Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N8/N25/N40 - Dunkettle Interchange [under construction]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Was Dunkettle part of the Infrastructure Investment mentioned last year by Government?
    Yes, it was confirmed that full funding would be provided.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I emailed Simon Coveney in relation to the Dunkettle Interchange & M28 projects and this is the response I received from Paschal Donohue.

At present, TII is assessing how best to progress national projects included in the transport element of the Capital Plan, including the N8/N25 Dunkettle Interchange and the N28 Cork-Ringaskiddy scheme. The timeframe for progressing individiual projects will be decided once that process is completed.

In the interim I understand TII has allocated a total €1m to the N28 Cork-Ringaskiddy scheme in 2016 which will facilitate the planning process which is currently underway

AugustusMinimus was right. Traffic approaching the Douglas flyover eastbound in the evenings is now almost as bad as the queue into the Jack Lynch tunnel, and I presume when Dunkettle is sorted the freeflowing traffic westbound will cause a similar issue westbound.

The next under-built part of the SRR that will be a hot topic when this scheme is done. The amount of money spent on retrospective upgrades to the N40 is simply obscene.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

marno21 wrote: »
    The amount of money spent on retrospective upgrades to the N40 is simply obscene.

Hello, M50 in Dublin? We had to drop a billion on it to get it up to scratch.

spacetweek wrote: »
    Hello, M50 in Dublin? We had to drop a billion on it to get it up to scratch.
    Ah yeah, but the money spent on the N40 has been to bring up the N40 to the standard of the pre-upgrade M50. The M50 pre upgrade, had grade seperated signalised roundabouts like the N40 does now yet the N40 has had however much spent on it. (Ignoring the new 3 lane sections here)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

AugustusMinimus was right. Traffic approaching the Douglas flyover eastbound in the evenings is now almost as bad as the queue into the Jack Lynch tunnel, and I presume when Dunkettle is sorted the freeflowing traffic westbound will cause a similar issue westbound.

Strange one that, is it the physiological thing of going into 2 lanes from 4 or is it caused by those people that shoot up the East Douglas exit and sneak back into the inside lane?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

kub wrote: »
    Strange one that, is it the physiological thing of going into 2 lanes from 4 or is it caused by those people that shoot up the East Douglas exit and sneak back into the inside lane?

Neither. You have significant amounts of traffic coming from SRR, the Link and Airport Hill. There is simply more traffic than the current arrangement can handle taking into account merging from the Kinsale Roundabout as well.

It will be worse IMO going the other way in the mornings when both the M28 and Dunkettle Interchange opens. Loads more traffic and the M28 merging with the SRR just before the Douglas Flyover. I also find the morning rush hour to be worse and more concentrated than evening which will make this one worse.

I asked a Cork Co Co engineer about this. No plan to do anything with the flyover due to difficult build conditions with the stream having to be dealt with.

Neither. You have significant amounts of traffic coming from SRR, the Link and Airport Hill. There is simply more traffic than the current arrangement can handle taking into account merging from the Kinsale Roundabout as well.

It will be worse IMO going the other way in the mornings when both the M28 and Dunkettle Interchange opens. Loads more traffic and the M28 merging with the SRR just before the Douglas Flyover. I also find the morning rush hour to be worse and more concentrated than evening which will make this one worse.

I asked a Cork Co Co engineer about this. No plan to do anything with the flyover due to difficult build conditions with the stream having to be dealt with.
    The North Ring Rd would be my next move, along with the M20 construction. Would take any traffic using the SRR as an actual Cork BP, along with possibly N27/N28/N71 traffic from 6 to 12 O Clock clockwise rather than anti-clockwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

After the current Cork projects (Mallow relief road, Dunkettle, M28 and Macroom) are done, the M20 has got to be the priority for Cork. Cork cannot wait in the dark ages with no motorway to the third biggest city forever. It would also greatly improve access to Galway, too. Once the M20 is done, Cork will have a proper road not only to Dublin, but all the way up to Tuam as well. That will be massively beneficial to Cork, and will help Cork/Limerick/Galway become a useful counterbalance to Dublin, a kind of 'Western Powerhouse' if you will (similar to the 'Northern Powerhouse' in England, which is actually slowly, but surely, starting to take place with the massive investment in upgrading the rail network between all the main Northern cities and further devolution away from Westminster).

