Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

SBR Challenge 2014

Options
  • 31-12-2013 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭

Hi All, Since its is almost 2014 in Mr Creosote Kiwi land and I'm heading out partying shortly the 2014 Challenge is open for Business :)

The big difference this year is that there is now a monthly league!
    The overall challenge and targets are still the same but each Month there will be a fresh new SBR Challenge. Fazz and RC may finish top of the pile again but people peaking for races or doing a focused block of work might taste that elusive gold in a particular month and even take some serious scalps in the process :D

Other small changes
    - You can enter time per discipline now
    - Enter your Goal Race instead of goal distance
    - The bronze,silver,gold targets for "other km" is the same as the swim targets. Other km is simply any non SBR kms you clock up like rowing, kayaking, cross country skiing etc...

What do I do with the challenge?
    Just copy this link to your browser or your google drive.

Only the current month will be available for you to add your data. Fill in as much data as you like. The overall Challenge will update automatically. Please just add your name to the bottom of the list. Please DO NOT DELETE a row from the challenge. Some people may drop out during the year and if you want to remove all of your data from the challenge please put a note on the thread or PM the Mods to help (Thank you in advance!)

Only add your monthly data to the challenge. If you join the challenge later than January you have 2 options

1) PM me or leave a note on the thread and I can open temporary access to the other months. Same for anyone wanting to edit previous months etc.. You can enter your monthly data and the corresponding rank for each month will adjust itself.
    2) (The lazy way :rolleyes:) Just enter your yearly data on the current month. However since it would be unfair on other posters, you will be assigned the lowest rank plus the lowest rank of the previous months. Normal ranking will apply from the next month. Sorry but some may be having their best month and having fun and we don't want to wreck that :)

What are the targets?
    For the Year same as 2013
    Bronze targets: Swim 100km/Bike 2000km/Run 800km
    Silver targets: Swim 200km/Bike 4000km/Run 1600km
    Gold targets: Swim 400km/Bike 8000km/Run 3000km

For a Month its approx 1/12th of those
    Bronze targets: Swim 9km/Bike 137km/Run 67km
    Silver targets: Swim 17km/Bike 334km/Run 134km
    Gold targets: Swim 34km/Bike 667km/Run 250km

How does the Scoring work?
    Much much simpler this year :D Simple sum of your monthly overall ranks across the year. Lower score = Higher Rank :) It is the same for each individual month too, so if you can't knock Fazz or Raccoon Queen off their perch over the whole year, go all out for glory in a month!!

Happy New Year to all :D
    Wishing you a year of smart training, fun races and PBs!

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

For a Month its approx 1/12th of those
    Bronze targets: Swim 9km/Bike 137km/Run 67km
    Silver targets: Swim 17km/Bike 334km/Run 134km
    Gold targets: Swim 34km/Bike 667km/Run 250km

Makes all golds seem so easy...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Class work!! Well done to MCOS & his minions.

Format looks great and I'd even suggest a further tweak. Leave the S/B/R colums as totals which encourgages us to fill in the data fields to the right hand side of the sheet.

Regardless, Happy New Spreadsheet to all of you!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭joey100

I'm going to give this a go this year, but because I'm completely computer illiterate just wondering would it be best to give a fools (idiot's) guide to updating it? Is it as simple as opening the document adding my name and then closing it? To update to I just add my figures into the columns and then just close it?

Other thing I was just wondering was about using the turbo? It doesn't give me a read out for distance covered, is there an agreed distance per hour spent on the turbo? Don't want to be claiming additional kilometres!

Thanks for putting this up and keeping it going, looks like a lot of work and can see it being useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

Looking good. I'll take advantage of favourable timezone differences to post an early lead! Too lazy for a swim or bike though.

For turbo I just take an average of 30kph to work out distance. I do so little it doesn't make much difference though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Can I join even though I will be only biking till March when our pool opens again? Not sure when I'll get back running.

Oh also thanks for setting this up again MCOS and Happy New Year everyone :-)

• Advertisement

Turbo you just make an honest guestimation...long time since I did a turbe session but I would have averaged around 25kph when I last did one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

@AKW - nice idea. But those columns are optional. Could reverse the order of next year and have total far right auto filling etc.. If I changed that this year folks would still fill in total rows and mess up the auto fill. Every year I try to improve it and set it up to take care of itself as much as possible.

@Herc ... The Lead :D

@Solobally - of course. The good thing about this year is that when you do start running again you will see your monthly rank that month improve :)

@RC - yep turbo is an estimate if you don't have a monitor. I use an estimate as my average rolling speed on the road (Not TT etc)

@El D - nice pace for a new years day run!

@All - the "#" column by the way is to record number of sessions per discipline. A few used this last year as S/B/R/X

• Registered Users Posts: 1 bagzie

Great Idea guys and great work putting it together. Been watching this forum from the outside for far to long. Just need to clock up the miles now.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

i think it looks great, but then i should :)

well done on getting it live MCOS, fair play on the effort.

