Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

WATER KEFIR GRAINS

Options
  • 26-05-2012 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

It is very difficult to find or get from someone water kefir grains in Ireland. Some people share with each other.
    Water kefir is a fantastic pro-biotic drink that has many health benefits due to the bacteria that will keep you healthy. Water kefir is loaded with vitamins, minerals and enzymes. It is even suitable for diabetics. It is good for arthritis, skin, migraines, muscles, heart, liver, nerves, eyes, lungs, kidneys and blood. It is known as a great aid for digestion and overall health.
    It could be great solution for people who do not wish to consume dairy products as water kefir provides the living pro-biotics.

And drinking Water Kefir is a good way to keep our digestive health in balance.
    Restore your inner health and strengthen your immune system. When the body is out of balance, the unfriendly opportunistic guys take over – producing headaches, flu, skin rashes, food allergies, and other more serious disorders.

What you’ll need

1-2 spoons of water kefir grains
    1/2 cup cane sugar (can also be refined white sugar, raw sugar, brown sugar, sugar cane juice or even muscavado)
    6 raisins, sultanas, dried prunes or any other fruit)
    half a lemon
    1-1.5 liter mineral water
    2 liter glass container
    cloth or lid for container
    plastic sieve
    plastic spoon

Steps

Dissolve sugar in mineral water.
    In the container, pour in mineral water and add the sugar. Dissolve sugar using plastic spoon.
    Add kefir grains, raisins and lemon.
    Cover the container with a cloth or lid. Make sure it is not air-tight.
    Place away from sunlight and leave at room temperature of 18oC – 25oC (65oF – 77oF).
    Let ferment for 24, 48 or 72 hours.

Strain and separate kefir grains and everything else.
    Using the plastic sieve separate the kefir grains from the raisins or fruits. Store the kefir grains for the next batch.
    Drink your water kefir.

If you take care about them they can last for many years, growing up every week. You can share with someone else.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 aarthyk

Hello Kate,

I would love to get some grains from you. But was wondering if you can post it.
    Thanks - Aarthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ntuohy

Hi,

I'd love to get my hands on some kefir grains, are you able to share some with me? I'm in dublin, I can pay for post and packaging if you are far from me.

Would be mucho apreciated!

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

sorry for being a dick and butting in but

"Restore your inner health"

"When the body is out of balance"

those kind of phrases actually annoy the pee out of me.

*removes self from thread after rant*

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Kate1968

Hi,

Can you send me a private messgae with your postage details please? I will share some water kefir grains with you.

Kate
    ntuohy wrote: »
    Hi,

I'd love to get my hands on some kefir grains, are you able to share some with me? I'm in dublin, I can pay for post and packaging if you are far from me.

Would be mucho apreciated!

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Geraldo1981

Hey Kate1968. Id really like to get some grains off you as soon as possible. Im in Dublin!!

Ger

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭andreas_220D

Hi, we are making organic water kefir for quite a while at home. As the grains grow constantly (they nearly double with each batch ;)) we have enough grains to pass on every two days. So everyone who is interested just drop me a line. We live in Dublin - Clontarf. If you cannot collect them I am also happy to post them out to you if you cover the postage.

This is by the way the information I passed on to everybody I gave the water kefir grains. You might find it just as informative as Kate's info, which is already pretty good.

Water Kefir Instructions

The most important things first:

1. Never use Metal utensils because this would kill the Kefir grains. Use spoons, sieve or container made of Plastic, Wood or Glass instead!

2. Don’t use chlorinated or fluoridated water. These are deadly poisons and will also kill the Kefir grains.
    Ireland’s tap water is badly fluoridated. Use filtered (no Britta filters!) water or still bottled water instead. (e.g. Carrick Glen Water from LIDL. It’s cheap and contains lots of calcium.)
    A little note: Ireland’s fluoridated tap water quickly kills the Kefir grains. For more information see: www.fluoridefreewater.ie

3. The Kefir needs calcium for growth, e.g. VOLVIC water is therefore not recommended as it is very low in calcium and the Kefir grains will not continue to grow, eventually they will just grow old and die after a period of time)

All You Need:

1 clean jar (1 ½ litre jar with a lid, e.g. KILNER glass jar)
    1 plastic spoon
    1 plastic sieve

1 L Water
    3 TbSp Sugar
    1 TbSp Raisins(or one dried fig, apricot etc.)
    ½ organic (pesticide free) peeled lemon (or clean juice of it) – This is an alternative. If you don’t like the bitter taste just don’t use the peeled lemon.