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭annfield1978

Is there any information on the Capital Cost of this scheme?

• Advertisement

Is there any information on the Capital Cost of this scheme?
    Last estimate was €100m.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/100m-dunkettle-interchange-project-given-green-light-231374.html

https://www.kildarestreet.com/committees/?id=2016-06-29a.223

Recent select committee, spokesman for DTTAS Dominic Mullaney says that Dunkettle will start in 2018/19 followed after that by the M28 scheme.

Does anyone know if there's a plan under this scheme to bridge the old N25 under the M8 to provide an alternative route for designation of the N25 to motorway? Such silliness not bridging it back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Does anyone know if there's a plan under this scheme to bridge the old N25 under the M8 to provide an alternative route for designation of the N25 to motorway? Such silliness not bridging it back in the day.

DOes this answer you question?

Bl5npbVCYAAeWTd.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

I'm pretty sure all movements will be separated. A start date of "2018/2019" means late 2018 so another 2 1/2 years before construction.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Also, AFAIK there are no plans to designate the N25 as M25, much as we'd like to see it for 'blue line' reasons.

Also, AFAIK there are no plans to designate the N25 as M25, much as we'd like to see it for 'blue line' reasons.
    I have an actual reason for seeing it as M25, nothing to do with blue lines.

When I drive from Dunkettle to Little Island at 120km/h, I don't want to be driving a few feet away from a cyclist. That's just dangerous. A road that's suitable for 120km/h, and designated as so, same with the Ballincollig BP, should have motorway restrictions applied. If the Ennis BP, M7 Castletown-Nenagh & M8 Glanmire BP are good enough for motorway restrictions then so should the N25.
    tm

Also, the "old N25" I'm talking about is the single carriageway N25 replaced in the 1990s, it no longer exists from the N8/R639 Dunkettle R/A to the LILO for Little Island just east of the Dunkettle Interchange, it would make an ideal alternative route for the M25.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

I have an actual reason for seeing it as M25, nothing to do with blue lines.

When I drive from Dunkettle to Little Island at 120km/h, I don't want to be driving a few feet away from a cyclist. That's just dangerous. A road that's suitable for 120km/h, and designated as so, same with the Ballincollig BP, should have motorway restrictions applied. If the Ennis BP, M7 Castletown-Nenagh & M8 Glanmire BP are good enough for motorway restrictions then so should the N25.
    tm

I don't massively disagree with you, but I can tell you as someone who cycles this route regularly that it's the best option because of a lack of alternative routes. The stretch of "old" N25, or whatever we should call it, through Glounthaune and as far as Carrigtwohill is good quality.

Carrigtwohill-Midleton does not have a suitable secondary road in its current state. Hence no "R" number, presumably.
    The M8 has the good-quality R639 parallel to it, the Ennis M18 has the R458.

You mention cyclists, but to be honest a bigger problem might well be "N" or "L" plate drivers, who also aren't allowed on motorways. But it's fine to not want to drive near a cyclist lol.

I don't massively disagree with you, but I can tell you as someone who cycles this route regularly that it's the best option because of a lack of alternative routes. The stretch of "old" N25, or whatever we should call it, through Glounthaune and as far as Carrigtwohill is good quality.

Carrigtwohill-Midleton does not have a suitable secondary road in its current state. Hence no "R" number, presumably.
    The M8 has the good-quality R639 parallel to it, the Ennis M18 has the R458.

You mention cyclists, but to be honest a bigger problem might well be "N" or "L" plate drivers, who also aren't allowed on motorways. But it's fine to not want to drive near a cyclist lol.
    The N25 from Dunkettle to east of Carrigtwohill was built offline (East Cork Parkway) in the 1990s, it has a 120km/h limit and an alternative route for much of its length. East of there is low quality DC to the R630 roundabout, with LILOs, property access & median crossings. A plan to grade seperate this section and build a parallel alternative route was to begin a few years ago but has since been suspended.

