Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heineken Cup - General Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Highlights of Edinburgh now on S4C

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

wixfjord wrote: »
    Munster don't need to lose at home, and Parc Y Scarlets is hardly an impenetrable fortress! :p

Hilarious. Scarlets are a good side.

Look only the winner will get out of this group and no way do I see Northampton getting ahead of Scarlets and Munster. It won't happen

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

NickDrake wrote: »
    Hilarious. Scarlets are a good side.

Look only the winner will get out of this group and no way do I see Northampton getting ahead of Scarlets and Munster. It won't happen

Well no, it could very easily happen as I've explained.
    They're on the back foot, but not out of it yet by a long shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Munster don't need to lose at home, and Parc Y Scarlets is hardly an impenetrable fortress! :p

I dont know why you bother. Arguing a reasonable statistical possibility vs an entrenched opinion.

durkadurka wrote: »
    I dont know why you bother. Arguing a reasonable statistical possibility vs an entrenched opinion.

Reason and logic don't seem to wash with some on here.
    I just love arguing though!

• Advertisement

I just can't be arsed...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

Because you think you are always right?

NickDrake wrote: »
    Because you think you are always right?

No, because I like to make logical arguments, based in knowledge of the game, and have knowledgeable posters argue back with me, also with logical arguments.

What I don't like is opinions with posters continuously giving opinions with no foundation, and not admitting that they're completly wrong even when it's plainly obvious.

However i do know that I've only been wrong once in my life, and that was when I thought I was incorrect about something. ;)

You can't rule any result out now.

Year of the Celt so far. Welsh unbeaten. Scots unbeaten, Irish unbeaten apart from Connacht. Who'd have thought it?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

durkadurka wrote: »
    You can't rule any result out now.

Year of the Celt so far. Welsh unbeaten. Scots unbeaten, Irish unbeaten apart from Connacht. Who'd have thought it?

Aye, Edinburgh is probably the biggest shock of them all. If anyone suggested 2 weeks ago that Edinburgh would win away to LI and beat Racing at home, they would have been denounced!

• Advertisement

I getting more worried about glasgow now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

As somebody just getting into club rugby this Heineken Cup campaign has been brilliant so far. Priestland is some prospect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Delighted the Scottish sides are making a resurgence. This could be the best HC for years too given how competitive it is

Glasgow won't give Leinster an easy time tomorrow either

Embra really have a huge shot at a qf now.
    The welsh should defo be in the qf too.
    This really is shaping up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Priestland's turnaround has been remarkable. This time last year he started to spark a bit and it has just snowballed. Before that he was seen as a big lump of an outhalf with a big, inaccurate boot and not a lot else. Teams used enjoy seeing him in the Llanelli line up. He's arguably playing the best rugby of any outhalf in this part of the world now.

With that said, Llanelli rode their luck big time this evening and their tries were seriously fortuitous. First one from a hack through, second from failure to gather a kick off (not mentioning the offside and knock on), third one a gimme from a Northampton knock on near their own line and the last one a screw up and some opportunism. On another night they wouldn't have scored 10 points. Mad game. Pool flipped on its head but if Munster win tomorrow, I can't see them not topping the pool. Llanelli have a great back line but they can't win games if they don't have the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Fair play to Scarlets. Played brilliantly at times.

Northampton are still one of the best teams in the competition. Ryan Lamb has made them better (he's really matured as a player, could well play for England in the next 6 Nations).

Incidentally I thought tonight was the perfect example of why James Downey is not up to the standard. Takes everything out of the ball and shortens the options on wide moves. They really should have May in that team more consistently. Or Pisi.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Fair play to Scarlets. Played brilliantly at times.

Northampton are still one of the best teams in the competition. Ryan Lamb has made them better (he's really matured as a player, could well play for England in the next 6 Nations).

Incidentally I thought tonight was the perfect example of why James Downey is not up to the standard. Takes everything out of the ball and shortens the options on wide moves. They really should have May in that team more consistently. Or Pisi.

Lamb is awful. I don't know how you can be of the opinion that he has made them better. Also, on Downey, he played brilliantly a week ago, he was one of their better backs tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

Nigel Davies is one of the shrewdest coaches in the game. He questioned the Saints scrum during the week and the ref watched it carefully. I hope McGahan does the same next time they face Saints.

Llanelli targeted Northampton where they were weak and got richly rewarded. The Munster match must have knocked a bit out of Northampton too.

matthew8 wrote: »
    Lamb is awful. I don't know how you can be of the opinion that he has made them better. Also, on Downey, he played brilliantly a week ago, he was one of their better backs tonight.

What exactly about Lamb's game is awful??

And Downey was nowhere near one of their better backs tonight. So many times they had space out wide and he just straightened. Scarlets were able to push their defense on practically every phase where he was second receiver because they just did not have to worry about the ball going out wide. He is good away from home, because their style of play suits him better. Tom May is already starting to take his place in the AP despite only joining the club, with players like Pisi, Ashton, Foden and Artemiev out wide they just aren't going to leave Downey in the team if he keeps playing like he did tonight. Maybe away from home in tight games, but not in any situation where they're expected to have any form of possession.

What exactly about Lamb's game is awful??

And Downey was nowhere near one of their better backs tonight. So many times they had space out wide and he just straightened. Scarlets were able to push their defense on practically every phase where he was second receiver because they just did not have to worry about the ball going out wide. He is good away from home, because their style of play suits him better. Tom May is already starting to take his place in the AP despite only joining the club, with players like Pisi, Ashton, Foden and Artemiev out wide they just aren't going to leave Downey in the team if he keeps playing like he did tonight. Maybe away from home in tight games, but not in any situation where they're expected to have any form of possession.

Lamb misses kicks that schools kickers should get. He's also a poor kicker out of hand, which is why Northampton's penalties have gone relatively unrewarded.

Saying Downey was one of their better backs was putting a nice spin on things I admit, but Pisi was out of position and had a very poor game, Ashton was awful in attack and reminded me that I don't like him for the Scarlets 4th try. I've already explained why I don't like Lamb, Clarke wasn't up to much, nor was Artemyiev, and Dickson had a poor game.

• Advertisement

Lamb misses kicks that schools kickers should get. He's also a poor kicker out of hand, which is why Northampton's penalties have gone relatively unrewarded.
    His kicking out of hand has been brilliant in the last two games and he's kicking something like 75%. He has really gotten better since he joined Northampton, which is what I said. To be honest I don't know how you can be of the opinion that Meyler was better?!
    Saying Downey was one of their better backs was putting a nice spin on things I admit, but Pisi was out of position and had a very poor game, Ashton was awful in attack and reminded me that I don't like him for the Scarlets 4th try. I've already explained why I don't like Lamb, Clarke wasn't up to much, nor was Artemyiev, and Dickson had a poor game.
    Maybe all of those outside backs wouldn't have played so badly if they'd actually been given decent delivery in space on the numerous occasions that Downey elected to run the ball instead of pass it. Their centres are a weak link, but May and Pisi are a better potential combination than Downey and Clarke.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Reading Northampton discussion forms, they were shocked that Pisi was put at 15 and not Greig Tonks. They all rate Tonks as the best backup to Foden.

Foden's absence cost Saints big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭Hype710

Surprised Noah Cato wasn't involved, thought he was destined for great things after watching him destroy the Irish 20s about three seasons ago.

His kicking out of hand has been brilliant in the last two games and he's kicking something like 75%. He has really gotten better since he joined Northampton, which is what I said. To be honest I don't know how you can be of the opinion that Meyler was better?!
    You must've closed your eyes whenever he kicked for touch on a penalty against Munster.
    Maybe all of those outside backs wouldn't have played so badly if they'd actually been given decent delivery in space on the numerous occasions that Downey elected to run the ball instead of pass it. Their centres are a weak link, but May and Pisi are a better potential combination than Downey and Clarke.
    They were awful in defense too.

Reading Northampton discussion forms, they were shocked that Pisi was put at 15 and not Greig Tonks. They all rate Tonks as the best backup to Foden.

Foden's absence cost Saints big time.

Not to mention it meant putting Pisi out of position...

Then again, Greig Tonks is quite young isn't he? Maybe it was too much too soon for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Why wasn't Artemyiev played at fb?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

My one beef with this season's ERC comps, is the increased intrusiveness of the cameras at each game. Never mind being in the dressing rooms, a place I'm adamant should be blocked from the public eye.
    Walking on-field and sticking a camera in the official following a decision or a player after a try is poor, in my view.
    After the poor taste of hounding David Wallace up close as he writhed in agony during the RWC warm-up, I would have thought directors would know their place.

Presumably the promise of filthy lucre has made the clubs sign up to it. I'm amazed they permit dressing room cameras.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I was really surprised by the dressing room cam at the RWC. Didn't realise they had it at the HEC too. Completely unnecessary and just strikes me as pandering to a certain odd voyeurism.

• Advertisement

The auld dressing room cam has been embraced by a good few sports at this stage (apart from soccer I think, which is odd). I wonder how the players and coaches feel about it.

Advertisement