3 TbSp of Water Kefir Grains

Preparation:

Put the water into the jar.
    Dissolve the sugar in the water.
    Add the raisons and the peeled lemon slice.
    Add the Water Kefir grains, stir using a plastic spoon.
    Close the glass and let it brew in a dark and warm place. (E.g. warm water cupboard, airing cupboard would be a very good choice) Water Kefir grains like temperatures between 20-25 Degrees Celsius best, but not more than 30 Degrees and no lower than 5 Degrees) The higher the temperature the quicker the fermentation process.

Check and stir after 24 hours.

The Water Kefir is done at 48 hours.
    Strain the grains out using the plastic sieve, discard any fruit and store the now finished and bottled Water Kefir in the fridge in airtight bottles or jars.

What is Water Kefir?

Water Kefir grains are a symbiotic culture of bacteria and yeast held in a polymer created by the bacteria. Water Kefir grains feed off sugar to produce lactic acid, acetic acid, various other acids, and carbon dioxide.
    By culturing sugar water using the water Kefir grains, you are creating a lacto-fermented drink. Lacto-fermentation is the process where lactobacilli (lactic acid producing bacteria) convert sugars or starches into lactic acid. Lactic acid is a natural preservative that prevents the growth of harmful bacteria. Used in traditional cultures to preserve foods, lacto-fermentation creates a food teeming with probiotics, good yeasts, and increased nutrient values. The synthesis of lactic acid and other acids often increases vitamin values, including vitamin C and various B vitamins.
    Kefir provides dozens of beneficial bacteria and yeast strains that can benefit your body.

Growing the Kefir Grains

The water Kefir grains will grow better in a high-mineral environment. Using high mineral sweeteners such as sucanat, rapadura, or adding a bit of molasses to your brew will help your grains grow faster. E.g. if only sucanat, the grains double each batch. If your grains are not growing and you want them to, brew one or two rounds with only sucanat, rapadura, or with some added molasses. Some waters or juices are also high mineral and work well for growing your grains. Using still water high in calcium does the trick also.

Storing the Grains

When you are not making water Kefir, you can store your grains in a glass jar with anywhere from double to several times the amount of liquid as grains. Add one or two tbsps of sugar to feed the grains. You may store it at room temperature or in the fridge. If storing at room temperature, change out the liquid for new water and sugar every 2 to 3 days. If storing in the fridge, you can go up to a week or two. If storing in the fridge, the first brew that you make from the grains may take a bit longer since the bacteria and yeasts will take a while to become active again.

Alcohol Content

Water Kefir can contain anywhere from 0.2 to 2% alcohol with a 48 hour fermentation. To put it into perspective, wine is usually 7 to 15% alcohol. The alcohol content in water Kefir varies widely depending on the type and amount of sweetener added, amount of grains, and fermentation time. A higher ratio of sugar will yield a more alcoholic drink, as will a shorter fermentation time. If you are alcohol sensitive, I would recommend using less Kefir grain to sugar water ratio and doing a longer brew, tasting periodically.

What do I do with my extra grains?

• Eat them! They are a great source of probiotics!
    • Give them away. Give a tbsp or two to a friend so they can make their own healthful sodas and beverages. Lacto-fermented beverages aid in digestion, provide lots of good nutrients and enzymes, and are an excellent and inexpensive source of probiotics.
    • Use them to make lacto-fermented vegetables like sauerkraut. You can use Kefir grains instead of whey to inoculate your lacto-fermented vegetables with good bacteria and yeast.
    • Compost them. If your grains are taking over your fridge and counters like they do mine, throw them in your compost pile. The bacteria will happily help you munch away at your compost pile. Microbials are great for soil health too!

