Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else getting a sense that Autumn is here ?

Options
  • 18-08-2013 5:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭

Noticeable chill in the air, people near me have the fires lit so the smell of smoke is about for the first time in ages, seems a little darker than usual and the birds are all eerily quiet.

I love autumn, makes me relaxed and content when I'm inside away from the chill, more awake when I'm outside, and its just a nicer quieter more peaceful time of year.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭WellThen?

Thanks for that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

WellThen? wrote: »
    Thanks for that

You're welcome. Hope you have a lovely Autumn :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Frosty McSnowballs

Badgers always know first

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Autumn starts when? 21st of September? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Galaxie

Badgers always know first

It's an art of theirs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

people near me have the fires lit
    :eek:
    Ah the cold-when-it's-not-cold nut-job. It's still really mild! And it's set to get warm again this week. It is getting darker earlier but it's still bright a good long time. Feels like summer still IMO.

Love autumn too though. I don't think it gets really autumnal until well into September/early October though. Weather nearly always seems to be summery in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

It's gonna be well hot mid week according to the amazing mt in the weather forum, so ye can shove autumn where the sun don't shine :) ( dreading it)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

Autumn is my favourite season. I love the chilliness of the air, like OP says, keeps me awake when i'm outside and I just prefer the cold than the dreeding heat ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Can't wait, best time of the year

:eek:
    Ah the cold-when-it's-not-cold nut-job. It's still really mild! And it's set to get warm again this week. It is getting darker earlier but it's still bright a good long time. Feels like summer still IMO.

Love autumn too though. I don't think it gets really autumnal until well into September/early October though. Weather nearly always seems to be summery in September.

Yeah I think the summer confuses a lot of people and as soon as there is a noticeable drop in temperature they think its no longer warm so the fires must be lit. I just put a jumper on myself.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 46 Keith300

Noticeable chill in the air, people near me have the fires lit so the smell of smoke is about for the first time in ages, seems a little darker than usual and the birds are all eerily quiet.

I love autumn, makes me relaxed and content when I'm inside away from the chill, more awake when I'm outside, and its just a nicer quieter more peaceful time of year.

It's been Autumn since August 1st.

dharma200 wrote: »
    It's gonna be well hot mid week according to the amazing mt in the weather forum, so ye can shove autumn where the sun don't shine :) ( dreading it)

I heard someone say there was gonna be another little heat wave but I was hoping they were wrong. :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

2 more weeks and all the kids are back in school.

So some wellcome peace and quiet in places like Howth and Malahide.:)

as soon as there is a noticeable drop in temperature they think its no longer warm so the fires must be lit.
    Although I usually hate the saying: it's very Irish. :)

Irish women in particular. Absolute nutters among us when it comes to temperature!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Russian Blue

Autumn? Its more like winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭rustedtrumpet

Autumn sense was tinglin also. Must be the way the sun is sat in the sky in the evenings

Keith300 wrote: »
    It's been Autumn since August 1st.
    Nah that's not deemed correct. I'm sure you'll insist it is though, in order to go against the grain as you're so gleefully doing, and as all your banned previous accounts no doubt did also. Go you, you renegade! ;)
    Autumn? Its more like winter.
    Yeh sure it is.

They're really coming out in their droves today. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Although I usually hate the saying: it's very Irish. :)

Irish women in particular. Absolute nutters among us when it comes to temperature!

that would be all down to those pesky hormones. de women have millions of em.

screw you autumn and winter to for that matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

not that bad yet here in the west, I only recognize its autumn when the chestnut trees outside the house start to litter the road with conkers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

Nah that's not deemed correct. I'm sure you'll insist it is though, in order to go against the grain as you're so gleefully doing, and as all your banned previous accounts no doubt did also. Go you, you renegade! ;)

Yeh sure it is.

Well he is right in fact, according to Gaelic tradition autumn starts Aug 1 and lasts till Nov 1. The met service allow for tempture lag and consider Sept 1 the start of autumn.
    It's to do with us using the word autumn to refer to the old harvest time which was Aug to Oct.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭lkionm

Oh. Did the change in weather change your mood?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Autumn starts when I have to put on a fire of an evening to put my feet up in front of. Been doing that for two weeks now.

Autumn starts when I have to put on a fire of an evening to put my feet up in front of. Been doing that for two weeks now.
    Cold freak!

I haven't had the heating on since May. Maybe I'm a warm freak!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Cold freak!

I haven't had the heating on since May. Maybe I'm a warm freak!
    Not really, it just makes more sense to be naked in front of a glowing fire than wearing your duffle coat in front of a dead one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I love autumn. I love when it gets dark early and there's a chill to the wind. I love closing the door at the end of the day and curling up on the sofa, with the heating on and my pj's on, glass of red wine in hand (though I don't need the seasons to be an excuse for that).

I love the build-up to Halloween and Christmas (typed small so you won't all batter me).

I just love the cosiness of it all. I have enjoyed our summer, though, which surprised me because I'm not a fan of the heat.

I think because I had time to get used to it; we were out most nights with music on and enjoying a glass of wine (Jesus now I sound like a lush).

LOVE IT!
    .................Oh, and Autumn started on August 1st :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Me gusta

Not really, it just makes more sense to be naked in front of a glowing fire than wearing your duffle coat in front of a dead one.

There's definitely a nip in the air

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

It's my favourite season: one of mortality. When much of nature is paradoxically at its most colourful and fecund because it is about to die.

I think I need to knock this craft beer on the head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

like OP says, keeps me awake when i'm outside

Are you narcoleptic?

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭EB_2013

I haven't noticed the chill at all. It might not be as warm as earlier in the Summer but its still mild out. The only change is that the nights are getting longer and leaves are starting to fall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

The leaves are changing to a beautiful brown colour and starting to fall.

Advertisement