Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Short Man Syndrome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Philo Beddoe

It got me thinking that over the years I've encountered plenty of short men who were complete arseholes. Much more so than tall men (which I'd count myself as being).

This has become known as Napoleon Complex over the years. Does being closer to the ground do something to the personality of small men? Is it over-compensation? Is it jealousy because tall people tend to get paid more?

Probably just confirmation bias.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

pundy wrote: »
    no, what im saying is totally accurate.

have you never seen a girl (granted not all are like this) get jealous and ragey when there are prettier girls in the room? it's the same type of thing.

the better looking person is always a threat because of the chip they have on their shoulder. it works the same if the small man is anxious about his own height and looks. they feel threatened and act out.
    I honestly dont know what type of people you lot hang around with. I know quite a few short guys and they're bloody awesome and havent an angry bone in their body.

RE: Prettier girls: When a good looking chick walks into a room where i am i'd be the first to point out how stunning she is. I/my friends would never feel threatened. Maybe it's an age thing tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭pundy

Tilly wrote: »
    I honestly dont know what type of people you lot hang around with. I know quite a few short guys and they're bloody awesome and havent an angry bone in their body.

RE: Prettier girls: When a good looking chick walks into a room where i am i'd be the first to point out how stunning she is. I/my friends would never feel threatened. Maybe it's an age thing tho.

how would you know they dont feel threatened? do they say "i dont feel threatened by that beauty who just walked in?" no they dont, they keep it to themselves, and it builds up and manifests itself as aggression within SOME people who already have a chip on their shoulder about being not as good looking/short/fat etc...

we're all guilty of it at some stage in our lives.

my point being, not all short men are going to be aggressive, but the ones who already have a chip on their shoulder about it ARE going to be more likely the ones who get aggressive.

and then matching that with my own personal experiences in the past, i would lean towards saying that IMO some of the smaller men i've encountered have been that way - and more fools them i suppose, judging by the amount of ladies on this thread saying they are into shorter men...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Muise...

how would you know they dont feel threatened? do they say "i dont feel threatened by that beauty who just walked in?" no they dont, they keep it to themselves, and it builds up and manifests itself as aggression within SOME people who already have a chip on their shoulder about being not as good looking/short/fat etc...

I think it's fairer to assume they don't feel threatened than it is to concoct a scenario for them based on your own bitterness.

we're all guilty of it at some stage in our lives.
    How do you know they feel this way if they keep it to themselves? You're either talking bollox or very young/hang around with young girls (who can be jealous but grow out of that).
    my point being, not all short men are going to be aggressive, but the ones who already have a chip on their shoulder about it ARE going to be more likely the ones who get aggressive.

and then matching that with my own personal experiences in the past, i would lean towards saying that IMO some of the smaller men i've encountered have been that way - and more fools them i suppose, judging by the amount of ladies on this thread saying they are into shorter men...

Exactly! From your experience! You've been unfortunate. Loads of us on here havent.

• Advertisement

Muise... wrote: »
    I think it's fairer to assume they don't feel threatened than it is to concoct a scenario for them based on your own bitterness.

im not bitter.

and i've seen it before. you all have.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭johnnyvegas22

a friend of mine is a small guy, he is overly comptetive and is a bit of an arsehole, he loves trying to have competitions for birds ect, has been grinding on me in recent times,

How do you know they feel this way if they keep it to themselves? You're either talking bollox or very young/hang around with young girls (who can be jealous but grow out of that).

Exactly! From your experience! You've been unfortunate. Loads of us on here havent.

good for you so.

im in my thirties. some people go on like that. just like you think not very much of me on the other side of this argument. it's how people go on. why would you try to pretend that everyone is getting along when people DO get jealous and some short men have chips on their shoulders about their height.

it's hardly a mystery. im not slagging short men, or anyone, i'm just stating fact that some people will manifest their own anger into aggressiveness towards others for any number of reasons.

it just so happens that this thread is focussed on short men and why some of them are aggressive.

so by your logic - Nobody gets jealous unless they are a young girl?

thats ridiculous.

i'll shorten the whole lot of my posts into a snappy sentence cos i'm done here:

some short men are angry.

Stuff & Stuff

some short men are angry.
    That's all ya had to say, sweet cheeks :)

That's all ya had to say, sweet cheeks :)

are you coming onto me? :P:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

6'1 female here. Short men are usually the first too make a big issue out of my height, and I HATE when someone draws attention to my height. So for that reason, I stay well away from short fella's.

are you coming onto me? :P:eek:
    Depends, how tall are you? :p

Depends, how tall are you? :p

if you're crotch height it could work... :D;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

panda100 wrote: »
    So for that reason, I stay well away from short fella's.

