Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Middle-Aged Ambitions

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

slowsteady wrote: »
    Aerobic, 10.1 miles, 1:24:02, pace 8:20

This log is turning into one long moan of recent times, need to change that but first one final whinge:D Being the gentleman I opened a door for a member of the fairer sex and pulled something in the dodgy shoulder which continued to throb all day and during tonight's run. Hopefully nothing a good night's sleep won't cure but I think the Ibuprofen will be hit on the way to bed (or maybe now!).

While this run should be done at a more relaxed pace my last few sessions have been so poor I wanted to get out and push to see if there is any pick up at all in the legs ahead of the weekend. Kept the pace at around 8:05 for the first 5 miles but then the drift began so that I averaged only 8:40 for the second half. By the end the legs were completely shot but at least I kept going, only just.

Overall reasonably happy as there seems to be some improvement on earlier in the week but way off where I wanted to be. Thinking of passing on the recovery run on Saturday after tomorrow's rest day in the hopes the legs might be fresh enough to do a 10 mile race on Sunday justice - I don't just want to turn up. If this was to work out I have a race in mind for each of the following 3 weekends, this solo training is all very well but it would be nice to see some fellow masochists once in a while.

This will be the first major departure from the P&D plan but each one should be individual so from now on mine is going to be 'based on' P&D:)

Have found myself sometimes if you take two days off like that the legs not exactly firing on all cylinders coming into a race. One option would be 20 min recovery (around 10 min + mile pace) and do three or four strides after @ race pace (60m-80m) usually does wonders. Find the run increases blood flow for the day and aids recovery rather than a complete day off. Doesnt have to be fast run as slow as you feel your body can possiblly go and keep the time on your feet short to 15-20 min. The strides just get the legs usued to the pace for the next day and walk back recovery so they dont take anything out of you

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭slowsteady

ecoli wrote: »
    Have found myself sometimes if you take two days off like that the legs not exactly firing on all cylinders coming into a race. One option would be 20 min recovery (around 10 min + mile pace) and do three or four strides after @ race pace (60m-80m) usually does wonders. Find the run increases blood flow for the day and aids recovery rather than a complete day off. Doesnt have to be fast run as slow as you feel your body can possiblly go and keep the time on your feet short to 15-20 min. The strides just get the legs usued to the pace for the next day and walk back recovery so they dont take anything out of you

Thanks Ecoli, might try that. The legs have felt so leaden for the past week it has been quite worrying.

I can tie the feeling into this day last week when I gave blood and given it's negative effect on me I can see why EPO was so attractive in the past - I could hardly ask the BTSB for a lend of it back ahead of Sunday? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Recovery, 5.3 miles, 44:59, pace 8:30

A week or two ago I had trouble keeping the pace down on this type of run, no longer, it is nearly the opposite problem, keeping going at all.

Legs are completely gone at the moment, head is no better, everything is a struggle. Started this run in reasonable shape at 8:15 pace but drifted from there and was struggling to hold 8:45 for the last 2 miles - not good, not good at all.

Hey slowteady, now this is just an observation:

Basically it is not a recovery run if you are even concerned about pace, you shouldn't be struggling to 'hold pace' during a recovery run because the whole point of these runs is that you go as slow as possible. You did the recovery run after a tough session (PMP Miles) so the point is to do a short slow jog to freshen the legs up before your next run.
    Check out Mcmillan calculator- he gives the recovery runs for a 3'30 marathoner at 9'30-10 min/mile. Now I realise 9'30 might seem too slow, but you should try to go no faster than 9 min/mile and go as much slower than this as you want.

Your runs of late are becoming very one paced (i.e. 8'10-8'30 min/mile). If you want to be fresh for your fast runs, you have to learn to run the slow ones (i.e. recovery runs) very slowly. Ask yourself before each run 'what is the point of this run'. You cannot call a recovery run such when you are trying to push the pace and end up actually doing a fast GA pace....

menoscemo wrote: »
    Hey slowteady, now this is just an observation:

Basically it is not a recovery run if you are even concerned about pace, you shouldn't be struggling to 'hold pace' during a recovery run because the whole point of these runs is that you go as slow as possible. You did the recovery run after a tough session (PMP Miles) so the point is to do a short slow jog to freshen the legs up before your next run.
    Check out Mcmillan calculator- he gives the recovery runs for a 3'30 marathoner at 9'30-10 min/mile. Now I realise 9'30 might seem too slow, but you should try to go no faster than 9 min/mile and go as much slower than this as you want.

