Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you ever been to a Michelin star restaurant?

Options
  • 22-04-2014 7:40pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 75 ✭✭

A couple of lads in work like to go to Michelin star restaurants. One of them even went to a three star restaurant in Spain with his girlfriend, the bill came to over €500. If I had the money I might go to a few Michelin star restaurants to see what the fuss is about.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭GenieOz

There's a really cheap one in Kilkenny. There's nothing particularly special about them, save 2 euro for a bag of chips on the way home though because their portion sizes are always pitiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Captain Farrell

A couple of lads in work like to go to Michelin star restaurants. One of them even went to a three star restaurant in Spain with his girlfriend, the bill came to over €500. If I had the money I might go to a few Michelin star restaurants to see what the fuss is about.

Just like any other restaurant, some are good some are not as good, depending on your taste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Jonny Blaze

l'ecrivain has one Michelin star I think.

Been a couple of times way back in like 2005-6.

Funny thing about these places is that the more you pay for the food the less it actually resembles food.

I remember being served a narrow rectangular plate with a sphere of something on one side, a rectangle of another substance in the middle and a kind of trapezoid thing on the right.

Couldn't have told which shape matched which part of the menu entry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

GenieOz wrote: »
    their portion sizes are always pitiful.

Its not the quantity its the quality.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Nope. The idea of parting with half a week's wages in a pretentious restaurant surrounded by pretentious people is about as appealing to me as a hole in the head.

I'm a simple person with simple tastes. Give me a burger and a cold beer and I'm as happy as a pig in shít.

• Advertisement

I agree, to a certain point. One tablespoon size scoop of potato does not constitute a portion of potatoes though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,430 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Yeah but what's the point in spending a fortune in a restaurant and still leaving hungry. If you're charging a lot then the least you could do is make sure your customers leave satisfied.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

You don't go to these sort of restaurants for a feed. **** off to supermacs for that. You go to appreciate the craft of cooking and the symphony of service, quality ingredients, superb cooking skills married to the best wine with the meal. It's an experience like a West End musical, El Classico or great opera. If you don't understand any of this **** off to supermacs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭BNMC

No, I'm not a pretentious arsehole.

Taco chips, be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Lobster stuffed with tacos

• Advertisement

El Guapo! wrote: »
    Yeah but what's the point in spending a fortune in a restaurant and still leaving hungry. If you're charging a lot then the least you could do is make sure your customers leave satisfied.

The poster below sums it up.
    You don't go to these sort of restaurants for a feed. **** off to supermacs for that. You go to appreciate the craft of cooking and the symphony of service, quality ingredients, superb cooking skills married to the best wine with the meal. It's an experience like a West End musical, El Classico or great opera. If you don't understand any of this **** off to supermacs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Staplor

Have a listen to any chef talk about their stars, I think it was Marco Pierre White who sent them back, have been to 2, wouldn't be bothered again. Kinsale is where it's at for food in Ireland. Give me a pub dinner in Kinsale and a pint over anything in a Michellin Star joint.

You don't go to these sort of restaurants for a feed. **** off to supermacs for that. You go to appreciate the craft of cooking and the symphony of service, quality ingredients, superb cooking skills married to the best wine off the meal. It's an experience like a West End musical, El Classico or great opera. If you don't understand any of this **** off to supermacs.

Someone is angry that they pay too much for their food.

You can get the same quality of food and service at 80% of other restaurants.

Also, comparing eating at a restaurant to El Classico, WE Musical or an Opera=fûcking big time lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

If I said I was and ate fois gras and really enjoyed it I will likely get lynched.

So...eh...no, I have never been. Honest.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Yes, to the Cliff House and yes, it was worth it!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,430 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Are you a chef?! :pac:

Why can't I go to "appreciate the craft of cooking" and still get a half decent portion size though?
    Don't get me wrong, different strokes for different folks and all that but I can't understand why they serve so little.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

I'm sure the food is incredible and the skill required to make it isnt commonplace, but it's still just one meal. It'll be in the bottom of your jax the next day. Book a citybreak or buy some electronic gadget, money far better spent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

Thinly veiled I can't afford to go to a Michelin starred restaurant so I'll play the angry troll thread. Or not that thinly veiled.

I can't afford to either - well not without paying my rent for a meal - but a rich acquaintance invited me to a meal at a 2 star when he cashed out some stock. We did the 7 taster courses. All slight courses but overall filling. If money isn't an object do that.

