Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BBC Horizon - Eat, Fast, Live Longer

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Vico1612 wrote: »
    According to his Twitter update, the book is coming out in January and will be called The Fast Diet.

Book is out the 10th of Jan. Ill look forward to reading this.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Fast-Diet-Intermittent-Fasting/dp/1780721676/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1355943823&sr=8-2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭danlen

The whole point of intermittent fasting is that you do go hungry, so no apples. When you're hungry your cells start repairing themselves (that's how I understood it, anyway), which will give you a healthier and longer life.
    The fact that you can lose wheight this way is a bonus, but not the objective.

One thing that most people are not aware of is that this cell "clean out" of unhelpful/damaged components is the process of autophagy, which comes about from protein fasting.

So a lot of the benefits of fasting can be achieved through just consuming protein within a condensed window, rather than an all out fast.

A practical implementation would be having a very high-fat food (e.g. coconut milk) in the morning, thus keeping satiation high through the day but consuming close to no protein and so keeping autophagy running, and then eating your protein in the afternoon/dinner as usual.

Just another possible tool for those who don't find IF a good fit for them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

would coconut oil work instead of coconut milk?

i have lots of coconut oil and coconut milk looks expensive whenever I decide I can't be bothered spending money on it in superquinn

--edit

apparently it would!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭tommyboy2222

If you would like to incorporate fasting into your life I would recommend Brad Pilons Eat Stop Eat.

Here he compares his approach with Dr. Mosleys:

http://bradpilon.com/weight-loss/the-52-diet-my-review/

I found it a great read and extremely simple to apply.

Ok so I finished reading the fast diet by M. Mosley & Mimi Spencer. It answerd 95% of what I wanted to know. His web site should be up and running at some stage next week which will help with other info & tips. I going try the 5:2 approach & ill try for the Monday & Thursday for fast days. Im looking forward to starting it. Maybe after a few months ill report back with progress.

Some posters started already. How are you getting on now?

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

Ok so I finished reading the fast diet by M. Mosley & Mimi Spencer. It answerd 95% of what I wanted to know. His web site should be up and running at some stage next week which will help with other info & tips. I going try the 5:2 approach & ill try for the Monday & Thursday for fast days. Im looking forward to starting it. Maybe after a few months ill report back with progress.

Some posters started already. How are you getting on now?

:)

Not too great over the festive season :eek:
    But no worries, I'll be having my first fast day again this Monday.
    Did the book say anything about consecutive or non consecutive days ?

Not too great over the festive season :eek:
    But no worries, I'll be having my first fast day again this Monday.
    Did the book say anything about consecutive or non consecutive days ?

They reckon non consecutive is best mainly because most people would find it too difficult to do consecutive days. I personally feel I could manage non consecutive days without feeling too bad but I wouldnt like to attempt consecutive days. It doesnt have to be rigid. For example Ill aim for mon and thur as my fast days but if a night out on the beer fell on a thursday I can simply fast on the wed or fri. The book provides diet plans 600 calories for men on the fast days but the website will have alot more info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

Up till now I've had my fast days consecutive. Mondays and Tuesdays.
    It suits me perfectly as I am an all or nothing person. :D
    Anyway, I ordered the book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭madma

exactly it doesnt matter what days or when,its whatever works for each person.. i kickstarted my detox after new years day with a 40hr fast.. the longest ive ever done but it was grand. going to try do 2 days a week myself but spread out also.. also going to try keep to eating within a 5-6hr window each day..

• Advertisement

madma wrote: »
    exactly it doesnt matter what days or when,its whatever works for each person.. i kickstarted my detox after new years day with a 40hr fast.. the longest ive ever done but it was grand. going to try do 2 days a week myself but spread out also.. also going to try keep to eating within a 5-6hr window each day..

As far as I know the studies are still ongoing to establish whether consecutive Vs non-consecutive are best. But like you said its a personal choice and non-consecutive suits me better. If in the future studies show that consecutive days are better than its a different story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭patmac

Back on it today after a long Christmas and having put on 6lbs, looking forward to feeling well again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭madma

patmac wrote: »
    Back on it today after a long Christmas and having put on 6lbs, looking forward to feeling well again.

started back jan 2nd and have actually lost that amount in a week! its the xmas weight so it fell off quick enough as ive had the healthiest week of my life with cutting out all crap and doing IF with plenty of excercise. Last year it took me a month to get rid of the xmas weight but since then ive educated myself on nutrition and i find IF gives me a big boost also. gonna detox till end of the month and hopefully get the weight down as much as possible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭McSasquatch

Just finished watching the Horizon episode and I'm intrigued. I'm going to persue some of the links already posted, but if anyone else has any good reputable resources for IF data/research, I'd be very interested!

Darvich wrote: »
    Just finished watching the Horizon episode and I'm intrigued. I'm going to persue some of the links already posted, but if anyone else has any good reputable resources for IF data/research, I'd be very interested!

Michael mosleys web site should be up and running from tomorrow. Thinknits called www.thefastdiet.co.uk not sure.

I got through monday ok. It got a bit tough on my 20th hour. I have to fine tune it . Not sure if i should have my 600 calories for breakfast or for dinner in evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Ant11

Darvich wrote: »

Loads of info here http://www.leangains.com/?m=1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Piglet85

madma wrote: »
    started back jan 2nd and have actually lost that amount in a week! its the xmas weight so it fell off quick enough as ive had the healthiest week of my life with cutting out all crap and doing IF with plenty of excercise. Last year it took me a month to get rid of the xmas weight but since then ive educated myself on nutrition and i find IF gives me a big boost also. gonna detox till end of the month and hopefully get the weight down as much as possible

Same here! I'm on the diet since October, but gave it a break over Xmas. Back to it now and lost 5.5 lbs in the first week. I know some of that is bound to be water, but still, it's so encouraging. Particularly when you consider all the health benefits!
    Michael mosleys web site should be up and running from tomorrow. Thinknits called www.thefastdiet.co.uk not sure.

I got through monday ok. It got a bit tough on my 20th hour. I have to fine tune it . Not sure if i should have my 600 calories for breakfast or for dinner in evening.

The website's still not up, but it shouldn't be much longer. As far as the breakfast/dinner debate goes, it's different for everyone, but I find it easier to leave it til dinner. I don't get properly hungry until well into the day, and it's nice to have dinner to look forward to. I think if I used up my calories first thing I'd find the day very long after that!

Advertisement