Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to make Porridge taste nice

• 01-04-2014 8:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭

I need to add fibre to my diet and my Doctor advised that Porridge and Linseed was a fgood way to do this. Apart from adding a spoon of sugar to give taste, are there other ways of doing it?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i throw some whey protein into it, mocha or latte flavoured oatmeal/oat bran is lovely altogether

other than that there's jams or even some almond or coconut milk

if you're adding the linseed make sure to blend/crush it before you do, or buy it already milled I guess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Loads of cinnamon and full fat milk!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

Make it with milk or half milk, apple and cinnamon, maple syrup, banana, prunes, cocoa, there's about a million things you could add like, seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭StinkySocs

Add some mixed berries, blueberries, strawberries...top with honey ...so tasty!:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Was thinking milk might be better than water alright.
    I like the cocoa idea but that might cancel out some of the goodness of the Porridge.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

A tiny bit of cocoa won't do much harm. Just feck different things you like in and experiment.

What about Brown Sugar? I read somewghere that that is a bit better than ordibnarey sugar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Loads of cinnamon and full fat milk!
    Plus raisins.

Peanut butter is one of my favorite things in porridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,656 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Vanilla whey and cinnamon.

For everything else, there's Mastercard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

Bonne maman strawberry jam and some mixed seeds - dried cranberry, goji berry, sunflower seeds etc
    I make mine with water and a tiny splash of skimmed milk. The jam (while I know it's full of dreaded sugar) is delicious!!!
    12 months ago I hated porridge. Now I eat it nearly every morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Get the proportions right ,and cook it properly 1 : 2.5 (so 1 cup oatflake to 2and a half of milk ) I do it in microwave 3 mins on full ,stir well another 3 mins on full leave it a min...
    Also each type is different (I don't like jumbo flakes or coarse ones)
    Add a bit of honey or brown sugar...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,684 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Dates for sweetness, chia seed for superfood, and a liberal sprinkling of cream

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I put in some sweetener and blueberries or mixed summer fruits.

Aside from that a spoon of sugar in something that's otherwise good for you is hardly a bad thing I'd have thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Twenty10

I put in sliced banana and yogurt into mine, absolutely love it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Bit of strawberry jam and you're laughing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Honey!

Markcheese wrote: »
    Get the proportions right ,and cook it properly 1 : 2.5 (so 1 cup oatflake to 2and a half of milk ) I do it in microwave 3 mins on full ,stir well another 3 mins on full leave it a min...
    Also each type is different (I don't like jumbo flakes or coarse ones)
    Add a bit of honey or brown sugar...

Was just going to ask that. There's oats, flakes and other types so which should i get?

ryanf1 wrote: »
    Was just going to ask that. There's oats, flakes and other types so which should i get?

They're oats in a variety of forms. Get whichever one you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Buenavista

I make mine on low fat milk.Put a spoon on Cinnamon on top also a spoon of Manuka honey and three large spoons on Greek yogurt.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Ever tried it cold?

100g of porridge with 200ml of freezing cold whole milk and a banana or some honey. Its the business

• Advertisement

conzy wrote: »
    Ever tried it cold?

100g of porridge with 200ml of freezing cold whole milk and a banana or some honey. Its the business
    No never have.
    I eat Weetabix occasionally and would always use hot milk, Slightly OT but would they be as high Fibre as Porridge?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Maple syrup for me, makes porridge amazing.

I always think it's nicer cooked on the hob, especially if you can steep it overnight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 91 ✭✭Yakuza42

Plus raisins.

Peanut butter is one of my favorite things in porridge.

Peanut butter (natural if you can, or at least 90% peanut content) is awesome, I mix it in when Im heating my oats in a saucepan with some skimmed milk.

hardCopy wrote: »
    Maple syrup for me, makes porridge amazing.

I always think it's nicer cooked on the hob, especially if you can steep it overnight.
    I'm a student so conveinence wins:). I could do it in a saucepan easily enough but not sure about the ones you soak overnight.
    Maple syrup could actually taste nice, might be expensive though.

I'm a student so conveinence wins:). I could do it in a saucepan easily enough but not sure about the ones you soak overnight.
    Maple syrup could actually taste nice, might be expensive though.

Soak any porridge overnight - there's no real difference. It's not like the oats equivalent of marrowfat peas. It'll just soften it. I sometimes do that if I'm down home and using the jumbo flakes on offer.

Normally, I just let them sit for an hour or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭generic2012

Adding bran would be your best bet if you're looking for fibre, just pour it on top, not particularly tasty though...

Adding bran would be your best bet if you're looking for fibre, just pour it on top, not particularly tasty though...
    I was looking at Oat Bran in the Supermarket today and its got loads of fibre in it but I think its something you add to food rather than eat on its own like Porridge or something.

I was looking at Oat Bran in the Supermarket today and its got loads of fibre in it but I think its something you add to food rather than eat on its own like Porridge or something.