Easily the best meal I ever had and most certainly the best service and wine. Worth it, were I rich I'd do it often.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Murt10

Patrick Guibauds is Irelands only 2 star restautrant.

E50 for the 3 course lunch menu. For me, this is much better than going to some other places later at night that's packed and paying even more for an ok sort of meal, but each to his own.

http://restaurantpatrickguilbaud.ie/menus/lunch

GenieOz wrote: »
    Someone is angry that they pay too much for their food.

You can get the same quality of food and service at 80% of other restaurants.

Also, comparing eating at a restaurant to El Classico, WE Musical or an Opera=fûcking big time lol

Have a Big Mac in the big lol.

• Advertisement

Have a Big Mac in the big lol.

Nice counter, I will. Add a dash of pretentiousness to the wine next time, a little bit more and it would be perfect ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

you can experience all of these things to a higher level for a lot less money in loads of restaurants around the country. going to one of these places is not about good food , its about bulls....ing to your friends about being there and that's what they build their business on.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I've been to two. One in Ireland and one in Spain. I love food but on neither occasion did I feel it was worth the money, and in Ireland I left the restaurant still feeling hungry. Was invited by acquaintances in my work life so couldn't really decline either.

Wouldn't bother with it again tbh.

El Guapo! wrote: »
    Why can't I go to "appreciate the craft of cooking" and still get a half decent portion size though?
    Don't get me wrong, different strokes for different folks and all that but I can't understand why they serve so little.

Between all the courses and good wine one should be quite satisfied with the meal, people are eating away too much in portion size imo, statistics are there to prove it. Ireland second most obese nation in the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

People seem to be really angry over this. They're restaurants with really high standards and obviously very nice food. It's nice for a treat every once in a while. I've never been to a michelin star place before but I've been to a few expensive but fantastic restaurants in my life, and even if they are the same price as 40 meals in supermacs, they're worth it as a treat and the experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Murt10 wrote: »
    Patrick Guibauds is Irelands only 2 star restautrant.

E50 for the 3 course lunch menu. For me, this is much better than going to some other places later at night that's packed and paying even more for an ok sort of meal, but each to his own.

http://restaurantpatrickguilbaud.ie/menus/lunch

This is one fantastic experience. From champers in a reception to the sit down for a 2 hour love in with your tastebuds.
    Paddy G himself even comes around to introduce himself and see that you are enjoying yourself.

If you ever want to score with someone and reckon money is no object, take her\him here...you will be getting the ride within an hour of leaving the place.
    Even sooner if you suprise him/her with a room in the ajoining merrion.

This is one fantastic experience. From champers in a reception to the sit down for a 2 hour love in with your tastebuds.
    Paddy G himself even comes around to introduce himself and see that you are enjoying yourself.

If you ever want to score with someone and reckon money is no object, take her\him here...you will be getting the ride within an hour of leaving the place.
    Even sooner if you suprise him/her with a room in the ajoining merrion.

Yeah or take them to an airport and for the same cost whisk them away for a weekend break in any city in Europe.

That should tell you how horribly overpriced that place is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

I went to the cliff house in Ardmore co Waterford a few months back and sat in the Michelin star restaurant and I have to say it was an experience that I would recommend to anyone especially if your looking for some brownies points with the other half.
    There was 6 courses and I was stuffed after the lot and it was only 70 euro a head.
    The quality of food was next to none, one thing I noticed when the steaks came out you didn't get a steak knife just the normal butter knife as it was so so tender no fat the best of irish beef. mmmmmmm

you can experience all of these things to a higher level for a lot less money in loads of restaurants around the country. going to one of these places is not about good food , its about bulls....ing to your friends about being there and that's what they build their business on.

If you said to "a level nearly as high" I'd agree with you and there are a lot of excellent good value restaurants with large portions in Ireland. Part of the fun is getting to one of them and thinking this will have a star in a year or two. Dunbrody house in Wexford is an excellent example. Any others?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

People seem to be really angry over this. They're restaurants with really high standards and obviously very nice food. It's nice for a treat every once in a while. I've never been to a michelin star place before but I've been to a few expensive but fantastic restaurants in my life, and even if they are the same price as 40 meals in supermacs, they're worth it as a treat and the experience.

What exactly is obvious about it? Just because a few food writers and critics say they had nice food doesn't mean that every single other person is going to enjoy it also.

Advertisement