Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SBR Challenge 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Oryx wrote: »
    C'mon shell, 10k or so to go...

I cannot even imagine how she feels being that close to done!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Through 33.5 and pacing nicely.

Congrats on your result on what I am told was a very tough day out. Bravo, hoochie!

Add another IronHoochie to the boards list!! Congrats Shell to Run!!! Very well done - you must be over the moon!! :)

Could the powers that be please change my Goal Race to "IM Maryland"? I was able to change it in the month of July, but no such luck on the main page. Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Shell to Run

Thanks for the support guys. Well thats it done, first IM complete in fourteen and a half hours. My goal was to come in under the fifteen hours so a happy camper. The main challenge for me was the bike and a number of issues on the day compounded my woes, but hey thats IM.
    I am delighted to have it done as it is a major sacrifice on family life. The two weeks before the event were all consuming with IM preparation.
    IM UK is an awesome event, the swim was idyllic, clear water and the new bike course was very tough but the support was incredible. The run course is well broken up into four sections and again fantastic support en route.
    Looking forward to enjoying the rest of the summer and who knows DCM maybe on the cards!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Well done Shell, great achievement. You are a tough lady.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Pmaldini

that's me done for the month, had a big day planned for today but came off the bike last night and am nursing a few nice cuts and bruises, with only 3 weeks left to IM I am going to wrap myself in cotton wool:(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Pmaldini wrote: »
    that's me done for the month, had a big day planned for today but came off the bike last night and am nursing a few nice cuts and bruises, with only 3 weeks left to IM I am going to wrap myself in cotton wool:(

heal up. well done on the numbers, looks like the work is done. best of luck with it.

expecting another big set of numbers to come in. Fazz surely has some big numbers to add in there, given where we are in the year

mossym wrote: »
    heal up. well done on the numbers, looks like the work is done. best of luck with it.

expecting another big set of numbers to come in. Fazz surely has some big numbers to add in there, given where we are in the year

cheers mossym, scuppers my plans for the next few days but it could have been a lot worse, and I agree on Fazz, I'd say they will be pretty impressive numbers when he posts

• Advertisement

cheers mossym, scuppers my plans for the next few days but it could have been a lot worse, and I agree on Fazz, I'd say they will be pretty impressive numbers when he posts

Thank god its nothing worse than bruises!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

scuppers my plans for the next few days but it could have been a lot worse

Glad to hear it's nothing major. Hard to believe it's only 3 weeks away!!!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

There'll be a queue on Monday for the BIG weekend updates from at least 2 of us :D

Sorry to hear about the off Pmaldini, hope all is well.

pgibbo wrote: »
    Glad to hear it's nothing major. Hard to believe it's only 3 weeks away!!!! :eek:

ya unreal, where did the time go, hope the training is going well for you

Mike, can you unlock august before you head off carrying akw around the cork/limerick mountains? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

Oh boy! I'm desperate to log my 40min turbo today!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Soreeeee :o

Opened the rest of the year to avoid this happening again! At least you will have a weekend's worth to put in now :)

Happy logging :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Im first OA!! (For a short while no doubt!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

Bambaata wrote: »
    Im first OA!! (For a short while no doubt!)

Just entered my August totals. Balance has returned to The Force. I'm sure it's the first time I have been first overall. It was a long time coming. I expect Fazz will be along with an update soon to knock me off my perch though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Logged some swimming from last night. Tried 100m kicking at the end of my session and got the worst cramp I've ever gotten. Note to self, after not being able to kick for 4 months you need to ease yourself back into it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

zico10 wrote: »
    Just entered my August totals. Balance has returned to The Force. I'm sure it's the first time I have been first overall. It was a long time coming. I expect Fazz will be along with an update soon to knock me off my perch though.

I've really neglected my online updating as of late that's for sure!

2 weeks in Thailand didn't do much for my July figures but I kept fitness with 8 or so hours a week anyway.

Must check my monthlies soon and update when I can to see where I'm at.
    Knowing you though Zico, I'd say you are still up top!

All on track? Last build before Kenmare?

Fazz wrote: »
    I've really neglected my online updating as of late that's for sure!

2 weeks in Thailand didn't do much for my July figures but I kept fitness with 8 or so hours a week anyway.

Must check my monthlies soon and update when I can to see where I'm at.
    Knowing you though Zico, I'd say you are still up top!

All on track? Last build before Kenmare?