What do I do with overbrewed water Kefir?

Sometimes you let your water Kefir go too long and make water Kefir vinegar. If this happens, you can:
    • Use the water Kefir vinegar as a cleaner. It smells great and works great – just place in a spray bottle and use on your counters.
    • Use it as a hair rinse. If you’re doing “no poo” (no shampoo), water Kefir is great for rebalancing your hair PH after a baking soda wash.

More Information:

The origin of the water kefir crystals probably is Mexico. Water kefir crystals are also commonly referred to as water kefir grains. These crystals or grains are translucent with a firm, opaque texture. Water kefir crystals have been used to make water kefir for centuries. Hearsay has it that people who live in the Caucasus Mountains maintain optimal health and wellness by drinking water kefir and/or milk kefir on a daily basis.

Water kefir is considered to be even better then milk kefir and the effect is similar. Water kefir tastes very good and one becomes accustomed to looking forward to it everyday. Water kefir contains large amounts of lactic acid bacteria, yeast, vitamin B (very good tonic) and vitamin C – all of which help to balance the internal microflora.

Water Kefir fermented only 24 hours acts as a laxative. In the case of constipation, kefir should be taken at night for a period of 2 to 4 weeks. Water Kefir fermented 48 hours has a normalizing effect. Older kefir may retard bowel movement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

PMed andreas_220D - thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Kohhal

Thanks to Andrea for the grains, arrived today after being posted yesterday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 38 rom9

Hi ! I would also like some of the Water kefir grains. How can I contact you ? THanks a million !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

Hi,

From what I have read ( and I'm new to this ) your drink if full of vitamins and minerals.

Vitamins and minerals are an essential part of everyone's diet.

As far as I am aware vitamins and minerals don't have an 'restorative' properties unless one had been deficient in them for some time.

Therefore I'd suggest readers eat a balanced diet and not bother with this 'pro-biotic' drink.

Healthy diet really is not rocket science.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Danpad

colossus-x wrote: »
    Hi,

From what I have read ( and I'm new to this ) your drink if full of vitamins and minerals.

Vitamins and minerals are an essential part of everyone's diet.

As far as I am aware vitamins and minerals don't have an 'restorative' properties unless one had been deficient in them for some time.

Therefore I'd suggest readers eat a balanced diet and not bother with this 'pro-biotic' drink.

Healthy diet really is not rocket science.

IMO, it is the 'balanced diets' we eat, mostly bought from mainstream supermarkets, which necessitate the need for pro-biotic drinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 manobi

I live in the Galway area. Do you still have kefir to share?
    Hi, we are making organic water kefir for quite a while at home. As the grains grow constantly (they nearly double with each batch ;)) we have enough grains to pass on every two days. So everyone who is interested just drop me a line. We live in Dublin - Clontarf. If you cannot collect them I am also happy to post them out to you if you cover the postage.

This is by the way the information I passed on to everybody I gave the water kefir grains. You might find it just as informative as Kate's info, which is already pretty good.

Water Kefir Instructions

1. Never use Metal utensils because this would kill the Kefir grains. Use spoons, sieve or container made of Plastic, Wood or Glass instead!

2. Don’t use chlorinated or fluoridated water. These are deadly poisons and will also kill the Kefir grains.
    Ireland’s tap water is badly fluoridated. Use filtered (no Britta filters!) water or still bottled water instead. (e.g. Carrick Glen Water from LIDL. It’s cheap and contains lots of calcium.)
    A little note: Ireland’s fluoridated tap water quickly kills the Kefir grains. For more information see: www.fluoridefreewater.ie

3. The Kefir needs calcium for growth, e.g. VOLVIC water is therefore not recommended as it is very low in calcium and the Kefir grains will not continue to grow, eventually they will just grow old and die after a period of time)

All You Need:

1 plastic spoon
    1 plastic sieve

1 L Water
    3 TbSp Sugar
    ½ organic (pesticide free) peeled lemon (or clean juice of it) – This is an alternative. If you don’t like the bitter taste just don’t use the peeled lemon.

