Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

More Irish Heritage faces the cutters torch

2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 625 ✭✭✭roadsmart

Jawgap wrote: »
    .if that pool of puke is still there maybe we could do something with that? Any reports of miracles, unexplained cures etc from people who smelled it?

The puke, alas mysteriously disappeared in unusual circumstances. Some still hold out hope in the area that it may yet reappear (some time around Easter) and stand in local elections.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

roadsmart wrote: »
    Bejayziss, I think one of the Healy rays got sick near it one night.
    Jawgap wrote: »
    Not good enough......maybe if they left one of their caps on the back seat we could do something.

.....if that pool of puke is still there maybe we could do something with that? Any reports of miracles, unexplained cures etc from people who smelled it?
    roadsmart wrote: »
    The puke, alas mysteriously disappeared in unusual circumstances. Some still hold out hope in the area that it may yet reappear (some time around Easter) and stand in local elections.
    Less of this rubbish please. You have made your point.
    Moderator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Soemthing like the Sunbeam in Kerry would be of more interest to me, it's older, and it has some a story.
    That wreck is a good example of how we regard our marine heritage – the storm had not even abated before the vultures alighted to steal the copper fastenings from her timbers.
    I would agree that we could do with a maritime museum of sort but to start off with an Aran Island ferry? Surely we can (and yes, should) do better.
    Another example of the opinionated ignorance that abounds in this country. We already HAVE a National Maritime Museum. However, it is grossly underfunded both by the State and by voluntary subscriptions, so you can look here and maybe visit or send a few quid if you feel so strongly about marine heritage.

Nothing surprises me anymore, considering that the State trousered the insurance cheque for the Asgard II and shamefully did nothing about a replacement . The Jeanie Johnston is being allowed to decay tied to a quay wall; Dun Laoghaire Rathdown built an abortion of a new Library on the seafront (against the wishes of many locals) that will cost €40 million yet for a fraction of the cost a dedicated maritime heritage centre could easily be housed on the Carlisle Pier and linked with the actual museum just across the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Another example of the opinionated ignorance that abounds in this country. We already HAVE a National Maritime Museum. However, it is grossly underfunded both by the State and by voluntary subscriptions, so you can look here and maybe visit or send a few quid if you feel so strongly about marine heritage.

Why am I getting picked on for being opinionated :( Have you read the rest of the thread?

I'll accept the ignorance point though, what I know of Irish maritime heritage and the preservation thereof I've learnt from this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Why am I getting picked on for being opinionated :( Have you read the rest of the thread?

I'll accept the ignorance point though, what I know of Irish maritime heritage and the preservation thereof I've learnt from this thread.

Not picking on you Funlover, no personal offense meant. I've been following the thread and while I like the notion of rescuing the Naomh Eanna, I am realistic about the value proposition and believe that the amount of cash necessary could be put to far more efficient use elsewhere. A time comes when the kindest thing is to send for the vet and a needle. The Eanna could be the focus of a starting point for debate on maritime heritage.

Lots of people are in favour of saving something but when the time comes to put hand in pocket...... A bit like a listed house, you spend a fortune maintaining it, doing without all sorts of things because you get bu##er all support and then you get told 'You should not be charging to see the garden, it should be free.' And then, when your back is turned, out come the scissors and a slow-growing shrub is hacked back to a stump for cuttings. Ever see what a busload of ............sorry, rant over! Stay with us here, don't mind old curmudgeons like me!

Advertisement