Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Most depressing Dunnes in Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Any Dunnes is depressing as fuck when they ask you for ID when buying alcohol despite being 27, having facial hair and going thin on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

Off topic but has anyone ever had a confirmed sighting of someone buying something from the Paul Costello range?

I haven't felt the need to spend 50 bucks on a leather washbag as yet...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Off topic but has anyone ever had a confirmed sighting of someone buying something from the Paul Costello range?

Yeah. Got some guest towels from a mate for Christmas last year. Very nice they are too...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

This woman was so depressed by the Dunnes that she was in that she went to the jacks and literally drank herself to death
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/dunnes-revises-procedures-after-woman-dies-in-toilets-overnight-1.1933717

Joking aside it was a sad case. She bought a bottle of vodka and lucozade, presumably with the intention of having a few at home. When in Dunnes she used the toilets but to get them she walked through the cafe which was closed and had chairs covering the entrance marking it as so. She moved the chairs and went to the toilet and ended up getting locked into it over night. So after no response to her cries for help she cracks open the bottle of vodka inside the toilet cublicle and ends up dying from alcohol poisoning.

To be honest if I found myself locked into a Dunnes jacks over night I'd be more than happy about having a bottle of vodka on hand to help get you through the night and somehow sleep on a hard floor with no blanket or pillow. But to end up dead, different kettle of fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

In my local Dunnes they had a cardboard cut out of Paul Costello standing there beside a bed with a grin on his face. Pissed myself laughing when I first saw it, the look on his face when matched beside a bed was just classic. Annoyed I didnt take a pic now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Asdfghjkl987

Dunnes in Swords got the whole grocery part revamped and didn't touch the clothes part! It's absolutely. Horrible. Grotty flooring, leak stains on the ceiling, cranky staff and to top it all off the music! Oh my go I've never heard anything as bad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

I used to be a sales rep and spent everyday for almost ten years going in and out of Dunnes. There's not a doubt in my mind that are some Dunnes managers who should have been drowned at birth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I used to be a sales rep and spent everyday for almost ten years going in and out of Dunnes. There's not a doubt in my mind that all Dunnes managers who should have been drowned at birth.

FYP :D

FYP :D

lol, well I do remember one absolute gent, who obviously I'm not going to name, but anyone who knows him will recognise him from this description. Small, bald, glasses, Norn Irish man. Last I knew of him was about a year ago and he was in Ennis then. Complete gentleman, and I know all the staff there would do anything for him because he treated everyone with respect. I guarantee you if you ask any rep, they will say the same about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

^ There'll always be nice exceptions. Probably happy in their job and have no further ambitions. The pricks are going to be Gordon Gekko wannabes who treat the bottom-line as king and will trample on anyone, staff or customer on their self-perceived rush to the top.
    The truth is they burn out mid-30s and wind up in the alleyway outside the shop fishing for empty bottles in the skips. Retirement - Dunnes style.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭babygirlz

lol, well I do remember one absolute gent, who obviously I'm not going to name, but anyone who knows him will recognise him from this description. Small, bald, glasses, Norn Irish man. Last I knew of him was about a year ago and he was in Ennis then. Complete gentleman, and I know all the staff there would do anything for him because he treated everyone with respect. I guarantee you if you ask any rep, they will say the same about him.
    Initials EP??

I can believe some people think dunnes Ennis is a kip. I think it's a fine store, very clean and most of the staff seem happy there. Many of them are there since it opened 20 years ago.

babygirlz wrote: »
    Initials EP??

YES! I finished repping about 2 years ago. Is he still there?

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭babygirlz

YES! I finished repping about 2 years ago. Is he still there?

Yes he is, he is an absolute dote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

The one in Stillorgan looks as if it hasn't been done up since about 1975.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

sadie06 wrote: »
    Penneys' flagship stores may be all shiny and impressive, but they have some utter kips tucked into corners that are far more grim than any Dunnes. Naas and Rathfarnham shopping centre spring to mind.

The one in Rathfarnham shopping centre isn't too bad. But the one in Nutgrove is an absolute dump.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭chrysagon

Try Navan... been in it twice..that was enough

It seems the Stephens Green branch has been given a new lease of life! Doesn't look half bad inside but the shop front is disgusting

• Registered Users Posts: 19,386 ✭✭✭✭road_high

It seems the Stephens Green branch has been given a new lease of life! Doesn't look half bad inside but the shop front is disgusting

Same with their branch in Kieran St., Kilkenny. All very swish and modern.
    Lots of Designer clothes displays also.
    Bizarre company though, I actually think they are poorly run and could be so much more successful if they (management) were a little more pragmatic and human.

road_high wrote: »
    Same with their branch in Kieran St., Kilkenny. All very swish and modern.
    Lots of Designer clothes displays also.
    Bizarre company though, I actually think they are poorly run and could be so much more successful if they (management) were a little more pragmatic and human.

I can't understand why they won't operate like any other normal company. Fancy new fit-outs but they still won't treat the staff any better.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Both Kirean St.and Mc Donagh in Kilkenny,staff are like robots. They wouldn't make eye contact if you were giving them a million euro. Management are included in that. One lad in McDonagh is not too bad but the rest need training.

• Advertisement

NufcNavan wrote: »
    Fits in well with the rest of the town so.

Hey!!

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 19,386 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Both Kirean St.and Mc Donagh in Kilkenny,staff are like robots. They wouldn't make eye contact if you were giving them a million euro. Management are included in that. One lad in McDonagh is not too bad but the rest need training.

Yea I find that too. They always look very demoralised and subdued. Aldi lidl staff are positively cheerful by comparison!

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭toptom

Oakville Clonmel, Used to go down regularly with the missus years ago, Car park always had winos and bums going over and back from the benches and the wall. Disgracefully blatant

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭XplaygirlX

I only go to Dunne's for their jammys. Have been for years. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 37,770 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

id say its hard to get a job in dunnes/tescos etc as 'Patrica on customer service gets her nephew a job there lol etc'

i cant work in one tesco in my area because the whole staff in the place hates me lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭SMJSF

Dun Laoghaire.... The staff look totally lost and fed up, and seems like it's a hassle to them for you to even walk into the store because your interrupting their gossip!

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Froshtbit

Dunnes in Portlaoise. How is it still open?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,823 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Froshtbit wrote: »
    Dunnes in Portlaoise. How is it still open?

The one on the Green Road?

It's open because it actually does good business , but it does look depressing :(

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Froshtbit

Is there another one? Does it? I've lived nearby for nigh on 3 years and been in it a handfull of times to find it empty.

One of the staff members makes me lol though. He walks everywhere as if he's on the cat walk. Comical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,823 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Froshtbit wrote: »
    Is there another one? Does it? I've lived nearby for nigh on 3 years and been in it a handfull of times to find it empty.

One of the staff members makes me lol though. He walks everywhere as if he's on the cat walk. Comical.

The main Dunne Stores is in the Kyle Centre , directly behind Laois Shopping Centre . It's a big store , but I don't actually go to it , always the one on the green road .

Ah that chap is lovely !! Such a lovely polite young lad , and so funny ! Doing well in college he is.

Advertisement