Your runs of late are becoming very one paced (i.e. 8'10-8'30 min/mile).

Thanks for the observations, Menoscemo.

I know myself that I am doing these runs too fast but I find 9'15 plus harder to do than 8 - 8'30 and speed up to make it 'easier'. As you say, I need to remember the purpose of the run and stick to it.

Recovery run tomorrow.

Recovery plus strides, 3.71 miles, 34:25, pace 9:17

The benefits of putting up a log are shown here.

Having decided to pass on this session a couple of days ago Ecoli and Menoscemo pointed out the reasons for some of what we do so I decided to follow their advice. I pulled my sorry ass out of the bed this morning, pulled on the gear and started off.

The tiredness of the past week was still there but I kept down the pace and did the shortest loop I can out here in the country (I have a total aversion to stopping and going back the same road). After the 2.5 miles I felt better, at least the legs did, so I followed Ecoli's suggested 5 x 80m strides and these seemed to actually be easier than the run. Maybe they blew the cobwebs out of the system as the legs feel more relaxed now.

Still not sure about the race tomorrow, will take it as it comes in the morning, the plan calls for 10 miles at PMP as part of a 15 mile run so it would fit in perfectly.

• Advertisement

LSR 15.44 miles, 2:16:26, pace 8:50

Passed on the 10miler yesterday, said I would do it on feel. Saturday took the kids off to Spraoi in Waterford, good craic, but ended up playing chase with the kids and pulled up with a sharp pain in right heel. Then yesterday it was a miserable dull foggy wet morning and with an hour drive to the race, the residual niggle in the heel, and a serious doubt about how I would do, I decided to give it a miss.

Not only that but I left the runners at home and spent the day with the family at Spraoi right up to 11pm - so no running at all:eek:. Have to say the whole Spraoi thing is very good for families and exposes kids to art in a way they would never normally see it. Noticeable that the crowds were lower than other times and outside of the activities the town was very quiet - recessionary Ireland - but a good weekend otherwise.

Got up this morning - officially a rest day - and decided I better do yesterday's miles in some form. Guilt is a great motivator (and this log).

Supposed to be 16 miles with 10 at PMP, knew that wasn't going to happen so took off at a comfortable LSR pace. Very warm, sweated loads but brought juice along to replace lost fluids, don't always do it but knew I would need it today. Hit 10 miles in 87 minutes but doubt if yesterday would have been where I wanted (nearer to 75) so happy enough at the effort. Bashed out the balance steadily enough and was pleased to have it in the bag.

Legs OK, bar the occasional heel pain, but tired feeling for the rest of today. Intend to cut back a bit on this week's mileage to try and put in a respectable performance in the Genzyme 10k next weekend.

Intervals

Garmin is working about as well as myself at present, i.e. very slow:)

Currently been 10 minutes loading up today's activity ands its not like there was a lot to upload.

After the LSR on Monday took a rest day yesterday as the legs were very lethargic. To go out today was a battle as time was short and the weather was very sh**ty, wet, misty, drizzle (classic Irish summer day - or is this now autumn?).

Didn't have a clear plan so after a mile warmup went with 7 x 200m at best pace with 200m jogs. Found these to be very hard as there is still no bounce in the legs, didn't have the reserves to push on as a few weeks ago.

Mile or so at a steady 7:30 to finish with a few stretches to follow in the mist which was lovely - view of the weather about as consistent as the weather itself;).

Garmin still not loaded!! About 4.2 miles in 33 minutes, 8 min pace

Not confident at all about running in 10k Sunday but need to see where I am at the same time. Will be first race since the operation and shoulder been getting between me and a night's sleep the past couple of days so not sure what way to approach it.

Despite present difficulties signed up to the DCM before the end of July deadline so commited now :p. Given number 1663 which seemed surprisingly low if numbers are to be on a par with last year.

Easy, 5.3 miles, 44:18, pace 8:22

If this was easy I'm in trouble.

Having passed up on racing last weekend I'm determined to give the 10k a shot on Sunday and have cut back on the mileage this week to give myself every chance.

The legs have not been behaving the past couple of weeks and everything has seemed be much harder than it should be - whether it is just my head or not I'm not sure.

After the intervals on Wednesday evening the legs were OK but had a lethargic feel to them yesterday and this morning when I got up. Out on the road at 6am, cool, sunny, 8 degrees, a real autumn feel about the morning.