First entry in. Put some numbers in last years but not sure how accurate they were, pretty sure a lot were missing. WIll be updating much more regularly

First swim Km's of the 2014 table logged, may be my only claim to fame,and swim will be all i have for another while tillthis hamstring heals. it'll do for now though..:)

Lots of lead changes day one but finishing the day on top

Jackyback & Solobally8. Great to have you both back :)

First monthly bronze should be up by the weekend, closest to it is Solobally8!

• Advertisement

perhaps a silly question, but can other time be used for non distance related excercise? say core work? wouldn't have any km associated, but would be handy for some to track monthly corework totals and see how consistent they are

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Hey kids! I thought I might join in on the fun this year, but after two efforts to add my name I obviously better stick to the pool and not anything computer related as I think I have failed miserably. Could someone help me? And while you're at it, color me pink please!!! ;)

Edit: I guess I'm not as computer challenged as I thought - got me-self up and running and in the right color. Let the games begin! Whoop whoop!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

I'll play this year. In marathon mode right now, so it might not be until April before I log any distance on the bike. I can't afford to take them same laissez-faire approach to swimming, so I won't neglect that.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Pmaldini

I'll give this a go. i've been lurking around the forum for a while getting inspiration from all the training logs, looking forward to the new year and the scary amount of training ahead

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Hey kids! I thought I might join in on the fun this year, but after two efforts to add my name I obviously better stick to the pool and not anything computer related as I think I have failed miserably. Could someone help me? And while you're at it, color me pink please!!! ;)

Edit: I guess I'm not as computer challenged as I thought - got me-self up and running and in the right color. Let the games begin! Whoop whoop!!
    Welcome back, the other hoochies better watch out. It will be interesting who takes it each month.

Oh and I had it auto formatted to turn all regular hoochies pink as soon as they entered ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Mike, did you post somewhere about giving a bottle of bubbly to the winner? Because I offered something similar a couple of months back for the 2014 winner of the swim category- I'll stand by it, swim winner gets a nice bottle of pricey French vino (caveat- must be a member of TI;))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

I will give a hamper to the highest bike nos for 2014. Based on being a TI member and having completed at least 3 tris in the year. Don't want cyclists coming in and taking a handy prize!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

I will give a hamper to the highest bike nos for 2014. Based on being a TI member and having completed at least 3 tris in the year. Don't want cyclists coming in and taking a handy prize!!

Oh it's on.

Now, where did I leave my bike??

Just to paraphrase JB's offer.

I will give a pair of running shoes to the highest run nos for 2014. Based on being a TI member and having completed at least 3 tris in the year. Don't want runners coming in and taking a handy prize!!

AKW wrote: »
    Just to paraphrase JB's offer.

I will give a pair of running shoes to the highest run nos for 2014. Based on being a TI member and having completed at least 3 tris in the year. Don't want runners coming in and taking a handy prize!!

3 tris...sh*te that means I actually have to cycle. Do 3 aquathlons count? ;)

• Advertisement

3 tris...sh*te that means I actually have to cycle. Do 3 aquathlons count? ;)

In like Flynn!!

To answer your question, no :p

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭KentuckyPete

Thanks for doing this again Mike - awesome spreadsheet - maybe we should put in AG category too? It'll be Boston Boston Boston for me up to late April so I'll have a very unbalanced score...

Well, since we're all being so generous about things that I don't qualify for:mad:, I'll put up a complete kit of new swim suit, goggles, kickboard, pull buoy, PLUS unlimited use of my gorgeous outdoor pool to the highest swim numbers for 2014. Caveat: must be a member of the USAT and complete at least one tri on US soil. :D

Welcome back, the other hoochies better watch out. It will be interesting who takes it each month.

Oh and I had it auto formatted to turn all regular hoochies pink as soon as they entered ;)

I think you can do better than that, right girls? ;)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I think you can do better than that, right girls? ;)

I shouldn't be pink. Irregular hoochie.

Oryx wrote: »
    I shouldn't be pink. Irregular hoochie.

Still haven't sorted your dietary issues, eh? ;)

the autoformatting of the cells for the pink for the "hoochies" was one of your nicer touches.

i also saw you had it autoformatted to have one persons name move to a smaller font so they were smaller then everyone else. Who were you targeting with that one? :D

Well, since we're all being so generous about things that I don't qualify for:mad:, I'll put up a complete kit of new swim suit, goggles, kickboard, pull buoy, PLUS unlimited use of my gorgeous outdoor pool to the highest swim numbers for 2014. Caveat: must be a member of the USAT and complete at least one tri on US soil. :D

DD you are an honorary member and qualify through boards, so don't worry if you win shoes you will get them.

(pool sounds nice :) )

AKW wrote: »
    DD you are an honorary member and qualify through boards, so don't worry if you win shoes you will get them.

(pool sounds nice :) )

Aw, thanks. :) And I will waive the USAT and completing a tri on US soil thing for you. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Still haven't sorted your dietary issues, eh? ;)

Funny :|

Advertisement