Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have any of you ever decided to give up videogames completely?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

I play games and also keep fit. I don't see the need to give them up,I enjoy gaming, like I enjoy books or listening to music so I will keep doing it.

I would give anything up if it became a problem or an obsession but gaming isn't for me.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Harder to find time... And then when you do play them the tendency is for hours to flick by like minutes. That said I'm addicted to BF3 right now and can't wait for the new COD.... Those two series got me back into gaming...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

bluewolf wrote: »
    being addicted to and then dropping wow kinda took a lot of the fun out of games for me

still, i'll be playing skyrim

but they got pandas in it now!!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

bluewolf wrote: »
    being addicted to and then dropping wow kinda took a lot of the fun out of games for me
    Same here. Wish I could go back to being able to really enjoy gaming, but it just doesn't hold my interest any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Same here. Wish I could go back to being able to really enjoy gaming, but it just doesn't hold my interest any more.
    I think it's called getting older.

I used to be an avid online BF2 player until a couple of years ago, I'm trying to force myself into getting into BF3, but it's all meh right now.

...however, had I been 10/12 years of age with the current crop of technology, my head would have just exploded. Back then Space Invaders made me hyperventilate.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

I'll never give them up completely, first game I played was either Syndicate on the Atari, or Pitfall on the C64...cant remember which, but I'll still be playing them in future. These days I just have very little time, my degree course is too intensive to devote too much time away from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

I got a PS3 in 2010 and I still only have 1 game, COD - Modern Warfare 2. I use the thing more for the blu ray player and streaming to the tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Blackdragon

Gave them up in Feb of this year and sold my 360.

So very glad i did it

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭tiger55

I stopped playing games when i was at school. Cant believe adults play video games.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭asif2011

I was really late to the party with GTA iV and got about 33% of the way through and got really bored of it. Can't see me buying GTA 5 when it comes out.

FIFA - same crap year in year out - play it for a week then get bored.

Battlefield Bad Company 2 - kept me going but was very short I thought and not really worth the money

Will probably get Battlefield 3 for Xmas

Probably won't ever give up games for good but I have scaled back alot from my childhood days thats for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Was seriously addicted to PES back in its PS2 heyday. Spent more hours reading and talking about it online than I did doing college work. When it came to summer exam time, I just bit the bullet and stopped playing it for a few weeks.

I'll never give them up completely though, certainly not out of some ridiculous notion that when I reach the age of xx, I'll suddenly be all growed up and won't want to play anymore. Gaming will always be with me in some form or other.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭ha ha hello

21 now.. played the playstation/ps1 to death between the years 1998 and 2002. Decided that summer though that I would stop playing computer games because even at that early stage I felt like I was wasting my life if I spent too much time on them. Apart from playing gta vice city and gta san andreas the very odd time between 2002 and 2005 (and never completing the missions.. just dicking about running people over and jumping off the mountain), I have bascally not played computer games since. I just have no interest in completing a computer game nowadays.. I would feel like I'm wasting time i should be spending doing something else!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Squaredude

usually stop playing games around may and start again at the end of september.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Miss Olenska

I play interactive Scrabble.

Rock and/or roll.

Don't play any video games, not because I don't like them, but because I find them too addictive.

I haven't given up on video games as a whole but have given up on the majority of recent ones, they just don't appeal to me in the same way as the NES or SNES games did. I played Unreal Tournament, after that any FPS I played felt exactly the same so don't see the point. I feel like Cranky Kong sometimes.

On the other hand I love Cut The Rope.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

From the late 80's/90's and Noughties I was always a PC gamer,
    with a CPC464 and 48k spectrum being fore the PC gaming days.
    F19 stealth fighter being the first game I hacked followed by the likes
    of Command and Conquer 1, dune, leaderboard golf and others games were great.
    Over the years things got nice looking with cool FPS and RPG's.
    I spend 3+ years of my life wasted raiding with Lord of the Rings online before
    finally deciding it was a waste of my time.

(I never got into the SNES and console games for me they seemed pretty primitive compared to the
    PC games and even now today they are still pretty crude with blasphemy taking place when
    xbox and playstation rubbish gets ported over to the PC when there is an on screen menu
    telling you to press a button on your controller GRRRrrrr)

Nowadays NO game impress me. Its the same ol ding dong, with predictable story lines & characters.
    nothing is original and most games now are geared towards multiplay and solo games are very short and boring.

There was HUGE hype over Battlefield 3 and while its pretty and the gameplay is fantastic, its the very same as bad company 2, battlefield, and previous other battlefield 1942 etc etc and the same as most other shoot em ups.

Finding nowadays I'm feeling more like playing a stupid browser based game that I can check for a few mins once or twice a day rather than focusing on hours upon hours on gameplay for a shooter or RPG.

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭James__10

I have a ps3 I normally just play fifa 12 but I just get bored of it after a hour or so. Football Manager on the other hand :o I could play that game for 12 hours if I had the chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

Gave them up in Feb of this year and sold my 360.

So very glad i did it

Hows the "real world" going for you? lol

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Blackdragon

Adamantium wrote: »
    Hows the "real world" going for you? lol

Still settling in but so far so good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭keithb93

:DI used to play the 360 for hours and hours everyday but I had to send the xbox in for repairs and since that I get bored after about half an hour. So yeah, Id say ive given them up.
    Although Skyrim might change that :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

Domo230 wrote: »
    Market researchers are aware that the previous generation of gamers are growing up and that there are currently a lack of titles that appeal to the late 20s late 30s age group.