Decided to keep this short and relatively easy ahead of Sunday so went out with 8:10 to 8:20 pace in mind but going by feel more than the watch. Legs didn't really relax and the whole run was hard work, pushed more than I would have liked and still only came in with 8:22 pace.

Not happy but not sure what is wrong. Will go out and do a couple of easy miles tomorrow with a few strides to try and loosen the legs a bit.

Need a good performance on Sunday to put back a bit of confidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

8.22 for an easy run is a little bit fast so dont be too hard on yourself.

I usually do easy runs at 8.45 - 9.00.

The 9 min one is usually at 6.30 am run with bag on my back to work.

Keep up the good work and you will do great in the 10k race.

8.22 for an easy run is a little bit fast so dont be too hard on yourself.

I usually do easy runs at 8.45 - 9.00.

The 9 min one is usually at 6.30 am run with bag on my back to work.

Keep up the good work and you will do great in the 10k race.

Easy was probably the wrong description of the run, probably more of a leg loosener than anything else. My concern is that there seems to be no reserves left to be able to pick up the pace which is why Sunday should tell a lot.

I see from your log you are going great guns at the moment, even with the tempo and intervals.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

I have just looked through your log in full and i couldnt help but notice you are running all your runs way too fast.

Your last race as a 1.44 HM (just shy of 8 min pace)

Since then you have had time off through surgery which affects your fitness levels and needs to be taken into account.

You recently ran a HM paced quality session @ 8.07 pace yet your paces in your easy runs have varied from 8.00-8.50. This means effectively all your "easy runs" have been around your current fitness levels for marathon pace. This is way too fast and you are not allowing your body to recover

The base rule behind all physical training is the rule of “stress and recover.” This rule simply states that if you stress the body in a certain physical discipline (such as running), and then let the body recover from that stress, it will be better adapted to that stress than it was before. It is important to note that this rule has 2 important steps 1) stress and 2) recover, and that one without the other does not accomplish the adaptation we are seeking.

When we stress the body we break it down and our fitness level when we finish is lower than when we start. This is only makes sense, if we run a 5k time trial we cannot then run another 5k race immediately afterwards in the same time. But when we allow the body to recover from that stress, a super compensation occurs which takes our adaptation (or fitness) level higher than it was originally. So then if we were to run a 5k time trial again, after we had fully recovered (such as several days later), we would be able to run it faster.

By running these runs too quick you are not actually getting the most out of your training and are not getting the benefits you should be. If you struggle to run slower find a training partner who you know runs these paces in their easy runs and do your easy runs with them.

Ill Give you an example: My HM pace from my last one would be 5.53 per mile yet if you look to the easy days in my training logs my easy paces are over a min slower than that (6.50-7.20 recently)

I would even suggest a few days recovery after the race 20 min rec jogs (outside 10 pace) to allow the pep come back into the legs

ecoli wrote: »
    I have just looked through your log in full and i couldnt help but notice you are running all your runs way too fast.

Your last race as a 1.44 HM (just shy of 8 min pace)

Since then you have had time off through surgery which affects your fitness levels and needs to be taken into account.

You recently ran a HM paced quality session @ 8.07 pace yet your paces in your easy runs have varied from 8.00-8.50. This means effectively all your "easy runs" have been around your current fitness levels for marathon pace. This is way too fast and you are not allowing your body to recover

The base rule behind all physical training is the rule of “stress and recover.” This rule simply states that if you stress the body in a certain physical discipline (such as running), and then let the body recover from that stress, it will be better adapted to that stress than it was before. It is important to note that this rule has 2 important steps 1) stress and 2) recover, and that one without the other does not accomplish the adaptation we are seeking.

When we stress the body we break it down and our fitness level when we finish is lower than when we start. This is only makes sense, if we run a 5k time trial we cannot then run another 5k race immediately afterwards in the same time. But when we allow the body to recover from that stress, a super compensation occurs which takes our adaptation (or fitness) level higher than it was originally. So then if we were to run a 5k time trial again, after we had fully recovered (such as several days later), we would be able to run it faster.

By running these runs too quick you are not actually getting the most out of your training and are not getting the benefits you should be. If you struggle to run slower find a training partner who you know runs these paces in their easy runs and do your easy runs with them.