Preparation:

Close the glass and let it brew in a dark and warm place. (E.g. warm water cupboard, airing cupboard would be a very good choice) Water Kefir grains like temperatures between 20-25 Degrees Celsius best, but not more than 30 Degrees and no lower than 5 Degrees) The higher the temperature the quicker the fermentation process.

Strain the grains out using the plastic sieve, discard any fruit and store the now finished and bottled Water Kefir in the fridge in airtight bottles or jars.

What is Water Kefir?

Water Kefir grains are a symbiotic culture of bacteria and yeast held in a polymer created by the bacteria. Water Kefir grains feed off sugar to produce lactic acid, acetic acid, various other acids, and carbon dioxide.
    By culturing sugar water using the water Kefir grains, you are creating a lacto-fermented drink. Lacto-fermentation is the process where lactobacilli (lactic acid producing bacteria) convert sugars or starches into lactic acid. Lactic acid is a natural preservative that prevents the growth of harmful bacteria. Used in traditional cultures to preserve foods, lacto-fermentation creates a food teeming with probiotics, good yeasts, and increased nutrient values. The synthesis of lactic acid and other acids often increases vitamin values, including vitamin C and various B vitamins.
    Kefir provides dozens of beneficial bacteria and yeast strains that can benefit your body.

Growing the Kefir Grains

The water Kefir grains will grow better in a high-mineral environment. Using high mineral sweeteners such as sucanat, rapadura, or adding a bit of molasses to your brew will help your grains grow faster. E.g. if only sucanat, the grains double each batch. If your grains are not growing and you want them to, brew one or two rounds with only sucanat, rapadura, or with some added molasses. Some waters or juices are also high mineral and work well for growing your grains. Using still water high in calcium does the trick also.

Storing the Grains

When you are not making water Kefir, you can store your grains in a glass jar with anywhere from double to several times the amount of liquid as grains. Add one or two tbsps of sugar to feed the grains. You may store it at room temperature or in the fridge. If storing at room temperature, change out the liquid for new water and sugar every 2 to 3 days. If storing in the fridge, you can go up to a week or two. If storing in the fridge, the first brew that you make from the grains may take a bit longer since the bacteria and yeasts will take a while to become active again.

Alcohol Content

Water Kefir can contain anywhere from 0.2 to 2% alcohol with a 48 hour fermentation. To put it into perspective, wine is usually 7 to 15% alcohol. The alcohol content in water Kefir varies widely depending on the type and amount of sweetener added, amount of grains, and fermentation time. A higher ratio of sugar will yield a more alcoholic drink, as will a shorter fermentation time. If you are alcohol sensitive, I would recommend using less Kefir grain to sugar water ratio and doing a longer brew, tasting periodically.

• Give them away. Give a tbsp or two to a friend so they can make their own healthful sodas and beverages. Lacto-fermented beverages aid in digestion, provide lots of good nutrients and enzymes, and are an excellent and inexpensive source of probiotics.
    • Use them to make lacto-fermented vegetables like sauerkraut. You can use Kefir grains instead of whey to inoculate your lacto-fermented vegetables with good bacteria and yeast.
    • Compost them. If your grains are taking over your fridge and counters like they do mine, throw them in your compost pile. The bacteria will happily help you munch away at your compost pile. Microbials are great for soil health too!

Sometimes you let your water Kefir go too long and make water Kefir vinegar. If this happens, you can:
    • Use the water Kefir vinegar as a cleaner. It smells great and works great – just place in a spray bottle and use on your counters.
    • Use it as a hair rinse. If you’re doing “no poo” (no shampoo), water Kefir is great for rebalancing your hair PH after a baking soda wash.

More Information:

The origin of the water kefir crystals probably is Mexico. Water kefir crystals are also commonly referred to as water kefir grains. These crystals or grains are translucent with a firm, opaque texture. Water kefir crystals have been used to make water kefir for centuries. Hearsay has it that people who live in the Caucasus Mountains maintain optimal health and wellness by drinking water kefir and/or milk kefir on a daily basis.

