Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else getting a sense that Autumn is here ?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

Anyone else getting a sense that Autumn is here ?

Am, yeah, the leaves browning and falling is a bit of an aul indicator. :p

Nah that's not deemed correct. I'm sure you'll insist it is though, in order to go against the grain as you're so gleefully doing, and as all your banned previous accounts no doubt did also. Go you, you renegade! ;)

It is, though. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭lkionm

Am, yeah, the leaves browning and falling is a bit of an aul indicator. :p

Would have thought you hated Autumn after what she did last year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭branie

Certainly feels like it with the rain

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭cena

I would if the trees woulf change colour like in the states

• Advertisement

lkionm wrote: »
    Would have thought you hated Autumn after what she did last year

Come again, Marge?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭thisonetaken

I always get this way in the fall, ya know, summers gone, the days are shorter, just makes me feel so mop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

Everything's still very verdant anywhere I've been. It's middle August. Bit early for conkers, roaring fires and chilly mornings.

There are / were dead leaves but they fell from lack of water last month.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I love Autumn. No oppressive heat, we get to snuggle up on the sofa in front of an open fire. The weather is miserable so there are fewer kids running around. I love Halloween, could take or leave Christmas though. The evenings are feeling a little Autumnal although the days are still very humid. I've got 9 insect bites at the moment so I'm hoping for a cold snap to kill the bas*ards midges off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Doesn't matter what it says in whatever calendar from whatever era, Autumn starts in September for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭Archeron

I'm finding spiders everywhere and that usually signals autumn. Feckers seem to love lowering themselves down to my head on web strings when I'm in bed this year, must be the in thing in spider circles.

Noticeable chill in the air, people near me have the fires lit so the smell of smoke is about for the first time in ages, seems a little darker than usual and the birds are all eerily quiet.

I love autumn, makes me relaxed and content when I'm inside away from the chill, more awake when I'm outside, and its just a nicer quieter more peaceful time of year.

Ahh Autumn. Apples ripening on the tree and the All Ireland championships drawing to a conclusion. Back to school/college etc. Return of the football. Leaves falling from the tree. Bittersweet sense in so many ways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Autumns awesome

Autumn starts in earnest in late September or when I see my breath in front of me on a cold morning, whichever comes first.

My fave time of year, only marked by the huge man-eating spiders that appear in the house from the end of August onwards. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭TheBegotten

It's the sycamore seeds for me. They've always meant an end to the summer holidays throughout my childhood.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I love a nice dry chilly autumn and winter.
    A bit of crispness in the air is nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30,731 ✭✭✭✭princess-lala

Love the Autumn and seeing the leaves blowing everywhere :D My favourite season!

Everything's still very verdant anywhere I've been.

One of my favourite words :)

I remember a poem that I think had a line that went something like 'August's dying verdant fecundity....' , and whenever I see a garden that has that overblown August look, all extravagant and flashy like woman wearing too much jewelry, I think of the line.

Google doesn't know the poem I'm talking about, but if anyone else does let me know.:)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

I love Autumn and Winter.

We collect up all the fallen leaves and make leaf mold with them.

Great for the garden,the plants and for growing nice fruit and veg too.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Lemsiper

Liberty Caps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

Noticeable chill in the air, people near me have the fires lit so the smell of smoke is about for the first time in ages, seems a little darker than usual and the birds are all eerily quiet.

I love autumn, makes me relaxed and content when I'm inside away from the chill, more awake when I'm outside, and its just a nicer quieter more peaceful time of year.

Happy Christmas :D

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=a8qE6WQmNus&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Da8qE6WQmNus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

I love Autumn too - not a big fan if summer and I hate when September is still quite warm, like it can't make up it's mind. It doesn't feel like Autumn to me yet though, it's still summery to me.

Today I bought a new coat so can't wait until it's cool enough to wear it. I much prefer the clothes you wear in Autumn/Winter and love when the new stuff comes in the shops :)

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    I much prefer the clothes you wear in Autumn/Winter and love when the new stuff comes in the shops :)

Boots!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    I love Autumn too - not a big fan if summer and I hate when September is still quite warm, like it can't make up it's mind. It doesn't feel like Autumn to me yet though, it's still summery to me.

Today I bought a new coat so can't wait until it's cool enough to wear it. I much prefer the clothes you wear in Autumn/Winter and love when the new stuff comes in the shops :)

Here it comes

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bMN3uk7zeBA&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DbMN3uk7zeBA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

I much prefer the summer, the blue skies, heat, the summer vibes in the air and the beaches. Autumn to me is cold, dark and a bit miserable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

I like the autumn as the coolness in the air (our natural climatic state) is back.
    Ya get to put away the tshirts and shorts and other summery attire which you look stupid in and start wearing more sensible Irish clothing like a solid pair of shoes and heavy coat.

The kids are back in harness so things are quieter everywhere. There are no longer hordes of yooves milling around every public place.

Peak holiday season is coming to a close so the price of going away somewhere drops and when you get to your destination, there are no longer hordes of yooves milling around every public place.

The days are no longer oppressively long. The sun no longer goads you at 7pm in the evening to go out and do some lawn mowing or hedge trimming or just something other than sitting down. When its dark at 5 o clock, all you can do is sit down and relax. Great.

Superhero films stop coming out weekly in cinemas and films which are aimed at people over 20 which you actually want to see start getting released.

Christmas is somewhere off in the future. The best bit about Christmas really, the buildup and promise of holidays down the line.

If summer is the binge drinking night out at a club, autumn is the quiet pint in the local beside the fire.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Agricola wrote: »
    I like the autumn as the coolness in the air (our natural climatic state) is back.
    Ya get to put away the tshirts and shorts and other summery attire which you look stupid in and start wearing more sensible Irish clothing like a solid pair of shoes and heavy coat.

The kids are back in harness so things are quieter everywhere. There are no longer hordes of yooves milling around every public place.

Peak holiday season is coming to a close so the price of going away somewhere drops and when you get to your destination, there are no longer hordes of yooves milling around every public place.

The days are no longer oppressively long. The sun no longer goads you at 7pm in the evening to go out and do some lawn mowing or hedge trimming or just something other than sitting down. When its dark at 5 o clock, all you can do is sit down and relax. Great.

Superhero films stop coming out weekly in cinemas and films which are aimed at people over 20 which you actually want to see start getting released.

Christmas is somewhere off in the future. The best bit about Christmas really, the buildup and promise of holidays down the line.

If summer is the binge drinking night out at a club, autumn is the quiet pint in the local beside the fire.

Going to go and see "2 Guns" during the week with my missus.

Looks like a good film.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

Speaking of Autumn music I happened on this one last night. Lovely tune.

Advertisement