Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arup Graduate

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Sorry guys if I was not clear. The thread was about Arup so didn't specify much.

No bother.
    I submitted my resume to Arup hong kong for graduate program for Electrical Engineer. I have been invited for a written test and an interview. I am kind of freaking out at what they will ask. So any information will be really helpful

I assume that they are interested in you because your CV aligns with the positions available. So it is likely looking over your college notes would be a good idea.

From talking to the head of my department recently it was made clear to me that he was "disappointed" some graduates knew nothing about the company that they were being interviewed for. So I would advise that you read up on Arup. It shows that you have an interest.

Have you a more specific idea about the type of work on offer other?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 akrockheartz19

2011 wrote: »
    No bother.

I assume that they are interested in you because your CV aligns with the positions available. So it is likely looking over your college notes would be a good idea.

From talking to the head of my department recently it was made clear to me that he was "disappointed" some graduates knew nothing about the company that they were being interviewed for. So I would advise that you read up on Arup. It shows that you have an interest.

Have you a more specific idea about the type of work on offer other?

I am currently working in a company that designs commercial buildings. That's basically what Arup does. So I am guessing my work will be Regarding designing of electrical systems for commercial building.

Also, there is a half hour test...any idea what kind of test will it be??

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I am currently working in a company that designs commercial buildings..That's basically what Arup does.

Arup do a hell of a lot more than that. If thats your assumption you havent prepared enough. Research Arup and some of the projects they

godtabh wrote: »
    Arup do a hell of a lot more than that. If thats your assumption you havent prepared enough. Research Arup and some of the projects they

I know about the projects they have done. I have done my research on the company. I read the job description. And its very similar to work I m already doing. That's why I said that...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I know about the projects they have done. I have done my research on the company. I read the job description. And its very similar to work I m already doing. That's why I said that...

If you came out with that in an interview I wouldn't be impressed. You need to understand your audience and anticipate likely questions. For a starters I would be researching competence based questions

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I read the job description. And its very similar to work I m already doing.

Well if you are comfortable with the job you are doing now and you are confident that the position on offer is a similar role then the technical part of the selection process should not be an issue. As already stated you should make it your business to throughly research Arup. From what I have seen employers are far more concerned with the attitude of graduates than their technical ability as this can be learnt through experience whereas someone technically brilliant that lacks commitment or is a poor team player is of little use.

Moving to Hong Kong will be a big change so I imagine that you will need to convince them that you are willing to fully commit and not quit after a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭BrianDug

From what I have seen employers are far more concerned with the attitude of graduates than their technical ability as this can be learnt through experience whereas someone technically brilliant that lacks commitment or is a poor team player is of little use.

Such a true statement!

2011 wrote: »
    Well if you are comfortable with the job you are doing now and you are confident that the position on offer is a similar role then the technical part of the selection process should not be an issue. As already stated you should make it your business to throughly research Arup. From what I have seen employers are far more concerned with the attitude of graduates than their technical ability as this can be learnt through experience whereas someone technically brilliant that lacks commitment or is a poor team player is of little use.

Moving to Hong Kong will be a big change so I imagine that you will need to convince them that you are willing to fully commit and not quit after a few weeks.

Thanks for all these tips...I will do as much research i can abt the company. If there is anything else...please let me know....

• Registered Users Posts: 6 turq10

Hi all, I have an interview with Arup in the UK next week. It is for the graduate programme, in geotechnics. I am hoping someone here could give me some tips.

When I am there I will do a short technical exercise before the interview, and I am wondering what this might be like?

Also I am wondering what the interview itself is like and what I should focus on during my preparation.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Anyone apply for the graduate program this year ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 Kev Cah

Ya I did, they got over 600 applications last year for the Europe region

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Jurrrr

Anyone apply for the graduate program this year ?

Had a talk in college about their programme a few months back. Lots of interest initially due to the fact it is ARUP, although, when someone asked what the salary was and we were told it was 23k it put a lot of people off straight away. A good number from my class (final year civil) have applied and are yet to hear anything. Not sure if the class is terrible or they are still going through applications.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭greenfield21

I wonder is there that many grad civils around, wit the numbers been so low in the colleges the last few years. Anybody know how many applied for the Arup grad programme this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭QuantumP

I know of a few masters lads who applied this year and have yet to hear anything, I reckon they're still going through applications!

Nobody I know has heard back yet either, I reckon the process is ongoing

Cork Office interviewing this week anyway so progress is being made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 hello4seasons!

I heard some contracts have already been sent out to past interns.

Offers are being made from Cork at the moment anyway, not sure what the deal is with the other offices.

Advertisement