Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Broadband Speed Issue

Options
  • 07-11-2013 9:04pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭

This is a fairly long post so I'd appreciate if you'd read the whole thing
    I have Sky broadband, have had it since April and up until last Thursday (Hallowe'en night) it's been great but now I'm having some terrible speed issues.
    My Sky hub would always sync around 16mb even though my line is only capable of 12mb. (Was told by Eircom that this was just a bug, also told that the system needed updating) It has always been stable at 16mb and never had any problems but when I checked my Sky Hub's status last Thursday after it feeling slow I noticed it seemed to only sync around the 14mb mark. After several restarts, changing the microfilters etc to no avail, I decided to ring Sky.
    I was told I'd receive a call back as the people capable of adjusting the profiles had all gone home.
    One week later no call back so I decided to ring them, the guy told me that my line would never be stable at 16 but if I wanted him to set it up to that he would, so I said yeah as I felt confident it would work having it been stable at that so long before.
    Hung up, waited 15 minutes as told and turned the hub back on, still synced at 14 so I rang back. This time I was told I'd never be able to get 16mb not in a million years and all this, so he set it down to 12 from 14 to fix the slow speeds I was having but he said it couldn't handle that so it was set to 10.
    So I've went from having a 16mb connection to having a 10mb one with nothing changing on my end, waiting a call back from "level 2" today but of course that never materialised.
    Any comments would be grately appreciated.
    So in summary, went from having 16mb stable to 10mb inconsistent speeds with nothing changing on my end.
    Have a look through my speedtest results and you'll see what I mean, up until 31/10 the speeds were grand and now they're totally inconsistent.
    Link.
    Thanks
    Here's my current Sky Hub stats in case they're of any use.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Sup08

I have Sky broadband, have had it since April and up until last Thursday (Hallowe'en night) it's been great but now I'm having some terrible speed issues.
    My Sky hub would always sync around 16mb even though my line is only capable of 12mb. (Was told by Eircom that this was just a bug, also told that the system needed updating) It has always been stable at 16mb and never had any problems but when I checked my Sky Hub's status last Thursday after it feeling slow I noticed it seemed to only sync around the 14mb mark. After several restarts, changing the microfilters etc to no avail, I decided to ring Sky.
    I was told I'd receive a call back as the people capable of adjusting the profiles had all gone home.
    One week later no call back so I decided to ring them, the guy told me that my line would never be stable at 16 but if I wanted him to set it up to that he would, so I said yeah as I felt confident it would work having it been stable at that so long before.
    Hung up, waited 15 minutes as told and turned the hub back on, still synced at 14 so I rang back. This time I was told I'd never be able to get 16mb not in a million years and all this, so he set it down to 12 from 14 to fix the slow speeds I was having but he said it couldn't handle that so it was set to 10.
    So I've went from having a 16mb connection to having a 10mb one with nothing changing on my end, waiting a call back from "level 2" today but of course that never materialised.
    So in summary, went from having 16mb stable to 10mb inconsistent speeds with nothing changing on my end.
    Have a look through my speedtest results and you'll see what I mean, up until 31/10 the speeds were grand and now they're totally inconsistent.
    Link.
    Thanks

Hi Alan
    I am having the exact same problem with sky. I too was getting the full 16mb and now they have set my line to 10mb. I am only getting 8mb during the day and early morning. Right now the max I get is 3mb. My line is fibre ready and I think there are now congestion issues with sky.
    I tried to call them just now but got a message that their help desk closes at 9pm. They sent me a new hub last week but I only stablised the speed myself by messing around with the filters. So it definatley not anything on my side.
    I will be on to them tomorrow and then to comreg to get my contract cancelled to get a fibre connection.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Sup08 wrote: »
    Hi Alan
    I am having the exact same problem with sky. I too was getting the full 16mb and now they have set my line to 10mb. I am only getting 8mb during the day and early morning. Right now the max I get is 3mb. My line is fibre ready and I think there are now congestion issues with sky.
    I tried to call them just now but got a message that their help desk closes at 9pm. They sent me a new hub last week but I only stablised the speed myself by messing around with the filters. So it definatley not anything on my side.
    I will be on to them tomorrow and then to comreg to get my contract cancelled to get a fibre connection.
    How did you mange to get a free hub off them? Did you just ask or? I was told that the speeds could be affected by anything from new users joining (obviously note people have joined since I have in April and that didn't affect my speeds) I was even told that birds nesting in the line could be the cause of the issue! Please let me know how you get on. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭woppers

Link.
    Thanks

Alright mate! Those speedtest results you posted are pretty random alright. I've been with sky broadband since they started in Ireland and I'm kinda in the same boat as you. I'm pretty happy with them but here's my experience.