Ill Give you an example: My HM pace from my last one would be 5.53 per mile yet if you look to the easy days in my training logs my easy paces are over a min slower than that (6.50-7.20 recently)

I would even suggest a few days recovery after the race 20 min rec jogs (outside 10 pace) to allow the pep come back into the legs

Thanks Ecoli, I took on board your advice last week and kept the LSR out at 8:50. Because I feel I need a race of some sort I cut back heavily on this week's mileage to try and freshen up the legs (24 versus 37 planned) but maybe its a bit early to expect an improvement.

Long commute, 4 kids and living in the country keep time at a premium so runs get fitted in around life (should be the other way I know:)). This makes finding a regular training partner difficult but maybe I'll ask around again.

Will give the 10k a lash and will keep closer to the programme from next week on.

Thanks again for taking the time.

Recovery with strides, 3.32 miles, 31:24, pace 9:28

Could have passed on this with a race tomorrow but following Ecoli's advice last week went out for a very slow couple of miles and 6 x 100m strides with 100m recovery to finish. Cool morning but was sweating profusely by the end.

Big decision - do I wear the Boards top and hope to do it justice or go quietly in case of a crash and burn?:confused:

Genzyme 10k plus w/u and w/d

First race since having surgery at the end of May so wanted to see where I was at having struggled somewhat in training the past couple of weeks.

Biggest dilemma going into this race was what pace to aim for. Had got 8:01 in the GIR back in April but achieved 7:04 in a 5-miler in mid-May. Ambition was to try for 45 minutes but felt that was somewhat beyond my abilities at present so went with 4:45/km pace which would see me home in 47:30 if it could be held.

Smallish entry, due no doubt to the exodus up the motorway to Croker, Deise people are eternal optimists:). Weather was kind, cool to start, little wind, sunshine pushing the temperatures as the morning progressed with a light shower to welcome home the bulk of the runners.

Started mid-pack but the field was soon strung out due to the downhill first km. 2.5km in, looked at the Garmin to see I was 22 sec ahead of target, which I was pleased enough with as it meant I hadn't gone hareing off as previously.

At this point a guy with 'France' on the back of his t-shirt went tearing by as if it was the final 100m and I watched to see how long he would keep that up for. He settled in about 150m ahead and I kept him in sight for the next 3km which were fairly flat.

The trend over the next couple of km was to rise steadily and I gradually reeled 'France' in along with a number of other runners so that by the 7k mark I was only 10m behind. At this point I started to struggle as the juice ran out in the legs and the next km was hard work and I was passed by a couple pacing together and they and 'France' gradually pulled away.

The downhill after the start came again just in time to save the legs and the stride lengthened as I let gravity take over for km 9 and I stopped the rot with those in front. The final km was pretty much flat marred only by taking the turn at the last roundabout too sharply and getting a sharp pain in the left achilles for my troubles. This hurt and meant that I passed up the chance to sprint into the finish (not sure that I had the energy anyway:)).

Time came in at around 47:10 or 7:39 pace so overall I was pleased that I had beaten April and not crashed and burned by going out too fast.

What did I learn? That I am still not back to where I was before the surgery and that for all the effort put into the recent 40+mile weeks the type of run was generally too hard and there needs to be more proper recovery runs. Message - stick closer to the plan.

Based on today have booked the Clonmel half in 2 weeks time as my PMP run so that should prove interesting.

Never did get to 'France':( - maybe next time;)

Bad day in the office..

If there graphs drawn for world stock markets, tourist bookings in London and my marathon prospects, there would be a distinct resemblance between them all, things are not good.

At the end of the race on Sunday I tweaked my left achilles and it was tender for the rest of the day. I passed on running yesterday and even today was in two minds whether to give it a go.

Was supposed to be 10 miles including 5 at PMP so I decided to give it a couple of miles warmup and decide from there whether to up the pace or make it an easy run. I was running easily to try and loosen out the legs and it was working reasonably well when I was set upon by a couple of the usual bandits - two Jack Russell's - who lay in wait on a regular basis. It was the twisting around to keep them in front of me that did the achilles as when I picked up the running the pain was much worse. I persisted for another half mile before finally stopping to see could I stretch or work it back into some kind of life but finally gave up and trudged back to the car.

It is painful to walk on so lots of TLC (or RICE:)) for at least 4 days from here and we will see what the weekend brings. I had thought about a local 5miler on Saturday but it is looking very doubtful now. I am due to start a couple of weeks holiday this week and was looking forward to 2 weeks really good training to get Dublin back on track but if this doesn't clear up it will knock that on the head.

