Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sugar detox

• 14-04-2014 8:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭

Think it's time I start or try this
    What's the best website or book for advice eg
    Is it hard to go sugar free like most people I've ate since birth!
    Also going to try reduce salt intake but one thing at a time thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Julius Seizure

I wouldn't call it a detox, since you don't really detox from sugar but anyway, I just stopped it. I told myself it would just be for a week, a personal bet with myself. The first couple of days are the hardest, just because you're used to old habits like walking past the shop it something. Substitute sweets with stuff like carrot sticks, I was having two or three carrots a day! After a while the feeling of not wanting to break your streak of no sugar is better than the feeling you want from sugar. I broke the no sugar rule and let myself have a treat every now and again but it's easier to be content with less now, so it's more moderated. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Iristxo

Try a hanful of blueberries, blackberries, raspberries. Works for me most of the time when the craving hits. Or little bit of 85% cocoa black and green chocolate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

I don't know what you mean by sugar detox.

If you want to give up sugar, then just stop eating it. There's no 'detox' required.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

Iristxo wrote: »
    Try a hanful of blueberries, blackberries, raspberries. Works for me most of the time when the craving hits. Or little bit of 85% cocoa black and green chocolate.

But if you give up sugar, would you not be restricted by not being able to eat fruit as fruit contains a certain amount of sugar also ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,676 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

whupdedo wrote: »
    But if you give up sugar, would you not be restricted by not being able to eat fruit as fruit contains a certain amount of sugar also ?

in fairness relative to veg, fruit is over rated and not as nutrient dense as your better vegetables. At the start it is probably better to drop most fruit, berries are the best and tropical fruit is the worst in terms of sugar. After a few weeks or as a longer term strategy eat fruit like bananas at the weekend but not during the week. Its a good idea to have at least 1 or 2 higher carb days a week and the weekend is normally the best for most people plus if you do sports or other exercise/gym you might need the extra energy.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭lighterman

I don't know what you mean by sugar detox.

If you want to give up sugar, then just stop eating it. There's no 'detox' required.

Why do people get headaches etc when they go off sugar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Rough Sleeper

lighterman wrote: »
    Why do people get headaches etc when they go off sugar
    A nocebo or the the effects of some retarded diet of which giving up sugar completely is a component, most likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭BigStupidGuy

I've been eliminating processed sugar from my diet as an experiment for the last two weeks now. After another week when I'm finished I'll post the results if you like.

I find sugar cravings can be helped by loading up on fats.

Advertisement