Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone received a CJA confirmation programme letter from AIB

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭mb20064

I got a letter from the AIB concerning Customer Records Update asking for a copy of my passport and whatnot! - just wondering did many people get it and what is it really needed for?

BTW not 100% sure this is posted in the right forum - understand if its gets moved.... sorry about that!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

One of my family members got that.

I guess it's for old accounts they've no ID on record for that were opened before modern money laundering and snooping on account holder legislation came in.

I've no doubt the authorities would prefer to have a PPS + photo ID linked to every account for anti-money laundering, tax investigations and welfare investigations etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,048 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

mb20064 wrote: »
    I got a letter from the AIB concerning Customer Records Update asking for a copy of my passport and whatnot! - just wondering did many people get it and what is it really needed for?

BTW not 100% sure this is posted in the right forum - understand if its gets moved.... sorry about that!!

Phone branch directly to find out.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

I would definitely query it though just on the off chance it's an elaborate scam.

It looked legit, but you'd never know!

I'd say they'll have a hard job getting everyone to send in that kind of documentation though. It's a bit of a pain in the arse to have to send off all that kind of material just to keep the bank happy. Most people probably won't bother.

Yeah, it did look legit alright but my account is about four years old..... not exactly an ancient account. TBH the whole thing isn't exactly at the top of my to do list!! If they need it that much they'll phone me up to remind me..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭BobMc

Its legit alright, seems alot of AIB, I do photocopying in my shop and dozens of customers have been getting the letters, myself and my dad also got them I've been banking with the 28yrs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

My father got one recently. He has an account with the bank that he does not use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

My mam also got one. She never rushed getting it in, went in once she got her new drivers licence and they photocopied in branch. No bothers there

This post has been deleted.

Yeah, that's exactly my plan - if it were that important there would have been a lot more notice about it I would have thought. Like I said in my last post, if they're desperate for it they can phone me up to remind me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Theres already a big thread on it.

Ignore it and let AIB do their job themselves instead of having you do it for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 46 bigbarginhunter

I got one months ago, ignored it haven't heard from them since.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,048 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Am toying around with the idea of asking them for their passport photo and some form of verification signe by a different bank to prove that the person I al talkign to IS the passport holder ...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Got one myself too a few weeks ago.

"Dear Renegade Mechanic.

As you may be aware, AIB is required under the criminal justice (Money Laundering and Terrorist Financing) act 2010 to obtain and hold photo identification and proof of address for all customers."

What happens if I dont send it in because to be honest, they have my address obviously enough and my number and I dont feel they should have any more than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

"Dear Renegade Mechanic.

As you may be aware, AIB is required under the criminal justice (Money Laundering and Terrorist Financing) act 2010 to obtain and hold photo identification and proof of address for all customers."

What happens if I dont send it in because to be honest, they have my address obviously enough and my number and I dont feel they should have any more than that.

They'll probably label you a terrorist:D:D:D

Seriously though, let them sing for their info.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Lennyzip

"Dear Renegade Mechanic.

Yes I received it a couple of months ago . Was skeptical myself so went into my local branch with the letter and enquiried about it . It's genuine . Was told if I didn't send it off I might wouldnt be able to open any new accounts with the bank . So I sent it off , no big deal .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Lennyzip wrote: »
    Yes I received it a couple of months ago . Was skeptical myself so went into my local branch with the letter and enquiried about it . It's genuine . Was told if I didn't send it off I might wouldnt be able to open any new accounts with the bank . So I sent it off , no big deal .

Would probably refuse loans then aswell.. Dammit Ill probably have to do it then..

They'll probably label you a terrorist:D:D:D

Seriously though, let them sing for their info.

The letter is probably their diplomatic way of telling me how to avoid a U.S drone strike.:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I have my own account opened by my patents when I was a couple of weeks old so no ID then, myself and my wife opened a joint account so they have my passport for that, you'd think They'd check

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

I don't work for them but I could see the following situation arising.