Water kefir is considered to be even better then milk kefir and the effect is similar. Water kefir tastes very good and one becomes accustomed to looking forward to it everyday. Water kefir contains large amounts of lactic acid bacteria, yeast, vitamin B (very good tonic) and vitamin C – all of which help to balance the internal microflora.

Water Kefir fermented only 24 hours acts as a laxative. In the case of constipation, kefir should be taken at night for a period of 2 to 4 weeks. Water Kefir fermented 48 hours has a normalizing effect. Older kefir may retard bowel movement.

manobi wrote: »
    I live in the Galway area. Do you still have kefir to share?
    Yes, we have many of them at the moment. We live in Co. Wicklow, so posting would be an option. Send me a PM for details.

Anyone else who wants Water Kefir grains -> Pm me as well :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

Anyone got a Kombucha Mushroom going?

Anyone got a Kombucha Mushroom going?
    We have a nice one. PM me your details.

We have loads of grains at the moment. Anyone who's interested -> PM

• Registered Users Posts: 9 G88

Hey thank you for such a generous kind offer. Are you still in Clontarf? I'm close to there myself and could collect if you still have some left over. Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Kate1968

Hi,

I have some water kefir grains but I am from Sligo. If you want me to post some I can do that. Unfortunately I have to charge for P&P.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 hannaghmc

Water Kefir Instructions

All You Need:

1 plastic spoon
    1 plastic sieve

1 L Water
    3 TbSp Sugar

Preparation:

What is Water Kefir?

Growing the Kefir Grains

Storing the Grains

Alcohol Content

More Information:

Hi andreas hope you still have kefir to share
    found your info very helpful
    will pay for p&p and kefir if needed
    does sugar stay in water after fermentation or is it all
    turned into lactose? just wondering is it safe for diabetics.
    hannaghmc:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Deirdre_01

Hi Andreas,
    I'm definitely interested in the water kefir grains if they're still available? I'm in Waterford but I can cover the cost of postage if that suits? Haven't used them before but looking forward to trying =)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭Soarer

It's amazing how many first time posters decided to pop their cherry in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Jacqueline Manzoni

Hi there I'm new here tday!
    Can you tell me do you have grains to sell for water kefir
    I will pay post of course
    Thank you.
    I meant to allocate this to people above who said they have and to pm tem. I'm useless on computers no can do.
    Can someone enlighten me or repy re Keifer grains
    Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 2 davo3

Yes, we have many of them at the moment. We live in Co. Wicklow, so posting would be an option. Send me a PM for details.

Anyone else who wants Water Kefir grains -> Pm me as well :-)
    Hi Andreas
    I am looking for water kerif grains and I live near stratford on slaney, so can you tell me where you are or if I could meet you somewhere.
    thanks
    Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

Hi :)

I have extra kefir grains if anyone wants them, I can't believe how fast they multiply, I've already given 4 batches away and now I still have more!

I am in Dublin city center, pm me for details.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Aine55

Does anyone have kefir water grains?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Aine55

Andreas,
    Please post to me info about how I can get the water grains. I live in County Kerry. I will pay postage.
    Thanks!
    Anne

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Adventure Pout

Hi Andrea and other kefir offer,
    If you have some water kefir, I will be interested.
    Will pay for p&p. Let me know by pm.
    Or if in Dublin, I can meetup in town. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Kallaroo

Hello
    I'm also interested in water kefir
    I live in dublin (dundrum) and can meet or pay for p&p
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭DIRTY69

Hey there

I am very keen too,

Kombucha cultures and Kefir cultures,

If anyone has some or knows where I can get some that would be amazing!

I'm in Dublin 6, meet anywhere local, or postage if needed.

Thanks a mil!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 gerrymaher

I am looking for some water kefir grains. If anybody has some to spare I'd love to take them off you:) I live in Dublin and could collect city centre or will pay P&P.

Thanks a mil

Gerry

Advertisement