The thing with me is in to busy to ring them. I was just about to post my own question on the forum. My line is rated at 20mb. Everytime I do a speedtest I get a 2.5-3mb result. When I download something I know for a fact that I can reach the full 20mb speed because there is a 'download speed indicator' on my download manager.

I also have noise on my phone line. I took out the old phone line because it way frayed and replaced it with cat5 cable. I'm going to change the pairs that I use for the phone line today to see if it makes a difference.

And I don't want to ring them in case they try to drop the profile. I'll update you if changing the phone line helps.

woppers wrote: »
    Alright mate! Those speedtest results you posted are pretty random alright. I've been with sky broadband since they started in Ireland and I'm kinda in the same boat as you. I'm pretty happy with them but here's my experience.

The thing with me is in to busy to ring them. I was just about to post my own question on the forum. My line is rated at 20mb. Everytime I do a speedtest I get a 2.5-3mb result. When I download something I know for a fact that I can reach the full 20mb speed because there is a 'download speed indicator' on my download manager.

I also have noise on my phone line. I took out the old phone line because it way frayed and replaced it with cat5 cable. I'm going to change the pairs that I use for the phone line today to see if it makes a difference.

And I don't want to ring them in case they try to drop the profile. I'll update you if changing the phone line helps.
    Yeah, I only wish I had known that... Mightn't have still had my 16mb but 14mb is much better than the 10 I have now. Bet not to ring them to make sure they dont lower your profile. Or maybe ring them and specifically ask them not to. Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭woppers

Yeah, I only wish I had known that... Mightn't have still had my 16mb but 14mb is much better than the 10 I have now. Bet not to ring them to make sure they dont lower your profile. Or maybe ring them and specifically ask them not to. Hope this helps.

Cheers, ring them and ask them to up it again for you. My sister is in a situation where she had Eircom fibre power for the last year. Vodafone knocked on her door and offered her fibre with them so she switched to them. Now Eircom are telling Vodafone that it is impossible for my sister to get fibre broadband.

When my sister rang Eircom, they told her the same story. And she said, "how is that possible when I have had fibre broadband with you for the last year."

I feel like billy liar now because I just did a speedtest and I reached 14.5mb. I'll keep an eye on it and I'll keep you posted.

• Advertisement

woppers wrote: »
    Cheers, ring them and ask them to up it again for you. My sister is in a situation where she had Eircom fibre power for the last year. Vodafone knocked on her door and offered her fibre with them so she switched to them. Now Eircom are telling Vodafone that it is impossible for my sister to get fibre broadband.

When my sister rang Eircom, they told her the same story. And she said, "how is that possible when I have had fibre broadband with you for the last year."

I feel like billy liar now because I just did a speedtest and I reached 14.5mb. I'll keep an eye on it and I'll keep you posted.
    I can feel how slow my internet is, like if I try to stream. I'm still waiting on a call back from level 2 from Sky, of course I doubt Thats gonna happen but. I dont really want to ring them because they might lower my already slow speeds to make it more "stable." I can get fibre but I can't because Sky doesn't bother themselves to offer it.
    Yeah please keep me posted and I'll do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭airuser

Well,well. For the last two weeks have had problems with speed on my Sky bb. Had 10M at the hub but receiving 8.65 which has been stable since the beginning,last December.
    Now,getting 8.65 to to 15.30, then it would drop to 4ish. Come 1800hours lucky to get 2.
    Have been on the Sky have run all the usual tests. Still the same.
    Last chat with Sky, they said the would run a few more tests. Yes, they did. Lowered my speed to 8 and just getting less that 7. Again dropping off in the evening. What is disturbing the Agent never informed that my profile was to be reduced.
    Eircom have been out and checked my sockets and line. The Engineer stated that he has spent more time following up poor speeds, that it's the ISPs cannot maintain the speeds.
    Now I am between a rock and a hard place. Eircom are saying they do not have a problem. Sky are also saying this.
    Have we got to the stage once more that we can not rely on our providers to keep up with the aims. Because one can never get the speeds one has been promised.
    Waited for a call from a supervisor on Friday last, never came.
    One is to ring me on Monday. I won't hold my breathe for the outcome.