I wouldn't mind but, thinking about my performance on Sunday, the 3:30 target for Dublin was beginning to look a stretch as McMillan was giving the result as a 3:41 equivalent. I had hoped to consolidate my thinking with another 1:45, or even 1:40, in the Clonmel half marathon on Sunday week - now I might not even make the start line:mad:.

I must stop booking races, first Cork, cancelled by surgery, now Clonmel looks dodgy - and I have Dublin confirmed as well:confused:.

Injury is part of the package, but I would not be the best patient, so I can see the next few days being a struggle - and the next time I meet those bandits!!!!

(I like dogs, have them myself, but these two - hope they have health insurance!!:D)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭RubyK

Ah crap, that's really unfortunate :( Hope you'll be ok!

Been staying away from here for the past couple of weeks to stop this being a whinge rather than a log.

Left achilles did not improve so pulled on Clonmel half and as I was on holiday for two weeks threw the runners to the back of the wardrobe and just enjoyed time with the kids.

Concentrated on trying out the shoulder with a bit of vigorous gardening as it was now closer to a jungle than a rural idyll (as they say in the estate agents). Result is that while the shoulder is no worse than before the operation it is certainly no better. Not decided whether to go to the physio or the medics next?

Suffering severe running withdrawal last week but resisted putting on the runners but was weakening by Friday. However, was doing a bit of sweeping the drive and jarred the other achilles:eek:, quite how I did it I'm not sure but spent the rest of the day hobbling (and cursing:o) - kids were less than impressed!

That put paid to running the weekend but finally went out last night to test the waters. Ran every step as if I was on eggshells, almost tiptoed around my usual loop, feeling every stride. Concentrating on every impact I felt twinges everwhere, heels, arches, calves, hams, quads, knees, hips, you name it I felt it at one point or other - even the shoulder joined in at one stage - feeling left out I suppose:)

I think it was all mental stuff. Yes, I hadn't been out for a couple of weeks, but I was only trotting around - put the watch on Heartrate so that I wouldn't be conscious of time and it stayed at 135 most of the time. 24 hours on I have a stiff left calf, right hamstring and, more worryingly, right achilles. Working late so passing tonight and might go out tomorrow if twinges subside.

Whole training plan out the window for now and will take each day as it comes.

Sorry that you are still having problems with injuries, your head must be melted at this stage. Are you seeing a physio?

RubyK wrote: »
    Sorry that you are still having problems with injuries, your head must be melted at this stage. Are you seeing a physio?

Been to the physio a couple of times, stiff and tender was the verdict, rest and you'll be fine was the advice - hasn't really worked. The left achilles is constantly sore just walking around.

Head wrecked from not running and trying to behave so, having given the legs another 10 days rest after a previous three weeks r&r, I decided to go out and see could I work the stiffness out of the legs.

A possible issue is that my runners have 550 miles on the clock so have pulled out my new spare pair of the same make. Shouldn't be a particular issue but I'd try anything different at present.

Caution has been the guiding principle.

Thursday. 2.7 miles @ 9:21 pace, left achilles was very stiff but got around and iced and worked it afterwards.

Friday. Very stiff again that morning but it worked looser during the day so went out that evening, 5.3 miles @ 8:36, felt a bit better but stiffened up afterwards so more work on the leg.

Saturday. Mid-morning, decided to keep going as a month's rest had not done any good, so another 5.3 miles this time @ 8:56, going as easy as possible so as not to aggravate the leg.

Today. Set the Garmin to 9:23 and did the same 5.3 mile loop. Felt better than past few days but far from right.

Big fear is that I know I am running to protect the left calf/achilles and that this might lead to other issues, generally stiff but to be expected after a month lay-off. Plan is to keep doing little and often and see where we are a week from now.

Glimmer of hope?

After 4 straight days had a notion to go out for a few miles this morning early before work if the legs were OK.

5.45am alarm and a howling gale put me off:p. In the event it probably would have been OK as while windy it was warm and dry.

Day at work and the legs felt reasonably good, tender and sore but not too stiff and, most important, the left achilles was only tender - result of yesterday's TLC?

Got home this evening and out for usual 5.3 miles on a 'run by feel' pace. It felt OK so pushed a liitle and was happy to get back in 8:21 pace.

Calves are feeling it a bit, which is good, little action for a month. Will keep this up for the week and review.

3:30 marathon now is about as likely as Ireland being in Auckland on Oct 23rd:D. Will settle for being on the start line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

3:30 marathon now is about as likely as Ireland being in Auckland on Oct 23rd:D. Will settle for being on the start line.

