Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sky Broadband Speed Issue

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 226 ✭✭Frank Garrett

3109576903.png
    Was talking to a man from Sky today about getting the profile set back up to 16Mb and he said there was no way, went through the usual car references and stuff but alas I'm stuck with 10Mb now... He also said I should consider myself "One Lucky Ducky" for having a stable 16Mb for so long :(

Why did they take you off the 16mb profile?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

3109576903.png
    Was talking to a man from Sky today about getting the profile set back up to 16Mb and he said there was no way, went through the usual car references and stuff but alas I'm stuck with 10Mb now... He also said I should consider myself "One Lucky Ducky" for having a stable 16Mb for so long :(

More bullsh*t from Sky. I signed up to Sky last January and was told my line would give me download speeds of 17mbps. Sure enough- that's exactly the speed I got for 10 months.

During this whole issue, they have lowered my profile from 20000 to 10000. So now that speeds seemed to have recovered today to around 8.5mbps - I guess that's what they will suggest I should have been getting all along :rolleyes:

My pings remain poor also.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Why did they take you off the 16mb profile?

Something happened to Sky's network around the 31st of October which was well documented on this thread. I rang to get my speeds fixed as they had out of nowhere dropped to 14Mb, they then set it to 12 and then to 10 to make it stable. Now my speeds are in fairness quite stable but they're slow :( When you're used to 16Mb, 10Mb feels quite slow with the likes of YouTube and what not.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

They seem to be back to normal for me tonight. Touch wood.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Shy_Dave!

Funny, on Vodafone here with same problem (Slowed speed during evening).
    Was back to normal over the weekend, now the problem is back.

• Advertisement

Something happened to Sky's network around the 31st of October which was well documented on this thread. I rang to get my speeds fixed as they had out of nowhere dropped to 14Mb, they then set it to 12 and then to 10 to make it stable. Now my speeds are in fairness quite stable but they're slow :( When you're used to 16Mb, 10Mb feels quite slow with the likes of YouTube and what not.

What are your stats like? If they can handle 16mb, then demand 16mb or the best your stats can handle.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

They seem to be back to normal for me tonight. Touch wood.

Same as me. First night in at least 2 weeks that speeds are matching daytime speeds.

Lets hope things are finally sorted.

What are your stats like? If they can handle 16mb, then demand 16mb or the best your stats can handle.
    That's the thing though, my line is only capable of 12Mb according to Eircom. I was a bit uneasy when I heard this as I was getting a totally stable 16Mb but I was talking to a KN Networks/Eircom guy and he said that the Carlow area was outdated in terms of line profiles so I just dismissed it. Getting 10Mb out of a 12Mb connection wouldn't be bad at all but my connection is 16Mb! :(

That's the thing though, my line is only capable of 12Mb according to Eircom. I was a bit uneasy when I heard this as I was getting a totally stable 16Mb but I was talking to a KN Networks/Eircom guy and he said that the Carlow area was outdated in terms of line profiles so I just dismissed it. Getting 10Mb out of a 12Mb connection wouldn't be bad at all but my connection is 16Mb! :(

Yes, but what are your stats like on your router's configuration page?

Yes, but what are your stats like on your router's configuration page?

10235 right now, used to be anything from 16000 to 16700

• Advertisement

10235 right now, used to be anything from 16000 to 16700

Do you know what your line attention is?

Do you know what your line attention is?
    35 on the Down. I'm nearly 100% sure that when I have Vodafone it was 22.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Sup08

Got a message from sky on the phone today. They've issued a software update to the hubs which has corrected the error and speeds should be stable.
    Checking my speed since 6.30 pm and they stablised at 8.6mbps. Half of what I was getting. My profile is set to 10 although they say my line can take 12.
    My line is fibre ready so why can't I get faster ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Sup08

Current speed test.

35 on the Down. I'm nearly 100% sure that when I have Vodafone it was 22.

Your line attention determines what speed your line can handle. Pop it into this:

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php

Mine says 29db which 16000 kbps, but due to my low noise margin, Sky or Eircom cannot force anymore speed down the line or else it will disconnect/drop-out.

My noise margin is usually between 7 or 8db, but lately I noticed it's around 6db.

What's you noise margin like?

Sup08 wrote: »
    Got a message from sky on the phone today. They've issued a software update to the hubs which has corrected the error and speeds should be stable.
    Checking my speed since 6.30 pm and they stablised at 8.6mbps. Half of what I was getting. My profile is set to 10 although they say my line can take 12.
    My line is fibre ready so why can't I get faster ?