These dual carraigeways may be safer than the old route but they are still no place for cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Carrigtwohill - Midleton was dualled years ago by slapping a second carriageway down next to the one that was there. Shame the upgrade got canned.

The Midleton bypass never gets enough credit.... such a forward thinking bit of road when it was built (DC, low quality now, but staggeringly high quality in the 80s when it was built).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

The N25 from Dunkettle to east of Carrigtwohill was built offline (East Cork Parkway) in the 1990s, it has a 120km/h limit and an alternative route for much of its length. East of there is low quality DC to the R630 roundabout, with LILOs, property access & median crossings. A plan to grade seperate this section and build a parallel alternative route was to begin a few years ago but has since been suspended.

These dual carraigeways may be safer than the old route but they are still no place for cyclists.

But there's actually no road from the Tivoli side of Dunkettle, marno. Sending the traffic through Glanmire is a no-go as it's already heavily congested. North Esk to Carrigtohill is 120kmh, because that's the only bit that a secondary route exists for.

I'm speaking as both a cyclist and a motorist, if you're going from City to Carrigtwohill then the N25 is probably equally safe for cyclists as negotiating the narrow congested roads between Dunkettle House and Glanmire village (L2999). On one you have faster traffic but a wide margin and clear sightlines, on the other you have narrow corners, no margin and mostly 80kmh traffic. It is now signed as 50kmh, but it's not a safe road. Most L and N drivers will go N25, indeed I know of L drivers who avoid the L2999.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,064 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Irish Examiner tomorrow saying work will start in 2019/20.

This is almost ready to go.

Or would be ready to start tomorrow if they had got off their arses when the Capital Plan was announced and got all the pre-work done.

2019 is a joke. This and the N28 dualling are needed for the Port of Cork expansion to go ahead, and now the roads to it won't be complete until 2023 or 2024.

Is there any functioning brain cells at all??

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tails_naf

I just saw the proposal and it appears traffic from Dublin going into the city will have to go towards midelton first, through and overpass and then back towards the city. This seems like madness to me. This overpass for the business Park is already jammed up, forcing every city centre bound car from the m8 to use it surely makes little sense. Is this really the final plan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

tails_naf wrote: »
    I just saw the proposal and it appears traffic from Dublin going into the city will have to go towards midelton first, through and overpass and then back towards the city. This seems like madness to me. This overpass for the business Park is already jammed up, forcing every city centre bound car from the m8 to use it surely makes little sense. Is this really the final plan?

Vast Majority of vehicles will use the South Ring, also I think this design is looking to the future of the North Ring road and Port of Cork being moved to Ringaskiddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tails_naf

Vast Majority of vehicles will use the South Ring, also I think this design is looking to the future of the North Ring road and Port of Cork being moved to Ringaskiddy.

Yes of course the majority will, but my point is its junction at the business Park is already an issue at rush hour. Putting any more traffic through it is surely not ideal. Getting it 90% right for 100 million is a bit of a shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

So many movements will be handled automatically. I doubt there will be much traffic on this one alone.

What is probably need though is a third junction for Little Island at the end where the KFC sign is.

Now that everyone's back and everyone's favourite roads are jammed again, it's no surprise these are still a major issue in the local media.

http://www.eveningecho.ie/cork-news/ibec-calls-major-cork-road-projects-get-underway/2526413/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pigtown

It took me 45 minutes to get through here this morning. I wonder is there anything that could be done in the meantime? Would a P & R from the northside be any relief?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

pigtown wrote: »
    It took me 45 minutes to get through here this morning. I wonder is there anything that could be done in the meantime? Would a P & R from the northside be any relief?

Were you coming from Dublin? I went through about 7.30 and it was backed away up the hill at that time...:rolleyes:

Advertisement