...and what would you settle for with Ireland??

Best of luck with the training and you never know what may happen...(You, that is, 'cos Ireland got no chance!!)

belcarra wrote: »
    ...and what would you settle for with Ireland??

Best of luck with the training and you never know what may happen...(You, that is, 'cos Ireland got no chance!!)

At this point I think a gallant, narrow defeat to South Africa in the QF. It would be nice to think they have got all the hangups out of the system now and that we could get back to the confident rugby of 2009 but somehow I think over-coaching and confirmity to 'the plan' will win out.

Regarding the training, it can hopefully only get better from here.

Easy 5.3 miles, 44:48, 8:28 pace

Passed on a run yesterday as I felt another 24 hours would help the achilles which was still fairly sore.

Out this evening, no wind, lovely!! Set out with no plan other than to follow short term intention and to run on feel. Leg felt easier than the other evening but that could be the lack of breeze, still, will take it (let's be honest, will take anything at present:))

Easy 5.3 miles, 42:52, 8:06 pace

Still not happy with left achilles in particular but both are touchy. Running more on fore/mid-foot to try to ease the pressure on the achilles/calves, consequence is the pace tends to increase.

Did same loop as been doing all week but have gone progressively faster which is both a good and a bad thing. Good because I'm running at all and bad because whatever is wrong is not getting a chance to settle.

Beginning to suspect it might have something to do with the runners as they have a highish heel and the new ones are even stiffer than the older version. Might dig out old,old runners for a blast:confused:

If get out tomorrow must make it a RECOVERY run, something I am not good at:D. Recovery run after 5miler?? Dublin looks a long way away:eek:

Recovery 8.3 miles, 75:41, 9:05 pace

Intended to do this yesterday evening but decided to go out on the bike for an hour instead:o. Is very easy on the achilles so that is my excuse.

Out this morning instead and took things very easy. Can feel the left heel on every step so it was just a matter of keeping the pace relaxed enough not to aggravate the situation and ice it when I finish. Dug out the old runners and they were fine so maybe keep them on for another while.

Said last week I would keep running and see how the leg was, well here we are and I'm still standing so everthing is good in that regard. Plan for the coming week will be more of the same - but longer. Slowly, slowly;)
    Glimmer of hope?

3:30 marathon now is about as likely as Ireland being in Auckland on Oct 23rd:D.

Maybe the odds have shortened on both fronts;)

LSR 11.5 miles, 1:44:01, 9:03 pace

Went out early this morning, overcast but no rain, good running weather.

Had Garmin set for 9:20 pace but, once warmed up, gained time on the run on all the downhills. Concious again the whole time of the achilles, was able to run comfortably enough but unable to put any pressure on it for the uphill stretches. Also felt the pull when put the pace much above 8:45 so relaxed and worked with it for the run.

Happy enough overall. Slowly, slowly is the watchword.

Great result for Dublin and even better for Tipperary - be some happy souls at work tomorrow (if they turn in:)).

Glad to read you're on the mend slowsteady.

Easy 5.3 miles, 45:08, 8:32 pace

No run yesterday as went to the funeral of a close neighbour, mother of two, 47, didn't get the liver transplant needed, very sad.

Arrived home from work and dinner was on the table so sat down and tucked in - creamy chicken with rice, extra cream, extra cheese, man-sized portion (i.e. too big) followed by a couple of buckets of tea (we drink from buckets outside the Pale;)).

Gave it all an hour and headed of on an easy run. Needless to say I spent most of the run deciding whether to keep the dinner or share it with the local wildlife. One good thing, it took my mind off my achilles which (whisper it) seems to be getting better.

All things considered a good run.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Hope you make the marathon.

Your starting to get the long runs in which will stand to you on the day.

Best of luck.

• Advertisement

Easy 8.3 miles, 1:10:50, 8.30 pace

Didn't really feel like this but put on the gear and got out the door. Current plan is time on the feet and nothing too strenuous till leg is better - great excuse to avoid tempos, intervals, strides etc:p

Sun was setting as I set out and it was almost pitch black when I got back. No idea what the pace was but kept it comfortable without being too easy. Found still could not push the hills without a twinge in the achilles.

Glad I did it as tomorrow could be a push to get done.
    Hope you make the marathon.

Your starting to get the long runs in which will stand to you on the day.

Long runs - I wish - worried particularly on that score as have nothing over a half done yet. Still it could be a lot worse, staying injury free is the current priority

Advertisement