Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Broadband Speed Issue

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Contacted Vodafone today about switch to fiber and they said it could take 20 days after I terminate services with Sky. Surely there is some other way? 20 days without broadband is a bit much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Same here in Wicklow Town.

I moved to Sky from Vodafone cos of their pathetic 15gb per month usage allowance.

Performance has dwindled with Sky.

We struggle to breach 3mbps in the vening with Sky.

It was a steady 10-12 mbps with Vodafone.

adox wrote: »
    Only by email and PM on their forum. I think its a waste of time phoning them and going through all their procedures for no reason.

My contract is up at the end of January but I will move before then, especially if fibre is available.

Their procedures are a waste of time. They imply something must have changed on your end and fail to mention the hoards of people who are having the same problem with Sky of late.

Sky was a great service when it worked - but in the last 2 weeks - it's nearly unusable at peak times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭airuser

adox wrote: »
    Only by email and PM on their forum. I think its a waste of time phoning them and going through all their procedures for no reason.

My contract is up at the end of January but I will move before then, especially if fibre is available.

the Forum, have found a just a talking shop. SKY been in touch with me by private message. I supply them with all the details but nothing has happened.

Sky Ireland, CS are in touch with me. To talk to me this afternoon. I shall exhaust everything before I change.

HighLine wrote: »
    Contacted Vodafone today about switch to fiber and they said it could take 20 days after I terminate services with Sky. Surely there is some other way? 20 days without broadband is a bit much.

That is the problem with switching Broadband supplies.

When I switched from Vodafone to Sky it was instant If your are changing ask the question about being with out BB

• Advertisement

So was on the phone to Sky again -trying to get them to change my download speed profile back to what it was because it's been worse since they changed it yesterday.

Anyway- after telling the Sky agent that I knew the problem was widespread and not my problem, he admitted that that was indeed the case. He stated that they have been inundated with calls over the last two weeks all with the same issue. He also said that their lines are not susceptible to congestion so although they do not know what is causing the issue, they are trying to rectify the problem.

So was on the phone to Sky again -trying to get them to change my download speed profile back to what it was because it's been worse since they changed it yesterday.

Anyway- after telling the Sky agent that I knew the problem was widespread and not my problem, he admitted that that was indeed the case. He stated that they have been inundated with calls over the last two weeks all with the same issue. He also said that their lines are not susceptible to congestion so although they do not know what is causing the issue, they are trying to rectify the problem.

Basically the same as myself. Looks like Eircom are saying no problem. We are stuck in the middle.
    There are comments I would like to make. However, unfortunately I cannot prove them.
    Just to say the infrastructure must be to blame

airuser wrote: »
    Basically the same as myself. Looks like Eircom are saying no problem. We are stuck in the middle.
    There are comments I would like to make. However, unfortunately I cannot prove them.
    Just to say the infrastructure must be to blame

The Eircom controlled infrastructure? .... Perhaps many unhappy Sky customers returning to Eircom for their new high speed eFiber broadband........

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Raytown Rocks

Same issue started 2 weekend ago, alas my BB dropped completely. After various calls I was told it was the hub, had me check all internal cabling etc ( well they asked). Eventually was told they had changed my profile.
    BB was down due to a disconnect at the exchange.
    Speedtest was down to 8mb, havnt checked it much but the kids have complained of slow connections recently.

Will be back onto them now to add my tuppence worth

The Eircom controlled infrastructure? .... Perhaps many unhappy Sky customers returning to Eircom for their new high speed eFiber broadband........

That is one way of putting it.

Have been with Eircom and Vodafone for broadband and found their CS a lot to be desired. All promises, no results .
    Have been dealing with Sky for both TV AND BB and have found them far better. One get a name and 99% of the time a call back.

I will stick with them until they say they cannot help any further. Then the Regulator surely must be brought on board.

We Regulator all over the place. But, has anyone found them anygood

• Advertisement

chef wrote: »
    Same issue started 2 weekend ago, alas my BB dropped completely. After various calls I was told it was the hub, had me check all internal cabling etc ( well they asked). Eventually was told they had changed my profile.
    BB was down due to a disconnect at the exchange.
    Speedtest was down to 8mb, havnt checked it much but the kids have complained of slow connections recently.

Will be back onto them now to add my tuppence worth
    Chef,
    Same here, 2/3 weeks ago.
    Had notice that "You Tube" was difficult to get from start to finish without a rebuff and listen to BBC on the Internet and was losing that also.

