Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lady that weight trains feeling my shoulders starting to bulk

Options
  • 12-10-2014 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭

hi everyone I love my weight training but lately I feel my shoulders in particular are beginning to widen which I don't really want I want the small lean look. is it as simple as just not training shoulders to help stop and somewhat rectify this what exercises should I avoid. or should I lift lower weights higher reps in the shoulder area. I'm weight training a couple of years now so it's not like I've just woken up with this I'd say its been a very gradual increase that I'm only starting to notice now. it is definitely from muscle not fat I can see the definition. thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭elsy

can I just add the past few months I've included the likes of cleans and jerks in my workout using a 25 kilo barbell could these be causing it

• Registered Users Posts: 17 stevehawk1

Dear Elsy..
    it is a very famous myth that weight training makes the lady bulky,,
    first of all the weights that you should carry are not enough to tear the muscle tissues to rebuild it and hence to have a huge muscle mass
    number two the Pro female body builders took special supplements plus special hormones injection to have such muscles mass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭tenifan

Op, 25kg is going to build your shoulders a bit.
    Having said that, is it a bad thing? Good posture, a body in proportion, with shoulders that support the exercises you like doing... If you have a trainer you might ask them for their opinion on your shoulders (too big/just right) and possibly change your workout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭generic2012

Well done, many men have tried and failed at that.

Training for a couple of years? Yes, stopping shoulder exercises will help with your issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,106 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

stevehawk1 wrote: »
    first of all the weights that you should carry are not enough to tear the muscle tissues to rebuild it and hence to have a huge muscle mass
    It has absolutely nothing to do with weights not being heavy enough to stimulate growth. If that were true, then a small skinny guy would never be able to build muscle.

It's down to differences between male and female endocrine systems. Plain and simple.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Could it be that they have stayed the same size while the rest of you has got leaner?

It's quite hard for females to get bulky from doing weights unless you are eating a lot.

Have you taken before and after photos?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭guile4582

I say bulk away!

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Could it be that they have stayed the same size while the rest of you has got leaner?

It's quite hard for females to get bulky from doing weights unless you are eating a lot.

Have you taken before and after photos?

I would also say this is the case. Nobody ever got swole accidentally :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭tastyt

Try doing the clean by itself for a while, leaving out the jerk/press and see if that really is an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

OP look on the bright side when the 80s fashion return you will save a small fortune on shoulder pads.

• Advertisement

thanks for the replies when I say bulk I don't mean hugely I just feel they are widening a little I'm very small on my top half waist chest ect. maybe it is just the drop in bodyfat giving that perception to me. I'm working hard to get the body I want so I'm just trying to make sure I keep me proportions to what I want. as I said it hasn't happened over night I'm weight training about 3 years obviously as I've gotten fitter my training has progressed to the likes of clean and jerks, full push ups ect. I am aware that women don't just pick up a weight and pack muscle on as I said its been very gradual over 3 years and they are fine at present but I would like them to stay as they are just define more.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,930 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

elsy wrote: »
    thanks for the replies when I say bulk I don't mean hugely I just feel they are widening a little I'm very small on my top half waist chest ect. maybe it is just the drop in bodyfat giving that perception to me. I'm working hard to get the body I want so I'm just trying to make sure I keep me proportions to what I want. as I said it hasn't happened over night I'm weight training about 3 years obviously as I've gotten fitter my training has progressed to the likes of clean and jerks, full push ups ect. I am aware that women don't just pick up a weight and pack muscle on as I said its been very gradual over 3 years and they are fine at present but I would like them to stay as they are just define more.

You can lower your calories to lose muscle weight. Although things like that make baby Jesus cry.

I trained with a female friend for a bit, she had a similar "problem" to yourself. Honestly it was a matter of proportion not actually putting on muscle.

Well done on all the hard work though.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

I have definitely put on muscle since I started in Crossfit a year ago - biceps & traps are the most obvious to me - I don't mind it though...I just want to be strong, lean(ish) and healthy, "small" is not a goal for me (but I am older, maybe wiser ;))
    Buy yeah clean & jerks, chins/pull-ups & push-ups are going to work those muscles.
    But a bit of muscle doesn't necessarily look "bulky" I think it looks great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭generic2012

Just do squats...and some more squats, with a side of squats.

Nothing better than a woman with strong legs and glutes, as long as they're not below a certain body fat and still have that 'soft' appearance.

Edit: Got an email that my posts are trollish, so I better change this post from inference to a direct statement to make it easier to understand where I'm coming from.

Maybe she's not lifting to impress men. That's like her asking for help fixing her car and you telling her she's better off in the kitchen.

I'm a man and, frankly, I got pissed of by your post. Cop on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

There's nothing wrong with my post, it's up to you if you wish to take it the wrong way and make it sexual. Fitness and bodybuilding is all about appreciating the form of the human body and sculpting it just as you would a work of art. This entails critique from others of every muscle in the body, obviously including the glutes for both men and women. If that's too hard for you to cope with because you can't put aside your dirty thoughts then that's your problem, not mine. Get your mind out of the gutter, cop on.

That's bodybuilding not fitness.

You responded to a thread that directly asked about shoulders and started talking about legs and glutes.

I agree with Generic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Blacktie. wrote: »
    That's bodybuilding not fitness.

You responded to a thread that directly asked about shoulders and started talking about legs and glutes.

I agree with Generic.

Alright I deleted the posts.

just to clarify I 100% train for myself I'm a 31 year old mother of 2 the only people I would like to possibly impress are my daughter's to teach them that a woman can be strong and take pride in themselves for themselves. thanks for all the replies I do like the muscle I've built i was just a little concerned about my shoulders broadening but I know agree from the responses it is most like my perception and not how I actually look.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

Nothing like the kiddos thinking mammy is stronger than daddy , ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭gymfreak

Maybe you'll change your perception and actually like your shoulders??

I remember the first time I tried on a dress that wouldn't zip up cos my back had widened. Was pretty annoyed cos it was a gorgeous dress and I'd only had it 2months...and I knew I was leaner than before. But that was going from cardio bunny to strength athlete...so it was bound to happen!! Nowadays I LOVE my shoulders and back and LOVE when people give me compliments about them...cos I know it means I'll be able to do more pullups..or jerk more..and pretty much just make me better at my sport.

If you can't see how wonderful your strong shoulders or back are...then perhaps lower the volume of the upperbody work that you are doing and cut down on any isolated shoulder exercises...............but I think you should EMBRACE it!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

elsy wrote: »
    just to clarify I 100% train for myself I'm a 31 year old mother of 2 the only people I would like to possibly impress are my daughter's to teach them that a woman can be strong and take pride in themselves for themselves. thanks for all the replies I do like the muscle I've built i was just a little concerned about my shoulders broadening but I know agree from the responses it is most like my perception and not how I actually look.
    100% gurantee if you were to post a picture (not that kind of picture) people would think you look amazing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement