Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Show us yer tank! (DO NOT QUOTE PHOTOS)

Options
1789101113»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,150 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

Needs a bit of a clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

1 gold fish

3 danio zebra

cold water setup

You're going to have to re-home that Goldie Eircom Sucks, the tank is way too small for him and he'll poison the danios pretty fast (Goldfish are very dirty fish, excrete lots of ammonia). They're pond fish, or if you *really* want to put them in Aquariums, fish for tanks of 300l plus (about ten times the size of what you have him in there).

I like your aquascaping though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Moved from an Interpet River Reef 94 litre to this Juwel Vision 180 litre about a week ago.
    Just got a few live plants today along with some Easy-Life Profito fertilizer, also have a home made CO2 yeast & sugar job going on.

At the moment I just have the original fish from my old tank in there but I'm going to slowly add more to the community over time.

2 bronze corydoras
    1 (1 eyed) leopard danio
    3 Danio kyathit
    few small snails

GGazoru.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Look what I spied! I had no idea there was still an assassin in there!

photo%203_zpsol1awzqo.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,072 ✭✭✭Mech1

24086781215_7a35cb0e64_c.jpgDSCN1535 by pat, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭Ryath

Santa landed with a 48ltr tank for the kids so thought it only right I set it up and stock it. First tropical tank and first attempt at acuascaping. Been cycling for 3days using the interpet filter start. Was up in Dublin today so dropped into Seahorse aquariums (Wow the marine aquariums this may be the start of an addiction) to get some plants and rock and get my well water tested so I could get some advice on fish.

Water as I knew is pretty hard he mentioned a figure of 20 and a ph of 8.2 which is more of a problem I think. He suggested harvesting rainwater and using carbon filter to treat it before adding. So I've gone with his suggestion and bought another filter and activated carbon to treat the rainwater. I guess it's going to be a balancing act between the amount of well and rain water I use. I added about 10ltrs of rainwater this evening. Should be able to get it tested again Saturday.

Know it's a small tank so can't get a huge amount of fish and the adult side needs to be small. Was thinking along the lines of 5 Neon/cardinal tetra 3/4 panda corys and 2 dwarf blue Gouramis. And maybe a couple of cherry shrimp. What ph I can get the tank down to though may affect this. So much info to take on board :eek: doing some reading suggesting not to mix softer water that you mess with the buffering ability!

Anything you'd change in layout of the tank? Thinking another plant maybe some long grass for behind the mopani root.

http://www.aqadvisor.com/ is worth a look for stocking levels, you seem to be heading a little high imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

David and Goliath

photo%201_zpsdxspcfol.jpg

• Advertisement

That's a beautiful looking setup Mech1!

Clearseal tank? About 300l? Would love to upgrade to something like that in the future!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,197 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Excuse the poor picture quality, this is my tank these days.

374500.jpg

374501.jpg

374502.jpg

374503.jpg

374504.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,072 ✭✭✭Mech1

Its come on a bit since my last post up the page.

36167767524_6729a28d3b_b.jpgDSC_1331 by pat, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭Nick Park

At the beginning of the year I started fish keeping with this 56 litre tank. It contains a couple of mollies and a school of 6 little clown loaches.

img_2365-jpg.1279735

That quickly escalated and I added this 450 litre Juwel bow front. At present it houses 3 heros efasciatus, 7 yellow labs of varying degrees of purity or hybrid, 2 rustles, 2 dogtooth cichlids, a jewel cichlid, a demasoni, a blood parrot, a synodontis catfish and a foot-long black shark catfish.

img_2366-jpg.1279737

The black shark sounds exciting, but is the most boring fish in the tank. It hides in a cave all day and only comes out after the lights are off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭Ryath

2 years since my first post and attempt. Ended up with 2 guppies and 7 neon tetras. Went well enough for 6/7 months. First plants didn't last and but fish were ok till I lost a guppy then two tetras over a few weeks. Few big water changes and it settled down again. Few month later I impulsively picked another guppy in a local pet chain store. Learned to never do that again. He was dead in days. Then my first guppy and then the tetras started rapidly dropping. Was down to 3 tetras and started to realise the internal filter that came with the aquarium was crap. Replaced the filter with a JBL 901 external and medicated the tank.

Didn't look back after that one tetra didn't make it but after month I was able to start to increasing my stock. Lost one panda cory in first 24hrs overnight but have lost nobody else since. Learned a lot from my mistakes and am lot more knowledgeable now I hope. Got the oversized filter with the long term view to getting a bigger tank. Took a bit longer than planned but took while to decide and get everything

Think this one is a little better! Tank is custom opti white from Seahorse.
    Very lightly stocked at minute just got a couple more panda corys to fill out the school, few amano shrimp and assassin snails if there's anymore uninvited hitchhikers from the external filter. I'll give it a few weeks and I'll start moving livestock from the old aquarium. Panda Corys and Siamese AE first then the tetras and the Rainbow gourami.

Not quite finished product yet most of the plants are in invitro so looking a little sorry for themselves. Should fill out a good bit in a few weeks but I thinks I still need a few more plants. Few more dwarf/nano annubias between the rocks and I think the piece of wood still needs something. It will look a better when the weeping moss fills out.

438186.jpg

438183.jpg

438184.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,197 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Got my tank redone before Christmas, sprayed the cabinet and full clean up.

20171218_175458-jpg.954628

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

Thought I'd share some pics of my non-traditional Malawai setup.

510734.jpg

510733.jpg

It's a Vision 260 painted grey using laminate paint.

510735.jpg

510736.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭m8

@Alkers
    Is that a cat box on top of your tank...oh man.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

m8 wrote: »
    @Alkers
    Is that a cat box on top of your tank...oh man.

Ha, it is yeah - the cat loves it because of the heat, particularly when the lights are on...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

Pretty new to the hobby and indeed this is pure addiction aha. I learnt so much in the past 3 months!

I am doing a dry start on moss in my third thank now ha...this all has been so much fun.

My second Tank (30L Aquael) - first time tried this aquascaping. Some red cherry and amano shrimps, neons and otos. This is so much fun really and recently the red cherry are berried (i started with 7 in there). I am getting some better light and I just trimmed the dwarf hair grass yesterday, hoping they will grow horizontally rather than going up lol.

My first tank (60L secondhand from LFS) - turtle tank. This is pure joy looking after the turtles (and with their friends, some blue velvet and amano shrimps, and firetail Endlers). I do keep in mind of the cohabitat risk so i am keeping eyes on them (should upgrade the tank around next summer). Initially didn't plan to keep any fish but thanks to the missus and look at where I am now aha.

Post edited by seraphimvc on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭Slideways

Hard to get a good photo as no backdrop.

500L tank that came with a house we bought. Have cichlids in it mostly. 3 silver dollars, 4 blue eyed, a black belted cichlid, blue ram etc

Advertisement