airuser wrote: »
    Well,well. For the last two weeks have had problems with speed on my Sky bb. Had 10M at the hub but receiving 8.65 which has been stable since the beginning,last December.
    Now,getting 8.65 to to 15.30, then it would drop to 4ish. Come 1800hours lucky to get 2.
    Have been on the Sky have run all the usual tests. Still the same.
    Last chat with Sky, they said the would run a few more tests. Yes, they did. Lowered my speed to 8 and just getting less that 7. Again dropping off in the evening. What is disturbing the Agent never informed that my profile was to be reduced.
    Eircom have been out and checked my sockets and line. The Engineer stated that he has spent more time following up poor speeds, that it's the ISPs cannot maintain the speeds.
    Now I am between a rock and a hard place. Eircom are saying they do not have a problem. Sky are also saying this.
    Have we got to the stage once more that we can not rely on our providers to keep up with the aims. Because one can never get the speeds one has been promised.
    Waited for a call from a supervisor on Friday last, never came.
    One is to ring me on Monday. I won't hold my breathe for the outcome.

If I don't get a call back from Sky I'll ring myself on Monday. My problem is I dont understand how I can have 16mb totally stable since April then all of a sudden my speed goes to shīte. Let me know how you get on.

I am the Sky forum as well. Have been contacted by them and they too are going to look into the matter.

Have you checked the router stats

Using Admin and sky in the fields required

Then you finds stats.

Airuser

I am the Sky forum as well. Have been contacted by them and they too are going to look into the matter.

Have you checked the router stats

Using Admin and sky in the fields required

Then you finds stats.

Airuser
    Yeah, my hub has always synced around 16000 but now Its only syncing at 10000 because Sky have lowered it to "stabilise" it.

• Advertisement

They have lowered both our profiles. It has made no difference this end.

In fact my line has got worse. Noise is now 10.6db compared to 7.3db

On the other side from 13.13 to 18.18db.

So the speed has to be effected. Only 2kms from exchange.

Spreed morning now 6.97 compared to 8.65, however drops by 1/2 about mid afternoon. In the evening 1/2 again. All happening 2 weeks.

I have all Sky products and now looking into changing my provider.

Forgot to ask is your speed stable throughout the whole day/ evening.

There are 2 customers of Sky around me but cannot track them. I find there wireless but not the homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Men had been fine for 10 months no issues. Constant DL speed of 5Mb. Now in the evening down to between two and three and then back up in the morning.

Contract is up at the end of the year and I will be moving. Hopefully fibre will be available to me.

Is there any other provider doing the free calls to 23 countries like Sky do? We use it a lot and I would certainly have to have something similar.

adox wrote: »
    Men had been fine for 10 months no issues. Constant DL speed of 5Mb. Now in the evening down to between two and three and then back up in the morning.

Contract is up at the end of the year and I will be moving. Hopefully fibre will be available to me.

Is there any other provider doing the free calls to 23 countries like Sky do? We use it a lot and I would certainly have to have something similar.

It would appear that this loss of speed is only a recent problem. Found that it is happening all over the place. Do not understand why more people are not complaining about it.
    Have got to the stage that Sky UK are looking into as well as Ireland.
    Like you my contract is up in December.
    Again similar to yourself looking at other providers. In Cork I am looking at UPC,VODAFONE and EIRCOM. But from what I am able to see one can make your own package with each of them. My SKY will increase €30 in December also. The period of the trial is over.
    I have all SKY, and do enjoy what they have to offer.
    I may keep SKY TV. and dump the Broadband.
    They other ISP'S provide Fibre with higher speeds. I would be happy if SKY could give me back what I have.
    Airuser

Just did a SpeedTest there on my Nexus 7 2013 and I got 0.17 down and the upload wouldn't complete, the ping was around 282.
    The speeds are very inconsistent.
    Before this my speeds were perfect totally stable and fast now even streaming YouTube in sub HD is a struggle.