Good job I ditched the hub a long time ago because it looks like Sky are slashing people's speeds with a new firmware update.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Vico1612

My hub shows
    Firmware Version 1.16b.2216.R
    ADSL Firmware Version A2pD035o.d24

Don't know if this has been updated ...

anyway, still holding strong
    3109963526.png

Good job I ditched the hub a long time ago because it looks like Sky are slashing people's speeds with a new firmware update.

I don't think it was with the alleged firmware upgrade as my speeds are now back to normal. i think a lot of people who contacted Sky over the issue had their line speed brought back to try and correct the issue, which obviously didn't work.

If it had happened to me I would ring Sky and ask them to return the line speed to its original higher setting.

adox wrote: »
    I don't think it was with the alleged firmware upgrade as my speeds are now back to normal. i think a lot of people who contacted Sky over the issue had their line speed brought back to try and correct the issue, which obviously didn't work.

If it had happened to me I would ring Sky and ask them to return the line speed to its original higher setting.

You're probably right, just did a Speedtest and it's terrible:

3110002914.png

I might have to plug the hub in, or would that make a difference?

Speeds are still relatively stable for me.
    3110081505.png

• Advertisement

adox wrote: »
    3101432759.png

3110168509.png

Thats me back to normal speeds(don't laugh). Even though its only just over 5, it makes a huge difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Hello all,

Sky have once again asked me to post something on their behalf:
    The issue which impacted some customers BB speeds during evening and peak times, has been confirmed as fully resolved. If customers haven’t done so already, a reset of their Sky router (Hub), will ensure improvements are immediately applied.
    Now, I personally can't say for certain that I know this issue has been resolved, but having read through some of your posts since yesterday, there seems to be a marked improvement for some of you, so I'd say they were definitely making progress in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Vico1612

Dav wrote: »
    Hello all,

Sky have once again asked me to post something on their behalf:Now, I personally can't say for certain that I know this issue has been resolved, but having read through some of your posts since yesterday, there seems to be a marked improvement for some of you, so I'd say they were definitely making progress in the right direction.

Great to see Sky interacting with Boards.ie , but they may also want to communicate on their own forums ...
    http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Broadband-Talk/Dramatic-slowdown-broadband-speeds-recently/td-p/1463849/page/11

My 2 cents ...

I guess I'll have to plug in the dreaded hub later.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,729 ✭✭✭degsie

Vico1612 wrote: »
    Great to see Sky interacting with Boards.ie , but they may also want to communicate on their own forums ...
    http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Broadband-Talk/Dramatic-slowdown-broadband-speeds-recently/td-p/1463849/page/11

Sky have recently entered this comment on that forum...
    We have been advised that the issues with speed dropping should now be resolved.

If you are still experiencing issues with speed dropping, please let us know and we can investigate this further.

I'm sorry that the fault has carried on for such a length of time and this has affected the service you have been receiving from Sky. I appreciate your patience with us whilst we resolved this fault with our partners.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭spiderjazz

Speeds are looking a lot better from my connection over the last two nights, going from 0.87 mbps for a few nights during peak times to 12.10 mbps now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I Gave up complaining to sky about the speed months ago when they emailed me say they could never give me the speed they promised me...so much for getting 12mbps.
    For a tenner a month I can live with it. ..... For now!!

3111990811.png

Was getting a bit better than this before, but ok I guess. Seems stable.

So, I would just like to say thanks to Sky for sorting out this issue. It's not often that a provider owns up to a problem and then takes remedial action to sort it. I note that those who were slamming Sky BB are suddenly gone quiet so I assume this is fixed for everyone.

No, I am not a sky employee, just a satisfied customer :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

degsie wrote: »
    So, I would just like to say thanks to Sky for sorting out this issue. It's not often that a provider owns up to a problem and then takes remedial action to sort it. I note that those who were slamming Sky BB are suddenly gone quiet so I assume this is fixed for everyone.

No, I am not a sky employee, just a satisfied customer :)

Not so sure about the glowing customer service. It took 2 weeks to sort out. Most days I would contact them, they didn't admit it was a widespread problem and insisted it was just a problem with my line - to the point where I refused to "change filters, change phone line".

Towards the end however, they started to change and did indeed admit it was a problem on their side which was welcome.

As previously stated - I used to get a constant 17mbps download speed. Now it is only 14mbps which I will settle for until I switch to fiber broadband next month.

Advertisement