See, I was right. You did go top!

Hope you enjoyed Thailand and any warm weather training you managed to squeeze in.

I've been off work since the start of July and I've had plenty of time to train. It remains to be seen if I've been spending the time wisely though. I don't know if I've struck the right balance between bike and run training, but I won't make any drastic changes at this stage. I'm not going down to Kenmare, doing the half up in Groomsport on Sunday instead. That will give me a better idea of where I'm at. I've been taking it easy this week in the build up to Sunday. Then I'll ramp it up again on Monday starting a three week build, which will finish with a mock race day on 5/6th September.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

See, I was right. You did go top!

Hope you enjoyed Thailand and any warm weather training you managed to squeeze in.

I've been off work since the start of July and I've had plenty of time to train. It remains to be seen if I've been spending the time wisely though. I don't know if I've struck the right balance between bike and run training, but I won't make any drastic changes at this stage. I'm not going down to Kenmare, doing the half up in Groomsport on Sunday instead. That will give me a better idea of where I'm at. I've been taking it easy this week in the build up to Sunday. Then I'll ramp it up again on Monday starting a three week build, which will finish with a mock race day on 5/6th September.

Thailand was amazing, and the heat and bit of warm weather training I did was class too. Ran on a 500m track there which was fun, one of only a few in the world apparently.

Came back refreshed and launched into my last big block.
    Groomsport is a good idea, works well timing wise for you unlike Kenmare for me but so be it.
    I'm still not sure if I can fit my last big brick - aka mock race day in as I'm prioritising some other workouts at the mo which are paying good dividends.
    Not overly concerned if I don't, I know a lot swear by it, but I've done a 5 hr bike at just below IM watts and ran off it. I don't see a whole lot of value in doing a 2hr run off a 5hr bike, will leave that for race day.

Tricky to know the balance like you say, you're bike does look a little on the low side but may creep up this month. All about the quality anyway and your run volume is well up there so will carry across no doubt.
    What works for one doesn't work for others as I've learned the hard way this year so stick to your plan, I'm sure you know if it's working and on track.

Best of luck on Sunday! Heard they changed the course so no more stopping at lights. Times prob won't compare to previous years but hopefully some competition up there for you to benchmark off.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Shell to Run

Just been updating for September and am happy to say I swam 15.9k ALL in OW. How will I ever return to the pool:eek:

5km swimming to go and i'll get the last milestone I'm likely to get, swim silver. too far away from the others to get there.

Serious question for folks. Are the gold levels too high? only 5 golds across the whole board, with only 1 or 2 more likely to be added. Run especially, only 1 gold and only 4 silvers. given the run volumes some here put in that seems surprising.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

There was the same discussion last year...I think it should stay as is- Gold should only be got my a small minority that put in huge volumes of training, there was only a couple of golds last year too- all hard earned!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

mossym wrote: »
    Run especially, only 1 gold and only 4 silvers. given the run volumes some here put in that seems surprising.

I think the gold targets are fine, to your point i think it speaks volumes that i am still sitting in 4th place on the run with 75% of the year gone and i have not been running in 30% of that timeframe.

If you look at most they are only running 30-35kms a week which is very low.

I will hit gold on the bike and would have likely hit the other two if i kept swimming and running. IMO gold are more than realistic to achieve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Zico- half a million m's in the water for 2014- thats the only figure that impresses me, well done man. There's a bottle of Bordeaux likely if you don't drown first from chlorine poisoning;)

Seriously impressive figures all round!

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Zico- half a million m's in the water for 2014- thats the only figure that impresses me, well done man. There's a bottle of Bordeaux likely if you don't drown first from chlorine poisoning;)

Seriously impressive figures all round!

I saw before your edit you had me credited with half a million kilometres. For a mathematician, that was some pretty appalling sums. :D
    Thanks though.

I'm gone into overdrive with the swimming now. Hoping to get to take it up a notch or two this winter, then hopefully I'll be able to maintain that form into next season.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

I saw before your edit you had me credited with half a million kilometres. For a mathematician, that was some pretty appalling sums. :D
    Thanks though.

I'm gone into overdrive with the swimming now. Hoping to get to take it up a notch or two this winter, then hopefully I'll be able to maintain that form into next season.

Brain is dead from more complex maths, so half a million km is the target for next year ;)

Good to see your swim progress, and your dedication.

Advertisement