Just to prove how slow this internet is... I've been downloading a 23Mb App Update since 8:11 and it's only 75‰... This is ridiculous...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,779 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Got the same issue on sky here going on about 2 weeks now but this weekend have not had 1 second of what could be considered an actual internet connection, test from 1 minute ago

3092428249.png

• Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Similar story here. Had been with Vodafone getting a consistent 2 - 3 Mb. Changed to Sky In January and this moved up to 6 Mb - huzzah! However, speeds at peak hours have been gradually slowing, especially in the last month or so, to the point where I can barely get 1 Mb at peak hours. No hope of streaming video - even low quality - until after 1 am. Even the odd time when speed is better, video is still unusable - seems to me that they're throttling video streaming. On the early customer low rate so putting up with it; will be dumping them once my 12 months is up.

Have had Sky on to me just now.

Eircom called on Friday, nothing wrong this end or their end.

Sky must first get the report from Eircom and look at the situation once more.

Again,ringing me this afternoon.

Let us hope that something can be done.

Any one on this forum who has not contacted Sky. I suggest from the posts here the slow down is nation wide

• Registered Users Posts: 8,744 ✭✭✭degsie

No slowdown for me. In Lucan, Dublin.

• Advertisement

degsie wrote: »
    No slowdown for me. In Lucan, Dublin.

Lucky you

Have had Sky on to me throughout the day

They say there is no problem with bandwidth.

Having a chat trying to sort it out.

Call back to morrow

Airuser

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Another one to add to the list. Have been with Sky since February and was getting consistent download speeds of around 17mbps. That was up until about a week ago.

Now it seems that I am subject to congestion speeds - around 1 or 2mbps at peak times. Around 11mbps at off-peak.

Called Sky and went through the usual checklist/filters routine. Timing for them couldn't be worse - within the next 3 months a lot of people will be coming to the end of their initial contract and unless this problem is fixed.... not many will continue with Sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Vico1612

Same here ...
    Speeds and noise margin go down the drain at 7-8pm
    speeds down from 8-9 Mb to 1Mb now
    A hub reboot brings back Noise margin to normal level but speeds still poor...

Didn't realise how nationwide this problem was...
    I think Sky'll send an Eircom technician to come see if there's as issue as I was talking to a nice woman called Emma at Sky because I never got a call back from "Level 2" she told me that the case was closed because there was deemed to be no fault so I had to go through the usual test socket, wired speed test etc. She raised a case and I should get a call back within the next 3 days. I then asked her about Fibre and whether there was any chance of signing up for a Fibre trial as I'm in a Fibre area, the put me on hold for a bit while she looked for the register page on the website before coming back and saying it had been removed due to huge interest! :( She also told me that she herself has 200Mb UPC fibre and she wouldn't dream of going to Sky/Eircom/Vodafone then she told me she might for the upload!
    Edit: Just look at how varied my speeds are, from over 1Mb one minute to well under it the next.
    Streaming is impossible!
    Link.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

My pings and speeds have got worse since the Sky person changed settings. He lowered the downstream connection speed slightly and it has made things worse. Have to wait until tomorrow to call back. :mad:

HighLine wrote: »
    My pings and speeds have got worse since the Sky person changed settings. He lowered the downstream connection speed slightly and it has made things worse. Have to wait until tomorrow to call back. :mad:
    Exactly what they've done with me!
    Went from totally stable 16 to 14 to 12 and now to 10.
    It's unbearably slow, I watch a fair amount of YouTube, NetFlix, SkyGo and these speeds make that impossible... On the bright side we do all get to enjoy the fcuking Snake Game(!):mad:

As soon as efibre is available I will be off.

It was great to be on their early promotions and have the package so cheap. Had nearly 10 months of hassle free BB but this is just ongoing now in the evenings and there is no way I will put up with it.

It must be a contention issue and thats just not good enough.

adox wrote: »
    As soon as efibre is available I will be off.

It was great to be on their early promotions and have the package so cheap. Had nearly 10 months of hassle free BB but this is just ongoing now in the evenings and there is no way I will put up with it.

It must be a contention issue and thats just not good enough.

Presume one has been in touch with CS
    Airuser

• Advertisement

Presume one has been in touch with CS
    Airuser

Only by email and PM on their forum. I think its a waste of time phoning them and going through all their procedures for no reason.

My contract is up at the end of January but I will move before then, especially if fibre is available.

Advertisement