..dicks?

panda100 wrote: »
    6'1 female here. Short men are usually the first too make a big issue out of my height, and I HATE when someone draws attention to my height. So for that reason, I stay well away from short fella's.

We're all the same size lying down...sort of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,784 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I always tell them when it's starting to rain.

It's nice to be nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

Yes I have experienced it a number of times in my life, I find that about half of the small people I know have massively inflated egos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

I'm just back from a meeting that was chaired by a little, fat arsehole of a man. The type that is nearly taller sitting down than he is standing up. It got me thinking that over the years I've encountered plenty of short men who were complete arseholes. Much more so than tall men (which I'd count myself as being).

This has become known as Napoleon Complex over the years. Does being closer to the ground do something to the personality of small men? Is it over-compensation? Is it jealousy because tall people tend to get paid more?

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?! I'm furious! All the years I've had my 5 ft 10 backside sitting here and getting a modest wage. I'm getting straight on to HR about this :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Davarus Walrus

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?! I'm furious! All the years I've had my 5 ft 10 backside sitting here and getting a modest wage. I'm getting straight on to HR about this :pac:

I'm just going on what the research shows.

http://edition.cnn.com/2007/US/Careers/02/02/cb.tall.people/

"As if the vertically-challenged don't have to deal with enough (what with hemming pant legs, straining to peer over people at concerts, and struggling to reach the top shelf at grocery stores), it turns out taller people are better compensated than their shorter colleagues. To add insult to injury, height has not only been linked to larger paychecks and greater self-confidence, but also to higher intelligence".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭jane82

I find the taller people are the more boring or lacking in sense of humour they get.
    I think the op may have been annoyed somebody shorter than him was in charge or maybe he seen an arsehole and took note he was taller than him.
    Op if you ignore or disrespect somebody they may get aggressive. From your post you seem like the type to ignore or dismiss people shorter than you.
    You need to work on you.

• Advertisement

"As if the vertically-challenged don't have to deal with enough (what with hemming pant legs, straining to peer over people at concerts, and struggling to reach the top shelf at grocery stores), it turns out taller people are better compensated than their shorter colleagues. To add insult to injury, height has not only been linked to larger paychecks and greater self-confidence, but also to higher intelligence".

Well you can hardly blame anyone for that can you? :o It doesn't matter what height you are. Plenty of ar*eholes around, male and female, of all sizes. I grew up with a complex about my height. Ignorant b1tches constantly saying, "God she's very tall isn't she?" to my mum, nothing else to interest them, no jobs to go to (in the 80's) (Note to self, when I have kids, box the head off anyone who passes remarks about their size within the kid's earshot). I always wanted to be smaller. I wasn't allowed into ballet school - "she's too tall, try swimming" - tf? (cue worlds smallest violin) If a child wants to do ballet, fuucking let her. I always wore flats and hunched down in an effort to make myself appear shorter.

Eventually, I got tired of the bullsh1t and started wearing heels, never looked back. What other people think of you is their own problem. Fuuck them. I look good in heels :D I'm happy (and I get my tall person bonus too) :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

An American study on what happens in America. Does it apply here? I don't think so. We have a much more equal opportunity environment here and in Europe.
    Even where it true is the lack of self confidence down to height or the bullying that is inflicted on people who are shorter. It is just one interpretation of why and a generalisation. Maybe stop bullying and people will have better self confidence.

You know like not repeating the myth of "Napoleon Complex" and putting people down for being shorter than you.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭shrewd

Does being closer to the ground do something to the personality of small men?

:eek:

:D, LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭Paarthurnax

Harry Enfield's Short Bloke sums it all up.

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    An American study on what happens in America. Does it apply here? I don't think so. We have a much more equal opportunity environment here and in Europe.
    Even where it true is the lack of self confidence down to height or the bullying that is inflicted on people who are shorter. It is just one interpretation of why and a generalisation. Maybe stop bullying and people will have better self confidence.

You know like not repeating the myth of "Napoleon Complex" and putting people down for being shorter than you.

This. And let's not forget that it also works the other way. I can still remember some b1tch in my class saying "gawd you're like a big mountain up there aren't you!?" - feel like going to the reunion just to confront her and tell her how her comment made me feel, and obtain much needed closure shove a wellie full of squealing rats up her short árse.

There...... :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 75 ✭✭Robson Lobson

Men with small man syndrome should listen to this guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

Say no more.