Would suggest that you check you speed say in the morning. That is the best speed and then during the evening. Comparing both and give it to Sky or you ISP

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Right so I'd just like to confirm, everyone else have began having problems around about 2 weeks ago? It was Halloween night when I first rang up about my poor speeds. Streaming in HD is a complete no go and even in SD it still buffers every few seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,739 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Yeah its been about two weeks as far as I can tell. Gonna ring Sky again tonight with all the information ive seen on here and their forums. The way I look at it the more people ring up the better.

Also if it goes on longer i reckon a combined eircom/sky regualtor complaint is in order. Might not do anything but can't hurt either

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

VinLieger wrote: »
    Yeah its been about two weeks as far as I can tell. Gonna ring Sky again tonight with all the information ive seen on here and their forums. The way I look at it the more people ring up the better.

Also if it goes on longer i reckon a combined eircom/sky regualtor complaint is in order. Might not do anything but can't hurt either
    Yeah I'm going to wait to see if I get a callback from Level 2 (Doubtful) and if not I'll ring them and quote this thread. Even if more users join the network which doesn't make sense as I live in a Fibre area so I dont know who would pick <24 vs 70, that still doesn't explain all the drops in speed. I will definitely make a complaint with reference to this thread if this continues.

Right so I'd just like to confirm, everyone else have began having problems around about 2 weeks ago? It was Halloween night when I first rang up about my poor speeds. Streaming in HD is a complete no go and even in SD it still buffers every few seconds.

That is correct

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Same here in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Vico1612

bang on cue ... 7.30pm ... speeds down to 1Mb

Same here. Just about 1Mbit. Absolute joke. I'll probably use this to get out of contract and get fibre.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 paflairl

Same here in Tralee, got the nonsense about lowering the profile which hasn't helped whatsoever. Speed down from 7mbs to just over 2mbs in the evenings. Like most of the rest, started approximately 2 weeks ago.

Was one of the original beta testers, so my contract is up next month, have just gone through to cancellations, with the view to moving elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Yep just over 1Mbps here down from my usual 5, making the likes of Netflix near redundant in the evening.

can't wait to move.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 slyi

Same issue here for arklow, down to 2mb &#55357;&#56851;. I rang customer service with a friendly and competent tech support guy.
    But 2 days later still no better. I'll about to cancel.

Just in checked Speeds

Galway 3.5
    Cork 3.5
    Dublin 1.9

Just keep track of the speeds. If Eircom say it's not their fault and Sky the same.

Eircom control the lines, where does the fault lie.

Again the customer in the the mire

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

IMHO Eircom is the elephant in the room. The own and in 99% of residential cases they control the infastructure. The cynic in me is saying that Eircom will drag their feet where there are problems in other ISPs. Why would they break their neck fixing other ISP issues when they are rolling out a brand new shiny product:rolleyes:?

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭breeno

I'm having these issues as well. I normally get 12-13mb at quiet times and 9-10mb at peak times but now in the last few weeks at peak times I am getting as little as 1.5mb and at quiet times only 6-7mb. It's really frustrating, especially trying to stream any online video. I'll be ringing Sky to report it later and will advise if anything comes of it.

I'd imagine it has to be a backhaul or network management issue. The connection itself is fine, and still syncing at the usual speeds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

IMHO Eircom is the elephant in the room. The own and in 99% of residential cases they control the infastructure. The cynic in me is saying that Eircom will drag their feet where there are problems in other ISPs. Why would they break their neck fixing other ISP issues when they are rolling out a brand new shiny product:rolleyes:?

I agree.

AFAIK comreg have an a service level agreement for Eircom to fix backend issues.

Ive no idea what sanction, if any Eircom face if they drag their heels.

Agree

I agree.

AFAIK comreg have an a service level agreement for Eircom to fix backend issues.

Ive no idea what sanction, if any Eircom face if they drag their heels.

Put in a request to Com Reg this morning to see if speed is covered

I'd imagine it has to be a backhaul or network management issue. The connection itself is fine, and still syncing at the usual speeds.

Sky say they have plenty of Bandwidth

• Advertisement

After giving specific instructions to Sky to call me on my mobile, the escalation team called back on the landline and tried to fob off a family member.

Tom stated that the reason why we had issues was because our profile was set too high. Bullsh1t Tom. It was set the same for 10 months without a single issue. As I said previously, another one of Tom's colleagues stated that it was a problem Sky were having and they didn't know why. It seems some of Sky's staff still insist on telling lies in the hope that people will believe them.

Advertisement