No. You can have it just like porridge. I'd let it sit for a while to make it soft. Needs more time than porridge but I went back to porridge in the end because I preferred the taste.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

I have mine cold too - porridge, some milled linseed from Lidl, berries and yoghurt or fromage frais. Served with a dash of honey, it's a very tasty alternative :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Honey, cinnamon or raisins (or all three). Important get get a measuring cup - flahavans usually have these free in the cylindrical packets. 2 of these for the porridge, 4 water and 4 milk. I give it just under 3 mins in the microwave (don't know how powerful it is) and comes out perfect every time

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭whitewave

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Honey, cinnamon or raisins (or all three). Important get get a measuring cup - flahavans usually have these free in the cylindrical packets. 2 of these for the porridge, 4 water and 4 milk. I give it just under 3 mins in the microwave (don't know how powerful it is) and comes out perfect every time

Do you put in both? Does that make it quite watery/liquid-y? I usually use just 4 milk but find it hard to get the right consistency

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

whitewave wrote: »
    Do you put in both? Does that make it quite watery/liquid-y? I usually use just 4 milk but find it hard to get the right consistency

For me, using milk only tends to create a more solid consistency. Using water and milk works for me, I like it to be more liquid than solid - not a big fan of porridge that's too stodgy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Lyssa

Get a kilner jar, add 30g oats, chopped up apple, liberal dose of cinnamon and top with fat free natural yogurt and leave in the fridge overnight.. is delicious, and very portable. Also a bit easier to eat on warmer mornings :)

Google summer porridge for more recipes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

I use skimmed milk and a squirt of honey. Very nice

I see others at work adding in berries instead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Apart from adding a spoon of sugar to give taste, are there other ways of doing it?
    you can liquidise the oats with milk & and egg and make pancakes. You could possibly add in the linseed to the mix, dunno how it stands up to cooking.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

blended/milled/whatevered linseed sucks up liquid something awful so i'd imagine pancakes would be......strange

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

I have porridge every morning and love it. One part oats(about 50gms) to three parts milk. Cook on the hob and add tablespoon of wheatgerm while cooking.

Pour into bowl and add a generous amount of blueberries, some mixed seeds, a teaspoon of ground cinnamon and a teaspoon of honey.

Stir all together and dig in. Yum!

I'm struggling to deal with constipation and really dont want to be using medical remedies for longer than I need to. I know I will for a while but after that I need to try and add fibre to my diet. That wheatgermn liooks good, I like that it van be mixed with something rather than just eating it plain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Pinch of salt and your sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

Yes to the above, a pinch of salt seems to bring out the oat flavor, especially if you are just having porridge on its own.
    All Bran, the one that looks like little sticks, is lovely with porridge.
    As a treat , a petit filous mixed in to the bowl is lovely,makes it really creamy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

I have tried the Aldi fruity porridge . Its lovely but a bit too sweet as its 30% fruit apples , raisins etc .

I now use Aldi sachets which has oats and pumpkin seed. I mix in a small bit of the fruity porridge and it s now the right sweetness level for me.

Cinamon is a great substitute for sugar

Dak

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭melmoth77

I'm struggling to deal with constipation and really dont want to be using medical remedies for longer than I need to. I know I will for a while but after that I need to try and add fibre to my diet. That wheatgermn liooks good, I like that it van be mixed with something rather than just eating it plain

Some dried fruits like prunes, dates or apricots chopped in will help constipation. I also like to add in a spoon of flaxseed. :)

Make your porridge with milk of magnesia.

Bye-bye constipation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Lyssa

Psyllium husk is great for constipation, and you can drink it in water if I remember correctly?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 jimmi

Yakuza42 wrote: »
    Peanut butter (natural if you can, or at least 90% peanut content) is awesome, I mix it in when Im heating my oats in a saucepan with some skimmed milk.

Peanut butter in porridge never occurred to me. Tryin that tomorrow!

Bye-bye constipation.

*vomit* anything soluble really.

jimmi wrote: »
    Peanut butter in porridge never occurred to me. Tryin that tomorrow!

Tried that myself last week. Got funny looks from she who has jam, milk and butter in hers. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭ElecKtrA

I LOVE PORRIDGE!!!

I make mine with water and i add in lots of raisins, almonds and walnuts - all good...all natural and all yummy!!! ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Butterbeans

Porridge is the bomb!

Tablespoon of maple syrup, sprinkle of linseed, handful of blueberries, delish man!

Will be trying the peanut butter.

Someone has said this but does that stuff taste vile? I know you can probably mix it with something to sweeten it though.

Bye-bye constipation.
    Psyllium husk is great for constipation, and you can drink it in water if I remember correctly?
    I have heard that. I was looking at it in tablets and they worked out quite expensive, its around €10 for 200 tablets and you take 6 a day so it adds up. The powder might be an option though. You can either just drink it or mix it with soft food

• Advertisement
Advertisement