Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When was the last time you made a call in a phone box?

Options
  • 10-06-2008 8:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

I have only used a call box once in the last 10 years and that was when I forgot my mobile. Outside Ennis one got demolished in a car crash, Eircom never bothered to replace it. Have phone boxes got any use in today’s world other than for mobile illiterate old folk and drug dealers that want to remain unanimous?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

When I go abroad to ring home.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Emergencies, tourists with dodgy network problems, people forgetting phones (like your good self), auld yokes who don't have phones, etc.

A nessecity, just not as common a need for them as say 20 years ago, or even 5-10 years ago. They should be kept up and replaced when broken though, eircom have a duty in that respect. Mobile phones aren't compulsory.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

I popped out to the shop for two minutes a few months ago and didn't bother to bring my phone or keys as my flatmate was there, he left though and locked me out so I had to use a payphone to ring someone to get keys.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

...........remain unanimous?

????

Haven't used one since holidays in the states last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Hmmm, it's been a few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

About a year ago.
    I dropped my mobile in college, broke it, stayed out all night and stopped into a payphone on the way home the next day to call in sick to work.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Must have been on holidays a few years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Do they still make those Eircom callcards? They have credit on them already and they are designed for phoneboxes.
    Were very useful, it saved the need for exact change

I wonder if I asked a shop assistant for them if they'd have a clue what I wanted

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

We had a few in the shop I worked in over a year and a half ago, they never sold one and are still on display behind the counter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I once slept in a phone box with push bike wedged between the phone and the roof. (Wheels removed) Was drunk! Listowel Festival in the late 70ies :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Cannot remember anybodies phone numbers these days so would be unlikely to be of much use if I had lost my phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

i actually saw someone using one today and thought it was a bit strange!

i couldn't use one if i wanted to cos i don't know any numbers either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭iFight

Every time i'm away - don't really use them at home though. Coincidentally, i went looking for one today, but couldn't find one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

On a busy street they make an excellent quite room to make a mobile call.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

been a few occasions since ive been in nz that i've wanted to use one... but the vast majority, except the ones that are inside shopping centres (i can' tbring myslef to call them 'malls'), are card onlys. bit feckin useless if you only have $1/$2 change on ya :angry:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

Years and Years, but had a good snog in one a while ago when the OH and I got caught in the rain and squeezed into one for shelter;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

Never.They make great toilets mind you:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Probably when they were still 'Telecom Eireann'

Thankfully...
    gixerfixer wrote: »
    They make great toilets mind you:)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I recall there was a big hullabaloo in England a couple years ago, because BT wanted to shut them down- no money in them- but Labour wanted them as a public service.

Cant remember how it ended..?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Jigsaw

I used one yesterday when I was trying to answer Morpheus' call. Damn agents all over the place too, and he accidentally sent me in the wrong direction.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

used one today to call yore ma

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I use them regularly enough. Don't have a mobile and regularly get punctures on these ****ty, glass-strewn roads, so they come in fierce handy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Think it was when the phone was still the old style 10p jobbie i.e many moons ago.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

There is a requirement that telecom providers provide a certain number of public phone boxes.

Its a statutory obligation,thats why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Probably 2000.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

August 1994 I believe...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

According to someone on Moncrieff (Newstalk) today the minimum charge for a local call in phonebox now is a euro. I can't remember the last time I was in one. Maybe Germany in the late nineties.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

used them a few times from airports, and when i freaked out that time and ended up in donegal. i found about 8 phone boxes in one of the villages/towns there. not one worked AND had all the glass intact. they either worked and you couldnt hear, or they didnt work, but the traffic sounded dimmer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Due to the mobile phone world ,they are slowly getting rid of the red phone boxs in britain (against the wishs of many) Along with the red post boxs and double deckers the come to resemble ,well .......Britishness .

They are now becoming collectors items specially in the USA .

I still use them in the noisy city for moements of quiteness and to keep grounded and in touch the old fashioned way , just the way mother earth wanted us to .;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭brazilicious

i was never tall enough...then i got a nokia...

Advertisement