- The bank are required to hold the documentation under the 2010 CJA.
    - For whatever reason they can't find yours.
    - They send you a letter looking for it.
    - You ignore it.
    - They send a second letter.
    - You ignore it.
    - They send a third letter which may suggest that they might not be able to continue offering you banking facilities. They give you a date to respond by.
    - You ignore it and the date passes.
    - They send you a fourth letter stating that your account will no longer be operational [i.e. no further transactions permitted] by a certain date in the future [you might get 60 days notice]. The letter will probably say that you can avoid this unwelcome situation by providing the documentation.
    - The date passes and your account is blocked.
    - You complain to the bank and get nowhere.
    - You take your complaint to the Ombudsman.
    - The Ombudsman asks to see the paper trail.
    - The Ombudsman seeks that the bank gave the customer four opportunities to provide documentation that the bank are legally obliged to hold.
    - The complaint is not upheld i.e. The Ombudsman's ruling says that the bank are entitled to block the account.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

nlgbbbblth wrote: »

- You ignore it.
    - You ignore it.
    - They send a third letter which may suggest that they might not be able to continue offering you banking facilities. They give you a date to respond by.
    - They send you a fourth letter stating that your account will no longer be operational [i.e. no further transactions permitted] by a certain date in the future [you might get 60 days notice]. The letter will probably say that you can avoid this unwelcome situation by providing the documentation.
    - The Ombudsman seeks that the bank gave the customer four opportunities to provide documentation that the bank are legally obliged to hold.
    - The complaint is not upheld i.e. The Ombudsman's ruling says that the bank are entitled to block the account.

You've forgotten the part where they have admitted that they actually do have this information for the vast majority of customers.

Have they admitted that in writing or is it just hearsay?

ps - a file note stating "we had identification and address verification for this person at one stage" is not the same as actually holding certified copies of same.

- You ignore it.
    - You ignore it.

You forgot the part where I moved all my accounts with any value elsewhere out of AIB because of their incompetence and just left them with the debt, good luck to them locking me out of repaying the mortgage!

Have they admitted that in writing or is it just hearsay?

Multiple people have called them and had them say they already had the documents.

In my case they told me that they simply didn't want to bother with having to contact all the branches and get the branches to scan all the hard copies.

And this makes sense.

The alternative would be that they've lost the IDs of many thousands of customers - a massive data privacy breach which would be in the news.

Don't believe me? Simply call them and ask them. They were very upfront with me and offered to get the info from my branch, which they could see on ther system existed.

So.

It's actually easier for them to contact the branch and ask them to send over their copies as opposed to antagonising the customer by looking for the information again.

That's the way I'd play it but maybe I'm too nice.

It's actually easier for them to contact the branch and ask them to send over their copies as opposed to antagonising the customer by looking for the information again.

That's the way I'd play it but maybe I'm too nice.

It's actually a LOT cheaper to send out letters and threaten customers than it is to hire staff to digitize and organize thousands of documents from dozens of branches.

Easier too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Here's what I'm doing.
    I've asked aib to come to me to copy my docs
    (Which they won't)
    I'd arrange it to be out of hours, as I'm busy working to pay taxes to keep them from goin bust
    Then I'd ask them their names, and ring the bank for someone to confirm what they look like-- there'll be no one there to confirm what they look like, so I'll send them on their way

It's either that or invoicing them a grand plus outlay for keeping them inaide the law

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭chasm

I received one of these letters recently and sent back a copy of my drivers licence. They have since replied saying the identification documentation they received does not meet the regulatory requirements. According to the form they sent me, on a valid licence all 3 sections are required with all info on licence visible. All details of name, d.o.b. , date issued and expiry dates should be clearly visible. They enclosed the copy I had sent them and I honestly cannot see why it wasn't adequate, as it meets all those requirements. Will give them a call later if I get time as I am fairly certain my local branch took copies of my ID a few years ago when I lodged a large cheque.

• Advertisement

I actually don't have any of the documentation they want as my drivers licence is in my married name and my passport is out of date. I don't have any of the other ones.

I'm considering sending in a photocopy of the long form of my birth cert. I'll have to photocopy it in 2 pieces as it's longer than a4. I could add a baby photo. Pity I can't find a copy of my baptismal cert..........

Advertisement