Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lunch ideas for bringing to work

Options
  • 15-01-2014 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for some ideas on what to take to work with me for my lunch, I usually grab a roll with chicken and salad but im getting bored with this and its probably not that healthy anyway, so, what do people take to work with them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

last nights left overs

tuna salad

beef and mango salad

steak sandwhich

roast chicken

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Soup

Porridge

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭siochain

last nights left overs

This is the best and handiest option, make extra and bring it with ya.

Some times I'll have last nights cooked meat for breakfast and lunch the next day.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Mince is great. Make bolognese or chili con carne on a sunday night. Stick em in the fridge and eat them with wholegrain pasta / brown rice

Presuming theres a microwave available to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

When you have a microwave you can have lots of ideas open to you. Bring in some omelette mixture (eggs, milk, peppers, onions, cheese), keep in fridge, nuke for lunch. Leftovers with mince like bolognese, chilli, taco mix. Potatoes (though not roasted) with veg & meat is nice though could need some sauce to liven it up depending on what you season the meat with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

conzy wrote: »
    Mince is great. Make bolognese or chili con carne on a sunday night. Stick em in the fridge and eat them with wholegrain pasta / brown rice

Presuming theres a microwave available to you?

Agree with this, made Chilli last night and actually cannot wait for lunch to eat it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭dines08

If anything, like a stew, the leftovers are even nicer the next day. I made a chicken tikka masala on Monday and it did me 3 days for lunch. Each day it tasted better, not insanely healthy but bit of Wholegrain rice and it wasn't so bad

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Terry Wogans Inner Thigh

Leftovers. Nom.

Soup. I make a big pot of soup for Saturday lunch and then freeze about three portions so I have a variety of soup in the fridge to choose from. This week I made carrot , coconut and chilli and it was very tasty indeed.

Leftovers. Nom.

Soup. I make a big pot of soup for Saturday lunch and then freeze about three portions so I have a variety of soup in the fridge to choose from. This week I made carrot , coconut and chilli and it was very tasty indeed.

Leftovers. Nom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Leftovers. Nom.

any chance you could post the recipe for that!? Sounds awesome! :)

any chance you could post the recipe for that!? Sounds awesome! :)[/quotehttp://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/12276/lightly-spiced-carrot-soup

I used this recipe, adjusted it a little though, I don't like coconut milk so used fresh grated coconut instead, left out the lemongrass too, didn't have any in the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

When you have a microwave you can have lots of ideas open to you. Bring in some omelette mixture (eggs, milk, peppers, onions, cheese), keep in fridge, nuke for lunch. Leftovers with mince like bolognese, chilli, taco mix. Potatoes (though not roasted) with veg & meat is nice though could need some sauce to liven it up depending on what you season the meat with.

This is such a good idea, cant believe I never thought of it! Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭cullenswood

This is such a good idea, cant believe I never thought of it! Thanks!

Yes, even three eggs, lob them in a mug, stick in microwave for less than two mins, and scrambled egg done and done.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,552 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Yes, even three eggs, lob them in a mug, stick in microwave for less than two mins, and scrambled egg done and done.

Make sure the eggs are beaten, not stirred.

The yokes have a tendancy to explode otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,498 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Not the best lunch material, but I make batches of bacon, spinach and goats cheese frittatas (or something like them) and freeze them. Two of these make a tasty microwaveable breakfast

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

It can be difficult to get to use the micromave where I work so I got a 20euro thermos in argos. Heat food in the morning and its still warm at lunch. Being warm for an extended time make is great for stews/soup or bolognaise/chilli.
    I find food heated in the microwave cools very quickly too.
    Decent homemade sambos are good too maybe cook some extra meat when doing your dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭grimm2005

I normally always have a lettuce wrap with a different filling each day and a piece of fruit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

I bring leftovers of these dinners:
    Chicken curry/Noodles
    Ginger chicken stir fry/Noodles
    Spag Bol
    Shepherds Pie
    Sczechuan chilli chicken/Noodles

Sometimes when Ive no leftovers I bring a pitta bread with chicken/salad or Ryvita slices and cheese/tomato etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

I mixed up some left over mashed potatoes with cottage cheese and spring onion for a tasty, low fat potato salad. Added some cooked chicken breast to it today and it made for a very handy snack right out of the fridge.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭5p9arw38djv2b4

Jacket potato with filling - filling of any left over dinner or tin of tuna with sweetcorn etc? The frozen McCain's jacket pot you can buy are really fab. If just bake your jackets at home if you have time

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

I bring a load of chicken and eat it with two oranges.

Weird I know.

Or else I bring in yesterday's dinner and invariably lose/forget the plate.

Advertisement