2044666865_30a86b436b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sandmanporto

I'm just back from a meeting that was chaired by a little, fat arsehole of a man. The type that is nearly taller sitting down than he is standing up. It got me thinking that over the years I've encountered plenty of short men who were complete arseholes. Much more so than tall men (which I'd count myself as being).

You've been googling too much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭spitfireIRL

porsche959 wrote: »
    Say no more.

2044666865_30a86b436b.jpg

who the feck is that?!
    I'd say no one ever notices the shoes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭The Highwayman

In my experience short men are generally angry little parasites. I briefly dated a short guy when I was about 18, he had such a small penis that I actually thought he was deformed. Dumped him shortly after that, yes I am that shallow, but he was a complete twat. Genuinely pitied the guy, just not enough to shag him.

He has a couple of kids now, I'm surprised he managed it tbh.

Someone sounds like a total twat all right but not your ex :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Someone sounds like a total twat all right but not your ex :rolleyes:
    Jeez, I'd forgotten all about this thread, sounds like you both need to get a life.

Jeez, I'd forgotten all about this thread, sounds like you both need to get a life.

and yet, here you are again. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭czechlin

It's not all roses for the tall, however: they are more likely to be bitten by midges.".

I'm lolling at this thinking how my dad, who's 6'3" always gives out, aww the poor dear :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

I'd hate to be over 6 feet tall. If you were going out with a woman of average height you'd have to keep bending down to shift her. Probably get a sore neck after a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭czechlin

Daveysil15 wrote: »
    I'd hate to be over 6 feet tall. If you were going out with a woman of average height you'd have to keep bending down to shift her. Probably get a sore neck after a while.

None of the fellas ever complained. But I'm a savage kisser...:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

czechlin wrote: »
    None of the fellas ever complained. But I'm a savage kisser...:D
    Forgot to unfollow this thread. Just about to solve that one and leave all the small dicked people and the bitter women who married a small dicked man, behind:D

Forgot to unfollow this thread. Just about to solve that one and leave all the small dicked people and the bitter women who married a small dicked man, behind:D
    I actually feel sorry for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Cornelius Cornpipe

Jaysus, there must be some fierce short cocks out there with the tone of some of the posts. More cocktail sausage than a rump of white pudding if you get my drift.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭jane82

I used to play football with a fella who was very short. Tiny feet too he had. Nob like a giraffes neck.
    I hope you get over this guy one day pumkin seeds. Your poor tall boyfriend is probably sick of looking down at you banging on about him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Had to be done.

• Advertisement

That's right pumpkin; it couldn't possibly be people objecting to you scrawling about an ex on the thread like it's a toilet door in the cnutiest bar in bitchtown, we're all just jealous. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭6781

What height would most consider a man to be a short arse? I reckon under 5 10 myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

6781 wrote: »
    What height would most consider a man to be a short arse? I reckon under 5 10 myself.

I'd have thought under 5'8.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

Forgot to unfollow this thread. Just about to solve that one and leave all the small dicked people and the bitter women who married a small dicked man, behind
    Well that's obviously just being inflammatory for the sake of it since you know it's unlikely to be true in relation to numerous people who have expressed revulsion at what you said.
    What's striking though is the way you get so defensive over people criticising a comment as horrible as "His penis was so small I thought he might be deformed". I guess the defensiveness is due to the truth hurting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

6781 wrote: »
    I'd consider under 5'7 to be short, because I'd be taller in heels.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sandmanporto

In other news the letter e is the most used letter in the English language.
    I can't believe it's in butter!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Fudge You

I'd consider under 5'7 to be short, because I'd be taller in heels.

Whats wrong with being taller than a man?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Fudge You wrote: »
    Whats wrong with being taller than a man?
    I didn't say there's anything wrong with it. I'm short, so it's rare that a man would be shorter. I think that makes me more aware of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

This thread makes for depressing reading (especially if you're shorter than average, like myself - although some responses would suggest I'm just about average). What's really strange is that I don't get it. I'm a very, very laid back kind of guy and have a couple of friends who are around the same height as me and they are all very relaxed people (some excessively so). The same goes for smaller people that I've worked with in the past. Any of the very tall guys that I hang around with tend to be the ones who would get in fights or be aggressive after a couple of pints. But I wouldn't think that this applies to all tall guys. You meet one small guy at a meeting in work, maybe you have an inferiority complex, and suddenly all small guys are dicks. I'm not even sure the OP sees the irony.

And that's forgetting the fact that Napoleon - apparently the genesis of the short-man-syndrome - was actually average height. It was just the soldiers in that painting (who were probably pretty aggressive) were so tall.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

i worked with a lad who was just about 5ft and suffered real bad with vertigo

the irony was tedious

• Advertisement
Advertisement