Recently their has been interest in appealing to this demographic since it has been shown that while they make up a much smaller percentage than the younger demographics, they make up the lions share of microtransactions purchased for games (eg DLC content, items purchased in tf2 etc..).

Since game companies are slowly moving towards advertising and microtransactions as the main ways to generate income, we should see the market start to design more games tailored to our age group in the next decade.

I actually think the average gamer is in the 18-35yo demographic and I wouldnt say there is a lack of titles for the grown up gamer now. I think its more of people just grow out of games as they get older. Opposed to lack of demographic games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Adamantium wrote: »
    I have

well at least for the next 3-5 years. Other things to focus on, getting fit, well, university etc

I decided 2 months ago that I wasn't getting much out of it, like how i used to as a kid being able to pour unthinkable hours into the GTA'S, FF'S and MGS'S of yore.......it just got frankly boring and samey

so i went into smyths traded in my collection, except a few choice games, i'll probbaly want to show to grandkids and such and played one last FINAL game that I really foundly remembered:

Final Fantasy 10 on the PS2, 2001.

I complete it this morning, and I got to tell you people, its pure art!:D

After 50 hours, i sat back and thought well I haven't played anything (as a whole) as emotionally charged in 10 years

this is no rose tinted glasses, storytelling and the medium of gaming has stagnated and probably moved backwards(yes bioshock is dung).

Mods don't move, i put it in after hours to get a wider section of the boards .ie users population.

Battlefield...ummmm 3 is out you know. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

Domo230 wrote: »
    Yes the average gamer is in that age span. It's not a case of them growing out of them but that the most of the content available to them does not appeal to them. The wii is a great showcase of a console that contains a lot of games that appeal to an older demographic.

People do grow up and their tastes change (mine certainly have) but evidence has shown that it is possible to appeal to older demographics. However there are currently few titles that target the older gamer.

Actually, if anything the Wii is a great example of how it appeals to younger children. Majority of wii titles are for children. Even Nintendo knows this as all their developed titles are aimed for kids. The wii barely has adult themed titles.

Sure here is a list of the top ten best selling Wii games All 10 games are kids games.

While the PS3 and XBOX 360 games are more adult orientated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I bought a Genesis with 32x converter and games from when I was a lad a few years back and a SNES as well. I play it from time to time.
    Last game I bought was Doom 3 for the PC I think. Have GTA Vice City as well, didn't take too kindly to the ones after that so never bothered with them. Play online scrabble (isc.ro :)) a good bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Used to play a lot when I was younger, never on PC though, only Nintendo/PS/Xbox. Was mad into the GTA games but never had any interest in Metal Gear Solid, Final Fantasy, etc. Don't know why but I just got bored of all games after I finished GTA San Andreas, didn't make a conscious decision to stop, just lost interest overnight.

Didn't play anything for a good while then got an Xbox 360 for GTA4, without a doubt the worst in the series, completely turned me off the series altogether TBH (seriously depressing backdrop and story, 2 or 3 good missions, the rest were woeful). If it weren't for Forza I would have gotten rid of the Xbox after a week. Played Call of Duty and FIFA for a while too but got bored quick enough. Got rid of the Xbox about a year ago and haven't missed it for a second.

Maybe it's because I'm getting older and the interest just isn't there anymore? I'm 23 now, haven't been a regular gamer since I was 17 or so. Gave the Xbox a go but in the year and I half that I owned it I played it about 10 times max.

Saw the trailer for GTA5, looks like a definite improvement with more interesting characters and a much better setting, I'm thinking I might buy a PS3 when it comes out but these days the only game I play is Mario Kart on the Wii the odd time with my little brother and sister :p

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭jk86

tiger55 wrote: »
    I stopped playing games when i was at school. Cant believe adults play video games.

Are you from the past?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

I think the reason for the average gamer being 33 or whatever is they have come on in leaps and bounds faster than we have aged since that initial exposure to.. Centipede or whatever

also, I heard interaction with that screen as oposed to just idly viewing can discourage stroke.. Which my 50yr old uncle had today.. severe; life support :/ so I'll do everything In my power to avoid that.

2-3hr max before bed, mind.. anything more would be inducing a coma

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I gave it up for years, I loved it when I was a kid, finished Mario 64 god only knows how many times.

Got back into it almost 2 years ago, bought myself a 360 and MW2 for X-mas. RDR then cemented it for me. Been playing ever since. Ended up with a PS3 and a bunch of games for it as well when I bought a telly. Uncharted was fecking brilliant. Going through Arkham City now and will be trading that in to get Uncharted 3. I will probably end up getting MW3 for X-mas as well to keep me busy.

It all depends on how busy I am, some weeks I'll play nothing, other weeks I will happily spend every minute I have free moment I have sitting in what I like to call my ''Nerd Corner 3000'' (HD TV, 360, PS3 and Recliner) Usually get a few strange looks when I tell people I'm into gaming, especially guys, apparently girls who are serious about their games are a rare breed. But honestly I don't think I'll ever give it up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭RubyRoss

I only played games when I was a teenager and my brother wasn't at home to kick me off the computer. Since then I've maintained a faint superiority about video games but last week on a whim of nostalgia I downloaded Worms - and I can't stop playing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Ive tried, but minesweeper is so addictive,

Advertisement