If you're arguing that globalization has destroyed the nation state (which seems to be the type of question we're getting this year) and completely subsumed our culture, then surely using the Americanized spelling only helps to prove your argument? (hell, you could even call attention to it in the essay to show you know what you're doing when you spell it that way). Especially when all of our Political Science notes are spelled with a 'z'. (I'd check sociology, but that would require hunting through my e-mail and I don't have the energy right now)

Well generally sociologists aren't the biggest fans of globalisation, so by spelling it with a z you're basically saying you're just giving in to the evil capitalists without a fight. A few political 'scientists' are fans of capitalism, but of those that are they generally still hate America, so it's best not to remind them of something they hate while their correcting your exam.

• Advertisement

Does anybody know what an LLB is or something like it? I heard u can do an extra year and end up with a law degree after you get your original ba or bbs etc., surely this can't be true? Considering people spend a full 4 years studying to get a law degree.

Does anybody know what an LLB is or something like it? I heard u can do an extra year and end up with a law degree after you get your original ba or bbs etc., surely this can't be true? Considering people spend a full 4 years studying to get a law degree.
    I never heard of this. I suppose if you did exceptionally well in the Law components of BESS, you might be considered for admission to an LL.M., but it seems unlikely, given how little Law is in BESS.

By the way, Black_Couch, an LL.B. is a Bachelor of Laws degree.

Any advice on ss finance would be welcome. please :o

europerson wrote:
    I never heard of this. I suppose if you did exceptionally well in the Law components of BESS, you might be considered for admission to an LL.M., but it seems unlikely, given how little Law is in BESS.

Yeah sounds to good to be true really.

I presume that it's the conversion course in DIT rather than a course within Trinity. It's available to all who have received a(n honours) degree I think. Remember though, a law degree doesn't get you to the bar or qualify one as a solicitor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Exactly all law degree people get is one year less in King's Inns (I'm not sure about Blackhall Place) - and that's only if we take the right subjects and get good enough results in them!

Most judges I heard of all had English/History degrees coming into law courses...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭mizz.yelof!!!

Any help for Political science end of year exam, the notes are confusing. So many terms that can't be found in the notes and can be found in the questions.

political science is actually pretty straight forward when you actually sit down to do it. ok so if the notes scare you then dont look, get out the haywood book and read the relevent chapters for the eassy titles, take ideas from these cahpters for your essay . also a big plus for jac and politics is that you give your own opinion for everything, she loves it. also you cant really be minused marks for what you yourself think so happy days,

and in other news, ECONOMICS, i mean WTF!!! i havnt a dogs notionc whats going on there at alll! :eek: its just so scary, every time i take out the book even the friggin orangness of the book scares me!
    so ok advice guys, if i pass (reletively weel, as in aiming for the 2.2 type area) in my other 4 subjects and actually fail economics exam, is it true that they sometimes pass you anyway and you dont have to do repeats in september???
    like i is uber screwed for econ, i failed both my michealmas and hilary term tests, i just dont get the whole economics thing at all it doesnt work for me.

help le do thoil anyone????

If you fail economics, thats not a disaster. you need, i think, to get an average of a 2.2, not fail anything else. That way you can pass still.

gilroyb wrote:
    I presume that it's the conversion course in DIT rather than a course within Trinity. It's available to all who have received a(n honours) degree I think. Remember though, a law degree doesn't get you to the bar or qualify one as a solicitor.

NO he was actually adamant it was an LLB from Trinity. Hes in for a surprise in 3 years time so when he goes to try and do it.

and in other news, ECONOMICS, i mean WTF!!! i havnt a dogs notionc whats going on there at alll! :eek: its just so scary, every time i take out the book even the friggin orangness of the book scares me!
    so ok advice guys, if i pass (reletively weel, as in aiming for the 2.2 type area) in my other 4 subjects and actually fail economics exam, is it true that they sometimes pass you anyway and you dont have to do repeats in september???
    like i is uber screwed for econ, i failed both my michealmas and hilary term tests, i just dont get the whole economics thing at all it doesnt work for me.

help le do thoil anyone????

well if u failed both term tests and have done no study at this stage ur probably ****ed. Your probably going to be doing repeats but at least u won't be missing out on a holiday if u fail like some people :mad:

Just go through the chapters. THe online notes that come with www.coursecompass.com are helpful if you are stuck. Just study it on the thursday evening and friday aswel. U have time for that. And if your really sorted for politics just study economics the day before that too.

Use sommervilles notes aswel. BUt u kind of have to know the book to understand what hes talking about in his notes as they are fairly condensed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement